Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 81
  1. #41
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    I always assumed that wasn't so much a WWE thing as Graves just needling her for the sake of it. But I suppose they could step in and warn him off, though making people uncomfortable certainly tracks with Vince's sense of humour.

    Anyway, on the topic of making people uncomfortable it's been reported that unless the backlash proves too much you might hear a lot more of references to Roman Reigns' illness in the Ambrose/Rollins feud. That's supposed to be 'part of the plan' going forward, despite the initial revulsion in some quarters.

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  2. #42
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    879
    I read that too, but that is the worst kind of poor taste. Coming off the heels of October, where the WWE loudly, and proudly, support Breast Cancer Awareness month, and talking all about how devastating an illness cancer is. Using Reigns' leukemia as a tool to move the feud forward could potentially turn off a lot of people. It is NEVER a good idea to use cancer like that, especially when Ambrose implied that Reigns' is getting what he deserved.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    589
    Nah, I say fuck it - use it up until the point that they push it too far and someone actually steps in.

    I want to see Ambrose getting reactions like Punk was in the SES, having rubbish thrown at him and old ladies shouting at him. As I said before, too many heels in WWE aren't really utterly despicable human beings. Ambrose should be that, and they should use this as far as they can.

  4. #44
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    879
    Playing off someone's poor life choices and his past drug addictions, and being a self righteous, but completely correct persona as the leader of the SES is different than commenting that getting cancer is penance for past discretions.

    Punk and the SES was the over the top, I'm going to be right in your face shouting from the rooftop about how they were morally correct. So over the top that they came off as villains, but when in truth what they were saying was morally and ethically correct. It was like the Right to Senor or when Angle first debuted. Nothing any of them said was bad at all, and all they did was spout truth in an "I'm better than you way". Perfect for professional wrestling.

    Cancer is a bitch. It doesn't discriminate, and is brutal. Using it as fuel for the feud it really, really, poor taste, and there is no moral high ground that you could justify it.

  5. #45
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    Wrestling fans are just too soft these days. They want to use wrestling to "escape" and not think about real life -- I literally know wrestling fans that say they don't want matches to look too "real" because they like the "people behind the wrestlers" and it makes them too uncomfortable.

    I say, use the cancer. Push it, run with it, make Dean into an absolutely evil monster with it.

    This would be one thing if it was Seth's dad or Roman's wife or someone completely divorced from the business that had cancer. That's distasteful and there's no need to bring them up.

    But it's a guy in the business. He knows the score. Anyone who's in the business would much prefer that if something like that happened to them, hopefully something could come of it and some money could be made. Are you kidding? If I died tomorrow I could only hope that my friends still in the business could use it in an angle to make money. Why is Nia Jax over as a huge heel right now? Because this business has become so neutered and full of people taking to social media the minute something happens to the person that they were working with to apologize and wish them a speedy recovery, that when she sold it like an asshole, it made her look like a genuine asshole and worked. If she'd taken to Twitter to beg for forgiveness and apologize to Becky, and Becky had told her that shit happens and it's no big deal, the backlash to Nia would have been way less and they wouldn't have a heel with genuine heat and a big potential match-up down the line.

    Cancer is awful. I watched it kill my ex-mother-in-law. But this isn't using her in an angle. This is using the real life sickness of a guy who's a wrestler that, hopefully, can make something good and a strong heel come out of his terrible news. This is keeping Roman's name on TV while hopefully helping to make a truly hated, not "cool", heel.

  6. #46
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    I don't have the problem with it that some people have, but I don't see it as a people don't want reality case. Here, if you choose to go that route, that's the less real thing for me.

    It's to turn Ambrose into a melodramatic villain, the kind who twirls his moustache. Which is fine if that's the way you want to go, it's just the opposite of 'real', where your villain would still have believable motivations.

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    489
    Should’ve gone Heath Ledger Joker. Like, Dean didn’t really have a reason other than maybe “Eh, I’m bored... let’s cause some chaos just because it’ll be fun.” Or something like that. No rhyme; no reason.

  8. #48
    If Reigns is okay with it, I don't see the problem. Sure, it may make people uncomfortable, but WWE has pushed the envelope with irl issues a lot. Take the Matt hardy and Edge feud from 2005 for example, which was based off their irl love triangle. I know it's not as serious as what Roman Reigns is going through, but still.

  9. #49
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Should’ve gone Heath Ledger Joker. Like, Dean didn’t really have a reason other than maybe “Eh, I’m bored... let’s cause some chaos just because it’ll be fun.” Or something like that. No rhyme; no reason.
    Yes, no reason other than chaos for the sake of it. That's excellent narrative storytelling.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    489
    Not sure if you’re being serious or sarcastic...

  11. #51
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    I couldn't tell either, haha.

    It's something that you can obviously do but comes with some drawback, too. It's really hard to do an emotional, gut-wrenching story of betrayal with someone who doesn't really feel.

    The upside, I suppose, is that a chaotic element does introduce an element of massive unpredictability.

    In my opinion that'd work better if the WWE was more ordered to start with. Chaos worked well in the NWO and early Kane angles because they were a disruption to genuine order. Now it'd strike less of an obvious contrast.

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  12. #52
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    I was being completely sarcastic. That is the worst, least interesting type of character imaginable because he has no motivation for anything that he does other than "because, chaos". Laaaaaaaaaame.

    Everyone needs to watch the Chronicle episode on Dean Ambrose. Drop whatever you're doing right now. In fact, they should dedicate the first hour of Raw this week to just playing it. It's this incredible piece of film making. It starts off as this completely shoot look at his return and how frustrated he's been sitting on the shelf and how he just wants to get on the road, then the call from creative that he has to be on a plane today (which he's frustrated with), then his return.

    ...then it takes a wonderful turn. It pretty much seamlessly transitions into this kayfabe look at his descent into madness, his turn on Rollins and the aftermath. But they completely keep the documentary style, throwing back to past footage that they shot (and I refuse to believe that he knew what the creative was going to be while he was being interviewed), showing night after night on the European tour of he and Rollins fighting.

    It's brilliantly made. It might be the best damn thing WWE has put out in years. Especially when you consider the turnaround time seeing as the end of the doc was footage from last week.

    It really puts across Dean's motivation in all of this as being that he was so frustrated with coming back and not being able to advance himself, instead he was dragged into Roman and Seth's issues as a backup act. He just wants to do what he wants and he's interested in, but he just keeps getting more and more and more frustrated being the backup guy. He loves those guys, but he doesn't view it as "his fight", and then he takes a bad bump in one of the brawls and that makes him even angrier, getting hurt in someone else's fight.

    They lay the foundation of Roman being his best friend in the world. And then something snaps in him that night Roman announced he was leaving.

    I'm sort of frustrated that a company that produces eight or more hours of original television content per week has an extra hour long documentary as almost "required viewing" to fully "get" Dean's turn and provide the background, but it's so damn good that I almost can't fault them. I seriously can't recommend it enough.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    489
    I guess we’ll agree to disagree.

    PT made the statement that using the whole cancer thing “turns Dean into a melodramatic villain twirling his moustache.”

    Why can’t we have a villain that’s just bored with the status quo? Someone that wants to cause chaos because... why not? Have we seen anything like that since Scott Hall showed up on Nitro? Commentators and fans alike have called Dean the “Lunatic Fringe”. Pretty sure lunatics just go off and do what they do for no real rhyme or reason. Forget about trying to justify real life lunatics... sometimes men just want to watch the world burn. Why not incapsulate that into a heel?

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    Dean's segment tonight was really really bad. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired. OH wait Vince thought it was a good idea.

  15. #55
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    I guess we’ll agree to disagree.

    PT made the statement that using the whole cancer thing “turns Dean into a melodramatic villain twirling his moustache.”

    Why can’t we have a villain that’s just bored with the status quo? Someone that wants to cause chaos because... why not? Have we seen anything like that since Scott Hall showed up on Nitro? Commentators and fans alike have called Dean the “Lunatic Fringe”. Pretty sure lunatics just go off and do what they do for no real rhyme or reason. Forget about trying to justify real life lunatics... sometimes men just want to watch the world burn. Why not incapsulate that into a heel?
    The difficulty is that Dean can't really have much of a story or progression of his own in that case. He could only be a chaotic element that floats through other people's stories. One of the big things about wrestling narrative is drama unfolding, and if the motive is just because, that's a whole aspect that has nothing to reveal.

    And actually, now I think about it, my examples were bad. Kane and NWO might have caused chaos, but they did actually want something. It wasn't chaos for it's own sake.

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  16. #56
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Dean's segment tonight was really really bad. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired. OH wait Vince thought it was a good idea.
    It wasn't that bad. The idea behind it was pretty solid, though probably not so much for that character. My biggest complaint with it is that you have Dean Ambrose of all people there, give him an actual shot. Just give him a B12 injection. But actually show that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    The difficulty is that Dean can't really have much of a story or progression of his own in that case. He could only be a chaotic element that floats through other people's stories. One of the big things about wrestling narrative is drama unfolding, and if the motive is just because, that's a whole aspect that has nothing to reveal.

    And actually, now I think about it, my examples were bad. Kane and NWO might have caused chaos, but they did actually want something. It wasn't chaos for it's own sake.
    There's just absolutely no interest to come of a guy being chaotic for chaos sake. He can never have an overarching motive. He never has personal issues. He's just doing it because it amuses him. It's the kind of thing that 14 year old me would have thought was so cool and deep and dark, but 30 year old me would skip the segments for.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    I was expecting very different from that segment than what we actually got.. I'm not saying I expected Jon Moxley but these promos are kinda hokey from Dean imo..

    Not really into this feud. Can't say I would be if it was chaos Dean but that's also because chaos isn't done well by WWE typically.. its a few weeks of something interesting and then it becomes tired.

  18. #58
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    879
    This feud is completely WWE scripting. Let the talent do their own thing. Given them guidelines and a plan, not a script.

  19. #59
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post

    There's just absolutely no interest
    The only thing I could see working is if you've got people invested in something else and then Dean's music hits and you know he's about to spoil it. But again, without an overarching motive or some reason for it, he has no story of his own. All he can do is pass through other people's stories and get them mad at him. You don't have a character then, you have a macguffin.

    It's actually hard to find stories where people do just genuinely want chaos. Seems like there's always an underlying reason or motive for it, even if it takes a while to get there.

    All things considered it's not something I'd want to see, both for the point I raised above (chaos works better in a more structured environment in the first place) and for the one LK has just raised above me (WWE don't work those kind of things well).

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    The chaos people want is really Stone cold fucking shit up. But that had a purpose, he wasn't just giving people stunners for fun. His goal was to get under the skin of Vince. Joker's goal isn't chaos, its to fuck with Batman.

    They could do that in WWE but it would probably devolve into Braun being a monster and trying to find the next crazy thing he could do... The company is too forumlaic and restrained for that.

  21. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    589
    Prime, was it you who previously flagged that initial interest had slipped off on this?

    I've got a working theory that the issue at heart here is that WWE have immediately made Dean Ambrose one of those 'you people' heels, rather than work on the emotional angle of it all. Watching that Chronicle thing - which is incredible - the whole thing is about Dean's emotional response to things, his response to his injury and it putting him on the sidelines, his response to coming back and being back with his brothers, only to find himself the 'weak link' guy in the storyline, the joke (if you like) of The Shield and how that made him feel like shit.

    There's a great bit at the end which is where I really thought this was going to go - Dean talks about Roman being his road wife and that without him there he doesn't know what he's going to do without him. That emotional struggle, that kind of sudden upheaval in his life, and how he handled that - it's a complex story to get across, but I really thought WWE were going to run with that as the reasoning and develop it into something.

    Instead, now Ambrose is saying LA smells, getting flu jabs because he doesn't want to catch germs from the fans, and essentially saying 'you people' for everything. 'You people made me break my body then doubted me'; 'you people smell bad' etc etc.

    I think WWE have really fumbled this since the turn, and could have delivered something incredibly affecting and conflicting in terms of human emotions, but have nearly immediately reduced Dean to some kind of 'heel 101' play book. It's fascinating that just as they start to add some grey shades to characters like Charlotte, who were desperately in need of it, they're seemingly unwilling to lean into this not being Dean be a bad person, but instead someone who emotionally reacted to what he thought was his support system being pulled out from underneath him.

  22. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    That's exactly it for me. This version of Dean as heel, is boring and cliche to me.. Give him something more than attacking the fans... its cheap heat, which alright you don't want him to get cheered but There's better ways to do that.. Bryan's promo on SD, was more about him beating his own weakness out of his body than the fans... it was still sort of a 'you people' promo but done in such a compelling manner.

    This Heel Dean is just not going to work as constructed. Unless his actions can't outweigh it.

  23. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    589
    The only possibility here is to kind of...I don't know if this makes sense or not actually, but to put it out there - Dean's had a week with a scarf over his face and a week getting flu jabs. What if they spin it very quickly to pivot away from this character and turn those acts into Dean desperately wanting to avoid illness because his best friend got ill? They could continue with it as a form of PTSD, if you like, that Dean's now super into avoiding illness as a result.

    I don't know if that works without a bit of detailing and colour around it to really learn into it. But the reason the turn initially excited me was because I saw it not as a 'heel' act, specifically, but as a complex human action that involved all the emotions these two had had during their reunion process bubbling up into something else.

  24. #64
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    879
    i am so glad that last night Renee finally responded to Graves with an appropriate response to his Ambrose comments.

    I'm am paraphrasing here, but when graves asked about Ambrose winning the IC title Renee said something like: "Come on, enough already" then Cole said "that's not fair", and Renee responded "but if he wins the IC title, that great for my household, as it will bring in more money". Good for her.

  25. #65
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,179
    The Dean and Seth match last night seems to have been quite divicive and if you believe Meltzer Vince was squarely in the dislike camp. What did you guys think?



    @Sir_Samuel

  26. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    Awful. Wrong type of match at the wrong time. Vince can be pissed all he want, he won't do anything. The way WWE is managed it can't all be on the workers, the agents that helped put it together need to get their shit together.

  27. #67
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    879
    Also, how do you follow Styles/Bryan where they put on a clinic in story telling.

    BUT the match was terrible. It was slow and boring and the crowd was chanting boring. Then the TLC woman's match came and it was awesome.

  28. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Also, how do you follow Styles/Bryan where they put on a clinic in story telling.

    BUT the match was terrible. It was slow and boring and the crowd was chanting boring. Then the TLC woman's match came and it was awesome.
    You do something that's not like AJ and Bryan. Seth and Dean went out there, supposed grudge match and had roughly a regular match. The brawling for 5 seconds got a pop. So how do you do that match layout and think 'yeah this is good'

  29. #69
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    I think the match, from a technical standpoint, was good. But yes, it was the wrong type of match for that angle. It had the wrong feel.

    Seth Rollins truly is the "workhorse" of WWE. He's the guy that can be trusted to go out and eat up 25 minutes of Raw with truly incredible matches every single week if you need him to. But, that has two drawbacks.

    1) Him going out and putting on a really good, technically crisp, 25 minute match feels "normal" now. You almost need the guy to go an hour like he did earlier in the year for it to feel like there's any specialness to it at all.
    2) WWE expects him to go 25 minutes now and assumes that anything less will be seen as being "less than", disappointing to the crowd, and tarnish that "workhorse" image.

    That was two of the three issues peaking last night into what people called a "boring" match. The third being that we were almost four hours into the show, five to six for the live crowd, and they wanted to get to the main event, see Becky, and get this over with.

    For the record, I enjoyed the match. However, I nodded off 3/4 of the way through Finn/McIntyre and woke up about halfway through the Chairs match, so I was probably way more refreshed than the live audience and I like athletic wrestling. Combine that with the fact that after Final Battle on Friday night, everything on that card except for Bryan/AJ and this match felt like it was being worked in slow motion, and I was into it.

    However, this could have been universally loved if they hadn't tried to fall back on trusty Seth (and Dean, don't anyone believe that I'm lessening his contributions) to eat up time and go 25 minutes. You can't have a crazy brawl for 25 minutes without some big down time for selling, some blood or some of the more violent things that WWE won't allow. It gets old really fast, and it's especially hard to do at the pace that Dean and Seth like to keep. For that reason, I completely understand why they were working holds and wrestling like a standard match. That stuff truly helps to eat up a lot of time.

    But you can have a really good, intense, all-out brawl in 10-12. Imagine taking every ounce of energy that they put into that match, and putting it into half of the time spent brawling all over the arena. Don't even have them get to the ring and officially ring the bell until the eight minute mark. You don't need to use everything that isn't bolted down as a weapon, just two guys punching, kicking and beating one another through the crowd, into the stands, up and down the ramp. Do the exact same finish, even have a battered Dean beg off and try to trick his former friend in the same way, but condense it. It would have been very different from everything else on the card and would have kept the energy up and the crowd engaged for 11 minutes. Most importantly, it wouldn't have lasted too long.

    If it was an issue of time (which I could understand with Strowman and Corbin not being able to do an actual match) you can spend three or four minutes on Seth in the ring afterward selling the loss and the announcers questioning what his next move is. You can eat up a little time here and there throughout the show maybe with interviews with Asuka, Charlotte, Becky and Seth.

    I think timing was a big problem on this show. There was a lot of time eaten up pushing Raw tonight unnecessarily. The people watching this show, they are not the reason Raw's ratings are down. They know Vince is going to be there, they're tuning in tonight. Time should have been shaved from Seth and Dean, some of those plugs for Raw should have been taken out, and Buddy Murphy and Cedric should have gotten their 10 minutes on the main show, maybe as a pick-me-up between Strowman and the Tables match (that really slow tables match where neither girl was physically strong enough to lift a table was where I started feeling tired).

    EDIT: One thing I miss about Attitude Era PPVs (and maybe it was just pre-Network) was you didn't get ads for Raw. They assumed that if you bought the show, you were tuning in to the free stuff. So that time where they advertise Raw last night would have been spent on Kevin Kelly interviewing The Rock about his big main event (any not "backstage reporter" walking up to him randomly and interrupting him), maybe a retort from Triple H and a comedy skit or two to keep things moving. So many things last night felt like they ground the show to a halt rather than keeping it moving.

  30. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    Coach, one thing i have to wonder is, WWE plans these matches out to a precise time, or sometimes people go over whatever... Because of that, Seth or Dean can't just call an audible right? Not even saying that was how it was done back in the old days... The most on the fly thing i've seen in recent years was that Punk/Rey match where i think there was blood and the crowd got restless and Punk jumped on Rey to get them back..

    If i'm Dean in a chinlock and I hear a crowd losing interest. I change it up if i can.

  31. #71
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,179
    It is one thing to go long and leave people waiting it is another to go short and have people unprepared especially when you are mentally preparing for an insane match like a tlc.

    I think you’ve probably nailed things down ther Coach in terms of how people are souring on it. I can feel people turning on Seth as a potential champ already which really saddens me. It really shows how the 3 hour Raw has left people over exposed. In the past he might have 10 min maybe 15 weekly and then the loner ones would be special. Now it is just an attitude of ‘boring until he gets to the Falcon Arrow’ and ‘he always sells the knee’. Of course I completely disagree with these Assesments and even just a cursory glance at his matches this year proves that wrong but these perceptions right or wrong are difficult beasts to shed.

    This is a thread about Dean though and I think his style is not what people want it to be. People assume he is a wild brawler and to a degree he is portrayed like that by the WWE however he is much more of an old school technician. Bret Hart like even. It is a style that tells great stories, is quite cerebral and rewards rewatches but doesn’t have the pop of a slam bam Tommaso Ciampa or Johnny Gargano match.



    @Sir_Samuel

  32. #72
    Super Moderator Team Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Coach, one thing i have to wonder is, WWE plans these matches out to a precise time, or sometimes people go over whatever... Because of that, Seth or Dean can't just call an audible right? Not even saying that was how it was done back in the old days... The most on the fly thing i've seen in recent years was that Punk/Rey match where i think there was blood and the crowd got restless and Punk jumped on Rey to get them back..

    If i'm Dean in a chinlock and I hear a crowd losing interest. I change it up if i can.
    WWE is extremely planned out. Outside of there, if the semi main is set to go 20 but the crowd's not into it so they go 15, the main gets some extra time to do something with. But WWE is so rigid that Seth and Dean cutting it short probably would have just cut the whole show short just because they likely have a spot-for-spot plan for the TLC match and not a lot of time to add 5-10 minutes to it.

    They did an okay job of compensating for the boring chants. Once they started, Seth moved almost immediately into some of his signature spots.

    There's also the fact that sometimes they're just not into what you're doing because they don't want to see it. They had a pretty decent, standard 25 minute match following a really good 25 minute match and on a card where they'd already seen a hardcore stuff and had a TLC match left. It's a really tough spot for Seth and Dean to be in, and if they had swapped that match for Braun's segment in the order of the card, things might have been very different (I'm assuming that Braun is more over than those two and that the crowd would be more forgiving of a 16 minute segment than a 25 minute match).

    But the truth is, sometimes you've just got the raw deal. I was on a card a few months ago that literally had a no DQ match, a Hardcore match, a match with a ref bump that turned into a hardcore match because of it and a streetfight main event. I'm working a standard tag, no gimmicks, after the hardcore match but before the main. We were given like 15 minutes to work with, but as soon as we started and took a hold "boring" chants started. We hit a few fast paced spots to pick them up, but then as soon as someone took another hold the chants started again. Rather than fighting it, knowing full well that no matter what we did they just wanted to see blood, we took it home in like eight minutes and let the main have the rest of our time.

    We had that option, unfortunately I don't think that's the case in WWE which I totally understand because they are trying to nail a four hour window (that's a problem in and of itself, TLC would have been a better card at three hours). It isn't easy to lay out a full card, and sometimes you put something together that, on paper, you think is going to be a home run but when it actually goes on it doesn't work and you realize where you went wrong.

  33. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    Yeah, that's what i figured. I just mainly question why they thought that work in that spot? I don't believe they sent them out there to die on the vine so to speak. its not a cool down match when you're supposed to be a grudge match, 25 mins whatever.

    Unless they planned it out with a different spot in the card in mind and then told that they had the before the main spot.

  34. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    589
    I actually really liked the match in isolation and without everything around it.

    It was certainly the wrong type of match for these two to have, but then their feud has devolved into something very generic since Ambrose turned and, to be honest, I think it's lost the emotional heft it could/should have had. In a way, the match was a product of how badly these feud has slipped away and the very Raw-ness of it all - only on Raw (and, even more specifically, Raw right now) could they take a feud that should be hot as all hell, a mess of complex human emotions and real fire, and turn it into a 'I think the fans are stupid morons with ugly faces and they have big butts and their butts smell and they like to kiss their own butts'/'No, these people are great, you are wrong' heel/face dynamic.

    It's a damning indictment of just how shit Raw has been recently that this is what's resulted from what was, on night one, the hottest and most interesting angle they'd delivered in years. So I don't think the blame actually lies with either Seth or Dean - I think the blame lies with creative for messing up the story. The match itself reflected how that story has gone, because it's lost the heat.

    If this had real heat going in, I think we get a different match. Personally I think you flip this in card positioning with Strowman/Corbin which was largely a comedy/light moment in the whole show, and run that as your cool down between Styles/Dragon and Becky/Charlotte/Asuka. And if you do that and keep the heat on it for the past couple of months, you have it on the card before any of the plunder matches that are on the show and can run it as an all out brawl without it being too similar to anything else that's come before it.

  35. #75
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    Theory out there is that Balor is next for Ambrose, which will probably keep him busy for six weeks or so. Maybe even all the way to Wrestlemania?

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  36. #76
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,179
    I think that would be a great feud for both of them. Balor is in desperate need of a rivalry he can truly sink he teeth into and really define his character with. No man better to do that against than Ambrose.



    @Sir_Samuel

  37. #77
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,179
    Fucking fuckidy fuck

    Bobby Lashley has all the personality of a goldfish and generates excitement levels the equivalent of a mid week retirement home bingo competition.

    HOW THE BLUE HELL does he get the IC over one of the most compelling character wrestlers of this generation?



    @Sir_Samuel

  38. #78
    Not a fan of the quick transition from Ambrose to Lashey for the IC title and honestly, if they wanted to get the belt off Rollins and on Lashley, they could have had Ambrose cost Rollins the title in a one on one match between them.

  39. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    589
    Yeah, it's all a bit unfathomable to me and I'm kind of disappointed - not only do I think Lashley is a bad choice, but for it to be lost in a triple threat environment, and taken away from a hot feud, is very odd.

    Part of me expects them to put this rivalry to bed after the Rumble. I know it's been long rumoured as Rollins vs Lesnar at Mania with the former taking the title - perhaps they have Rollins eliminate Ambrose last in the Rumble (or go down the Bret/Luger route with a 'draw') then have Rollins defend his shot against Ambrose at Elimination Chamber.

    Are they doing another Roadblock this year?

  40. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    705
    I don't believe roadblock is on the schedule.

    I'm a fan of Lashley so i don't mind the switch, especially if it leads to an Apollo Crews feud. I honestly think Vince has cooled on Dean a bit. I mean, he's a heel, Seth is likely to be Universal Champion after mania and they've already done the feud and its been frankly disappointing. So what do you do with Dean if he's not feuding with Seth? I imagine he probably goes on to work with Balor and loses that mini feud as well. I can't see any upward movement coming for Dean especially since they will want to push guys like EC3 and Drew. Maybe a switch back to SD would help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •