Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The 2019 Royal Rumble

Next supercard offering from the WWE main roster is the Royal Rumble, from Phoenix on the 27th of January.

Always a popular show in the WWE calendar and one that I'm sure plenty of people will have early opinions on.

Who wins the Rumble match? What do people make of the rest of the card? Will this go down better with no Roman this year? And what will it mean for Wrestlemania, and beyond?

Your Rumble thread starts.... now!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Interesting how WWE announced Becky vs Asuka and then quickly reneged on it. The McMahon clan almost shot themselves in the foot there after the whole "automatic rematch clauses are a thing of the past" spiel. With changes supposedly coming soon, is there a chance that both Lynch and Charlotte end up in the Women's Rumble while Asuka faces someone else? I dunno but clearly the lades are getting the job done because no one really seems to be talking about the Men's Royal Rumble. All the buzz right now revolves around which path Becky takes to challenge Rousey at WM35.

Meanwhile, my interest level for Braun/Brock III is extremely low. What's the point of going this route again when there appears to be no plans of putting the Universal Title on Strowman? I'm expecting a rehash of their match from Crown Jewel with shenanigans costing Braun the belt.

The Brain
    Definitely most interested in the women right now. Logic says 'Mania is some combo of Charlotte, Becky, Asuka, and Ronda, but how will it shake out? I'd be ok with Becky/Ronda and a Charlotte/Asuka rematch but I'd take pretty much any combo at this point, you literally can't lose.

For the men, I guess Seth is who people are excited about but I'm not really feeling it that much. Part of me says this could be the perfect time to make a new star out of left field (Big E comes to mind) but seems doubtful they'll have the guts or the inclination. Feeling much less enthused about the whole situation but I'm sure I'll still give it a watch, maybe get a nice surprise or at least enjoy the match like I did last year.

Mizzie, you know what is interesting about your SigGif? That the WWF/Vince back in the 80s allowed Greg Valentine to wear the yellow trunks with yellow boots and the blonde hair. He literally looks like a discount Hulk Hogan.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Skitz, can you not calm that bloody font down a little bit?!

I wonder whether them pulling the Becky/Asuka match is a sign Becky will win the Rumble. I'd quite like that actually, and it gives another of the SDL ladies a shot at the title. Perfect opening for Nikki Cross to debut hot, I guess! And doesn't she have a history with Asuka from NXT if I remember rightly? I saw rumblings that they'll go for Charlotte and Ronda at the Rumble, but I have no idea how they pull off the gymnastics to do that, other than flagrantly ignoring the brand split again - wouldn't be the first time.

Like mizzie pointed out, for my money Charlotte/Asuka II and Becky/Ronda is the way to go for 'Mania. Both matches write themselves conceptually and sometimes the obvious route is the best route to go.

That's why it would be absolutely ridiculous for anyone other than Seth to win the Rumble this year. He's the obvious choice for a reason and his time has finally come.

The Brain
    Valentine definitely looks like the missing link between Hogan and Kevin Sullivan.

Also heard it floated that they'll find a way to do Ronda/Becky/Charlotte at 'Mania, which could be quite interesting. Not sure it's better than Becky/Ronda 1 on 1 but I wouldn't cry about it if that's what we get.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I'm with you entirely on that point mizzie. Charlotte/Becky/Ronda would end up being awesome I'm sure - but as good as it would be, I fear it would always feel like a watered down take on what we could have had. Ironic considering it actually presents more people in one match than said alternative!

I don’t think I’d like to see a triple threat between them. At least, not at ‘Mania. Throwing multiple people into what should be the premier match for that division just doesn’t sit right. I can think of exactly one triple threat world title match that occurred at ‘Mania that didn’t feel... blah. That being HHH/HBK/Benoit from ‘Mania 20. (And that was just a great story in and of itself. Benoit fighting on SmackDown for the title starting back at the Rumble from ‘03. Getting screwed by Heyman when Brock was champ and Heyman declaring Benoit would never get another shot at the title, so Benoit goes the distance in ‘04 and pops up on Raw the night after challenging HHH. And then you had the two year feud between HHH and HBK that Benoit was inserted to, and yeah... just phenomenal story telling that took a long time to accomplish. You don’t have that kind of time to make Rousey/Becky/Charlotte that compelling.) Get Becky to Raw somehow and let her go one on one with Ronda. Do Asuka/Charlotte 2 with the roles reversed. Save the triple threat for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Valentine definitely looks like the missing link between Hogan and Kevin Sullivan.
    All of the look, none of the charisma

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

As I have said in a few threads, It really should be Becky vs Rousey 1 on 1 at Mania. Becky has earned and deserves that match. When she got hurt by Nia and the doctors took her out of the Survivor Series match, the WWE needed to fill the spot and rightfully so they put Charlotte in the match. BUT that match should have played where Charlotte gives Rousey a great match but ends up losing cleanly 1-2-3 just like Styles and Bryan did against Lesnar. Then they use what ever means necessary to force the match with Becky at Mania. Use any and all sports entertainment/professional wrestling nonsense to make the match happen, but just do it.

But no, the WWE pushes Becky aside b/c of an INJURY, and elevates Charlotte to beat Rousey down and to force Charlotte into the mix. I completely hate the idea of Charlotte being involved in this feud. The WWE should be having Charlotte focus all of her attention on winning the Rumble and facing Asuka for the Title at Mania. And the WWE should be putting all their efforts into having Becky face Rousey 1 on 1 at Mania. But no, the WWE has to push their own agenda once again. Charlotte to me, has become the female version of Roman Reigns, where all we get is everyone else is sacrificed just to keep her push alive regardless of what the audience wants. Every veteran of the business keep praising Becky and saying that she can truly become another SCSA, from Eric Bishoff to Bubba Ray.

Becky has done everything, from changing up character, to connecting to the audience, giving herself an awesome nickname, to cutting emotional and powerful promos, and the WWE still just allows Charlotte to go out and cut everyone else down and call herself the Queen where she comes off not as an entitled character, but as an entitle millennial where she is just continually be pushed b/c of her lineage.

This is my scenario for the Smackdown women's road to Wrestlemania, and I hope that it goes down something like this.

At the Rumble, do not have the Women's Rumble open the show, have it close the show.

Have the opening match, or match 2 (if the Men's Rumble opens the show) a triple threat for the Women's title between, Becky, Charlotte and Asuka, where Asuka retains where Charlotte gets pinned, but Becky looks strong.

Then later, Becky and Charlotte enter the Rumble and they are the final 2 and Becky eliminates Charlotte for the win.

Then we get Jojo in the ring in an interview with the Man, and Becky says that she does not even need to wait, she is officially challenging Ronda Rousey for her RAW Woman's championship at Mania and points at the WM sign.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-23-2018 at 06:55 PM.

The Brain
    I think both of them taking part in the title match and being in the Rumble is a bit much, but I'd be ok with something to that general effect that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    All of the look, none of the charisma
    That better not be a shot at my boy the Hammer!

Becky competes in the title match loses and steals someone's number after beating them up backstage.

That's been done before, but it also makes Becky a heel, AND there are not enough women on the roster to leaver her out anyway.

WWE does have a tendency to recycle things.

Asuka vs Charlotte and Becky vs Rousey seems to make the most sense, though something doesnt sit right with seeing Asuka as a babyface. She worked so well as a heel in NXT, and id like to see that side of her extracting revenge for last year.

Really sad to see Braun Strowman as a place holder in the main event once again. Brock Lesnar has done more harm than good as champion and its really hurting the rest of the roster when you solidify his mania spot so far in advance. That being said, Seth seems to be the only one that makes sense to win the rumble.

Also I was thinking about this. Wouldnt it be somewhat intriguing to see a face Miz vs a heel Bryan for the title? Face Miz is something im kind of ready for amd thatd be a decent story in reverse now. Just a thought

I think we are going to see Musafa Ali vs DB for the title at the rumble, or maybe a triple threat match with AJ Styles involved.

R Truth should win the men’s and squash Lesnar at Mania. Sad thing is he’d be a better, more popular champ. Alternatively throw it completely random and give it Wyatt who can feud with Strowman will Lesnar shows up.i genuinely would enjoy Wyatt winning it.

I could see WWE panicking and giving the men’s to Cena. Although I’d love Cena vs an Evil Bryan.

Feels like a long card this year. Two Rumble matches and six titles on the line.....

No doubt 2 or 3 of the matches will be moved to the pre-show.

So like, I know I've said this a lot before but - we're definitely heading towards Horsewomen vs Horsewomen at Mania now, right? Sasha flashing the horsemen sign at Ronda on Monday, Ronda developing an issue with a third NXT horsewoman, Shayna teaming up with Duke and Shafir in NXT...it all seems to be coming together, and I sense that the Rumble will be the time it all coalesces.

Question is, does Ronda hold that title into Mania, or does she drop it to someone outside of that group of four and they run three women's matches at Mania this year - two titles and the eight woman tag?

I always get excited for the Rumble. Normally it ends up being a false dawn, but this years looks interesting from top to bottom - Rumble matches have an inherent fun to them, the two women's title matches look good, The New Daniel Bryan is a character I'm loving - the only thing I don't really hold an interest in is Brock vs Finn, and that's largely because I have seen nothing in the latter to suggest he's going to be engaging as either champion or challenger.

Until people realise they only stopped Lesnar/Strowman at the Rumble so Lesnar could fight Strowman at Mania instead of Reigns.

To be honest nony, I'd be down with that if it means we get Strowman mowing his way through 29 other men in the Rumble and eliminating at least half of them.

I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than have Strowman win the Rumble.

Harsh but fair.

The men's field doesn't look that strong at the moment, if I'm being honest. Other than Drew and Rollins, it's quite uninspiring. I'll always want a Big E win, but can't see that happening, so those two would be my only contenders at the moment - Cena seems hugely unlikely, I can't see them going with Dean, and Samoa Joe is pretty much dead in water right now. Otherwise it's all just deadwood.

The women's one looks a lot stronger on paper, but then again that's because basically the whole roster is going in there regardless.

It actually seems like a good year, all things considered, for you to go with a real out of leftfield winner. Obviously you'd need to handle the subsequent booking well to pull it off but doing that could liven up future rumbles by giving out the impression that anyone can win it, for real... or at least making people second guess themselves, which draws in more interest.

In the absence of a clear favourite that people are rallying behind, feels like a decent year to try something like that - provided they've got enough confidence in themselves to book the subsequent matches/the rest of the 'Mania card, that is.

I am really hoping that during the Balor/Lesnar match, we get the Demon Balor. Have him come out all painted up to a surprise, and have Heyman and Lesnar sell it with a little hesitation/fear. It could only help the match.

Think Balor has already said somewhere he won't be Demon Balor this weekend, or at least suggested as much.

This is from an interview with ESPN:

“I feel like maybe I leaned on the demon too much there in the past as a crutch, and I can assure you that the man who faces Brock Lesnar at the Royal Rumble will be Finn Balor, the man … I think a lot of people were surprised when I came out at WrestleMania not in demon paint but I feel like I had a bigger message to spread that day — one of equality and acceptance.

“Honestly, this match just kind of came about so fast that I haven’t had much time to think about it. I don’t have any new gear, I don’t have any new looks, I don’t have any new ideas right now, but you know, we’re still six days away, so I’m sure I’ll come up with something.”

That sucks. Balor is at his best when he is the Demon character.

There’s no sense in bringing out the demon for a one off match, though.

As i said, it could, kayfably speaking, make Lesnar have soemwhere between 1-10% fear. he will overcome, but Lesnar and Heyman can sell with facial expressions, so it would be great to see both of them get taken aback by the Demon showing up, when they were expecting Balor.

Possibly but Balor doesn't really do anything different as the demon. Sure he wins but its not like he's more aggresive or a distinct different character.

it would be up to Brock and heyman to sell that which of course they could
    Last edited by LK3185; 01-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Kacy Catanzaro is going to be a star. Great showing for Rhea Ripley so far.

I don't understand why the crowd is dead for AJ vs Bryan.

Also Rowan put on weight and not in a good way.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-27-2019 at 11:18 PM.

I hope we see the Dream tonight. This PPV is way too long but they will wake up for Brock and the Rumble.

Definitely wasn’t expecting Double J.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-27-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Damn Network is gliching and freezing.

Sorry for the double post, but that was one of the worst Rumble (as a Royal Rumble match, not PPV) I have ever seen.

BUT, the Women's Rumble was really good.

wow thought the men's rumble was awesome

And the women's rumble was trash

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Kacy Catanzaro is going to be a star.
    I think someone made this point somewhere before, but it's worth reinforcing it - she's got everything going for her. I'm surprised she's not yet a main player in the NXT women's division.

What's more depressing - Cesaro losing to a child at WrestleMania, or Cesaro losing to Shane McMahon's baby punches at the Royal Rumble?

On the women's Rumble front - I'm with LK here, that stank to high heaven until you got to the final five. It was massively rear loaded as a Rumble, and aside from Charlotte didn't really have anybody of note stick around in the first 15-20 people. I'd hazard a guess, as well, that over two thirds of the eliminations were either by Charlotte or someone in the final ten entrants - which just makes it all feel very non-dynamic as a match. They needed to switch it up a bit, I think, and it'll probably rank as a very poor Rumble match overall. Plus - it might have been the longest Rumble match in history, other than the 40 man and Saudi ones?

I didn't think the men's was much to right home about - where the women's was sloppy but fun, the men's was just...there. Nothing bad, nothing particularly good.

What I'm struggling to work out is why AJ vs Bryan was so mediocre.

EDIT: I just looked it up and that women's match was LONGER than the 40-man one from 2011. Ridiculous. So I think only the Saudi one, a 50-man event, has been longer than the women's Rumble last night. I bet there aren't many, if any, where three people have had over 50 minutes of ring time - Charlotte clocked 50:01, and otherwise Ember and Natalya both went over 50 minutes too.
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-28-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I
    What I'm struggling to work out is why AJ vs Bryan was so mediocre.
    I didn't think it was terrible or anything but the crowd was not into it, they did some spot variations, and worked hard but dead crowd.. prob the wrong match to do at that time, plus the Rowan beat down dropped it a little for me.

I'm really not sure what to make of the Rowan beatdown right now. It seems obvious based on the ending that he's aligned with Bryan in some way, but I'm not sure I'm that into it.

Plus, why does any AJ PPV match always have a shitty ending?