Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Though AiC are dropping Rainier Fog towards the end of August. Truth be told I don't know a lot of their stuff post-Layne.
    Just checking this album out now. First instinct is I like this a lot more than I expected to like it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

If you don't mind having nightmares for the rest of your life, check this out. They're an internet band, as in they made their music thru the net and don't tour or anything. It's crazy complicated, apparently it's an 8 string guitar tuned EAEADGBe

Last edited by The Dude; 12-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Haha, anything that comes with that kind of an intro is probably something I'm going to sidestep nowadays.

Just listening to the latest Iron Maiden album. I know they are one of the bands that divide opinion in the metal community, but for me they are ridiculously consistent. And this is great, I've been nodding my head pretty much from the start. You've got to be happy enough with what some people consider 'rock excesses', mind. It's typical Iron Maiden in that regard. And there's only the one song under 5 minutes long, and that one runs for 4.59, so....

Y'know, I really should have grown out of this stuff years ago, and I don't know why I like it because it's so silly and cheesy, but I do. Been listening to Ghost's album from this year, Prequelle. Obviously heard the single that had some NXT connections but broadened it out now to listen to the rest of the album. And it's cheesy as hell what with all the silly Satanic stuff and all. But though I can't take it seriously at all it puts a smile on my face, and there are some cracking hooks in there underneath those cheesy lyrics.

It's daft, and for a lot of people it probably isn't dark enough to be 'real metal', whatever that means, but I liked it in a weird way, nonetheless.

That album is one my favs of the year.

Y'know, for all I say it's cheesy and all that, I'm not surprised. There's hardly a song on there that isn't really catchy. It's infectious.

I checked out Ghost a while ago because there was so much hype around them but I didn't like them...

The world would be a very boring place if everyone was the same and it's good that people enjoy it, I just don't get what the fuss is about.

It's almost like if Slipknot decided to go glam (wait, that's already been done, remember The Murderdolls?)

Metal, and even rock in general is really, really stale at the moment it feels like. It's like Prime said ages ago, there hasn't been a decent new trend in metal in forever.... I'd say deathcore is the last genre I really enjoyed and though it's still going it hasn't been much since the early 2010's.

What album did you check out? I ask because the one this year doesn't really sound anything like Slipknot. It's nowhere near that heavy, really. There's obviously a lot of metal in it but it's probably borrowing more from older metal styles and there's a decent helping of pop in the tunes, too.

I just looked them up on youtube a while ago, I can't remember what songs (thunder??) and meant more the style than the actual music. E.g the make-up, the anomaly of the band members etc. For example, most of the band members you'd to just be referred to as ghouls, not an actual name. Like Slipknot used to use numbers.

Unless you're covered head to foot in tattoos it seems you're either wearing a mask or in make up in metal these days.
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-09-2019 at 04:01 PM.

I don't think I can remember something really new in metal since the whole emo thing, and I wasn't really into all that. But it's swings and roundabouts, because it seems like the number of unapologetic rock 'n roll bands out there is huge nowadays. I remember when hardly anyone making that kind of music seemed to get any traction but you can find thousands of them now.

Probably not much help if that ain't heavy enough for you and if you're only into metal, but if you just like guitar based rock there's no shortage of the stuff around.

It's not that theres a shortage but there just isn't anything very interesting, to me at least.

I might check out that Alice in Chains album out if it's on youtube. It's about time I got over the fact that Layne's long gone and decided see what they've been doing since. I have checked out a couple of tracks but they just didn't really sit well. Maybe this album is better?

It's not like I don't like Cantrell's solo stuff. Boggy Depot is a great album kind of in the style of Jar of Flies/Sap.

I will edit this if I find Rainier Fog to download or on Tube.

I hear plenty of interesting rock N roll bands now, if you're willing to look for 'em.

But as I say, they aren't working in metal. So if that's what your after, it doesn't seem like there's much to find.

Sometimes it feels that way. I follow Loudwire on Twitter but it's generally just reliving past glories. It covers stuff from Blink 182 to Slayer etc... I dunno, I think I'm just getting old and (even more) stuck in my ways.

Downloaded Rainier Fog. It's good but hardly even sounds like what I'd call AiC. Reminds me a lot of Cantrell's solo work. Listening to it for the first time, am about half way through and so far I'm quite happy I've got it.

EDIT: Nah. This is going in the bin. Absolutely nothing stands out with this album. I can listen to it, it's good but just not anything compared to former glories.
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.

I don't like it as much as my favourite 1990s AIC, but some of that stuff didn't especially standout and just sounded good. Thats' basically how I felt about Rainier Fog. Then again, that always happens to bands as they mature - you don't get stuff that immediately stands out anymore. There's something about ageing that means you end up with albums that grow on you instead.

But yeah, I like the sound a lot, even if isn't full of 'bangers' like Dirt, and y'know, as far as I'm concerned that should really be good enough.

As long as they played some of the old stuff too, I wouldn't mind seeing them live if they sounded like that.

I had to delete it as I've got so little space on my laptop and literally am only trying to keep stuff I REALLY REALLY like.

Out of curiosity I checked when a new GnR album might be coming out. "Soon" is all I read. It's a similar situation to what we were just talking about but I am looking forward to at least checking it out.... The guys are getting on now and obviously their carefree days are long gone, but I bet they can still write something at least half decent, it just won't have the same kind of energy.

Banned

Heavy Metal Thread

Great write ups.

As much as I love metal, I just cant get into the screaming/cookie monster stuff.

I like it when its used to punctuate a verse or chorus, but as the main focus of the vocals I just cant get into it. It also bums me out because a lot of these guys can sing really well, but they choose to scream.

I think thats why I always end up liking progressive metal bands after the big change - and most go through the big change, the point where they stop screaming and start singing.

Anyhow, still really enjoying the thread.

BTW - listen to the new Baroness album yet? Another band to go through a big change, and theyve now produced a masterpiece.

German band Nitrogods continue to put out the most Motorhead sounding stuff since Lemmy died, with their latest single, 'We'll Bring the House Down'.

Don't have a clip of that but here's a slightly older song with Fast Eddie Clarke himself actually as guest guitarist.

Motorhead are the shit. Will check that out soon.

Slipknot have a new album coming out soonish. I've bought every album they've ever released but I think I'm just gonna download this one. They're past their prime and now a few members are gone it's just lost what it was. It was like a brotherhood that just wanted to make the heavyist shit they could but that's gone and changed.

If the last album is anything to go by it's not worth buying... :-'( (I shed a tear for old-school Slipknot and RIP Paul Grey)

Yeah. Balls to new Slipknot. I was right, its a steaming pile.

Infant annihilater have a new album coming out this month. Much more interesting. Checked out the single from it and it's good.

Someone recommended this to me. Haven't had chance to listen to the whole album but going off the first track there's a chance some other people might like it based on some of the stuff we've talked about - and having found a video with the whole album, seemed easier to share that.

I was into it Prime, right up until the lead singer opened his mouth lol. Just don't think he fits the rest of the bands vibe. It felt like Tool with Gene Simmons fronting them.

I actually have liked most of the new Slipknot album, though definitely agree they aren't what they were.

Not sure if Korn classifies as Metal anymore, but their new album is sounding pretty damn good. Like the best they've put out in over a decade.

I see where you're coming from with regards to Tool in that first quieter bit, but once it kicked in it had more of a post-grunge kinda sound to me, so I didn't find that so jarring. Seemed he was singing in a way that was trying to channel some of those 90's guys so it fit what I was hearing.

Intro sounds good. Reminds me of Clutch if you've heard of them.

Was waiting on the singing, don't think it's that bad. Reminds me of Soundgarden.

Very 90s style. Nice one.

Maybe this'll be up some people's street - and I guess we won't know unless we try! From last year.

It's ok, kinda sounds like Motley Crue on a budget. I changed my view on Crue, I thought glam sucked but after downloading their greatest hits I'm a fan.

Not bad.

I bought a new guitar recently (sorry for going off topic but kinda relates to the thread), it's a seven string and I discovered a new tuning to me, I dropped the lowest string to A and the E to D. Heavy as shit. I got inspiration from another metal band but they use 8 strings but it's pretty much the same thing. Really cool. Now all I've gotta do is spend hours trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Still got my other six string guitar that I now tend to use for bluesy/folk style stuff.

Ha, you'll need to write to Kerrang then. When that came out the review had no mention of Motley Crue but called it 'your new favourite Stoner Rock band'. You talk about that a lot so I thought it was worth a punt.

I've been going through a Candiria lately kick, as well as all Baroness I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Ha, you'll need to write to Kerrang then. When that came out the review had no mention of Motley Crue but called it 'your new favourite Stoner Rock band'. You talk about that a lot so I thought it was worth a punt.

What the.... Well the guitar is kinda Stoner rock I guess but the vocals are too high for that genre IMO. He sounds a bit like John Garcia with his balls in a vice I suppose.

It's good regardless. Not really that important what genre it is if it's good. I do like labelling stuff in genres tho because it makes it easier to find stuff you like.

Guess I wont be getting a job at Kerrang anytime soon.

I think I'm gonna start using this thread to post random metal vids in... if no one minds that is.

Here's one from FNM before Patton. It has a very soft intro. Not the most metal song ever but it kinda fits.

This song has got me thru some of the darkest times of my life. It's off my favourite album by Crowbar. I know most of it on guitar but it's tuned to A standard but I just play it in normal E. It's annoying because you can't play it on a 7 string because it makes use of the b string which is tuned to f# were as on a seven string the equivalent is a g string. Yes, I've tried the screamed vocals at the end when I've been drunk enough, I just sound like arse though lol.

This was a bitch to find as I kept spelling the song name wrong because I'm dumb. Here it is anyway. Poetic as fuck in a very disgusting way.