RIP Mean Gene Okerlund

Very sad news just breaking is that Mean Gene Okerlund has died at the age of 76.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

"Meqan" Gene Okerlund R.I.P Thread

Mean Gene Okerlund has passed away. WWE released a statement that sums up his illustrious career, but that just does not do him justice. Please use this thread to remember Mean Gene....

The WWE's statement:

WWE Hall of Famer “Mean” Gene Okerlund Passes Away

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Gene Okerlund, the most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history, has passed away at age 76.

In his early days, “Mean Gene”, as he was named by fellow Minnesotan, Jesse “The Body” Ventura first came to prominence by interviewing the greatest stars of the AWA, including Ventura, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and Hulk Hogan. In 1984, Okerlund made the move to WWE where he became a staple on national cable television by continuing to interview the biggest names in sports-entertainment like Hogan, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior and many more.

Okerlund branched out from interviewing by providing ringside commentary and hosting several shows, including All-American Wrestling, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge and Prime Time Wrestling. Announcing wasn’t all that Okerlund could do with a microphone, as his distinct voice sung the National Anthem at the first WrestleMania in 1985. Later that year, Okerlund would sing “Tutti Frutti” on WWE’s The Wrestling Album.

In 1993, Okerlund joined WCW as lead interviewer where he continued to interview many of the legends he had worked with in the AWA and WWE as well as WCW stalwarts, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, Goldberg and others.

In 2001, Okerlund returned to WWE to call the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania 17 along with Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and continued to appear on WWE television programming, including being a cast member on WWE Network’s Legends’ House.

WWE extends its condolences to Okerlund’s family, friends and fans.

EDIT: Prime, I accidentally made a typo in the title of the thread, can you please fix it....
    Last edited by Powder; 01-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.

The Brain
    Very sad news. Okerlund was a key part of Vince creating a new tone for the company and was the best man ever in the interviewer role. Love his work, especially back in AWA. His chemistry with Bobby Heenan on backstage interviews was incredible. He will be missed.

He was a great radio guy who moved over to wrestling. He was one of a kind, and his voice to me, along with the Fink, were the two main voices of WWF in the 80's to me. Imagine, a normal WWF show could have Fink announcing, Mean Gene doing backstage interviews, and Gorilla and Heenan doing commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Imagine, a normal WWF show could have Fink announcing, Mean Gene doing backstage interviews, and Gorilla and Heenan doing commentary.
    You just described my introduction to wrestling. Every Saturday morning and SNME!

I know he spans so much pro wrestling, but he evokes WCW for me, not because that's what he's most known for, but he is part of one of the times I go back to the most. Gene hustled in every sense of the word. He made the hotline a monster. He had an easily irritated persona that made me pay attention. His work with Bobby Heenan was so good. A top PERSONALITY. Honest to god, I'm going for a walk right now because I just woke up late and this shit threw me kind of hard.

RIP Gene.

You are part of so much history in so many places.

His voice is such a part of what we think of as 'wrestling' very few people can say that but for me he will always be inextricably linked. What a sad loss.

People dont give Mene Gene enough credit for crafting Hogans heel turn. His disdain for Hogan came off genuine the night he turned and really helped contextualize what fans were thinking.

Youll be missed.

I remember his disgust on Nitro the following night to this day.

"Hulk Hogan, you have led us down the primrose path...."

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."