November 2018 Columnist of the Month - Don Franc wins!

What’s up everybody? Hope you’re all doing well. So yeah, I'm not great at doing this small talk bit at the beginning. How about that local sports team, huh?

Anyway. It’s that time again. Last time out we had a smaller cohort than we are used to but we’ve seen a lot more columnists from twice as many people this time around, which is great to see. Hopefully we’ll be able to continue that momentum going from here on through into the Wrestlemania season. That's a question for the future though, as right now we're just here to concentrate on what has happened in the past month, and though I wasn't around as much as I'd wanted to be in the last week or so I thought there were some very strong entries this time around, for your consideration.

Before we begin though, a quick refresher on the rules (with credit to Steve for writing 'em).

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.

a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.

b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well.
    Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Here is the list of eligible columns for the month – credit and thanks to Mizfan for providing the list.

Anonymous
    -Inside the Mind 2018: Fuck you 4

Burn11nMyLight
    -Smackdown Review 11/06/2018
    -The Heel Scale
    -Smackdown Review 11/13/2018
    -Reviews RAW AND SMACKDOWN! 11/21/2018
    -RAW Review 11/26/2018

Don Franc (The New Event)
    -Roman’s Revenge, Dean’s Turn & Rollins’ Redemption
    -Nostalgia (AKA Birthday Blues)
    -History Sucks!
    -The Jobber
    -The Broken Face Of Becky Lynch
    -What If Roman Reigns Went After Seth Rollins?

DynamiteBillington
    -Fact or Fiction: Forum Edition (2 entries, et al)

JacobWrestledGod
    -Cancer
    -Dear Stan

Kingzak13
    -Survivor Series/Wargames 2018 Predictions

Kleckamania
    -And Now For Something Completely Different…
    -Who Am I?
    -What Am I Thankful For?

Mizfan (The Life & Times of Bobby Heenan)
    -The Tornado & The Nightstick (February ’91)
    -A Perfect(ish) Wrestlemania (March ’91)
    -Bugs Piper & Bobby “The Duck” Heenan (April ’91)

Prime Time (Prime Time Profiles)
    -Castaway – with Mizfan (1/2)
    -Take Up They Wrestling Boots and Walk – Why So Serious?
    -James E. Cornette
    -Hulk Hogan
    -Roman Reigns

SIXTEENPOUNDHAM
    -Smark is the New Mark- Revivor Series

SkitZ
    -Taste My Rainbow ~ P.S. Eliminator & His Rags to Stitches Story

Skulduggery
    -Half Luck, Half Skul: The General Manager How-To (Winning Survivor Series)

The B Man
    -The B-Man Says….

Voting ends on Monday, December 10th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

I now declare the voting for COTM November '18..... open!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Column = Cancer.

Columnist has to be Don though, didn't realise quite how much he'd pumped out this month! All quality work too.

Column: And Now For Something Completely Different
    Columnist: Prime Time though Don no doubt deserves recognition for his return efforts and honestly should be in line for a MP call up if he keeps up with the regular current events focus.
    Last edited by SirSam; 1 Week Ago at 05:28 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

Column: Cancer, by JacobWrestledGod. Fuck cancer.

Columnist: Don, dude churned out a good column 6 times this month.

Column: Anonymous - Inside the Mind 2018: Fuck you 4 - Can't tell you just how powerful it was when he flipped the switch on Cena. "Most of all, fuck you because I miss you."

Columnist: Prime Time

Column: Cancer by JacobWrestledGod

The Brain
    Now this is what I'm talking about! Some great competition this month, loving a lot of this. Could have easily voted for Burn, JWG, or Kleck, but I think it's right that it comes down between Don and Pete. I'll put my vote in for Don but it's a near thing!

It's easier to pick individual column, there were some real winners like Skul and Nony popping in, but it's got to be Cancer.

"What Am I Thankful For" really kicked the guts out of me too though.

I've caught up on some of the columns posted last month and tend to agree with the majority. November boiled down to Burn, Don and Prime. Don's a tenacious bastard like Zak and he's come on strong in recent months since the reset. I think the dude deserves his due and therefore my vote for Columnist of the Month goes to Don Franc.

Choosing a singular column was even tougher. Kleck's What Am I Thankful For? hit me right in the feels. Loved Nony's Fuck You 4 too but I'm a sucker for those personal pieces and Jacob really delved deep so my vote also goes to JWG's Cancer.

I can't look past Don for columnist. He has come back stronger than ever.

My pal JW gets column though for Cancer. Palpable writing.

Lots of solid writing around here!

Some great columns this month. Even though Prime Time is my direct competition I have to vote for him as he put out a great body of work for the month.

Column is much tougher as Nony, Kleck and JWG has great columns this month. But I'm going to have to go for Cancer by JWG

I think I agree with the consensus that this one belongs to Don Franc.

But thanks to everyone that has either thrown a vote my way or mentioned my shit in their post.

Alright, so there's another one in the books. The columnist voting was split entirely between two writers this time around, but when all is said and done we have our first back-to-back first time winners since Aug/Sep of 2017. Join me in congratulating Don Franc, who ended up winning by two votes in the end over... well, me.... who is runner-up for the third consecutive month. But speaking personally, I think this has been coming ever since Don's return - he was good before he left but has been better since he came back, so it was just a matter of time. Here's the breakdown for people interested in the tally:

Don Franc– 6
    Prime Time – 4

It looked like there was going to be more competition in the column of the month category, but after a few early votes went in different directions there was just a torrent of votes for one very worthy column. So please also extend your congratulations to JacobWrestledGod for 'Cancer'.

Cancer – 7
    And now for something completely different – 1
    Fuck You 4 – 1

Congratulations to both our winners, and thanks to all the writers who made for a great month in the CF. Let's keep that going for 2019, shall we?

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Don never won this before? Wow.

Congratulations Don & JWG

Great stuff Don welcome to the COTM Club, real testament to hard work and improvement, you’ve been on fire since you got back. Also top stuff JWG always a great contributor, I still remember Grids from last year and I know there are other great pieces I’ve read by yourself.

Steve is still super busy working a thousand hours a week so I’ll be happy to post your main page piece Don. I can either take something you’ve already written here or you can post a new column. You can dm me the details here or hit me up on twitter too. No rush though.

@Sir_Samuel

Thank you all for being so kind. Cancer is a extremely personal piece, I had to dig deep into the faded memories, it’s been more than 23 years ago. I just hope Reigns get better. I really do. Let’s not take our lives for granted.... always love your ur family because we never know.

Finally, The Don has won Column.. Of.. The month! I'm not going to lie to you guys, I specifically worked my ass off in November to ensure that I win. I ran out of steam towards the end of the month but I was probably burnt out after putting out columns every 3-4 days. Nevertheless, as D.O.N, I tired numerous months to give it my all and it felt like I was always overlooked. Therefore, it's an amazing feeling to win something that I've wanted for so long.

In the three months since I've been back I've won something everything month and that feels good too. I won't win anything for December because I'm taking a break this month. But rest assured, 2019 I plan to dominate this place

Thanks to all of those who voted for and congrats to JWG for winning Column of the month. It was most deserved.