US vs UK '18 Announcement

It's with a heavy heart that I'm going to have postpone US vs UK for the time being.

We were due to have started by now, and the tournament timing was - after the first false start - worked out to fit around the times when I was out of the country across the summer, and then to have finished by the time I was likely to get a lot busier. Essentially, all those plans went up in smoke the minute the board crashed. There's also the simple matter of our judges not being signed back up yet, and the fact we'd have to re-run a write-off round, too.

In short, it was a nice idea but for a multitude of reasons it's no longer practical. We'll look into running it in the future, when I'm next able to make the time. Alternatively I don't mind making what I had available to people if they think they can make a go of it.

But thanks to everyone, judges, competitors, and supporters for the interest - and sorry it didn't come off this time.

PT

No problem PT you did all you could and this was so far beyond any of our control.

I'm looking forward to a second round or maybe we could even expand on the World Cup idea and the first comp of the new forum could be that given enough countries being able to field teams.

It's all good. Damn, when the forum crashed I was like, this tournament was just screwed.

The Brain
    Sad but expected. Hopefully we can get it rolling again in the future!

Wait, Pete is from the UK, and he called it off, so that's a default win for the US. WOO HOO! USA USA USA

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Wait, Pete is from the UK, and he called it off, so that's a default win for the US. WOO HOO! USA USA USA
    Now this is the kind of red blooded American thinking I can get on board with.

"De fault the two sweetest words in the English language"

- Homer Simpson, the American hero

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    We just didn't want to humiliate you.

With the above announcement in mind, would it be ok to post my competition submission for the general columns forum?

Hello again, by the way.

Hi Clive!

I don't see any reason why not. People are reposting stuff that got fried in the blast, don't see why you shouldn't.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Cool thanks. I'll put it up tonight. Some of the facts have been changed thanks to Mizfan's feedback also. Thanks again, sir.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

Here was my entry, since I had it saved my gmail. I had a cool pic of Apollo Crews on a mock cover of ESPN the magazine but I didn't save that apparently. Sad that we're not doing this but I totally understand!

Thursday, May 5, 2022
    11:30pm (Eastern)

I used to scoff at the idea that athletes were somehow supposed to be at the forefront of political and social issues while being role models for youth. It's not that I was close minded or thought these people didn't have a voice, it's just that I never cared to hear that voice. Truth be told, I probably came off as insensitive, but I didn't look to the superstars of the WWE- or any professional sport- for their opinions on race, religion, or women's rights. I watched the WWE as an escape from all of that political rhetoric that had us so divisive on social media. This was a scripted fantasy escape from reality where I could see stories fleshed out like that of a movie.

I never wanted my kids to look up to any of these people. I respected a lot of them, but these were still men and women playing a role on television that were extensions of who these people really were at best. I guess my train of thought was that I didn't want them to be disappointed if the fantasy they saw in the ring didn't match up with the reality. Someday, my kids would have the discernment to differentiate between the character and the person- and I just didn't want them to be disappointed. I'm not saying we didn't get fully immersed in the story lines or try to find the valuable lessons through them, but these people were not going to raise my children.

Allow me to eat a slice of humble pie and do the dishes to boot.

Wrestlers can be on the forefront of change. Wrestlers can inspire and make a difference outside of their prism.

What Apollo Crews did for wrestling just a few weeks ago erases the perception of Chris Benoit completely. I know that's a bold statement, but I feel like it wipes out a stigma that has followed the WWE for years. Instead of a selfish, sadistic wrestler who murdered his family and took a company's perception down with him, we got a selfless, brave hero who turned a tragic situation into good.

My heart breaks for the families who lost a loved one in the Elm Creek elementary school shooting last week , but I stand in awe of Apollo Crew's bravery. He was there to teach students the importance of reading, he was there to project a good company image- one that the WWE was desperately trying to seek in any avenue possible.

He left a hero.

I can't get the image out of my head of a gunman who would deliberately want to hurt children. He stormed into that classroom with reckless abandon and fired off shots with no regard for human life. I don't know if in that moment I wouldn't be thinking about saving my own life over others on instinct, but Crews was ready to lose his and I just can't even begin to tell you how incredibly inspiring that is. To literally throw your entire body at a wild man shooting a gun is gutsy. By some miracle, he forced the shooter's aim to be off to where no further damage was done. He held him down until the cops showed up and saved 15 lives that night.

His speech on RAW this past Monday was nothing short of amazing. To think he not only saved several lives, but spent the night in the hospital by the bed sides of two children who were in critical condition is what character is all about. Every television appearance he made over the past 3 weeks, every endorsement he's had, he's donated every dime to the families of the victims and for top notch therapy for those young children who had to witness something they'll never get out of their head.

According to the Nielson quarter hour breakdown (which I'm so glad they are doing again to gauge interest), Crews 15-minute segment drew in something like 20 million viewers. The show overall averaged 8.5 million for the 3-hour broadcast.

We have had about 4 weeks to digest a tragic situation, but one that God ultimately used for Apollo Crews and the company's good. I didn't want to write about what this meant for Crews career too soon, because I think that would have been a huge slap in the face to the families affected. Even if these families were to never read my stuff, the conviction of only making this about wrestling would have eaten at me and I didn't want that.

You saw the ratings. You saw the appearances on Ellen Degeneres, The Today Show, and Good Morning America. Hell, even Saturday Night Live utilized him in a tactful manner to prove that laughter can be a good medicine.

You have a star now. Though Apollo himself said he'd take back every ounce of new found fame to have saved everyone that day, we have to call the circumstances for what they are.

Apollo Crews is a star. He's a star with parents who now have every excuse to give their children the green light every Monday night to watch a hero who wears an infectious smile as his cape. He's a star with kids as a trustworthy baby face you can get behind because he already proved he'd take a bullet for anyone.

But perhaps most significantly, he is the African American superstar the WWE desperately needs.

We can talk all we want about how color shouldn't matter and how certain races shouldn't be featured over others, but color does matter. Crews can be the spokesperson for a country where race is still a hot button topic. Crews can be used as a tool to bridge the gap and start newer, healthier conversations. He could be the man who inspires young black kids all across the world that they can break through in wrestling.

There are probably people secretly whispering that this fame and notoriety can't last, hoping they didn't say it loud enough to offend anyone. Perhaps those people need a reality check that Crews is already a good athlete with all the talent in the world. Call me crazy, but I'd rather be one gimmick away from mattering than be a gimmick with no athletic talent.

We never know the circumstances in which a superstar will catch lightning in a bottle and become the next big thing. This isn't what anyone had in mind for Crews to get people to notice him, but he's being noticed.

In 2022, we can fight over anything. We fight over gun control, gender quality, religion, the president, sports, and anything else because social media has turned us into selfish monsters who only want a platform to be right and not listen to what the other side has to say. We have a story that is 100%% pure and can 100% be applauded regardless of your background. A man saved lives and put his own life up for grabs. Lets put down our weapons and take in this moment for all the good it possesses.

Wrestlers can be heroes. Apollo Crews is mine.