Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I mean, i'm alright with a vegan faction but it reminds me too much of the Wyatt family. Like there's so much talent to choose from and they go with Rowan and prob Harper cause its the safe, boring choice.

Funny how Bryan is a better leader than Bray tho.

Half the fun of the Rumbles are the surprise entrants, and the men's Rumble had Jarrett and Angle and then the fun surprise of Nia. My, and I stress MY problem with the Men's Rumble was two fold.

1. When Nia came in, the WWE screwed themselves again. During the Mixed match challenge and any mixed tag matches now, they stress that a Man must face a man and a woman must face a woman so that a man is not being perceived as beating a woman. I'm completely ok with that, as there aren't anymore Attitude Era spots with women getting the shit kicked out of them. BUT then when Nia came in, all the men were hesitant and I could honestly see in Orton's and Rey's eyes the "ummm, I know what I'm supposed to do, buuuut....I do not want to be called out for hitting Nia".

As I say with everything else, reverse the scenario. Imagine if Mustafa Ali or Rey Mysterio (I deliberately chose smaller men, instead of the largest, like Nia is) let alone Strowman, entered the Woman's Rumble and started beating up some of the Women, it would be perceived as terrible. So why is it ok for the reverse to happen? It is the "What would you do scenario" that posts all over the news, TV shows and youtube. If you see a couple fighting and the man hits the woman, everyone is in an uproar and they go into help, call the cops, etc, but if the woman hits the man, we all laugh or say "good for her, he probably deserves it." Double standard. terrible.

and

2. Where were the surprise entrants/returns? I know we got Jarrett and Angle, but Angle has returned a month ago, and Jarrett's was ok. Why did we have half the NXT roster? What is the point? In the women's Rumble I get it, b/c there aren't that many women on the Main Roster and there just aren't that many former talent that could return that were not there last year. But the men? You could have reached out to ton of people. Plus, NXT just had their own PPV the night before where they all had their chance to shine and get exposure AND they are being promoted for their half time show during the Superbowl all throughout the Rumble. Why are they taking up "fun" spots from the veterans? Again, in MY opinion, and I know I'm not alone, much of the fun of the Rumble is seeing the past superstars return for their entrance, and pop.

But we had a boring men's Rumble with wasted spots given to guy who already had their chance to shine. To further my point, why was Nakamura in the Rumble, but not Rusev, Balor, Styles, the Bar? Why did we need all the NXT guys? Where was Slater, Rhyno, the Revival, AOP, The Club, The Usos, and Roode, and Gable? Why didn't the main roster guys get a spot? The NXT guys now get 2 paychecks and double exposure, but main roster guys are sitting in the back picking their noses.

Also we have EC3 and Heavy Machinery being promoted for the main rosters, and they were also no shows? Why?

This was a terrible Rumble.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:49 AM.

I didn't get why the likes of EC3 and Heavy Machinery weren't in there, either. Would have made sense.

I said last year, but I think the women's Rumble suffers from stretching up to 30, in hindsight - and that feeds into my comments on the last page. At 20, that Rumble would have felt snappy and had a lot more concentrated star power. At 30 it all feels far too thin at times.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I mean, i'm alright with a vegan faction but it reminds me too much of the Wyatt family. Like there's so much talent to choose from and they go with Rowan and prob Harper cause its the safe, boring choice.

Funny how Bryan is a better leader than Bray tho.
    I'm really hoping for a vegan Straight Edge Society. Same thing where Punk helped Festus get off the drugs and he became Luke Gallows, but maybe Bryan got Rowan on a vegan diet and helped to change his lifestyle and he realized that he'd been into some really, really weird stuff for years.

Then after this has run his course move Rowan on to some other stable, and finally have an intervention where his friends notice that he just keep jumping from one mentor to the next, so they step in and convince him to join the military where he'll get the structure and the discipline he needs right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Half the fun of the Rumbles are the surprise entrants, and the men's Rumble had Jarrett and Angle and then the fun surprise of Nia. My, and I stress MY problem with the Men's Rumble was two fold.

1. When Nia came in, the WWE screwed themselves again. During the Mixed match challenge and any mixed tag matches now, they stress that a Man must face a man and a woman must face a woman so that a man is not being perceived as beating a woman. I'm completely ok with that, as there aren't anymore Attitude Era spots with women getting the shit kicked out of them. BUT then when Nia came in, all the men were hesitant and I could honestly see in Orton's and Rey's eyes the "ummm, I know what I'm supposed to do, buuuut....I do not want to be called out for hitting Nia".

As I say with everything else, reverse the scenario. Imagine if Mustafa Ali or Rey Mysterio (I deliberately chose smaller men, instead of the largest, like Nia is) let alone Strowman, entered the Woman's Rumble and started beating up some of the Women, it would be perceived as terrible. So why is it ok for the reverse to happen? It is the "What would you do scenario" that posts all over the news, TV shows and youtube. If you see a couple fighting and the man hits the woman, everyone is in an uproar and they go into help, call the cops, etc, but if the woman hits the man, we all laugh or say "good for her, he probably deserves it." Double standard. terrible.

and

2. Where were the surprise entrants/returns? I know we got Jarrett and Angle, but Angle has returned a month ago, and Jarrett's was ok. Why did we have half the NXT roster? What is the point? In the women's Rumble I get it, b/c there aren't that many women on the Main Roster and there just aren't that many former talent that could return that were not there last year. But the men? You could have reached out to ton of people. Plus, NXT just had their own PPV the night before where they all had their chance to shine and get exposure AND they are being promoted for their half time show during the Superbowl all throughout the Rumble. Why are they taking up "fun" spots from the veterans? Again, in MY opinion, and I know I'm not alone, much of the fun of the Rumble is seeing the past superstars return for their entrance, and pop.

But we had a boring men's Rumble with wasted spots given to guy who already had their chance to shine. To further my point, why was Nakamura in the Rumble, but not Rusev, Balor, Styles, the Bar? Why did we need all the NXT guys? Where was Slater, Rhyno, the Revival, AOP, The Club, The Usos, and Roode, and Gable? Why didn't the main roster guys get a spot? The NXT guys now get 2 paychecks and double exposure, but main roster guys are sitting in the back picking their noses.

Also we have EC3 and Heavy Machinery being promoted for the main rosters, and they were also no shows? Why?

This was a terrible Rumble.
    I won't touch on the Nia thing because I hated it. But WWE goes through periods where they don't bring in a bunch of legends for the Rumble because they feel they don't need them.

The NXT guys first. I believe that they're there because this the the new WWE. As much as NXT is developmental, they're still a brand, so I think we get used to seeing NXT and NXT UK guys in the Rumble to A) expose those guys to an audience that might not watch NXT in hopes of getting you interested and B) because NXT is a "brand" so their guys are just as valid as any others to enter the Rumble. They didn't treat the NXT guys coming in as odd or novel like they have in the past, just as another entrant. I think that's because it's just going to be the new normal that the Rumble features stars of Raw, Smackdown and NXT.

It's a good idea for exposing NXT to a wider audience -- I said last night that if they let Black hit one really clean Fade to Black in that match he'd be made for a main roster call up -- and for padding a slightly less deep Rumble. I'd rather seen Gargano, Black, Velveteen Dream, Ricochet, etc. get some exposure and feel like it's a "big deal" than having Heath Slater in there to be another body to do nothing and get tossed.

Secondly, on the legends front: who is there? I had this thought when Mean Gene passed, but there's literally only Hogan left from that WWF 80's Golden Era that's of any level of name recognition. Everyone else is gone. Then you look to the Attitude Era and who is there that would be of any consequence or worth it any more than having Heath Slater in there to look like a goof and get tossed? One of the Mean Street Posse? So many of the guys from that 90's timeframe are either dead, out of wrestling entirely or have abused their bodies so much that they can't do it. I don't think that Scott Hall or Mick could safely take a bump over the top, I don't think that Nash would be into that role, and RVD or DDP would just be retreads. Then we get into the 00's and they did such a horrible job creating big stars that aren't still under contract in 2019 that there's nobody that most people would recognize.

You could trot out Virgil I guess. But why bother when you can showcase your future stars?

We're going to see a lot less of the legends involved in this type of stuff, because ones that are physically capable, or just interested, are getting fewer and fewer.

So we’re getting Becky and Seth at ‘Mania, which is pretty much what most people wanted, right? Is there any worry that this will be a flop like last year when we had Nakamura and Asuka?

Not if they do it right by having both Becky and Seth win. Last year was such a flop b/c everyone that was "supposed to win" didn't.

Lesnar retained as well as Charlotte, and thus killed Asuka and Reigns in the process.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:22 PM.

Why did we have half the NXT roster? What is the point?
    Three NXT guys appeared. I wish there was more.

There were 24 main roster males in it. I don’t think that’s much different from past Rumbles, it’s just a very different looking roster this year.

One thing that I noticed last night and really loved were Drew's facial expressions. He has no time for bullshit, like when he came out and saw No way Jose (bonus: NWJ calming his conga line down, pulling the whole "I got this" sort of puffing up his chest to Drew) or when he tossed Kofi and Xavier. He is just so exasperated by all of the silliness. He sort of reminded me of Mean Gene in that way where he was a normal guy surrounded by all this insanity and crazy characters, the difference being that he can impose on them physically where Mean Gene just had to get sort of annoyed.

I loved his interaction with Dunne. Dunne did the finger spot and stomped the arm and the camera caught Drew's face perfectly. He sold the pain, and then he sat there and his facial expression changed from being hurt to being annoyed that this little Pete Dunne guy could have possibly put him in that position to begin with.

The guy's really great.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Three NXT guys appeared. I wish there was more.

There were 24 main roster males in it. I don’t think that’s much different from past Rumbles, it’s just a very different looking roster this year.
    Powder is looking for that Jim Duggan return lol and because he doesn't watch NXT, he sees no value in putting them in the Rumble when all the surprise returns mean jack shit besides a nostalgia pop.

Not saying I don't like the surprise returns but if you think about it, there's not much to pull from that wouldn't be a retread and would also be entertaining. Sometimes less is more.

They don't even call Carlito. its the same stable of old guys.
    Last edited by LK3185; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:07 PM.

Can I just say one thing that bugged me last night is the level of leniency given Rollins -- which I believe is because of who he is, where he comes from and a built in relationship with the loudest segment of fans from Tyler Black -- this isn't offered to others.

Rollins took that announce table powerbomb and stayed town for 10+ minutes. We didn't get "Seth is sleeping" chants like we got for Roman a few years ago, we didn't get people rolling their eyes, we just got people waiting patiently for Seth to reenter the match and hopefully win.

It's just a minor annoyance. It isn't the biggest thing in the world, but it goes to that same annoyance I get when I hear people I'm watching the show with (and it's often indy workers) say that Brock doesn't "deserve" the title because he's not going to be around defending the title all the time, or that Rousey doesn't "deserve" the title because she hasn't "earned" it. It's the same people, with roughly the same sentiment, and it's a little annoying to me.

I'll bet that if Braun had taken the table bomb, stayed down for 10 minutes only to reemerge at the end and win by tossing Rollins there would have been more than a smattering of boos and the internet world be full of people shitting on his mid-match break today.

Thing is, that's Seth - overpushed, but apparently we're all OK with it.

I'd be interested to know how many clean as a sheet losses he's taken one on one since breaking out from The Shield. I'd bet it's single figures.

You guys aren't looking hard enough on the internet then because I saw plenty of people complaining or joking about Seth going to sleep for however long it was. The dude definitely has his fans and he has more credibility than some but there's plenty of people who think he's overrated. The fact that he's never really moved the needle (for all the buzz The Shield gets, individually none of them really have) is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Powder is looking for that Jim Duggan return lol and because he doesn't watch NXT, he sees no value in putting them in the Rumble when all the surprise returns mean jack shit besides a nostalgia pop.

Not saying I don't like the surprise returns but if you think about it, there's not much to pull from that wouldn't be a retread and would also be entertaining. Sometimes less is more.

They don't even call Carlito. its the same stable of old guys.
    Not Jim Duggan per say, but where are any of the more well known ECW guys like Dreamer, Snow, Sandman? Albert is a trainer, so he could, Hurricane Helms would be a fun spot, Mizfan's favorite Tajiri, since HBK wrestled he could have made an appearance, Santino would be fun, Brodus Clay, even Evan Bourne for a spot.

I do not want any of those guys to come back permanently, but for a quick fun spot in the Rumble, then yes, it would be fun. Having Tajiri kick some people, or having Hurricane Helms face off against Braun would be fun.

However, I still feel that Bray Wyatt, the Revival, the Usos and The Club deserve better than not being on the card at all for guys who had their own PPV, or Curt Hawkins.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:47 PM.

Not Jim Duggan per say, but where are any of the more well known ECW guys like Dreamer, Snow, Sandman? Albert is a trainer, so he could, Hurricane Helms would be a fun spot, Mizfan's favorite Tajiri, since HBK wrestled he could have made an appearance, Santino would be fun, Brodus Clay, even Evan Bourne for a spot.

I do not want any of those guys to come back permanently, but for a quick fun spot in the Rumble, then yes, it would be fun. Having Tajiri kick some people, or having Hurricane Helms face off against Braun would be fun.

However, I still feel that Bray Wyatt, the Revival, the Usos and The Club deserve better than not being on the card at all for guys who had their own PPV, or Curt Hawkins.
    Just look at all the guys you're touting for a Rumble return. Washed up guys who either already had a Rumble surprise return or guys that again, would get a nice pop and nothing more. Albert? Come on. Evan Bourne is signed with Impact I believe

Bray Wyatt coming back for the Rumble with nothing to do after is a bad idea. The others are tag teams and not young and up and coming stars from NXT that get a little showcase on one of the biggest shows of the year.

I could see an NXT person winning the rumble one year, tbh. Seeds have been planted.

Last point on this cause I know we're not going to agree.. but WWE does in part to get more eyes on NXT and that talent. Its why they're doing halftime heat. If someone doesn't watch NXT and sees Alesteir Black throwing around spinning knee strikes... I bet they'd be pretty interested in seeing more.

There is no seeing more from the has beens. That's why its been scaled back.
    Last edited by LK3185; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM.