Thread: Black Mirror

Black Mirror

I think this had a thread before the reset. Since it's not had new material since I guess no one recreated it.

Anyway, TOMORROW the very first Black Mirror event is released on Netflix. It's a "Choose Your Own Adventure" movie called Bandersnatch. Apparently over 5 hours of footage were shot for the film, which depending on your choices clocks in around 90 minutes, but there are multiple options available to choose from. Sounds cool.

Season 5 hits early 2019 and apparently has an episode featuring Miley Cyrus of all people.

I've heard a lot of people make a fuss about this episode, so I might have to check it out. Great reviews so far.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I played the whole thing. It's amazing, if you choose the more interesting choices.

The Brain
    I was a little disappointed by it. It's a very innovative idea and the execution is solid, but I did feel a bit frustrated as some of the endings were essentially non-endings, and I didn't think any of the endings were especially satisfying, though a couple were very interesting at least. They kept hinting something would happen if you found all the endings, but nothing really did, so it felt a bit incomplete. Even the choose-your-own books I read as a kid usually had at least 1 "good" ending. Still, I did like it, was glad I went through it and I'd recommend others to try it out for themselves.

I feel like there is a "good" ending, one in which SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER the game gets released to 5 stars and then revisited in the future. It's all very meta though.

I mean it's a Choose Your Own Adventure movie about a guy making a Choose Your Own Adventure game based on a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Plus the very "in" way it portrays itself as the viewer being very much part of the story. Plus there are also SEVERAL Black Mirror Easter eggs which were fun to find.

The Brain
    Haha, that was one of the better endings, though I don't know if you could call it "good". It was probably my favorite and the one that felt the most climactic though.

The best ending that really touched my heart was the SPOILER Mum ending.

The Brain
    That was definitely a top ending. I wondered if there would be a way to prevent it but didn't seem like it. Very poignant the way it went down.

Just started Black Mirror for the first time, raced through the first two episodes but had to stop there. It's fantastic, but psychologically very hard. I may have finally found a series I can't binge watch.

I appreciate these are episodes that are 6/7 years old, but in Fifteen Million Credits, what take did people have on the ending? That forest was fake right? And did anyone else think that Bing hadn't actually sold out and become just another Hot Shot winner, but instead needed to do that in order to save Abi? I.e destroy from within?

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

The Brain
    That's actually my favorite episode, though consensus doesn't seem to be that high on it. Definitely feeling that the forest is fake. But destroy from within... I dunno man, when you become just another shouting voice in the crowd, part of the system and separated from the actual struggle of hardship, I think even if you think you're still destroying from within, you're just another TM Brand.

It was just the little statue of the penguin on his table and how he broke character after he finished his stream and looked more serious. I dunno, made me think, which I guess is what Charlie Brooker wants us to do

Finally finished the whole series. Wow, what a show! I thought I'd share my thoughts on some of the episodes.

San Junipero - By far my favourite, can see myself watching that back once or twice a year. Favourite bit of tech that was invented for the show as a whole. Really want that to be developed.

Shut Up and Dance - Probably the most disturbing for me, did not see that twist at the end. Although I feel I should of seen something as he went through quite a lot for what appeared to be just a video of him masturbating. It didn't dawn on me until the last scene what he was watching at the time...

Nosedive, Man Against Fire - Personally, I didn't find these two that good, just something of a disconnect for me. Nosedive is very well acted, but fairly predictable and I just straight up didn't particularly like Man Against Fire.

The Entire History of You - Really liked this and a good representation of what tech could do if treated wrongly. Can't deny it would be useful to see all your memories back frame by frame though!

Metalhead - Maybe the only episode I felt didn't fit in, potentially as it feels disconnected time-wise with almost every other episode.

Hang the DJ, Hated in the Nation and USS Callister were all really good too. Can't wait for season 5 to drop!