View Poll Results: What was the best pop single of 2018?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drake, "God's Plan"

1 11.11%
  • Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa, "One Kiss"

0 0%
  • Drake, "In My Feelings"

0 0%
  • Calvin Harris & Sam Smith, "Promises"

0 0%
  • Maroon 5 & Cardi B, "Girls Like You"

0 0%
  • Ariana Grande, "Thank U, Next"

2 22.22%
  • Other (specify below)

6 66.67%

LoP Single of the Year 2018

We're almost at the end of the year so time to reflect and vote on what was the pop single of the year. Poll will close a few weeks into January to give everyone a good chance at voting on this.

I've gone with things that have done well in either the Billboard or UK singles chart for the year, because then it takes any question as to what is a 'pop' song and all those questions of genre out of the equation. If you don't like what's there, taking it up with the public, not me!

As always, if you have something else to add make use of the 'other' option.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Is there a poll or something?

You can't see it?

I can, so if it's just me that's something I need to look into....

No poll on mobile. Iíll check when I get home and have access to my laptop.

Childish Gambino - This Is America

@Sir_Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    No poll on mobile. I’ll check when I get home and have access to my laptop.
    Very strange, can see it on my mobile.

If anyone else is having trouble let me know, though I think some other people can see it.

The answer this year is No Tears Left To Cry and I don't think it's particularly close.

Kerosine by Burn the Priest/Lamb of God (they're the same band)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    The answer this year is No Tears Left To Cry and I don't think it's particularly close.
    Ariana gets all the love right now because of her "tumultuous" year. Take away Mac Miller dying and the engagement/break up with dumbass from SNL, and she would just be having another mediocre year. (This comes from someone that absolutely love "No Tears Left To Cry" and rolls down the window and sings at people driving by.)

Maroon 5 w/ Cardi B was one of my fav songs of the year, along with Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa. (I love everything Dua Lipa does... she's gonna go far in the pop game.)

The correct answer is "other", though. Anything Halsey has been on, whether it's her own songs or collabs with others, has been straight fire all year. (We'll even go back a few years ago when she really broke out on The Chainsmokers's "Closer".)

The usual suspects for me would be Cardi B's "I Like It", and Ari's, "No Tears Left To Cry", but I'm biased towards her because I have an overwhelming desire to bang her like a steel drum at a Recycled Percussion concert...

The music scene is a bit bleak these days imo, but there is some good stuff if you keep an open ear.

The Internet, "It Gets Better" retro vibe, good lyrics, pristine vocals

Noname, "Self" shows off that she's one of the greatest female MC's ever. Already.

Foster The People, "Sit Next To Me" solid, laid back track.

My personal favorite this year though is Courtney Barnett's, "Need A Little Time". Slow building, but once that guitar solo hits the song just transcends to a whole new level.

Girls are kind of dominating music this year honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post

My personal favorite this year though is Courtney Barnett's, "Need A Little Time". Slow building, but once that guitar solo hits the song just transcends to a whole new level.
    Great call on that one. It is so cool seeing Barnett getting the props she deserves. Fantastic singer songwriter.

@Sir_Samuel

We built this City- the LadBaby version.

Olright time for a long long post.

I have been listening a lot of music this year due to my spotify premium, and I am asian so I listen to a lot of music from asian artists as well.

Here's my biggie list of singles, broken down in genre:

1) Metal/ Noise Rock/ Alternative/ Post hard-core/ Punk

I grew up listening to a lot of post hardcore/emocore, then transition to hard rock, metal, death metal etc. Here are my top picks:

Ghosts - Rats

This song is such a gleefully, unrelentingly old school metal song that it instantly brought a smile to my face. RATZZZZZ..... The clear old school vocals, dueling guitar solos, exploding power chords, soaring choir completed with the classic "woah woah"... Production is crisp, you can hear everything clearly, without muddy vocals or guitars hiding in the mix. Perhaps one of the most straight forward and hoonest metal performances of the year, it's that simply solid.

IDLES - DANNY NEDELKO

It hasn't been a very strong year for punk musically but with such a tumultuous political climate from UK to US to so many nations, punk's lyricism is almost meant to be explosive this year. But it's so silly to hear so many punk songs goes "fuck Trump" to the point it's stale and old.

This song, however, spits fire of UNITY through its lyrics, dispelling the fears of immigration. ďDanny NedelkoĒ is the name from one of the bandís close friends (and Ukrainian immigrant). I really just love the postpunk influences on here as well, simple driving drums coupled with simple punchy hooks. Just watch the lyrics here, it's beautiful:

My blood brother is an immigrant
    A beautiful immigrant

My blood brother's Freddie Mercury
    A Nigerian mother of three

He's made of bones, he's made of blood
    He's made of flesh, he's made of love
    He's made of you, he's made of me
    Unity

Fear leads to panic, panic leads to pain
    Pain leads to anger, anger leads to hate
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, ah, ah, ah, ah
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, ah, ah, ah, ah
    Danny Nedelko
    Just beautiful. Rather than a "fuck Trump", this songs just says "let's love."

Daughters- Satan in the Wait

Have you ever condense the most disturbing horror movies into a single 7 minutes short that strips down your soul and cuts your skin and messes up your entire mind? This track requires you to just sit down and listen with headphones in a dark room contemplating if the devil is real. It's not brutal like grind metal that is just a wall of noise. No, this is art house horror slowly, methodically whispering at your ear the jump scares that never come, the horror slowly creeping up on you like a serial killer. There haven't been a band that managed to capture horror in a bottle as much as Daughters did in this album, and this track is just one of many that stood out like your greatest nightmare chewing, biting on your neck.

harutosyura- NARASHITE

Japan dropped one of the most surprising post-hardcore album that blended hip hop, noise pop, hard rock, j-pop into an experimental whirlwind. This song is produced with a great clear punchy sound that is the typical excellent production in Japan, passionately performed and just infectious. I couldn't find NARASHITE MTV but found the live performance of my favorite track, and this is just intense.

i grew up listening (and even performing on vocals) on post-hardcore and emo-core, and this song still surprise me with its shouty vocals and rapping and amazing build up. The rap delivery is just awesome. I love it. Just straight in your face, dramatic music, even with the language barrier I find myself just coming back to this track over and over again.

That ends the rock list for me this year. On to the Pop!

2) Pop

Janelle MonŠe Ė Make Me Feel

Without question, this is my favourite pop single of the year. It's sexy, it's playful, Janelle MonŠe's vocals are so smart and teasing and playful, the pre-chorus jumping in with some sudden heavy synths was a powerful exclamation point. The constant tongue claps "tsk-tsk" sounds throughout the song is clever, sexy and refreshing. The groove is just spot on. I can't praise this enough., 10/10.

Lizzo Ė - Boys

Hot damn, elements of old school rap, amazing guitars, playful vocals and harmonies. Raw, really sticky hooks, I bob my head to this like unknowingly all the time. The music video is also so funny and sexy, confident, just all round fun, everything you want in a head bobbing pop song.

That ends the pop list for me this year. On to the Folk!

Last edited by JacobWrestledGod; 12-27-2018 at 09:39 PM.

3) Folk/ Country

Julia Holter - I Shall Love 2

I actually saw Julia Holter live in 2015 at the Neon Lights festival in Singapore, and wasn't too impressed as her music doesn't translate well in a hyped, happy and loud outdoor festival. The list included folk powerhouse Rachel Yamagata and Damien Rice, so she wasn't too outstanding. However, forward to 2018, she dropped this amazing layered, dense and vocally beautiful folk song that builds up to a crescendo of harmonies just repeatedly washing me over and over. This is top notch, laid back, close your eyes on headphones music. I adore this.

Kurt Vile - Loading Zones

Similar to Rats by Ghost, this is unrelentingly old school but packed with fresh production and wonderfully layered guitars for a country song. The vocals is smooth and the backing vocals is stirring, the voice distortion vocals moving in and out of the mix is enticing, the song writing - loading zones - is thought-provoking too. It's the type of song that's easy on the ears, and yet full of ideas and given its short length, still manages to portray a lot of emotions and ideas. A simple country song packed with some very dense musical layers.

Back is achin' but I cannot sleep
    'Cause I want to be like I am the mayor of some godforsaken town
    Sure, they knighted me yesterday
    But who needs armor when I have an exoskeleton?
    Really smart lyrics.

That's all for folk and country, onto Chinese music:

3) Chinese Pop/ Live performances

I added this category as i wanna expose you guys to some really solid Chinese music. And I mean really top notch music that you wouldn't have otherwise got any chance to listen to. I also try to choose the video with english subtitles so you can know the lyrics if that's what you want.

Crowd Lu 盧廣仲 - 《The Fish》魚仔 (Pop Ballad)

When it comes to ballads and love songs, Asians completely blow the current crop of English singers IMO. Crowd Lu, who recently won song of the year in the Golden Melody 2018 Awards with《The Fish》魚仔, is the chinese version of Ed Sheeran. His vocals and songwriting, however, far surpass Sheeran's vocals and lyrics.

This song was mandarin in the verses, then switched to the Taiwanese native Hokkien in the chours, then in the final verses he switched back to a mandarin chrous, which in itself is such a clever songwriting move. The symbolism of a fish swimming back and forth is picture perfect in depicting a man having fleeting thoughts and confused about his relationship with his love. The vocals are strong, none of those whispery falsetto that lots of pop artists like to use. Just an all rounded,honest. wholesome, beautifully performed song.

Chenyu Hua 华晨宇 - 《"Dad, I’m Home"》爸,我回来了 (Sad Ballad)

I cried, I cried and I cried.

Get your paper tower ready. Read the lyrics, don't miss it.

This was a singing competition (Singer 2018) where recording artists compete with alternate versions of popular songs. This song was originally a rap song by king of mando-pop Jay Chou, but then Chenyu Hua 华晨宇 re-arranged it as a spoken story ballad on piano. Chenyu Hua 华晨宇 grew up in a broken family. His parents were divorced, and in Asian culture, divorces are very ugly, usually as a final resort. His dad abandoned him, and the few times they do meet, his dad berated and mocked him on his choice to pursue music. You can see that this song has a special meaning to him.

The emotions on this are so powerful, and I teared many times. One of my favourite go-to songs of the year, unique, emotional and powerful, a statement of solidarity to all who had suffered from family abuse and violence.

Double Angel 打包安琪 - 《Nicholas Rhapsody》尼古拉斯狂想曲 (Kawaii Death Metal)

This is the unlikeliest duo, a death metal chick with an amazing screaming voice, and a cutesy j-pop vocalist. They auditioned separately but the production team of the singing competition (Sing China 2018) put them into the same team as Double Angel. The song, Nicholas Rhapsody. was produced by the mentor, Nicholas Tse, a famous rock star in Hong Kong, using different songs from the opposing team's mentor, Jay Chou, to create a death metal/ Kawaii metal j-pop song. The hooks on this song, the vocal performances, the arrangements are so amazingly polished for 2 young girls in a singing competition. Amazing.

I am done with chinese pop, now onto the top genre - Hip Hop.

Last edited by JacobWrestledGod; 12-27-2018 at 11:53 PM.

5) Hip Hop

Amazing year for hip hop, with trap on top again but varied with a lot of other types of raps. i am not an expert on rap music but I did dive a lot into the different top releases and here are my personal favs:

Travis Scott/Drake - SICKO MODE

I know the hype on this song keeps some people away, but this mind-bending, multi-phased trap music takes everything that defines today's trap music and spin it into an epic, smooth and wonderfully psychedelic trip. i just love the flow from both of them, the beats are pretty infectious. Put it this way, trap music has always been like about the flow (Triplet flow all the time over and over again) and more about the mood, beats, and the hype. This song delivers in spades what today's trap music is about and i can't help but return to this track once in a while just to lay back and experience the style of today.

Kanye West - Wouldn't Leave

This is a deeply personal love letter from Kanye to Kim. The lyrics explored his state of mind and his relationship with Kim after he dropped the "Slavery is a choice" line and embroiled himself in the whole debacle.

They said, "Build your own, " I said, "How, Sway?"
    I said, "Slavery a choice, " they said, "How, Ye?"
    Just imagine if they caught me on a wild day
    Now I'm on fifty blogs gettin' fifty calls
    My wife callin', screamin', say, "We 'bout to lose it all!"
    Had to calm her down 'cause she couldn't breathe
    Told her she could leave me now
    But she wouldn't leave

This what they mean when they say, "For better or for worse", huh?
    For every damn female that stuck with they dude
    Through the best times, through the worst times
    This for you
    The lyrics are raw, and a far far departure from Kanye's egotistical self that he frequently displays. The Trump meetings took a toil on him as he got caught in controversies after controversies, with TMZ baiting him to say certain statements knowing that he was suffering his bi-polar during the interviews. And it's so raw because if you are Kim, the wife, how would you react? Kanye saying Thank You to Kim for staying through all that shit is a touching ode to all women who stuck by their husbands who messed up big time. I dont know about you, but i can certainly relate.

The beats and production wise was amazingly crisp, a throwback to his smooth old school vibe without those ridiculous flourishes from his Pablo album. This track just speaks to me on many level. Love it. Just wanna say that Kanye got snubbed this Grammy. Ye is his best album since Fantasy.

Joyner Lucas - I'm Not Racist

Joyner Lucas was always underrated, and this is his viral hit that really shook me with the simple to your face lyrics and music video. We NEED this type of conversations. Sure, some are not happy with this song for simplifying the whole white racist/ black man dynamics, but in those short minutes Joyner managed to spit out both sides of the story in honest, angry, deliberately provoking words. The Trump supporter is obviously racist, the black man obviously have some issues as well as he self-admitted. The beat is simple but it's not the main star, it is the story told and the flow that stole the show. I can't praise this enough, for its message of unity.

Eminem- KILLSHOT

OMG. NOW THIS IS A DISS TRACK.

I was a big big fan of Eminem, when I was in high school I memorized 80 percent of The Marshall Mathers LP 2 and I can still remember "The Way I am" word for word. But truth be told his great day felt like it was over, the recent albums were a big fat joke to me, and ranking from boring to straight out terrible to cringy as hell. His rap against Trump was weak too, the flow and the jabs were cringy and stale.

Then he dropped this. Eminem has always been his best when he sounds angry, and this is just an absolute beating in the hands of one of the greatest rappers of all time. He proves he still got it, when he wants to.

Childish Gambino - This Is America

Unless you are living under a rock, you should already know this absolute masterpiece of commentary going pass all barriers of social fabric. From the music video to the various elements of gospel choir vocals, sirens, gunshots, trap rap fusing together like a organic living being, this song will prove to be the one of the most important songs of the decade. Even without the music video, based on its own musical merits, the infusion of musical elements such as sirens blazing through the mix, gospel singing flowing above trap beats, African drums moving along the sides, the various vocal inflections that Childish Gambino added to the performance ---- I don't know what else to say. it blew my mind when I first heard it, it blew my mind just moments ago. It is the best track of the year 2018, and no one can convince me otherwise.

That's all, I hope you all agree with me and thank you for moving with me on my musical journey of 2018.

---
    Last edited by JacobWrestledGod; 12-28-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks for the epic post. I wish I could reply back in kind but for now, I will just say that was excellent stuff.

OK so if I've read everything properly we do have a leader from all of the 'other' votes. Far from the most commercially successful song of the year and there's still several weeks to go but 'This is America' could end up winning the whole thing.

The Brain
    Loved the shoutout for "Rats", heard that on the radio and thought it was great. "This is America" was also very memorable for me, though it didn't fully click for me until I also saw the music video. Those are the only two I recognized but I'll have to try to check some of the others out!

I forgot about Janelle Monettes album. It is awesome, along with that single. I wouldn't be surprised to see it snag Album of the year at the Grammy's. She has somewhat quietly been great for years now.

And "This Is America" was over too many people's heads to win I think. It's sad, cause it is brilliant. Cattle don't like topics of herding though.

I'll have to check out the foreign to US stuff Mr. JW mentioned. I'm always down for music.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 01-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Fantastic year-end summary. Didn't know a lot of these. The rap choices were very interesting...nice to hear some meaningful content in those songs. Way better than the pop-rap crap that is so commonly played on pop radio.

I liked the chinese pop, "The Fish", too. Beauty.
    Check out all the Cool Points columns here.
    LOP's resident nXt guy
    CF since 2013

Alright so not entirely sure how all the 'others' voted but it looks to me like there was a tie between 'This is America' by Childish Gambino and 'Thank U, Next' by Ariana Grande. Thanks for joining in!