Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Damn I'm old. I can't say that I particularly loved that song but I remember hearing it and it doesn't feel like THAT long ago.

Changing the tone up a little, here is an Aussie song that is a few years old (yeah we have rap too) by a local fella called Urthboy. This is a live version and the song starts at about 1:30 but the first bit is worth listening to as he explains the very cool story behind the song.

Went on a bit of a nostalgia kick today while writing my main page column and ended up listening to The Marshall Mathers LP.

It is weird listening to it now as an adult, as a young teenager I loved the swear words but didn't quite get the full breadth of it.

Listening to it now I have to say it is simultaneously one of the most impressive but unsettling works of art I've listened to. There is a lot of garbage but songs like Stan, The Way I Am, Marshall Mathers and particularly Kim are incredible portraits of a man really on the edge mentally but creatively exploding with ideas. They feel like exposed nerves of raw emotion.
    Last edited by SirSam; 04-19-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Kanye West - Jesus is King album. Want to devour it all tonight, but I'm doing reactions to each song the first time I listen. So far, listened to two songs, including "Everything We Need" and "Selah."

Everyone knows I'm not exactly Johnny Hip-Hop, but there's some bits and pieces that I like. This is the kind of sound I can get behind. Recommendations for things that might be in the kind of vein I like are always appreciated, even if they are, like this, decades old now.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

You wont find a lot like this nowadays. This is very Bay Area 90s. Id recommend other work by Del. You can also check out Hieroglyphics, which Del was a part of. Also from the Bay Area - Digital Underground. The frontman Shock G (whose alter ego Humpty is probably better known to most) referred to the sound Digital Underground was striving for was to be the Parliament Funkadelic of Hip Hop. From the East Coast providing a super jazzy side to what they did you could consider Digable Planets and any combination of members of the Native Tongues collective. East Coast stuff is almost always going to have a more profound side to it but they all did some light spirited stuff too. FINALLY if you want one hip hop group that uniquely harmonized check out Jurassic 5 - four MCs and two DJs. Either of their first two albums can be listened to end to end.
    Last edited by BK-097; 1 Week Ago at 06:26 PM.

Damn haven’t heard the name Jurassic Five in a long time. They put out some good shit. Met Chali 2na at Warped Tour ‘98 with his other group Ozomatli.

Love me some Chali 2na. I met the whole of J5 my junior year of college. They played my campus and my buddy was in charge of talent relations.

Cut Chemist released an album in 2018 called Die Cut. The whole thing is tremendous, but for this old J5 fan, can't beat the Chali 2na track:

Quote Originally Posted by BK-097 View Post
    You won’t find a lot like this nowadays. This is very Bay Area 90s. I’d recommend other work by Del. You can also check out Hieroglyphics, which Del was a part of. Also from the Bay Area - Digital Underground. The frontman Shock G (whose alter ego Humpty is probably better known to most) referred to the sound Digital Underground was striving for was to be the Parliament Funkadelic of Hip Hop. From the East Coast providing a super jazzy side to what they did you could consider Digable Planets and any combination of members of the Native Tongues collective. East Coast stuff is almost always going to have a more profound side to it but they all did some light spirited stuff too. FINALLY if you want one hip hop group that uniquely harmonized check out Jurassic 5 - four MCs and two DJs. Either of their first two albums can be listened to end to end.
    Thanks for the recommendations! I haven't had a chance to have a good listen yet but I've had a preliminary look and what I've heard so far does sound as if it will be up my street.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."