LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar

No Good Dean Ambrose Thread

Let's talk some Lunatic Fringe people.

Dean is my favourite wrestler, possibly of all time, he is old school as you could get this side of 2010, sells like a madman, can swing from funny to dead serious in a second on the mic and has a the kind of IDGAF swagger that you just can't teach.

For my money the guy has been underappreciated by the wrestling world since his Brock Lesnar match in 2016 but with his abscence hopefully the heart will grow fonder when he does come back, I haven't seen any injury updates since April so who knows where he is up to in his recovery, I don't mind the time away although I cannot wait to see him return, especially with Seth in the kind of form he is in right now.

Most fans seem to think he will be coming back and quickly turning to the darker side of his character but what do you guys think?

There's an opinion out there that the missed the boat on Dean by not pulling the trigger on him at the right time, insisting on focusing on Reigns instead.

I go along with that for the most part. During The Shield I saw him as the star to come out of it, and while I'm pleasantly surprised with how well Seth has caught on with the mainstream audience I haven't seen anything to change my mind that Dean was 'the guy' of the three.

As a big Dean Ambrose fan I absolutely agree with you, not capitalising on his popularity on the road to Mania 32 and have him win the championship there or at the Royal Rumble before it really was a mistake looking back on things. His character really was the one that had actually been struggling with The Authority since The Shield split and putting Reigns in the position of the Anti-Authoritarian hero was just too much cognitive dissonance considering he was so clearly the pet project of the CEO of the company.

I still think there is time for him to become the star he should have been, the guy is only in his early 30s and they still haven't explored his full range, that main roster heel run could be the doorway to big things.

If not, well the guy makes a hell of a workhorse upper mid card staple and his character is just a natural foil to so many of the WWE's best: Rollins, Owens, The Miz, even Reigns, who he has never had a full feud against.

I think they could have taken the title off of Triple H at Roadblock. It wasn't what they wanted to do, obviously, but Ambrose was hot as heck opposite Trips and the match itself was probably one of Dean's best singles bouts in WWE, outside of his Rollins interactions.

A heel turn feels like it's been talked about or desired a lot since the Rollins redemption angle started, and maybe that's where they still go - I'm still quite in favour of Ambrose coming back and attacking Rollins for moving on without him as a partner despite being his 'brother'.

The Brain
    I feel like they lost a tremendous amount of momentum with Dean over the past few years. Part of it was making him too goofy and losing touch with that dangerous edge that got him over in the first place. Going back to watch his FCW feud with Regal is a revelation of what he could do when let off the leash, but maybe now he's not in that place mentally anymore. I do think his wrestling can be a bit rough, his offense doesn't exactly wow me, though he can be a great seller if you don't mind a guy who's a little over the top.

Agree with the idea that he was RED HOT at one point and WWE totally failed to pull the trigger, and when they did it was when he had lost a lot of his appeal. I think he could be a true unbalanced Roddy Piper type but we haven't seen that potential on display in a while.

I know Pete hates the idea, but I really do think a heel turn would serve him well. He was falling off as a face when he left and he's got plenty of believable motivation, plus we've never seen him as a heel as a singles act on the main roster.

The only reason I hate the idea is that I see the re-turn as something that would have to happen so soon, if it worked. People want to cheer the guy, that much is clear. If the heel turn takes off he'll be hot again and they'll flip him.

It's a standard trope of modern wrestling and it's almost always bad from a story perspective, and I just don't trust them to pull it off.

It'd probably work in terms of the crowd you already have, but I think taking the obvious short cut would probably cut off any ability to pull in people from outside that. There's something that he's shown evidence of that a series of quick turns could potentially snuff out.

Then again depending on the reaction to him when he comes back, maybe it is already too late for that. I heard he was coming back heel anyway, so my take on it is probably moot now.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

If he comes back and makes it a continuation of the original split, then I don't think it would work, if it was becuase of how his 'brothers' left him and didn't even avenge him after he was injured at Joe's hands then I can get on board with that.

Sounds like this is a go for sometime over the next 6-8 weeks. And everywhere I look it does sound like it's going to be as a heel. So it'll probably work in front of the existing paying punters but I think it'll be another potential breakout guy that we've added to the fumble count.

If it is with Rollins I think that they would have the highest chance of success, those guys have off the charts chemistry and from all accounts are happy to call it out when they don't think what they have been given is up to scratch.

That said right now the WWE is on a pretty ordinary patch of creative so if there was a time to mess it up it would be now.

Where did you see the 6-8 weeks?

That's my extrapolation because I've seen a few places say 'in time for Summerslam'. 6-8 weeks would be early to mid-July, so depends how much hype they want to give it really. It could be longer than that, if they go with minimal build-up.

I feel like all the hype they would need would be for him to come down the ramp after one of Rollins open matches, hit Dirty Deeds and cue music.

They probably could. That's not the norm, they usually do a few weeks of interviews so that's why I'm expecting to see him in July sometime. I'd guess it'll be more like the 8 weeks if they go straight into the turn, if he has a couple of weeks as a feint then it'll be sooner.

Maybe we will even get a 24 on Ambrose like the Rollins one.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Sounds like this is a go for sometime over the next 6-8 weeks. And everywhere I look it does sound like it's going to be as a heel. So it'll probably work in front of the existing paying punters but I think it'll be another potential breakout guy that we've added to the fumble count.
    I think the thing is, Ambrose has already been fumbled terribly. He was white hot as a babyface at one point but he's been lukewarm for the past couple years straight. If anyone needs a change upon coming back, it's him. Hoping they bring him in as a face to back up Seth, only to quickly execute the turn and really go all in on Ambrose as a heel.

^ Never really responded to that but I guess if you think he's been killed to the point of there being no breakout possibility left in him, then you do whatever because it won't really matter. And yeah, you might as well turn him then. And turn him back when you want. Because honestly with the crowd they've got left now, who is going to care? Everyone is too busy playing armchair quarterback to give a damn about anything they put out anyway.

Anyway, lot of chatter about the Ambrose return out there though most places indicating it's been pushed back to after Summerslam and more likely September. Though there's a couple of whispers that it could be *at* the event, rather than after it.