Inside the Mind 1000: "The Human" Becky Lynch

Hello and welcome to another additional of Inside the Mind. My name is anonymous and I'd tell you a bit more about myself but that would make my name meaningless. It's rare that you get 2 columns in a month. I'd love to say it's because I have an overwhelming, desperate passion to write. But the truth is, I'm just avoiding doing all the important things I need to do in my life, like cleaning the house, looking at jobs and general adulting. And I've also had some good wrestling debates recently. Today's column comes off a heated debate with a friend about the Women's revolution. My opinions differed quite strongly to hers and I very nearly wrote the whole conversation as a column. Instead, I chose to publish my own, one-sided view because it's my column and in this place, I'm always right.

I hope you enjoy.

In recent times, Becky Lynch has taken to calling herself “The Man”. She’s been a breath of fresh air in the WWE, an honest, organically over talent who the WWE have been unable to ignore, despite its best efforts. In all credit to them, the WWE made the choice to turn her heel, causing her whole personality to change and be spotlighted, which in turn resulted in her getting over as a face, simply because she was far more engaging than the vanilla babyfaces that the WWE put opposite her. With a fanbase desperate for edginess and receiving the same formulaic, boring characters, Becky Lynch has redefined what a main event face should be. It’s no over-statement to call her a throwback to Austin. Both weren’t your generic face. And both made their own successful road to the top. For me, Becky Lynch is the highlight of my week watching wrestling right now.

But I’m not here today to glorify Becky. She’ll do that by herself; as she continues to engage the Universe in her matches and promos, constantly outperforming those opposite her. I’m here today to challenge the social norms and encourage the WWE to catch up with humanity and become bolder and more experimental. The year is 2019 and the time has come to accept that the women in wrestling today are just as good as the men. In fact, they’re better. We’ve had the women’s revolution, which has resulted in more screen time, better matches and a total overhaul in women’s wrestling. But the WWE has yet to make the final step towards total progression and matching what the world is progressing towards right now. The WWE needs a female Universal Champion. And the WWE has the star that can do that right now. Becky Lynch.

We’ve had women wrestle men before. But only on a smaller scale. Chyna was absolutely fabulous and well ahead of her time. I like to think in 20 years she’ll be seen as a pioneer. Sadly, her real-world issues will always overshadow what she achieved. But she still will go down as an incredible achievement who deserves more credit. In Becky, you have a talent who is also incredibly talented. She could be Universal Champion today and would be enormously successful. But I’m not just talking about Becky. I’m talking about Charlotte, Sasha, Rousey and the whole women’s division. A group of women who could abandon their own title, their own stigma and segregation, and take on the men to produce incredible matches. Sasha Banks vs Seth Rollins. Charlotte Flair vs Daniel Bryan. Ronda Rousey vs The Miz. Bayley and Sacha vs The Usos. Each would be a dream match to at least one person, and the only thing stopping it happening is a label.

The year is 2019. The modern generation is increasingly putting a stop to labels on gender and the phrases “man” and “woman” are becoming more and more antiquated in a lot of our world. We live in a unisex world, where men and women are considered equals in more and more fields. The mere concept that women need their own division in the WWE is to suggest they are either sub-par, or being protected, something which this generation does not want to see. In today’s gender neutral times, the idea that women are segregated to their own special division is antiquated. Should the women’s division be scrapped altogether? I’m not sure. One day, potentially. But what’s to stop it being a title only a certain group can chase, similar to the cruiserweight title, only with more spotlight and prestige.

I take issue with the women’s only PPV, as for me, it doesn’t portray the women of the WWE in a light that society would like them to be seen in. For every comment about how progressive it is, it was just a sideshow. It segregated the Women of the WWE far more than anything that had come before it, taking backwards steps towards them strolling back into anonymity. If the WWE wanted to portray women as equals, they would integrate them with the men, rather than separate them, akin to how a school would separate and spotlight their disabled students in an attempt to get plaudits. Yes, I enjoyed the PPV. But it was like charging money for a freak show. Which is everything that the women of today’s WWE don’t deserve. For every financial or media success it had, it was still a woman’s only PPV. Which instantly suggests the women do not belong on an equal footing with the men. Like second class citizens. Which I’m sure is the opposite of what the WWE was aiming at.

I take issue with Becky calling herself “The Man” as well. Why not “The Woman” or even some gender neutral nickname? Does she view women as inferior? Are they so inferior that she has to give herself a masculine name, simply to put herself over? Becky is hurting the women of the WWE today with that nickname and, as much I love her, I wish she would change it. Admittedly “The human” doesn’t have the same ring to it but there must be more options in her arsenal than insulting her whole gender just for the sake of putting herself over.

People will argue that Becky should never be Universal Champion as the men might injure her. Or it’s inappropriate for men to wrestle women as they do men. Or she’s simple not believable. These are all points which are redundant in 2019. In the WWE women’s roster today are a hybrid of exceptional wrestlers, monsters, up-and-coming talent and ex-divas. Becky frequently wrestles much larger athletes such as Nia Jax, Tamina and others. She frequently has to battle stars who are much greener than she is, risking herself an injury. Wrestling the men is no different and actually, given the quality of Male athlete in the WWE, possibly safer. The men have to fight tooth and nail to be called up to the main roster and those who are there are the best of the best. Becky would have the same risks wrestling them as wrestling one of the women.

Also, why shouldn’t she beat Brock? Yes, she’s smaller. But so’s Bryan. So’s Mysterio. They’d both put up a fight against Lesnar. And David vs Goliath is a well-known concept within the WWE. This would be no different. And I can hear the voices now... “But Becky has lady parts and the men might touch them accidentally”. Ummm so what? She’d be clothed and once again, it’s 2019. If dancers can survive far more intimate positions and other athletic fields don’t have issues with it, I’m sure that the WWE could move on enough to cope. In a world where gender and sexuality are less defined, who seriously gives a fuck what’s within your clothing, especially if you’re putting on a show and being professional. Seriously, I would get more joy out of Becky vs Brock than any of the alternatives.

This is why, for me, the Women’s Revolution has been done all wrong. It shouldn’t be about making the women separate but about making them equal. It should be about integration and progression. In 10 years, the world is going to look very different and gender is not going to be defined at it is today. The WWE could be a pioneer and a true inspiration for those seeking equality. Or it could remain as it is. Traditional and antiquated; waiting for its next male superstar to break through the glass ceiling forever. The way I see it, they have their new mega-star, ready and waiting for stardom and to be the face of the WWE. And her name is Becky Lynch.

So on the 27th January I want Becky to enter the men’s rumble and win. I want her to beat Brock at Wrestlemania. And I want the WWE to make that the norm and not the exception.

Becky shouldn’t be the “Man”. She should be the “Human”.

Thank you for reading.

I'm 100% percent with you that Lynch is my favourite part of wrestling every week. If any women should hold the Universal Title Lynch is the best choice as she is the most over wrestler in the entire WWE and I know for a fact that it would increase her badass rating tenfold. Lynch and Charlotte are like the Austin and Rock of WWE at the moment with a great rivalry and they are undoubtedly the stars of Smackdown.

But we speaking about WWE here and regrettably I just don't see that happening. WWE won't even let the women face the men in a mixed tag match. I think it boils down to WWE being a publicly traded company and they do not want their shareholders to complain about men hitting woman. And it is also the society in which we live in now that contributes to why this won't happen in WWE. Everybody these days are looking for a fucking reason to be offended and I know damn well that WWE will get alot of pushback for intergender matches where people will be saying that WWE glorifies men hitting women even though WWE will surely publicly state they are doing this to push equality. Maybe in another time this would have been plausible, but in this generation and for a publicly traded company I just don't see it happening (despite mega-star potential for Becky).

I have to say that I loved the Evolution PPV and for me they were just spotlighting the Women's Division, I didn't see anything wrong with wanting to put the focus solely on the women for once. But that's just my opinion.

Great column!

Cheers for writing this, Nony. If it had been posted on the MP, you'd have pages of comments pouring in. Nevertheless, a touchy topic like this is sure to stir up plenty of discussion (I'll be shocked if Mizfan's feedback is under 500 words).

The fact that WWE doesn't allow the men and women to wrestle each other in mixed tags has always bugged me as it does little to promote equality. Personally, I would love to see the company take more of an indie approach by booking the men and women to face off regularly. Not only would it definitively place both genders on the same level but doing so opens the doors for an endless combination of fresh matchups. Plus then Vince could have his Charlotte/Rousey match at Mania and the fans wouldn't reject it because they'd also be getting Becky/Brock! Ahhh to dream. I feel like the universal reaction would be split down the middle. Progressives would support the move because it's different and - for lack of a better term - ballsy while traditionalists condemn the intergender stuff for being unrealistic and a corporate agenda taken too far. It's fun imagining WWE taking such a bold leap... too bad they're a bunch of bitches.
    Last edited by SkitZ; 01-13-2019 at 09:10 AM.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    No. Not happening.

In just about all sports, the women compete separately from the men. Wrestling should be no different. At the end of the day, it boils down to a point I made in a recent Fact or Fiction on this topic - sooner or later, you have to show a man beating the crap out of a women, and that is never going to be acceptable.
    FACT or FICTION: Ladies and Gentlemen, Elias.
    PM me to get involved.

Just going to link back to my column from six months or so ago so that these two can be in some kind of dialogue....

http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...lk-Intergender

And to be honest, most of the things I'd say in reply are already in the column....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Don Franc View Post
    I'm 100% percent with you that Lynch is my favourite part of wrestling every week. If any women should hold the Universal Title Lynch is the best choice as she is the most over wrestler in the entire WWE and I know for a fact that it would increase her badass rating tenfold. Lynch and Charlotte are like the Austin and Rock of WWE at the moment with a great rivalry and they are undoubtedly the stars of Smackdown.

But we speaking about WWE here and regrettably I just don't see that happening. WWE won't even let the women face the men in a mixed tag match. I think it boils down to WWE being a publicly traded company and they do not want their shareholders to complain about men hitting woman. And it is also the society in which we live in now that contributes to why this won't happen in WWE. Everybody these days are looking for a fucking reason to be offended and I know damn well that WWE will get alot of pushback for intergender matches where people will be saying that WWE glorifies men hitting women even though WWE will surely publicly state they are doing this to push equality. Maybe in another time this would have been plausible, but in this generation and for a publicly traded company I just don't see it happening (despite mega-star potential for Becky).

I have to say that I loved the Evolution PPV and for me they were just spotlighting the Women's Division, I didn't see anything wrong with wanting to put the focus solely on the women for once. But that's just my opinion.

Great column!
    Frank Don Franc- thanks for the read. I do realise it’s a big issue and a big risk for the WWE to take. For all those people who say the WWE glorified hitting women, the WWE should just turn round and say “these women want to do this” and it’s consensual. And the women would need to speak up too. If they want to battle the men, they say it publicly and make it clear it’s by choice.

Evolution was a great PPV but rather than elevate the women it was an avoidable sideshow which people could choose whether to watch or not. And that’s not the right way to do things. The next step is to give them a show like 205 live and totally ignore them on Raw like the cruiserweight. And once again, that’s a step towards oblivion for them. They should be spotlighted alongside the men, not segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by SkitZ View Post
    Cheers for writing this, Nony. If it had been posted on the MP, you'd have pages of comments pouring in. Nevertheless, a touchy topic like this is sure to stir up plenty of discussion (I'll be shocked if Mizfan's feedback is under 500 words).

The fact that WWE doesn't allow the men and women to wrestle each other in mixed tags has always bugged me as it does little to promote equality. Personally, I would love to see the company take more of an indie approach by booking the men and women to face off regularly. Not only would it definitively place both genders on the same level but doing so opens the doors for an endless combination of fresh matchups. Plus then Vince could have his Charlotte/Rousey match at Mania and the fans wouldn't reject it because they'd also be getting Becky/Brock! Ahhh to dream. I feel like the universal reaction would be split down the middle. Progressives would support the move because it's different and - for lack of a better term - ballsy while traditionalists condemn the intergender stuff for being unrealistic and a corporate agenda taken too far. It's fun imagining WWE taking such a bold leap... too bad they're a bunch of bitches.
    MnMs- Mizfan ignored it. *slits wrists* Thanks for stepping in.

I love your terminology in the feedback as you’ve put it far more succinctly than I ever could. The traditionalists will moan and say it’s wrong and the progressives will lap it up. But as you also say, it’s unlikely the WWE will ever do it, particularly as half their booking is still in the 80s. Personally, I’d love to see it as we’d get a universal champ I could actually get behind and support. Something which I haven’t had for many years. Sadly, it won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    No. Not happening.

In just about all sports, the women compete separately from the men. Wrestling should be no different. At the end of the day, it boils down to a point I made in a recent Fact or Fiction on this topic - sooner or later, you have to show a man beating the crap out of a women, and that is never going to be acceptable.
    Coyote Wild- awwwwww please can it happen?

A man beating the crap out of a woman on a show where the woman has consented is no different to a man beating the crap out of a man on a show where they’ve both consented. However, I do appreciate what your saying in regards to the knock on affect. The WWE would have to avoid squashes and any brutality (wrestling to be had, not punches, kicks etc..) to avoid domestic abuse charities going nuts. There’d have to be clear legislation for their workers in how to work with women and what’s acceptable. But that should be accepted in a progressive company.

The other sports thing is something I take issue with massively. If women want to play soccer with the men, why shouldn’t they? Any other sport is the same. I find it archaic and actually downright disgusting that they segregate them, give them less media attention and pay them less wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Just going to link back to my column from six months or so ago so that these two can be in some kind of dialogue....

http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...lk-Intergender

And to be honest, most of the things I'd say in reply are already in the column....
    Pt2- it’s odd to see you almost on side.

Thanks Pete. I think it’s interesting you bring up Chyna as the reaction to her was everything that was right about the concept. Wrestling is all about believing in the talent and if the likes of Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan are portrayed as being able to defeat anyone, why shouldn’t the women? And Becky vs Nia Ajax would be booked in the same way as Becky vs Lesnar.

Also, I appreciate what you say about “it’s not going to happen”. It seems like the WWE wouldn’t take risks on it and it’s a nonstarter of a debate. But, if they’re “listening to the fans” and becoming more progressive, who knows? As I said, by 2030 I expect the label of men and women to be antiquated and considered wrong. Or at least for there to be huge challenges on it. I’m being too optimistic but that’s the way things are going.

Anyway, time will tell. I appreciate the reply and the feedback, as ever.

I love you guys.

The Brain
    I didn't ignore it, I'm just way behind on my reading! And all I can really say is fuck yeah, I agree completely. Intergender wrestling requires good presentation but when it's done well, i.e. without being obsessed with the man/woman aspect, it's awesome and I hope in time it'll become the standard everywhere. I don't think WWE will be quick to adopt it as a general rule but they have been experimenting more recently, to their credit. The only thing I can say is I don't necessarily mind "The Man" as a nickname, because I think the intention is to subvert the gendered association of the name. She's not "The Man" because she's male, she's "The Man" in the same way Ric Flair was "The Man". I can see where you're coming from though, and I think the idea may be better than the execution. Still, awesome stuff here Nony!