Thread: G.L.O.W.

G.L.O.W.

Just a reminder for those following Netflix's wrestling show about the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, that series 2 debuts at the end of June.

The Brain
    I'm really excited to see this come back! I had a great time with the first season.

I also watched the pilot of the actual series a while back and found it both hilarious and strangely compelling. If I ever get the time I'd be very interested in checking out the whole original product, it's certainly unique as hell!

This is nearly here. With so much of the first season focusing on learning to wrestle and finding a character, it's going to be interesting to see how the show evolves this year.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm super excited for this! Probably my favourite thing I watched last year, not least for the whole wrestling side of things but I felt like the entire program was handled excellent. The abortion episode, and everything around that, was one of the more powerful bits of TV I think I've ever seen.

Kia Stevens (Awesome Kong, Kharma) just shared a trailer on her instagram/Twitter and the next season looks a lot of fun.

Did you see the video they did to Flashdance to announce the date?

The Brain
    Yes! It looks like it's gonna be a blast, really excited!

Ha, love that video. What is it now, about two weeks?

Season 2 has dropped. Watched the first couple of episodes. Really good stuff so far.

The Brain
    Binged it through in 2 days, thought it was even better than the first season! Great show, wish there was more already!

Haven't gotten around to it as yet what with my wrestling catch-up (I was SO FAR behind) and little bits of World Cup here and there, but I'm pretty hyped for it nonetheless. Will probably clear through it in a couple of days once I get going.

FINALLY gotten around to this. Haven't binge-watched it but started and definitely intrigued by how it's set up.

The Brain
    As in you've started at the beginning of the series? I think you'll find a lot to like, especially as it goes on. Big fan of the show.

Yeah, started at the beginning of series 2. Now getting into it a lot more. The whole accidental heel turn and Ruth/Zoya saving the day was pretty fun.

The Brain
    Liked the second season even more, lots of fun stuff and clearly very savvy to the wrestling business without being inaccessible to non-fans.

Very nearly finished this now. Once you get into it they fly by. Loved the Muppets take Manhattan reference.

I heard there's already a third series of this confirmed, which is cool. I wonder how long they are going to run this for - there's around four series on TV so maybe it could run for five seasons, if you factor in that it started earlier and could also have a few episodes dealing with the revival/legacy of G.L.O.W.?

Be cool if somewhere in there was a little nod to Ivory ending up as one of the most important women in wrestling during the Attitude boom.

The Brain
    5 seasons sounds about right, though if they have steam for more I won't say no!

Particularly impressed with Awesome Kong's performance on the show, she's as good as just about any of the professional actors. Never would have guessed it but I hope she gets more work based on how well she's done, particularly since I don't think she wrestles much any more.

Yeah I enjoyed the storyline they had with her and her son on there. Interesting tension in that one.

The Brain
    Also the 1-2 punch of the hospital episode and then the actual episode of the wrestling show is a real favorite of mine. Season 2 rocked, can't wait for the next one!

I am really excited for Vegas!!!

AND I think that when they are in Vegas they should have Ivory guest star in an episode. Not in the background or as a wrestler, but as a character on the show, for one episode. An executive, a wife of an executive...etc.

A question about this show... how realistic is it in regards to how the in-ring action is? (Iím assuming thereís in-ring action...) Like, almost any movie thatís ever dealt with poker is pretty unrealistic. For example... a hidden straight flush over a regular ace-high flush with yet another guy having a full house, and stacks and stacks of cash go in the middle. Yeah... that happens, maybe, once in a lifetime, but movies/shows make it seem to be happening every third hand or so.

I used to watch GLOW when it was on, and the TV Show's wrestling is A LOT better than the actual G.L.O.W.

The Brain
    Yeah, and they're pretty loyal to the actual mechanics of wrestling too. Scenes of them learning how to bump and building up slowly to learning bigger moves. There's a scene at the end of the second season that shows them calling a match in the ring which is pretty cool and feels authentic. They aren't showing full 5 star matches or anything remotely like that but it's fun stuff.

Also about the show. The show is more of a tribute to the original GLOW. The characters and situations are inspired by the actual story. It is not a fictional docu-series, which would have been just as cool, in my honest opinion. But the show does hit upon some of the major ideas and concepts and for the most part how the show came about.

One big difference is that Jackie Stallone (Sly's mother) had a big part in the original show as a manager for the Good Girls. Now when they get to Vegas in season 3, they could bring in someone to play her, or supposed to be her. Also after season 2 of GLOW (original), most of the original cast left over creative differences. I have no idea if they will do that in the Netflix series, but if that happens, that won't be until at least season 5, because on the show they only had a kind of season 1, and then (if they are trying to be accurate) they should have 2 seasons from the Riviera before the cast leaves.
    Last edited by Powder; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:47 PM.

The only real problem I have with these is they are just so damn easy to watch that you can binge them when you get going and then you've got an age to wait for the next ones. I actually miss when they used to ration out TV a week at a time, because you had anticipation, and it drew the whole thing out!