Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hey guys!

Really enjoyed the show once again. I was a little busy this weekend, so I had to wait until Monday to listen to the podcast! It was well worth the wait. I really love the format, and the way you discuss your subjects. I feel like sitting in my living room and having a conversation about wrestling with two friends! That's amazing. I'm not that invested in AEW, yet, and I don't really keep myself up to date. So this podcast is a great alternative, at least for me! I did not type notes while listening today, but I am very intrigued by the stories that AEW are telling. I sure want to give them a chance before deciding if I like what they have to offer to the wrestling community.

I don't mind Cody v Dustin, to me it makes a lot of sense. I seem to remember they express their desire to work a real storyline together in WWE. I agree with both of you, I hope they don't go too far on the Dusty road, as it would kill a part of the good that this match up can give. Maybe they could've had someone else challenge Cody for this important match, but it feels like a "sure shot" and a "story that writes itself" putting the two brothers in a match.

I also watched the match between Pentagon Jr and Darby Allin match posted by Mystic a few days ago. It was very interesting, and the discussion that followed on the podcast as well. I still need to watch the match v WALTER though... I'll probably be more convinced by the Convince-Me! with another few encounters, but Allin is something special.

Thanks for the shout-out, you guys are doing an awesome job and you deserve to get the praise for it! I hope your next apartment will be more ergonomic to your wrestling watching Mystic!

See ya next week guys!

Quote Originally Posted by cathe67 View Post
    hey guys!

Really enjoyed the show once again. I was a little busy this weekend, so I had to wait until Monday to listen to the podcast! It was well worth the wait. I really love the format, and the way you discuss your subjects. I feel like sitting in my living room and having a conversation about wrestling with two friends! That's amazing. I'm not that invested in AEW, yet, and I don't really keep myself up to date. So this podcast is a great alternative, at least for me! I did not type notes while listening today, but I am very intrigued by the stories that AEW are telling. I sure want to give them a chance before deciding if I like what they have to offer to the wrestling community.

I don't mind Cody v Dustin, to me it makes a lot of sense. I seem to remember they express their desire to work a real storyline together in WWE. I agree with both of you, I hope they don't go too far on the Dusty road, as it would kill a part of the good that this match up can give. Maybe they could've had someone else challenge Cody for this important match, but it feels like a "sure shot" and a "story that writes itself" putting the two brothers in a match.

I also watched the match between Pentagon Jr and Darby Allin match posted by Mystic a few days ago. It was very interesting, and the discussion that followed on the podcast as well. I still need to watch the match v WALTER though... I'll probably be more convinced by the Convince-Me! with another few encounters, but Allin is something special.

Thanks for the shout-out, you guys are doing an awesome job and you deserve to get the praise for it! I hope your next apartment will be more ergonomic to your wrestling watching Mystic!

See ya next week guys!
    There is no GREATER compliment to me than what is in bold. In my teaching, I take the POV that all learning is dialogical and relational. If we can create an environment that is conversational, but also extend that out to the audience in order to allow them to come into conversation (both with themselves and us) then we are doing our job.

Post-WM AEW has been on fire, so I'm looking forward to Saturday. We will talk Cody's response, NWA Crockett Cup, Lucha Bros potentially signing full-time in U.S. with AEW, and a lot more.

You are a radical person for wanting to give a promotion a chance before you judge it. I certainly welcome that.

Darby Allin. I have no prior commitments to him. I'm just meeting him, but I like his consistency of character and how it also plays out in his wrestling style. That is the kind of holistic approach I enjoy. If he keeps that up and AEW puts him in the right stories and frames, the potential is BIG. Definitely watch the match with WALTER. It is completely different but just as good.

Thanks for continuing to feedback. I will have some announcements coming in the near future, plus some things I want to run by mizfan. But, in addition to what our shows are about, we might have a couple of fun things coming soon.

Post 1997, it's difficult for me to get a season of wrestling I can enjoy, so I'm having a good time right now!

Welp, wake up to a video of Jon Moxley breaking out of prison. Just another day in what might well become the next golden age of pro wrestling.

Also, without AEW even yet succeeding, Cody Rhodes might be one of the most influential wrestlers of all-time. If AEW does succeed, he will sit impossibly high on that list. I'm already taking for granted the nerve of an entire pocket of the WWE roster to want off, for Jericho jumping, for Ambrose moving with such a sequence. This is the world Cody built, not only because of Tony Khan and AEW money right now, but, more so, because he did this when there was NO GUARANTEE it'd be a success story.

Pentagon is the breaker of bones.

My man, Cody Rhodes, is the breaker of prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Welp, wake up to a video of Jon Moxley breaking out of prison. Just another day in what might well become the next golden age of pro wrestling.

Also, without AEW even yet succeeding, Cody Rhodes might be one of the most influential wrestlers of all-time. If AEW does succeed, he will sit impossibly high on that list. I'm already taking for granted the nerve of an entire pocket of the WWE roster to want off, for Jericho jumping, for Ambrose moving with such a sequence. This is the world Cody built, not only because of Tony Khan and AEW money right now, but, more so, because he did this when there was NO GUARANTEE it'd be a success story.

Pentagon is the breaker of bones.

My man, Cody Rhodes, is the breaker of prisons.
    Also, impossible to say for sure what he's doing and where he's going (in a land of work, they know how closely we are watching these days and *still* know how to work us), but, as someone mentioned in comments, he walks past dice, and one is at 2 and the other at 5, which of course could be speaking to the 25 of May.

Really enjoyed the convince me segment today. I actually wrote about the Rhodes v Shield feud back when I was doing the Yes Relived series.

There is one thing that tyrants never understand though. To them power is a game and fear the ultimate tool. Because they are ultimately cowards at heart, people who would bow down before terror if it was ever wielded at them, they can never fathom someone actually standing up once they have been backed into a corner. However in The Rhodes, The Authority wasn’t dealing with a family of cowards, they were putting hard times on a family that was steeped in a legacy of standing up to those that would hold power over the heads of normal men and women. Fighting back against people who tried to put hard times on them.
    That is what I wrote to set the scene at the time and I do stand by it.

I agree so much that Cody's promo before the match was incredible but it is interesting how it almost seems to be heading towards this show down they are now putting together.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    The Questions For AEW's EVPs
    @Sir_Samuel

As I told Mizfan yesterday, I started the podcast at 8pm and finished just before midnight. Turns out that listening to a podcast, pausing it, writing notes on a cell and playing it again takes a lot more time!

Let me first say : YESSS I want that WrestleMania discussion! That would be amaaazing! I agree, WrestleMania has changed through the years, not every 'era' is the same to each others. Some do seem to be rated higher than others, and history shows that some years are viewed as it truly was a privileged earned to main-event the show rather than being used to build someone. Don't know if I make any sense at all, but in the recent years it's being done in the wrong way. WrestleMania needs to be something different than it is portrayed right now. It just feels like a big party for the upper class of wrestlers and that damn glass ceiling isn't that transparent anymore. Also true, WM isn't necessarily the Grandest Stage of Them All today. And as I was reminded in my debut column by Mizfan, a great career (hall of fame type of career) never needed a WrestleMania, but oh how WrestleManias need great careers... Yes there was a time where these two things were directly linked, but today I'm not sure it's still true. Wrestling is changing and man that's exciting!

AEW
    That's the problem of such a long build up/wait between two shows. We are so used to things moving fast now, that's 2019. We are reading a book and want to have already read the next page. The wait is hard on fans, you just want to have more answers on what will be AEW and you'll get them after the actual show! I totally understand that! I should probably make time and go listen to the other weeks of your podcast before I continue with the weekly new episodes.

Mox:
    When Mystic started to talk about Mox, I just paused and wrote what follows before listening to the podcast. oops!
    You know what, wrestling through the life of their fans, gives them heroes. I read recently somewhere, that not all heroes wear a cape... True. So true. Ours wear flamboyant outfits with flashing lights or sparkly robes or thighs with their own faces painted on them. I think, when you get older, and still chose to suspend disbelief (even if someone says he doesn't), you discover another kind of heroes. That's what Roman's leukemia gave to any and all cancer fighters and survivor. It gives you hope, it gives you a goal, it gives you "someone like you" a simple human, that overcame the same thing you are going through.
    Same exact thing with Kofi winning the WWE Title at WrestleMania and the Afro-Americans community.
    Mox's story is the exact same, but for another part of the population. How many times in life do you feel trap, with work, or with marriage, or with family, or with sickness, and all you want to do is escape. You can try, but you probably won't be able to escape... That is until that day Mox escaped that prison (I interpret it as escaping the WWE), through the wall and after MANY attempts. It means you can too, in your really real life! That's what people want, they want to see themselves in the product they watch, they want inspiration, they want to feel something, they want to connect. That's being human!

Finally, I always always looove to hear someone talk about a match they loved. Thanks a lot for that Mystic.

I also checked out MLW, and I probably will continue to watch it when I'm losing myself on Youtube lol!

See you next week!

AEW...i am enjoying the buildup...also I think lesser exposure for the talent will make the night better...i agree that some of the double or nothing ppl happy to be here stuff has been repetitive and overdone. But the last couple weeks have been good and being the elite's been good.

Im excited to find out the streaming service and TV deal as well, since I plan on streaming it...Hurry, already!

As for Moxley...Great fricken metaphor from mysyic talking about the wall..I noted to myself how moxley was marred by the barbwire at the fence; its there he changed.

Im with Mizfan that its ok to be on the nose sometimes, but for me the video is deeper than the obvious stuff..Its bigger than leaving WWE..its a character change...I believe this is AEW doing the video....WWE A. Wouldn't produce anything this good and gritty. B. Wouldnt have all the AEW inuendo. C. Wouldnt cast themselves in such a negative light. .Why would WWE think to include the Viper reference, since hes just a dull talent for them? AEW ,on the other hand probbably wants to get their hands on Orton. .I think Dean will use the name Mox in AEW...but Im guessing

Enjoyed the convince me's about Dustin/Goldust. Personally, I dont really like WWE past, present, or future brought into the fued....but ppl must dig it...Just let the Attitude era be and do you. Now, everything else Mystic said really hyped these promos for me...I do like the idea of a dual meaning about killing the brother from Cody (since the Attitude era stuff is in there anyway) i like tbe prodigal son stuff.

Also enjoyed hearing about the tag match Mizfan brought to the table concerning tbe sheild vs. Dustin and Cody..Just shows how poorly WWE went on to use those guys.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Really enjoyed the convince me segment today. I actually wrote about the Rhodes v Shield feud back when I was doing the Yes Relived series.

That is what I wrote to set the scene at the time and I do stand by it.

I agree so much that Cody's promo before the match was incredible but it is interesting how it almost seems to be heading towards this show down they are now putting together.
    Diggin' your quote so much, SirSam. I feel like it speaks to the extremes on all sides of issues and what people usually do is back down, which is exactly what is expected. What bothered me about the video is actually what inspired you, just with the two of us looking from different vantage points. Dusty Rhodes would never be shook, for a single second, by Stephanie McMahon. The Rhodes family would never be pushed out by the PA bodybuilder. And, as I said on the show, should they somehow have lost WWE, they would have been OK. In fact, looking at how you describe them may partly be why they've had so many issues within their family. They are strong headed and they don't back down. That is a virtue, but it can also be a vice. Every conversation I have only leads me more to one truth: Cody and Dustin just need to pass these emotional difficulties through physical brutality, then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by cathe67 View Post
    As I told Mizfan yesterday, I started the podcast at 8pm and finished just before midnight. Turns out that listening to a podcast, pausing it, writing notes on a cell and playing it again takes a lot more time!

Let me first say : YESSS I want that WrestleMania discussion! That would be amaaazing! I agree, WrestleMania has changed through the years, not every 'era' is the same to each others. Some do seem to be rated higher than others, and history shows that some years are viewed as it truly was a privileged earned to main-event the show rather than being used to build someone. Don't know if I make any sense at all, but in the recent years it's being done in the wrong way. WrestleMania needs to be something different than it is portrayed right now. It just feels like a big party for the upper class of wrestlers and that damn glass ceiling isn't that transparent anymore. Also true, WM isn't necessarily the Grandest Stage of Them All today. And as I was reminded in my debut column by Mizfan, a great career (hall of fame type of career) never needed a WrestleMania, but oh how WrestleManias need great careers... Yes there was a time where these two things were directly linked, but today I'm not sure it's still true. Wrestling is changing and man that's exciting!

AEW
    That's the problem of such a long build up/wait between two shows. We are so used to things moving fast now, that's 2019. We are reading a book and want to have already read the next page. The wait is hard on fans, you just want to have more answers on what will be AEW and you'll get them after the actual show! I totally understand that! I should probably make time and go listen to the other weeks of your podcast before I continue with the weekly new episodes.

Mox:
    When Mystic started to talk about Mox, I just paused and wrote what follows before listening to the podcast. oops!
    You know what, wrestling through the life of their fans, gives them heroes. I read recently somewhere, that not all heroes wear a cape... True. So true. Ours wear flamboyant outfits with flashing lights or sparkly robes or thighs with their own faces painted on them. I think, when you get older, and still chose to suspend disbelief (even if someone says he doesn't), you discover another kind of heroes. That's what Roman's leukemia gave to any and all cancer fighters and survivor. It gives you hope, it gives you a goal, it gives you "someone like you" a simple human, that overcame the same thing you are going through.
    Same exact thing with Kofi winning the WWE Title at WrestleMania and the Afro-Americans community.
    Mox's story is the exact same, but for another part of the population. How many times in life do you feel trap, with work, or with marriage, or with family, or with sickness, and all you want to do is escape. You can try, but you probably won't be able to escape... That is until that day Mox escaped that prison (I interpret it as escaping the WWE), through the wall and after MANY attempts. It means you can too, in your really real life! That's what people want, they want to see themselves in the product they watch, they want inspiration, they want to feel something, they want to connect. That's being human!

Finally, I always always looove to hear someone talk about a match they loved. Thanks a lot for that Mystic.

I also checked out MLW, and I probably will continue to watch it when I'm losing myself on Youtube lol!

See you next week!
    Believe me when I tell you that I get it about note taking and time! We put many, a-many hours into prep, but it's been worth it.

Something prompted that WM talk. Something I was listening to one night. But I couldn't find it. Still though. Eric Bischoff (who I don't quote positively much) enlightened my world when he said that post-Stone Cold and others, Vince made a decision that no single wrestler would ever be *the star* again. He would make WWE the star. Well, then, there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Steve Austin main eventing WM 14 when WWE was fighting for its life and had to go with the most urgent, most immediate, most popular, most potentially game-changing star, versus an era where WWE owned everything and their portfolio extended beyond wrestling and WM was kind of "set" and you could put Roman Reigns or the women or whoever else in the main event because the brand "WWE" and the name "WrestleMania" are the stars. I'm not saying that any of these people do/don't deserve it. I'm just saying we don't actually know, although they may be spending themselves with poor booking and other problems to the point that we may one day see a WM that *needs* the legit star, which would be good for everyone.

I like your reminder about mizfan. He used to say that kind of shit all the time, and I wasn't a WWE fan but I wasn't an Indy fan either. So I took his reminder, but it's a whole 'nother thing now when I'm watching some of these Indy folk and know how good they are and know for DAMN SURE they deserve *at least* as much recognition as WWE folk.

The fan in me WANTS TO WAIT LONGER FOR STORIES TO UNFOLD. The person who is hosting a weekly podcast is the one who sometimes needs more material. But I will put my fandom over my podcasting any day. Give me longer, more paced-out stories any day.

"It gives you hope." Hard to understate this. A human being who, for can't find hope in their own life in a particular moment, finds hope in people fake fighting. Again, it's Jonathan Gottschall, it's being a storytelling animal.

MLW is worth the watch. It's not perfect, but, at the core, I respect what they respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    AEW...i am enjoying the buildup...also I think lesser exposure for the talent will make the night better...i agree that some of the double or nothing ppl happy to be here stuff has been repetitive and overdone. But the last couple weeks have been good and being the elite's been good.

Im excited to find out the streaming service and TV deal as well, since I plan on streaming it...Hurry, already!

As for Moxley...Great fricken metaphor from mysyic talking about the wall..I noted to myself how moxley was marred by the barbwire at the fence; its there he changed.

Im with Mizfan that its ok to be on the nose sometimes, but for me the video is deeper than the obvious stuff..Its bigger than leaving WWE..its a character change...I believe this is AEW doing the video....WWE A. Wouldn't produce anything this good and gritty. B. Wouldnt have all the AEW inuendo. C. Wouldnt cast themselves in such a negative light. .Why would WWE think to include the Viper reference, since hes just a dull talent for them? AEW ,on the other hand probbably wants to get their hands on Orton. .I think Dean will use the name Mox in AEW...but Im guessing

Enjoyed the convince me's about Dustin/Goldust. Personally, I dont really like WWE past, present, or future brought into the fued....but ppl must dig it...Just let the Attitude era be and do you. Now, everything else Mystic said really hyped these promos for me...I do like the idea of a dual meaning about killing the brother from Cody (since the Attitude era stuff is in there anyway) i like tbe prodigal son stuff.

Also enjoyed hearing about the tag match Mizfan brought to the table concerning tbe sheild vs. Dustin and Cody..Just shows how poorly WWE went on to use those guys.
    I'm with you on TV and streaming. It feels so much like it's going to be TNT and, if it should be TNT, with additional stuff on B/R, god that's just a place in life that I never thought I'd see.

I loved talking Marty/Nick and Ambrose. Just getting lost in story. What a pleasure! I like your take on the barbwire. It's also true that even when it takes THAT LONG to break the wall and even when we have to think it through and EVEN WHEN WE ESCAPE, a few hundred feet later we are locked in barbwire! You are right though. That might be the moment, because he had to rip himself apart in order to break free.

Not knocking folks from another thread here, but i was reading about how "If Ambrose goes to ________" Vince might punish Renee. *If* Dean is gone, he shouldn't worry AT ALL about this. IF he goes out to live his life and Vince did that, it would be up to the adult woman Renee to determine if she wants to work for an abusive employer or not.

It shouldn't be that hard to say Get fucked, Vince. You stupid piece of shit. Many people are doing it these days.

There is something I like about the use of Mox. He's not Dean Ambrose, but I'm not sure he could or should ever be Jon Moxley anymore. Perhaps it's time to be the 33 yo version of what Jon Moxley would have been.

Also, Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega invaded Southern Honor Wrestling. I'm starting to like Omega a bit. It's more about his festival and how stupidly unaware he seems to be. Maybe my mind will change, but I'm really thinking, whether I ever love him or not, he could potentially be very good for AEW.

So much soon to come. We are getting close to DON.

The Brain
    I will put my fandom over my podcasting any day.
    Love this!

I think, whether we end up liking him more or less than we do now, Kenny Omega will be very good for AEW. In addition to being already enshrined in the great wrestler hall of fame by legions of existing fans, I think in spite of the flaws I have harped on in the past he does have some kind of intangible charisma that will carry him through a lot.

I just wish they could inject his BTE personality into his TV persona. He has a shitload of ethos as a wrestler. We know this. But he's done nothing in the Jericho feud to make me care. Meanwhile, with Fyter Fest (or whatever) and Cody, he is impossibly unaware, in a way that is obnoxious but so seemingly unintentional that it's difficult to pin him down. In the latest BTE, he is spending a bunch of money to either hire or meet with the one of the performers of that festival that turned out to be a ripoff, and someone (maybe Matt) goes off on him about watching the rest of the documentary to see how it turned out. "It's on Netflix, so it's free." This Omega, if Ibushi made it to the top of NJPW and then they were reunited, wouldn't even process that anything changed in their absence. Maybe he would with words or maybe not, not sure, but he would immediately behave as if it were 1, 5, 10 years ago. I don't fully know what all of that is about, but he needs something in his TV persona.

Thinking of why it's so appealing to me:

1. It's strange. Like, what the fuck is wrong with this human being. But also appealing.

2. The Elite are so goddamn strategic (Cody/Bucks) that it is PERFECT having this other personality who seemingly has never had a thought about his behavior in his life.

3. It could create so many different scenarios.
    Last edited by Mystic; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:13 AM.

Only watched the first scene so far but man...MOTHERFUCKIN' CHRIS JERICHO....can't wait to talk about this on the podcast.

The Brain
    Excited to watch that DON! And interesting thoughts with Omega. I kind of like the idea that he doesn't really process what's around him. I haven't really heard his character talked about that way so maybe it's just an impression we're getting from BTE but it kind of adds up if he's sort of a wrestling savant where he can do what he does in the ring by instinct but the cost is everything else in life doesn't register, his mind is always elsewhere.

Decided to post the Convince Me! in advance from now on, so people can watch the matches/promos before they listen to the show. This week is "Hangman" Adam Page!

Match 1: Longtime ROH "young boy" Adam Page has just broken away from the pack and picked up his noose to betray the ROH faithful and stake his claim in the Bullet Club. Longtime ROH top guy and hillbilly murderer Jay Briscoe has promised to make him pay. And yes, the video is meant to start with the previous match still in progress.

Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Page, No DQ 8/19/16 ROH
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/av19391555/

Match 2: Now established in the Bullet Club, Adam Page is still seeking to be consistently recognized and break out on the top level of international competition. The G1 Climax tournament pairs him up against one of the most violent and feared men in wrestling, Minoru Suzuki. Beware of the New Japan trope to play it loose with the rules, often in important NJPW referees are hesitant to call a DQ for anything short of blatant interference by outside parties.

Minoru Suzuki vs. Adam Page 8/5/18 New Japan
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rhjol

Promo: In advance of a singles match with Kota Ibushi, Page has words for the Golden Star.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeVU_UL9-w

Bonus Match: As Cody Rhodes schemes to seize control of the Bullet Club, he recruits Hangman Page and Marty Scurll to his cause, but Scurll is conflicted because it was Omega who first recruited him to join the group. Omega calls on his friend Ibushi to be his partner for the first time in over 3 years. Longtime Bullet Club member Chase Owens comes to Omega's aid as well.

Cody Rhodes, Adam Page, & Marty Scurll vs. Kota Ibushi, Kenny Omega, & Chase Owens 2/23/18 New Japan
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6f7ayq

Nice touch posting here before the show.

We're so got damn listener friendly!

I'm in a hotel this week. Mizfan and I will try to record as usual. I'm just hoping the wifi here can keep up. Not sure there's a way to know without trying.

Very listener friendly! I'll try to watch the videos before you talk about them !!!

Quick announcement:

Tomorrow's episode will be the rhythm of former episodes.
    Next Saturday will be the first ever Listener Choice episode.
    May 25th we will take off to enjoy DON
    The week after the 25th we will bring coverage/reflection on all things DON.

Jim Ross says that calling DON will be his WrestleMania for this year.

Good conversation from another good show...to the point of the ppv and its cost and tbe desire to see aew try a more modern TV model, Ive been thinking a lot lately...who watches TV? Even if I had cable, I would be working on the nights it comes on...if I worked first shift, Id be sleeping.its a generation where tv ratings and buyrates are low...im with mizfan and would personally would love an entire promotion that can be livestreamed for a certain monthly fee...but might be hard to gain a wide enough audience and to compete with a company that owns all wrestling history...advertisor money must be important too as weve learned from 3 hr borefests every monday night...

Good thoughts on Pentegon being a candidate for world champion...interesting Jericho thoughts...personally, love to see him a top heel but maybe not champ...im with.you on hangman page...he's not ready. Hang Man could maybe be a more Ring of Honor champion. AEW need to stick with a more seasoned, credible wrestler...Omega would, at least, give the title credibility

I would like to see Cody as a heel champion...i think it will bring he and omega much needed competetion against each other...Also, Cody would have a lot of people gunning for him, that way...
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 1 Week Ago at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    hangman page...he's not ready. Hang Man could maybe be a more Ring of Honor champion.
    This.

Times 1,000,000.

You win the show, my friend.

Goddamn.

Been thinking ever since I read this: the universe might be fucked for this not being the case.

In our world, Marty is in Roh, maybe til fall? Who knows. That is the new rumor, and V.E. is now looking for a fourth member.

Meanwhile freakin' Adam Page has an article where he wants to be the face of AEW.

Who the fuck tried to prove he was a heavyweight at All In and all year?

Marty.

Who should be making the outrageous claim that he should be the face of AEW?

Marty.

Who has a rope and boots and should work for the wrestling company that looks like Gunsmoke or Bonanza without the interesting characters?

Adam Page.

You may have just unlocked a problem in our universe that needs to be rectified before all things spin out of control.
    Last edited by Mystic; 1 Week Ago at 07:17 AM.

The Brain
    Hopefully from your mouth to Scurll's ears, I do like the Hangman but I'd also like to see the Villain pull Page's fingers off his hand for looking to jump the line so. Some have contacted me to say Page could be champion because he's such a fresh face, but he's too fresh for me in 2019. Maybe down the line, but not now, and definitely not first.

Hangman wants to be face of the aew... I think he's more the bar wrestling kind of world champion.

He wants to be first AEW champ; I see him more doing the overly self aware about his shape thing he's been at...Matter of fact, I think hes just perfect for that overly self aware about his weight thing he's been chopping away at...dont know anybody else who'd I want to see doing that one...well, Janella or Ryan could probably be as good at it, but they should let Hang man have that one, for sure.

I think more than any of the rest of The Elite Hangman (and also Kenny to a degree) has suffered from not continuing to wrestle.

He is not on the same level as the other guys but when he originally said he wants to be champ I thought 'that's a stretch but I can buy that story if they do it right'. Four and a half months later that is a pipedream. This story he has had has been fun but it is not the story of a champ. Maybe one day he will be champ but not this year.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel

The Rockets have been bounced in the NBA playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years by the Warriors. Last year they thought they had them and one of their players got hurt. All year they've been on the record that they are coming for the Warriors. One of their players talked major shit (then did nothing in the series). This year the Warriors best player went down in the series and the Warriors still beat them.

All that to say, while I love seeing ambition and drive, it should be in increments you can manage. Nobody comes off well talking about lengths they damn sure can't reach right now, and worse so if you are already implicated as part of the Elite. I think how they are booking him is perfect. Shame him. Give him tough storylines and tougher opponents. That way the fan base can feel for him, rather than feeling he is riding coattails. Then, when he starts to achieve, you are on board with him.

Either he needs to keep taking lumps or, with Marty, he needs to turn on the Elite as the self-proclaimed faces of AEW. Even then, every time they think they've beat Cody and Kenny, they should be about ready to betray each other until they realize they're not done with the tier 1 yet.

I do think (of course) he could take off, but do what we did on our show: list everyone who is currently ahead of him then list everyone who is not but could be soon. This ain't talking season; this is work your ass off season.
    Last edited by Mystic; 1 Week Ago at 04:40 PM.

TNT is officially "back in the wrestling business!"

Weekly TV in fall. Additional streaming through B/R Live and PPV.

Says Tony Khan: "Wrestling fans have wanted--and needed--something different, authentic, and better for far too long. It's about a movement fueled by wrestling fans who have been underserved and perhaps even disappointed by what the industry has produced in recent years....WarnerMedia...is as committed as we are to making wrestling fans the one and only priority."
    Last edited by Mystic; 1 Week Ago at 09:37 AM.

I've seen the phrase 'sports-centric alternative to WWE' used, which is what plenty of people have been crying out for now for quite some time.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Indeed. That term has been pushed by both Tony Khan and Cody Rhodes for a while now. The statement that came out today seemed to double down on that, with a lot of mention about wins and losses mattering, focus on win/loss streaks, along with allowing wrestlers freedom to develop their personalities.

If they can follow through on that and they get an easily accessible broadcast here in the UK (I think plenty of us are hoping that the ITV thing will go beyond a strictly box office deal)... well, they'll have my attention.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Gonna start a "Real Top Ten" for AEW when Double or Nothing hits!

The Brain
    Preview of matches we may be talking about on tomorrow's show!

Pentagon Jr vs. PAC 4/18/19 TNT Extreme Wrestling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ly...ature=youtu.be

Tony Deppen vs. "No Legs" Dustin Thomas 4/5/19 GCW Joey Janela’s Spring Break 3 Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvB9j07f39k

El Lindaman vs. Kaz Hayashi 2/13/19 Wrestle-1
    https://rutube.ru/video/97041db98705...cff2f28010f96/

T-Hawk vs. CIMA 11/3/18 GWF
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxVeItSomE

Austin Aries vs. Neville, WWE Cruiserweight Championship 4/2/17 WWE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAc6ZBWzkvc

Episode will be out later. I am damn pleased with the amount of questions we received. Was a really fun celebration/conversation.

Also, we covered so much, but here's one more thing: for the LOVE OF GOD, don't let the storylines play out on Twitter. I don't respect the human beings who take Twitter too seriously. The last thing I want are the characters on AEW to be a reflection of them. No, this is not related to the fact that everytime I click on the main page, there are certain feuds in certain places playing out in "mean" tweets. Yes, it is related to that.

Edit: Fuck Pac if is he gone from AEW.

Meanwhile, this fella continues to teach us what it means to live your character, in a sports-centric, personality-driven league.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxm_AQTB...eo_watch_again
    Last edited by Mystic; 1 Week Ago at 07:58 PM.

Enjoyed this "poscos? (My best Penta impression.)

I, too, would love Penta to be a spoiler in the Jericho Omega match. The Penta I know doesn't allow Jericho to come out dressed like him at All In without getting a measure of revenge. Maybe he'll come out dressed as Jericho.

Agree that Omega is better than Mox as the first champion. I hope they make Mox earn it. I don't know how he fits in to AEW and am ok with not seeing him at all and would much rather that than for him to get any WWE stank on the product. Still, I think if they must bring him in, start with vignettes. It would really be TNA of them to thrust him into th title scene without fitting him into the world, correctly.

I agree with Miz fan's nuanced wishes for Marty and for Mystic's wish tp bring him in as a disturber. Maybe, one or more Elite members can have lasting fondness for him while the rest are at war with him. I think Marty would be a separate great from Jericho and should be kept apart from him...It's like having two great villains in a marvel movie. I'd much prefer see Marty than Ambrose...Someone should write a column about that.

Jericho bringing Marty the Moth in is music to my ears. Man, that'd be great TV.

As for Dario; I'd fucking love that. If I can't have Lucha Underground, bring me Dario. There's multiple things he could do rather than be GM of the brand. (Though, I would argue his storied GM like effort is different from any WWE GM) Still, he could run maybe one division and do it more from backstage alcohol drinking segments than from a rampway. Imagine the WCW cruiserweight Title with Cueto running it. Or he could be a manager like Mizfan said.

For which Title you'd like to see. I say you can't go wrong with the TV. While I also like Mystic's idea of one that fits their other platforms. Maybe a live-streaming champion? I don't know, but I think the TV title and MJF is the perfect way to go.

Good stuff. Excited for next week.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 6 Days Ago at 10:30 PM.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Fuck Pac if is he gone from AEW.
    Really complicated thoughts about this issue. Mainly just sad. Kind of glad it'll hopefully blow over before we do a show on it, it's been provoking my thoughts too much and not in a way that I enjoy.

Some good stuff in BTE. A tearjerker to start; MJF decides to murder Dustin as a solid for his best friend; AEW prove that, even in a less than ideal situation, they still tell a story better than some companies do on purpose.

Also love that, on the night WWE announces a new title, they answer a fan question about how many titles AEW will have and emphasize a select few, as the more titles you add the more they lack meaning.
    Last edited by Mystic; 4 Days Ago at 11:12 PM.

The Brain
    That MJF bit was pure, solid gold. The dude is an actual treasure.

Very pleased we are still getting PAC/Page in some form, though I admit I'm a bit confused now. I guess it either lends credence to the idea that visa issues were part of the problem, and/or they'll be more willing to do a different kind of finish. If PAC and AEW can't work it out long term so be it, but I hope they figure something out. PAC really is a great talent and I'd like to think there's a way to make good use of him that will make everyone happy.

I'm keeping my current feelings on Pac to myself. Not worth the time or energy of discussion at the moment. I think it's fun that Sammy G once seemed like a try hard babyface in some of these videos, and MJF was a complete dick. Now we see a video where Sammy's motives are in question and MJF is running Link-style missions for his best friend. This might be the no heel and faces claim. Not that people don't do good and bad things, but that you are seeing them as personalities, as characters, who act in the world for both their own interests and relational interests. It could be rather nuanced and, if the competition is too, we really may get a product that none of us have quite seen before.

So, am just catching up on the most recent All About all Elite as we stand on the precipices of this whole things actually coming to fruition and after your talk about Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley I wanted to jump here. Firstly I'll say that I am up to the bit where you spoke about him as the potential first ever champ so I apologise if I haven't got to you talking about him later in the show.

I will start off by saying that I am with you when it comes to the dangers of him being the first champ.

Dialogue around wrestling completely lacks nuance a lot of the time and I have enough trouble talking about the difference between NJPW's usage of Chris Jericho & the WWE's usage of part timers without someone declaring with unwavering certainty that they are exactly the same things and that it is hypocrisy for me to say that part timers in the WWE are a problem but Chris Jericho is ok in NJPW. I don't want to go into that argument here, I think you will both agree they are very different things because you aren't dogmatic and trying to make everything fit your preconstructed narrative but the point is that people are waiting to pounce on anything they can to tear down non-WWE upstarts. I don't know what motivates them but if Dean Amborse/Jon Moxley becomes the first champion it doesn't matter one bit how different he is, their narrative will be that AEW are just a bunch of indy spot monkeys and WWE rejects and that narrative will be everywhere.

That said Dean Ambrose has been my favourite WWE character since I came back to wrestling in 2013 and I wanted to speak up about some of the things you guys said about him. Firstly you brought up the Stone Cold podcast and implied you felt it was an failure on Dean's part. I've watched that podcast a couple of times now and I remain staunch in my assessment that the problem with that podcast were squarely in Stone Cold and the producers court. Firstly Stone Cold asked a number of questions of Dean about his broken childhood and the wild life he lived in the indies, people who know Dean's story know the answers to these questions when elaborated on quickly verge beyond the PG territory that the WWE forces its stars to keep to. In particular Stone Cold trying to push Dean to talk about doing party drugs felt extremely unprofessional and I absolutely sympathise with Dean shutting down to the interview at that point.

Secondly for Stone Cold, a former World Champ to publicly blast the current WWE Champion the way he did, telling him he wasn't pushing the envelope enough and that he was resting on his laurels and was in his safe zone was beyond the pale. For Steve Austin to tare strips off Dean publicly like that was just ridiculous especially given that Austin is as aware as anyone how tightly the WWE is controlled creatively now. Like it or not Dean was someone who has to operate in that environment he could just as much jump the table and start laying into Austin as he could do the things that Austin was publicly commanding him to do.

Furthermore to say that he was 'coasting' or 'in a safe zone' when multiple years running he had been the most compelling character to a lot of the audience and also been the most active wrestling in the entire company is ludicrous but because it is coming from a man as reverently held as Austin it becomes an accepted narrative well Austin said it just as much as it is an accepted narrative that Lex Lugger was useless (to take one of your favourites).

It has since come out that he WAS BEING FED LINES BY CREATIVE TO PUSH DEAN'S BUTTONS. This was a company that put their champion, the guy that had chosen on an interview platform and then fed lines to the interviewer to intentionally strip him down.

Given those circumstances I just cannot see how Dean was at fault for how the podcast turned out. He did his best to work with a hostile interviewer but it was hardly his fault when he was on the receiving end of such unprofessionalism.

Wow, I went on about that interview a lot longer than I thought I would but is something I have remained very frustrated with as I felt it was when the narrative about Dean changed within the fan base. Crazy how different our perceptions of it can be. Onto other bits, hopefully I can be a bit more concise with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed to me like you guys were saying that Dean was 'lazy' & 'lacked character' during his WWE run however in my mind there are few people on that roster who had a more fleshed out character and who did more for the company at that time. Just the pure facts show that two years running: 2015 & 2016 he had more matches than anyone else on the roster and at one point was even main eventing both the Raw and Smackdown house shows, as he said in this really cool little promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvYhbFx3Lo he became the mechanic of the company, the go to man, how you can call that lazy is beyond me.

Secondly though in relation to his character because ultimately that is something that matters a lot more, while you may not have found his character compelling it was in my mind a very complex and fleshed out creation. I'm not going to go too in depth here about who he was but if you want to see the most nerdy thing I have written here is a column I did with Plan on Dean: https://lordsofpain.net/sir-sams-cou...o-misanthrope/

This character was used to tell some incredible stories opposite Brock Lesnar, Bray Wyatt, Triple H, The Miz, AJ Styles and most notably opposite Seth Rollins where they created one of the most complex character dynamics and stories I have seen at least in the WWE. All of those were developing new nuances to his character and I found them all compelling because of how they showed new sides of Dean's character.

While I could wax lyric about it for paragraph after paragraph (and god knows I have in the past) what I wanted to get to is that the biggest asset Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley could bring to AEW is his capacity for story telling. In my mind he would be the opposite side of the same coin to Cody, Dean/Jon is a guy who always finds a way to develop his character through his matches and because his character is so extreme in its world view it reveals things about the character opposite him too. Dean also has a great way of letting the stories inform the matches he has which is something that I feel AEW needs to really nail.

Anyway this went on far longer than I expected it to and I hope it wasn't too ranty. Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into the AEW show, I can't wait to hear your take on Double or Nothing once all is said and done.
    Last edited by SirSam; 13 Hours Ago at 09:17 AM.
    SIR SAM'S COURT
    @Sir_Samuel