December 2018 Columnist of the Month

Happy New Year! Pleasure to be posting this to you all in 2019. But before we crack on with the new year, there are a few bits of business from 2018 t complete and one of those is the last columnist of the month contest, recognising the work that was done in December. It was a fairly busy month in the first few weeks before, perhaps inevitably, getting a bit quieter around the week of Christmas. Still, hardly a surprise, and I think we've built back up well in the last couple of months to head into the increased interest that usually comes between the Rumble and Wrestlemania.

So with all that said there's a good few names and a difficult decision ahead of you for this month's award. But before we get to the list, here is a reminder of the rules.

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.

a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.

b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well.
    Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Here's the list of columnists and their eligible work - apologies if I've missed anything off.

Burn1nMyLight
    Burn1nMyLight Presents - RAW Review 12/10/2018
    Burn1nMyLight Presents - RAW Review 12/17/2018

Don Franc
    The New Event #10 - Random Rumblings

DynamiteBillington
    Bulldogs Bottom Line: The Truth about the Women's Rumble
    A Bit of Light Entertainment: Me and My Mates....without the Mates
    Before the Bulldog: My first ever column
    The Bulldog's 2019 Predictions

KingZak

Kingzak Presents King of the RNG 8
    Kingzak presents: TLC 2018 Predictions
    Kingzak Presents: Takeover-star Part 1
    Kingzak Presents: Takeover-star Part 2

Prime Time
    Prime Time Profiles: Paul Heyman
    Prime Time Warp - November 9th, 2007
    Prime Time on Wrestling XX - Wrestling and Postmodernism
    Castaway - with Mizfan (2/2) (W/ Mizfan)
    Take Up Thy Wrestling Boots and Walk - "Sports Entertainment"

R-Prof
    The Categorical Imperative of Dean Ambrose
    A Character Template for Bray Wyatt’s Return

Skitz
    Me, Myself & SkitZ SnapChat (About Stuff)
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Heaven Owens, Hammy Zayn and Gorilla Yawnsoon
    Taste My Rainbow ~ Like Bother, Like Son
    Taste My Rainbow ~ SkitZ & Co. Abuse Another Christmas (w/ Friends)
    Taste Our Rainbow ~ SkitZ & Spin Rage Against Authority (Ranking the GMs) (W/ Spinmaster)
    Taste My Rainbow ~ If I Were a Wrestler...

Skulduggery
    Half Luck, Half Skul: January Madness - The Greatest Royal Rumble Match (R1) (W/ Friends)
    Half Luck, Half Skul: January Madness - The Greatest Royal Rumble Match (R2) (W/ Friends)

Spinmaster
    Mizzie & The Spin's Total Non-Stop Wrestling Project #9- The Return (W/ Mizfan)

Voting ends on Monday, January 7th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

And with that, voting is now open!

(PS also go and vote for the Yearly Awards, the thread for which is stuck to the top of the forum)

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Column = Random Rumblings

Columnist = RProf.
    If he keeps that sort of quality going, I can see him getting a few of these and hitting the main page pretty quickly

FACT or FICTION: Ladies and Gentlemen, Elias.
    PM me to get involved.

The Brain
    For column, I'll go with Taste My Rainbow ~ If I Were a Wrestler.... Poignant, personal piece performed perfectly, per PSkitz (so close).

For columnist I'm also inclined to go with R-Prof based on the way he burst on the scene with two truly excellent columns. Much love to Pete and Skitz as well, and Skul for putting together the wonderful Madness columns!

For me one more column from R-Proof would have pushed him over the edge also shout outs to Brun for his excellent Raw reviews and Dyno and Zak for their output too.

Ultimately though it comes down to Skitz and Prime Time. Skitz blew back onto the scene with typically awesome style. When he is on he is one of my favorite writers around however no one goes deep and nerdy like Prime Time who gets my vote for his thought provoking stuff.

Column goes to Taste My Rainbow ~ SkitZ & Co. Abuse Another Christmas (w/ Friends) because just about all of us contributed to it and it was basically a celebration of everything awesome about the CF which feels kind of an awesome way to end the year.

December was a difficult month to choose the columnist of the month but ultimately I have to go with Skitz. Huge shout out to Prime Time though.

For column I have to go with Bulldogs Bottom Line: The Truth About The Women's Royal Rumble. That piece generated a healthy debate. Even though I disagreed it was still engaging.

Columnist: R-Prof
    Column: A Character Template for Bray Wyatt’s Return by R-Prof

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I'm torn between Dynamite, Prime Time and Skitz. In the end, I am gonna say Skitz, he managed a good blend of his usual fun and light hearted stuff and the more serious subject matter.

For column, gonna go with Dynamite's Truth about the Womens Rumble.

I pretty much feel the same as Sam in regards to R-Prof. The dude killed it with the two columns he wrote in December but a little more consistency throughout the month would've sealed the deal for me. Dynamite also had a strong showing and I fully expect to see him snag a COTM here soon. My vote for Columnist goes to Prime Time who's not only carried this place lately but still finds the time to post top quality stuff on the regular. Hats off to him.

As for Column, it's gotta be R-Prof's Character Template for Bray Wyatt’s Return. Honorable mention to Dyno for his Truth About the Women's Rumble piece.

Columnist- SkitZ
    Column- If I Were A Wrestler..

R-Prof, I think, with his Wyatt effort for individual column.

HM's to Billington who had one of his strongest months and for Skitz, who was the boss in the last third of the month and could easily win it without complaint.

Columnist- Skitz
    Column- Pete's Paul Heyman column.

Columnist = Prime Time
    Column = Skitz "Like Bother, Like Son"

We're in a three day run-off between Skitz and R-Prof. Vote will end on Thursday at three days after the initial deadline. So please vote for either of those two, at this stage.

In the meantime please join me in congratulating R-Prof for winning the individual column award for his piece on Bray Wyatt, which narrowly edged a couple of pieces that had two votes.

Good spread this month!

I'll stick with my original comments and go with Skitz for this.

R-Proof put together two bloody good columns but to win Columnist of the Month I feel like at least 3-4 are needed to truly show your wares. Amazing start to see him already in talk for COTM and if you read this man I hope you only use it as motivation to keep writing, it is not meant as an insult or slight at all.

EDIT: Just made the name of my vote bold to help the counter.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-08-2019 at 08:29 AM.

OK, I guess someone has to switch sides if we're to have a winner, so I'll change my vote to SkitZ.

Apologies to R-Prof, hopefully winning the individual column of the month is good enough compensation

Also, now I'm out of the running I just want to say a quick thanks to those who gave me an honourable mention in their vote, and especially so to those who actually voted for the Women's Rumble column. Considering nobody actually accepted the truth, I'm glad it got people talking and must have settled into people's memory.

Got to admit, I was hoping to put myself in the running for last month. When I found the old unfinished columns and got the inspiration for the Women's Rumble column, I deliberately knocked them all out within a month (in addition to a few ForF topics) with the hope that it might get me up there, but obviously you never know what's going to come from elsewhere. SkitZ had a hell of a month though and I don't think anyone saw R-Prof coming from out of nowhere. Don't know when I'll next have the inspiration for that many columns all at once, me doing that much in a month usually happens on a par with Lesnar wrestling on Raw!!!

PM me to get involved.

You had a rock solid month, Dyno. I honestly expected you to receive some votes for December COTM and if the CF were more active, that would've likely been the case. You're close to breaking through so don't get discouraged. Keep plugging away dammit! I won my first one of these early on and then didn't win another for 6-7 years. It doesn't always come down to who posted the most columns in a given month either. Consistency is key sure but so is content that resonates with readers (such as your Women's Rumble column for example).

R-Prof

The Brain
    Sticking with the Prof, but you really can't go wrong here. Both have been awesome recently!

Quote Originally Posted by SkitZ View Post
    You had a rock solid month, Dyno. I honestly expected you to receive some votes for December COTM and if the CF were more active, that would've likely been the case. You're close to breaking through so don't get discouraged. Keep plugging away dammit! I won my first one of these early on and then didn't win another for 6-7 years. It doesn't always come down to who posted the most columns in a given month either. Consistency is key sure but so is content that resonates with readers (such as your Women's Rumble column for example).
    Breaking through? Nah....I'm already as broken through as I'm going to be. Everyone here knows me, and everyone knows I'm the guy to go to for a unique opinion. I'm cool with being a solid forum guy, I don't have any ambition or intention to become a regular main page writer. Like I said in my predictions column - the odd cameo on the main page is cool, but that would be my limit.

PM me to get involved.

SkitZ

Skitz also. Meant to vote but forgot to actually do it, so this tie is Imp's fault! (And also R-Prof, for having such an ass kicking debut)
    Last edited by TheImplications; 01-08-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    Breaking through? Nah....I'm already as broken through as I'm going to be. Everyone here knows me, and everyone knows I'm the guy to go to for a unique opinion.

I meant breaking through strictly in terms of winning a COTM. Your writing style doesn't need any tweaking.

I know the feeling Dyno. I've been there way too many times as D.O.N but I tried my best to not let it discourage me. It's shame D.O.N never won column of the month though, he came up short twice but I felt he should have won it. Oh well. At least I got one under my belt now as Don Franc and so all's well That ends well. And that one win could be my final one as well.

Nevertheless, Skitz retains my vote.

Sorry again Dony I think that may have been me that beat you out a couple of times towards the end of last year.

If it makes you feel any better, that feeling doesn't really go away. If I'd won every time I thought I should I'd probably be pushing 20 by this point. At those times I just try and remind myself that we're not always the best judge of how our work stacks up against others and that you've got to accept the judgement of your peers. That doesn't always salve my ego, but it does most of the time.

Right, that's another one in the books. It was a grand effort by the new R-Prof and he takes plenty of plaudits with the individual column award, but the award for columnist of the month for December 2018 goes to Skitz. With that, he moves to joint second in the all-time list, tied with Steve on 7 wins - a remarkable achievement. He also gets in at the last minute to mean his streak of winning at least one award in each of the last three years continues.

So please, join me in congratulating both Skitz and R-Prof.

I'm thinking of amending the rules so that votes in a run-off for the first two candidates still count - essentially, saving people from needing to vote twice. It'll basically assume you're voting for your original choice unless you say otherwise.

Right, that's most of our business for 2018 concluded. Just the end of year awards now - but best wishes and good luck for 2019!

I join in congratulating SkitZ on his great work! Also, cheers to Prime Time, Dynamite, and the others who put out such fascinating pieces in December.

I was floored just to be included in this conversation after my first month of writing columns, and I'm very grateful to come away with a Column of the Month award for "A Character Template for Bray Wyatt's Return." It's so rewarding just to get all the feedback and participate in the discussions on the forum, so thanks to everyone who gave my pieces a read. I'm having a bit of a busy month at the day job but I have some plans for a little column series to put out soon, hopefully by February. I'll look forward to reading all the great work on the CF until then!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Brain
    Congrats Skitzoid, that's a hell of a comeback! Your specialty, after all. Congrats to Prof as well, what a welcome addition to the CF!

Congrats Skitz! Much deserved homie. Looks like you coming for Mizzie now lol.

Congrats to R-Prof as well. What a debut month!

Here's hoping Steve returns to try and one up me lol. Seriously though, to be that high up on the COTM list is crazy. When my first Main Page stint ended in 2011, I remember returning to the CF and quickly realizing how hard it was to win one of these damn things. It's always a possibility when your writing is consistent and well received but it's also impossible to know how the voting will play out. I love the suspense element and thought R-Prof was gonna run away with this given how things started (the three-day tiebreaker format is way more fun than the co-winner route). Major props to him for coming in strong and making an immediate impact. If he can find the time to keep posting columns, that dude's going to win a couple of these.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and Prime for keeping this tradition alive.