Columns Forum End Of Year Awards Nominations & Discussion

The end of the year is fast approaching and with it comes the annual LOP End of Year Awards where we celebrate the best of Lord of Pain!

Voting will commence when we hit January but as there are a number of categories for your consideration I thought I’d put up a thread where we can campaign, discuss and talk trash about one another beforehand. One important difference between this and COTM is that you can campaign for yourself so please vote for me for Main Page Columnist of the Year!.

Unfortunately the great board crash of May has severely affected our ability to go back and research this year but at least those of us that haven’t pickled our brains with booze (I’m looking at you ‘Nony) still have our memories so we will venture forth nonetheless.

The categories are:
    Columns Forum Columnist of the Year
    Main Page Columnist of the Year
    Column of the Year (normal)
    Column of the Year (creative)
    Columns Forum Best Series
    Main Page Best Series
    LOP Radio Show of the Year
    LOP Radio Personality of the Year
    Best Newcomer
    Most Improved Columnist
    Most Missed User
    Best Social Media Presence

Here are a few thoughts from myself. These are by no means an extensive list so please put forward your own nominations.

Columns Forum Columnist of the Year (2017: Steve)
    Favourites: Mizfan & Prime Time
    Outsiders: Mysitc/Shane, Benjamin Button, Kleckamania, Rob

Despite there being less columns than other years around these parts it doesn’t mean there has not been some incredible contributions by certain authors. My favourites here are Mizfan & Prime Time because of the regularity of their quality writing. Mizfan’s two main series The Life of Times of Bobby Heenan & Mizfan’s Match of the Year mean there is rarely a month where he hasn’t posted 4 or more pieces and that consistency has earnt him a huge 3 columnists of the month awards.

Not to be out done, Prime Time’s glorious return to the CF has come with a multitude of series: Take Up They Wrestling Boots & Walk, LOP Heavyweight Championships, The Pencil, Castaway and Part Time Profiles explore the people who shaped wrestling to the fans that love it and everything in between. Even though he only won one Columnist of the Month award he was runner up in at least two, potentially three months.

The Outsiders are all guys who have produced absolute quality but perhaps at a less frantic rate as Mizfan and PT. All of them are well worth looking at, Mystic & Benny put on a hell of a series in the run up to All In and Benny also put together a fantastic 10 Commandments series featuring a number of LOP regulars.

Kleckamania started the year off very strong with his Valentine’s Day Love series and has made some great contributions on top of that throughout the year.

The now retired Rob added two columnists of the month accolades to his name before his mid-year retirement and also had some of the most fun series around, kicking off the year with the Royal Rumble and also putting together the always entertaining DOA.

Main Page Columnist of the Year (2017: ‘Plan)
    Favourites: ‘Plan & The Implications
    Outsiders: Doc, Tito, Sir Sam (I guess)

This is a hard one for me to judge however across the year there are a few standout writers.

Last year’s winner 'Plan started the year off at a gallop, regularly putting out two columns a week, between his Raw View series, Just Business and his TRSOP previews as well as having a fantastic showing in the Columns Forum Tournament. However even by his own admission slowed things down in the third quarter of the year as he focused on other things. Looks like things have picked back up for LOP’s busiest in the last two months of the year but will it be enough to see him take the award in back to back years.

My other favourite The Implications joined the Main Page late 2017 and while he took a minute to find his feet his series Imp’s Adventures has been potentially the most consistent series on the main page, chronicling with his signature witt Imp’s up and down relationship with the WWE as well as taking an in depth look at a number of NJPW shows and giving newbies a guide to some of their most important characters as well.

It is strange to think of Doc or Tito as ‘outsiders’ given how they have contributed to the site over the years but while it would be impossible to ignore the two biggest retirees of the year Doc had a hard year by his own admission and Tito is something of a divisive taste.

As for little old Sir Sam, well I like to think I’m something of a chance. Between Sir Sam’s Court and my (admittedly now dormant) Yes Relived series I have written the third highest number of columns of any main pager behind Tito & ‘Plan despite only going up in March. In the last few months in particular I think I’ve really hit my stride and regularly get a whole bunch of comments on my pieces about current events. And hey at least consider me an alternative to letting ‘Plan go back to back.

Column of the Year (normal) (2017: Requiem For A Weaseal by Mizfan)
    Sadly it will be a little hard to judge the Column of the Year awards as many great pieces have been lost to the board reset (unless someone wants to repost their stuff from before May) but here are the pieces I think deserve a mention.

Prime Time on Wrestling XIX - The Morality of Wrestling by Prime Time
    Monoploy Column by Mizfan (during the Tournament)
    Take Up Thy Wrestling Boots & Walk: Why So Serious by Prime Time
    Ben & Mystic’s Go Home All In Special by Benjamin Button & Mystic

Column of the Year (creative) (2017: Pieces of Meat by Anonymous)
    Brotherhood by Steve (from the Tournament)
    Dusty Down From Heaven by Benjamin Button & Mystic
    Inside The Mind: StoryTime 21 by Anonymous
    And Now For Something Completely Different by Kleckamania

Also it is ineligible here because he is a main pager but my favourite column of the year was ‘Plan’s adaptation of Romeo & Juliet in the tournament - would be great if that could get posted up somewhere.

Columns Forum Best Series (2017: The Life & Times of Bobby Heenan by Mizfan)
    The Life & Times of Bobby Heenan by Mizfan
    Mizfan’s Match of the Year by Mizfan
    The LOP World Heavyweight Championship by Prime Time feat. Mizfan, Steve, Mazza & Uncle Joe
    Half Luck, Half Skull: April & August Madness: The Greatest Wrestlemania & Summer Slam Matches by Skullduggery & friends
    DOA by Rob & friends
    Love Series by Kleckamania
    Fact or Fiction Forum Edition by Dynamite Billington & Friends
    Castaway by Prime Time & friends

Main Page Best Series (2017: Unsure)
    Greatest Cruiserweight Match of All Time by Doc
    Greatest New Gen Match of All Time by ‘Plan & Doc
    Greatest Midcard Match of All Time by Doc & Maverick
    Power 10 by Mazza
    LOP Fantasty Draft by TypeItInMan & friends
    Bearly Reviewing by Oliver & BEAR
    CoolPoints NXT Reviews by JCool
    205 Live Reviews by 205 Clive
    The 5 Stories That Defined 2018 by Sir Sam

LOP Radio Show of the Year (2017: The Late Shift by Steve)
    You guys can look up the shows yourselves however I feel like two shows really stand out this year:
    Aftershock & Retroshock by Steve & ‘Plan - since starting together in April these two have really gelled together as the regular PPV review team on LOP Radio and adding in bonus Retro Reviews has only made their offering stronger.

WCW The Legacy Series by Mizfan & Mysitc - Mizfan & Mystic wrapped up their epic series chronicling the rise and fall of WCW. To me the passion of these two just bled through the speakers particularly when it came to the end of the series and they had to relive the death of a promotion they loved.

LOP Radio Personality of the Year (2017: Steve)
    There are a host of personalities to love on LOP Radio. I think my picks would be split between a few guys:
    ‘Plan who has quickly found himself everywhere on the podcast part of LOP, between TRSOTP, the two Shocks and his new show Sports Entertainment is dead he is struggling to remember just what he said on what show. The guy does deserve serious kudos for taking on the live Aftershocks which see him stay up all night and head to bed as late as 8am in the morning. Insanity.

Steve who sadly had to call time on The Late Shift towards the end of the year but nonetheless reviewed every Raw, Smackdown and WWE PPV for most of 2018, no mean feat.

Also I just feel like Imp is the most likeable guy on LOP and deserves a shout out here given this is about personality.

Best Newcomer (2017: SirSam)
    Sadly this is a category that doesn’t really get off the ground this year. While we have had a few fantastic rookies such as Pennycock Mills, The Futurist, Heelpastor, or Canadian Cripple post a handful of columns each, none have stuck quite the way the Class of 2017 did (shoutouts to my boys Type & 205Clive).

Most Improved Columnist (2017: 205Clive)
    I'm gona give KingZak a shout out here. His improvement has been gradual but noticeable and is a testament to his hard work. He even took out his first COTM win for October

The Mizfan Memorial Feedbacker of the Year (2017: Mizfan)
    This one seems pretty clear. If you have a look at the number of comments posted on the LOP forum you will see that nearly 25% of all the comments across LOP have come from either Prime Time or Mizfan.

Flip a coin, play scissors, paper, rock with yourself, I don’t mind this is a 50/50 call.

Also as a side note if you include myself in that number the percentage jumps to 33% - get posting people!

Most Missed User (2017: JSR-13)
    Fill your boots lads, there are plenty of old timers that deserve to be SHAMED for going missing when LOP would love to have them. My personal pick is Johnny Boomerang because he said he was such fun in the tournament, said he was going to hang around but didn't.

If you want to go more tributary then I think either Steve or Rob whose absences in the later half of the year have been keenly felt.

Best Social Media Presence (2017: The Doc)
    Honestly I’m not too sure how you judge this one. I’d go with Imp because he always makes me laugh with his gifs and emojis but ‘Plan, Rich Latta and Doc would probably have to be in the conversation.

And I think that is it. Man I forgot how rough formatting things here in the CF can be. If I forgot anything please let me know and let's have at it in the comments.
    Last edited by SirSam; 1 Week Ago at 03:48 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

Just a heads up that we usually vote in private.... And wait until the year has finished!

I can get to the 'missing' post if needed....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Forgotten Ponder
    MAZZA DOESN'T RUN THE POWER 10, I DO #HostileTakeover

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    No mention of Fact or Fiction in the Series category

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    No mention of Fact or Fiction in the Series category
    Fair call. It has more views than anything else here in the forum. I'll add it to my list above however remember it is just a guide not a extensive list of nominations particularly when it comes to the columns of the year.

@Sir_Samuel

So long as everyone votes for it

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I do have a list of all the columns from before the crash. one of the benefits of The Top Trumps series now that I look back at it.

Anyone want the list or we okay to remember everything?
    *Ghostly wailing*

Would definitely be a good memory jogger

If you want to post it up then go for it.

@Sir_Samuel

Anyone got other suggestions particularly around column of the year?

I think Cancer by JWG probably deserves a look given how it romped home in the November COTM Awards. Also I just remembered Blackheart by Rob from April before the first Gargano/Ciampa match (I think). It got a quite a vote in the COTM Awards too.

Also we should certainly consider Don Franc for most improved. Has been on fire since returning and just won his first COTM award
    Last edited by SirSam; 2 Days Ago at 02:12 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

Here are some of the ones from CSI earlier in the year that I would consider to be worthy of getting some attention for Column of the Year:

Armageddon This Right? by Jay Rang
    Ponds of Anarchy by Mazza
    One Last Question by Mavsman
    Nothing Half so Melancholy by Samuel 'Plan

Some I can't recall the exact titles on...if anyone does recall, help me out!

Doc's Round 3 column on Masochism
    'Plan's Round 1 column on Shakespeare
    SirSam's Round 3 column on Masochism
    Mazza's Round 3 column on A Brand New Wrestling Move (newspaper article style!)
    mizfan's Round 1 column on Board Games
    Maverick's Round 1 column on Board Games (Key to the Kingdom)
    Mavsman's Semi-Finals (? I think) column on Roman Reigns as though a high school wrestler

And some non-CSI ones that popped into my head...

Oliver's Twist: Descent into Madness by Oliver
    Take Up Thy Wrestling Boots and Walk: Intergender by Prime Time

Surely there are more that I'm not remembering, but those are my contributions so far!