Words from a Gooner #1: Is this it?

I remember our journey right from the beginning, one which didn’t even involve you. Your eternal rival shared the limelight with you at the time and I immediately became infatuated with her. She was more mature, more real, more… cool. While you had looks on your side, she "got" me. She was what I was looking for, and she delivered time and time again. Before you knew it, she was making a mockery of you week after week, and I participated dutifully. Little did I know at the time how misguided I was.

Weeks turned to months and months turned into years. My lover fell victim of bad decisions, being led astray by a more powerful force, one that I could do nothing against. I started to stray, to see what was on the other side and I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. You had flowered into a beautiful rose, one was more pleasing on the eye than anything else I had seen before. What’s more, you had a personality now, an attitude that was infectious. So infectious, that to this day I still yearn for our early days, the honeymoon period itself.

That fateful night, I’ll never forget. The nail in the coffin. It wasn’t so much a funeral, more of an entombment. Your rival was no more, forever forgotten to the annals of history. And though you persisted in preserving her memory, you never really tried hard enough. You couldn’t. You had won, and the need to let everyone else know about it was all too hard to resist. At the time, I couldn’t blame you. For all the fond memories I had, they were nothing compared to the future I was looking forward to having with you.

Those initial years were pleasant enough. I was happy, I really was. I tried to put a positive spin on some misgivings I had at the time, knowing things were only going to get better. You produced moments of pure magic that run through my mind even to this day. Especially at this time of the year. And while there were a few missteps, I stood by you for all of it. I look back at that time as a whole with enough fondness for a lifetime.

Alas, it was not meant to be. As you know, certain circumstances happened which meant I had to leave you for a while. I knew even then that this was a "see you later" and not a "goodbye", but I can't deny it was hard leaving you. You continued on your way, reinventing yourself once again, like I knew you would. From a distance, a long distance at that, I did cheer you on and supported you, even if I could no longer be with you.

It was only with the passing of Eddie that we reconnected. With tears pouring down my face, I embraced you once again. Though, as ever, the distance was vast, I reached out at your lowest point to shine a bright light upon you once again.

We had some good times, didn’t we? The Summer of Punk. Do you remember the surprises you would spring on me the day after our anniversary? And what about the anniversary parties themselves, the new friends we met together… We were happily married, tied to each other forever more. But it wasn’t to last.

You became controlling, uninteresting and flat out immature. At first, I thought it was just all in my mind. But the signs were there. On repeated occasions you disappointed me. Do you even know how that felt? After all the time and effort I spent, to see it all dissipate over and over again brought me to the edge of no return. I started seeing others, behind your back. You didn’t know it at the time, but I started to appreciate different cultures, younger more aspiring ventures that lured me into a more meaningful relationship. They made me feel young again, something that I have yearned for more and more in recent years. I had brainwashed myself into thinking you were the only one. In the land of the rising sun, I have now opened my eyes to new surroundings. I came to a very simple conclusion.

I love you. But I’m no longer in love with you.

Is this it?

Is this how it ends... ?

I see no other way forward, and it pains me to say it. Yes, you still have your moments, but these are now so few and far between. You don’t surprise me anymore. You don’t get me off my feet. You cater to other audiences now. In a way, I should have seen it coming. In fact, I did. I just chose to ignore it.

With this all said and done, for old times sake, I will let you try to win me over one more time. A last time. Our anniversary is coming up in the next couple of months. While this feels like the epilogue of a failed love story, you have the chance of rewriting the final act instead. I implore you to do everything in your power to write a final act worthy of giving me hopes of a sequel.

Yours now, then, forever,

Gooner
    Last edited by Gooner; 02-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

The Brain
    I feel like a lot of fans are feeling the same as you, man. Maybe a new partner might spice things up for you? Or maybe it's time to say goodbye... solid column man, I'm sure I remember you writing in the past but it's been a while for sure!

Oh my exit is not so dramatic. Slowly I unsubscribe from WWE network and didn’t bother to watch RR this year. It’s a slow painless exit.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I feel like a lot of fans are feeling the same as you, man. Maybe a new partner might spice things up for you? Or maybe it's time to say goodbye... solid column man, I'm sure I remember you writing in the past but it's been a while for sure!
    Haha, cheers. I'm anyone remembers as it was barely three columns and it was way back when. Sort of made a New Year's resolution to try my hand one more time. My main issue is usually finding something to write about.

I'm giving WWE until Wrestlemania, we'll see how it goes until then. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by JacobWrestledGod View Post
    Oh my exit is not so dramatic. Slowly I unsubscribe from WWE network and didn’t bother to watch RR this year. It’s a slow painless exit.
    It's tempting, but then I think the best thing about WWE is that bloody network and how it gives me access to the stuff I still enjoy watching (namely 1996 to 2009 ish). But it may be a decision that is necessary.

Glad to see you give this another crack. I'm in a similar boat. I do tend to watch NXT and kinda enjoy it, but I doubt I'd keep the Network just for that. I'd have cut the cord if it weren't for the Network in the last couple of years, and I'd have ditched that if it weren't for the archive, so I totally get where you are coming from.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Cheers Prime, I'm aiming for one column a month for now. Ease myself in. Weirdly I now write for a living as a technical copywriter, which doesn't allow for much creativity, so hopefully that'll be the focus here.

Honestly, WWE from a technical and production standpoint has so much going for it, what with the Network, their social media following and talented roster. It's just annoying that the I can't stand what they're presenting at the moment... I mean, I'm choosing to watch 2000 WCW Nitros instead of the current product most of the time!
    Last edited by Gooner; 02-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Watching WWE is like being in a relationships with lots of ups and downs, isn't it? I'm sure there are even more than you'd think who are giving WWE a chance until Wrestlemania to prove they're going in the right direction, especially because they gave us hope at the Royal Rumble.

Good column this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Franc View Post
    Watching WWE is like being in a relationships with lots of ups and downs, isn't it? I'm sure there are even more than you'd think who are giving WWE a chance until Wrestlemania to prove they're going in the right direction, especially because they gave us hope at the Royal Rumble.

Good column this.
    It is indeed, very much downs more often than not. Thanks for the feedback.

It's more like an abusive relationship.

*Turns Braun heel*

Us: "You just hit me!"

WWE: "No, stop, wait. I'll change. I swear! This is a new, fresh era!"

Us: "One last chance, then."

*top babyface feuds with authority/GM/corporate stooge*

Us: "Fuck!"

Haha it does indeed at times. They certainly know how to push buttons in any case.