Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy Metal Thread

I have no idea whats going on in the world of metal these days.

It's all that Djent crap that I hope goes away like most fads. What is the point of 8/9 string guitars if you only use the lowest strings?? I'd much rather listen to Dimebag shredding it up.

Anyway, here's a thread to talk about Metal.

The Brain
    Metallica is king for me, the only true heavy metal band I listen to on a regular basis. I used to listen to more but they're the only ones in my current rotation. Should probably a few others back in there.

Well to be honest, nobody/no band is quite like Metallica. EVERYONE has heard of Metallica, which can't be said for some obscure deathcore band.

There's other good metal out there, but Metallica are probably the best.

I've actually bought Master of Puppets about four times because I keep wearing the CD out.

The Brain
    That is a fucking amazing story. I wasn't much of a big music listener until recently so I don't think I ever wore out any CDs.

I'd say my favorite Metallica album is the Black Album, which might be cliche (or not?) but there it is. Ride the Lightning is definitely the runner up.

I'd say I prefer Ride, I like the Black album but Enter Sandman I'm not too fond of just because it's so overplayed.

It's also annoying when it's the only song anyone knows by Metallica. They've done loads of great song but it seems Sandman is the only one most people know.

Other than that, it's a great album though.

The Brain
    I still love Sandman but I totally get the critique. I'm a big fan of Blink 182 and it bothers the shit out me because "All The Small Things" is, like, their worst song.

Sorry, that wasn't very metal. Off the top of my head, I think "Through the Never" is my favorite Black Album song, though there are lots of good contenders.

Don't worry about it, I like Blink 182 quite a lot.

I think my favorite Metallica song is Fade to Black. The outro is amazing, and Kirk Hammet goes hard with a really really cool guitar solo.

The Brain
    You know, for whatever reason I haven't listen to Fade to Black lately. I'll have to give it another listen.

Wearing out a CD must take quite some listening, unless you just take really bad care of your CDs.

I think a problem I have with metal is beyond Metallica I just don't really know where to start to discover new music, I've kind of stumbled upon Bring Me The Horizon and Ammity Affliction but there is such a dizzying array of bands and styles out there that I honestly just don't know where to start.

The Brain
    Do the Pretty Reckless count as heavy metal? I feel like some of their stuff might, and I really enjoy them.

I am bad at knowing which kinds of rock are what.

INteresting Fact about the Pretty Reckless. The lead singer was Cindy Lou Who in How The Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carrey

The Brain
    Haha, what the shit?!? That's an amazing fact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I have no idea whats going on in the world of metal these days.
    The last issue of Metal Hammer I saw had no one on the cover except people, and names of people, that I was listening to 15+ years ago. So I guess nothing is going on unless the cool kids of the day don't have anything to do with music magazines anymore....

Also glanced at Kerrang, and the first metal band I see? Slayer.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think you're partially right, they don't. It's all on youtube now days. That's where I keep hearing about Djent, the current trend.

Don't get me wrong, I love Metal Hammer, but they tend to focus on older bands/trends. Which to be honest is a good thing.

I don't bother with Kerrang anymore, I'm not sure if they've switched it up again, but the last couple of times I bought it was all trendy emo crap that they were talking about.

Eh, Kerrang was always a mix but with a big lead of whatever was fashionable. You only notice that when you don't like the trends, so it became apparent to me with Emo too. But I recall that when it was full of Nu-Metal plenty of older guys were slamming it then.

I haven't bought a music magazine in years to be honest. I used to buy more guitar magazines. The main reason for buying Kerrang is some of the CDs you used to get with it were pretty decent.

Anyway, I've already managed to steer this off the subject of metal. As you were!

What are the modern metal trends? I can imagine there would be some dubstep/metal crossover, it is kind of the metal equivalent for EDM. Of course there is probably still a battle in Norway as to who is the heaviest and most evil band.

I once read about a genre called Viking metal which if nothing else has an awesome name.

If you can get Sirius radio listen to Octane. That station really kicks ass, for newer hard rock/metal music.

Liquid Metal is more of the Death Metal with the occasional Metallica song.

But no real trends. There has been some really good new music, but some real shit.

What are the modern metal trends?
    As far as I can tell, Djent, Black Metal and Melodic Metal... I'm not incredibly fond of any. I wish Dime would come back from the dead and kick their asses at guitar but obviously it's not happening.

Jared Dines and Steve Terreberry are the main youtube guys for all the latest metal guitar stuff. They do a lot of very bad jokes as well, some are funny... Others just plain suck. Worth watching if you're into Rock/metal/guitars/comedy

Wearing out a CD must take quite some listening, unless you just take really bad care of your CDs.
    A bit of both. I used to not take very good care of them, but after buying MOP for the millionth time I learned my lesson. I know a lot of people don't like CDs these days but I do because I'm weird. I would love to get into Vinyl but don't have anything to play them on or know anything about vinyl players.
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.

These are the bands that I listen to on a very regular basis. They may not exactly be "heavy" metal, but they're still axe shredders, and I don't want to inundate this forum with threads for every genre, so...

Baroness (my absolute favourite band - have been for years now)
    Mutoid Man
    Atragon
    High on Fire
    Nightwish
    Rhapsody
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

High on Fire, man I dig them. Not heard much from the rest except Baroness (at least I think so, I drink so much alcohol my brain is melting).

Matt Pike is the guitarist for High on Fire and also played in Sleep (I F'in love that band). I don't smoke weed anymore or at least very rarely but I still love stoner rock.

Sleep. That rings a bell. Maybe when I'm browsing these bands on Amazon music app. Not heard any of there stuff, but I'll give them a search and listen to some of their stuff.

If you can remember any Baroness stuff, what are you favourite albums etc?

Turns out I'd only heard of Baroness in a magazine but I checked em out on youtube and they sounded ok... I probably wouldn't buy their stuff myself but it's not bad.

Wondering whether or not to buy Jonathan Davis' solo album. He just released another song and it's growing on me. It's not as good as old school Korn but that was like 20 years ago so obviously it's going to be different. There was a really cool part in the new song with a Sitar part.

Sitar lends itself quite well to metal music bizarrely. I've heard it a few times before and while I can't namedrop any songs at the moment, it stood out for the better.

If you like that sort of thing check out Secret Chiefs 3, they do it quite a lot as well as various other bizarre experiments with music.

Excellent. That has also been added to my list. Thanks.

Heard recently that SODOM have a new line-up.

Evening, Dude. Just letting you know that I'm giving some Sleep a whirl on my work commute just now. Listening to an album that is basically a 1 hour song called Dopesmoker? Thoroughly enjoying it. There's something about that deep low chord crash that I could listen to forever.

Have you heard of Atragon? An Edinburgh band who are barely out of their nappies as far as I'm aware. Really cool stoner vibe, but with some up tempo stuff. I believe the genre they've coined for themselves is "doom & roll" lol.

Yeah I've got that album on CD, but I've always preferred Kyuss for stoner rock. Sleep are very good but none of their stuff stands out if you know what I mean, it just becomes one big blend of psychedelic, jazzy, metally stoner bliss. I've got every album of Kyuss' and although there are some tracks I can't be bothered with, there's at least 5 gems an album. Amazing band.

QOTSA are ok and all, but old school Kyuss are far superior in my opinion.

I personally prefer QOTSA but still have a lot of love for Kyuss. Those earlier Desert Sessions were a very nice blend of the two.

Can't remember off thr top off my head, but thr album that the song "Thumb" is on is just wall to wall excellence. The song Thumb is a beast.

Blues for the red sun. Great album. I can't really pick a favorite album or song of theirs.

There are so many top quality songs from them. That Blies...sun album is stacked with tunes.

Circus leaves town would be my favorite if it wasn't so short with a giant gap of nothing at the end.

I'd loves Queen's but I just don't dig Josh singing.

We had the Sleep/Kyuss convo on the old board as I recall.

Anyway, since you mentioned them I see the new Sleep album is getting some positive reviews, as is the new A Perfect Circle album.

Seeing as they were huge in the world of metal, I'm a bit down about the fact that both Abbott brothers are gone. I know I've already mentioned it but it's a big thing.

I like Anselmo's vocals, but as a human being he's just not very nice.

Also, apologies Prime, I tend to repeat myself a lot even when I'm not drunk.

Ha, not something you really need to apologise for, but alright.

Looks like a fairly quiet summer for metal based on the upcoming releases. Though AiC are dropping Rainier Fog towards the end of August. Truth be told I don't know a lot of their stuff post-Layne.

I have listened to some of it but it's just not the same without Layne. Jerry Cantrell seems to be hardly bothered anymore.

Admittedly the new vocalist is damn good at covering their songs but I just feel kind of dirty listening without Layne.

I personally think the band should be called something else.

There's a rumour out there that AC/DC are going back into the studio (with Rudd on Drums and Stevie Young taking Malcolm's rhythm guitar spot). Possibly with Axl on the vocals though that'll be dependent on what he's doing with Guns N' Roses, since people are being a bit coy about whether they'll have more music out soon.

I never got that into ACDC but what I've heard is good, and it's good for all their fans.

I'm more interested in a new GnR record but I'm almost certain it won't be very good. Slash must be about 50 by now and it just won't have the same energy as their earlier stuff. Also all the drugs/smoking/alcohol they've all consumed isn't going to help them.

DC will hold up better than GNR I'd have thought.