Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Brain

All About All Elite

A thread for all things from the new show put out by myself and Shane, All About All Elite, covering everything we can think of about the most exciting potential wrestling promotion in a long time.

So the Young Bucks/Lucha Bros contract presentation was completely tag-team oriented. Bucks thanked them for keeping tag team wrestling relevant and showing that tag team wrestling can main event a show. They then called the Lucha Bros the second greatest tag team, which makes me wonder if we might get Bucks vs. Lucha Bros at Double or Nothing.

The Brain
    I'd be alright with that. I didn't really like their match in The Crash but I think they have a great one in them.

Cult broke the news that the Lucha Bros are NOT exclusive to AEW, which is interesting. I'm good with it overall because they are doing great work in MLW, Impact, AAA, CMLL, and LU (season 5, please!), as well as other places. It does make me worry they might not invest in them long term though. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Agreed. I didn't like their match either but hope they would grow it up a little bit for DoN.

The deal that Cult laid out makes me think they will likely have some lovely contract offers in a year or so, with WWE, AEW, and others putting down decent numbers. Just hope at least one of them doesn't go to WWE.*

*That one is Pentagon Dark El Zero 0M Jr.

Mizfan and I are in the process of gaining the credentials to post our shows on the main page, but, until then, here is episode 2 of All About All Elite.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsof...-2--cero-miedo

Plus, an announcement: Beginning this Saturday, February 9th, our shows will become MLW Fusion: The Legacy Series + All About All Elite. Weekly we will bring you coverage of one episode of MLW Fusion, from episode 1 all the way through episode 42! We will then, as always, bring you the latest in the runup to Double or Nothing! While folks are (rightly) excited about the potential platform and TV deal for AEW, we want to remind you (and us!) that, so often, these big platform companies develop, in part, because of shows doing great things on smaller platforms. Whether it's WWF and who they borrowed and stole from or WCW/WWF with ECW and WCW with NJPW, many times what we want to see on the big platform, ideas and wrestlers, are already alive and kickin' on smaller platforms. Cody wants an AEW with fresh talent? MLW is a show with fresh talent. Cody wants AEW to, at times, call back to early 90's WCW? MLW already does that. Listen as we break down what is developing now in AEW, while looking back at 42 weeks of a company who, on a smaller scale, was already doing what excites us about AEW.

This coming Saturday, we cover the AEW ticket rally party, plus episode 1 of MLW Fusion!

We're hoping to get our shows posted on the MP soon, but here is episode 4 of All About All Elite + MLW Fusion: TLS (Ep. 2)

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsof...iends-are-dead

We talk about what makes AEW legit, the NWA world title showdown between Nick Aldis and Marty Scurll, plus the second episode of MLW Fusion, including Col Rob Parker and Shane Strickland vs. Jimmy Havoc.

Another episode of All About All Elite has dropped.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsof...-6--carpe-diem

Going to keep posting these here at least until we get access to the MP. This is a particularly interesting episode, so well titled by mizfan the brain.

The Art of Embarrassment

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsof...-embarrassment

The Brain
    Hope people are listening and enjoying these at least half as much as we are enjoying making them!

Another week, and more Elite. Seriously, did anyone even watch Lucha Underground?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lordsof...ha-underground

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Hope people are listening and enjoying these at least half as much as we are enjoying making them!
    I am!

The Brain
    God bless you and everyone else who has let us know they're listening!

Blessings sent up to the most high and AEW's patron saint, American Dream Dusty Rhodes.

Been keeping up with this...Keep it going

The Brain
    Coming up on the next episode, we're talking Jim Ross, Dustin Rhodes, Marty Scurll, Ace Romero, Tom Lawlor and Fenix in MLW, and much more!

From listening to your show, I learned the title will be the size of the mid-south NA Title. That was huge. Just hope it has an epic design. I think that could be a step in a good direction for them. I also heard possible keeping up with win-loss records..im not sure if this has been done yet. I'd love the idea of showing their wins and losses when they wrestler. Such a simple concept but it could really add to the story of the matches.

It's weird. I usually don't care about numbers, but I think I could *potentially* nerd out on the top ten, the wins-losses, etc. Cody has hinted at it being next level, and sports demonstrate how much they can keep up with these days. As long as it's not in place of storytelling and character development, I'd love for them to have that knowledge that all MJF's losses have come by submission, or there is a certain style he might be weak to, or so-and-so has an impressive record in matches that go 12 minutes or less, but struggles in longer matches. More stuff probably. So long as it's not in place of the things I mentioned above.

I love the attention to the titles. As a child, the design of the belt said as much to me as anything. The big gold belt, the eagled title, the color changes to the IC title.

I think the biggest reason I give potential to the wins-losses is because Cody is talking about it. He is my only hope for this to work.

This week on Being the Elite he addressed MJF in the first 3:08 and he did it with the Rocky speech that I love. There are a million lovely things I want to rant about, but I will save it for the show this coming week.

Last edited by Mystic; 04-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.

I think if done like you said, it would only add to their characters, like Marty's cruiserweight complex when he wrestled Okada

The Brain
    Even if it's as simple as "guy doesn't get a title shot because he just lost a big match even though he's a big name", that alone will make me happy. If they really give as much attention to detail as Shane was speculating, dang, that could be pretty interesting.

If you combine top-of-the-line statistics with top-of-the-line storytelling and character development, you will make magic. The trick is not choosing one over the other.

If I'm rising and I lose to some guy or gal, I know damn well who cost me my moment. And, if I'm a manager, and I know my client doesn't do well against submissions, and I'm trying to push them to a title match, I know the folks I'm avoiding on the roster if possible.

I cannot see anything but good coming from giving more meaning to the climax of all wrestling stories, the in ring action. What I like about the win-loss thing is it's soooo simple but hasn't been done yet and has the ability to be affective. It would probably give accountability to the booking, too, since they cant just do uneven pushes and throw away matches without it having an affect.

The top ten could be cool, but I don't know if that's just my nostalgia talking for I long to see Jim Ross deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    I cannot see anything but good coming from giving more meaning to the climax of all wrestling stories, the in ring action. What I like about the win-loss thing is it's soooo simple but hasn't been done yet and has the ability to be affective. It would probably give accountability to the booking, too, since they cant just do uneven pushes and throw away matches without it having an affect.

The top ten could be cool, but I don't know if that's just my nostalgia talking for I long to see Jim Ross deliver it.
    I've never thought about this before, but that's an excellent point. It also sets up the potential for a great trap. I don't intend to watch them make a big deal of this in one angle and it have no bearing on anything else that goes on.

Whether it works well or not, here is an amazing thing for this moment in time: it is a fact and is on public record that the context that makes you nostalgic of the top 10 (early 90's WCW) is the context that makes me nostalgic for the top 10...is the context that makes Cody Rhodes nostalgic for a top 10.

With Khan and the Bucks and Kenny and what wrestling is today, maybe it won't matter or help, but the fact is, deep-deep-down, we have a fellow early 90's WCW fan partially in charge of a promotion spending millions and millions of dollars.

I'm not hopeful about a lot of AEW but the part that I am hopeful about...I'm reallllllllllly hopeful about.

The Brain
    I'm all about accountability in booking and pushes. I've loved putting together the "Real Top 10" for MLW Fusion, in part because it's helped me to question why some wrestlers are held in esteem even though they seem to lose every time we see them! A big name means nothing if you can't get the job done!

Real Top 10 is money!

Love it.

Crooked MLW execs needs to get their shit together.

The Brain
    Watch them slap Pentagon on as #2 next month whether he wins any singles matches or not, just because it's Penta. I love Penta but you lose to the champ, you go to the back of the line!

You might be right. Maybe it will be stopped now that he's a Lucha Bro.

Next Saturday, we are covering G1 Supercard. Only thing I will say in advance: a pregame and two matches in, and I'm currently LOVING THIS SHIT.

Wink

Isn't Ibushi better than Omega?

A few matches won't get the review they deserve because this tired me out.

But, this: Okada is a fuckin' GOAT.

The Brain
    Looking forward to recording this episode, we're gonna have some great conversations.

Most hyped I've been in a LONG TIME.

No idea what might be said this coming Saturday!

What did you think of the most recent BTE?
    For me it was real rough, just hasn't felt like they've really been giving it a whole lot of energy lately. I'm just dying to see them back in the ring honestly, especially Omega and Cody, I miss their work a lot.

I was on campus when it came out, so I haven't had time to *really* watch it, but I skimmed through to see what looked interesting. Not much. I do find it interesting that Brandi and MJF agreed on something and Cody is berating that dude that nobody likes even though he seemingly gave MJF a Rocky Balboa pass.

Also, even bigger, a rumor just broke that we are going to see AEW announced for TNT or TBS next month. *If* this comes to pass, the nostalgia is going to hit me like something I never anticipated in this world.

Isn't the angle that Cody and Brandi are playing mind games with MJF, because Cody overheard his scheming?

Likely so. I just don't know if angles overlap or are self-contained. Even if Cody is playing mind games, the relationship isn't full-on destroyed until it is, meanwhile he's outright treating the one dude (who nobody likes) in a way that would be fitting for MJF. No matter where they go with the angle, I will always believe Cody loved MJF like a son.

lol, I hate that guy, too

I HATE that guy

The Brain
    If your favorite son misbehaves you might punish him, but you'll still love him. If you meet some strange insufferable Justin Bieber looking kid who thinks he's hot shit, you might just have to berate him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    If your favorite son misbehaves you might punish him, but you'll still love him. If you meet some strange insufferable Justin Bieber looking kid who thinks he's hot shit, you might just have to berate him!!!
    This.

Haven't seen Cody this hot since he told a former-writer-revealed-to-be-scam-artist to stay away from All In.

So I listened to the review you guys had for the G1 Supercard and first of all as a whole I really enjoyed it however I wanted to jump in here because my name did get called out by Mystic.

I'm not personally pissed off or anything, we can disagree and still respect one anothers opinion (how depressing is it that you have to say shit like that these days) I know you weren't specifically targeting me but more a broader opinion that has been doing the rounds that you disagree with and my most recent column touched upon. However as there were some things said and I was named I wanted to jump here to defend my opinion and maybe enjoy a bit of discussion.

Firstly I thought I'd put my piece here so it is clear what we are talking about, it was one of the four takeaways I penned from Mania weekend.

NJPW Needs to Run From ROH
    Even though it was Wrestlemania weekend, for me the most anticipated card of the weekend was the New Japan and Ring of Honor G1 Super Card from Madison Square Garden. Being the first non-WWE wrestling show at the most famous arena in the world in over fifty years it was a truly historic event for both NJPW and ROH. However despite the auspicious setting there could not have been a clearer distinction between what each company brought to the table, what they wanted to offer fans and where they are taking the art of pro wrestling.

While New Japan used the historic night to showcase the likes of Tetsuya Naito and Kota Ibushi in ring and hit the climax of Kazuchika Okada’s redemption story, Ring of Honor decided to celebrate the date by debuting The Beautiful People, an act that was only marginally popular ten years ago, spoil the swansong of two Japanese legends for cheap ‘heel heat’ that has no place in 2019 and put on a worked shoot crowd invasion to introduce Enzo and Cass, sorry nZo and caZXL, to their tag team division.

Yes it is true that NJPW is locked in a commercial contract with ROH and yes it is true that without Sinclair Broadcasting’s lawyers neither ROH or NJPW would have got into MSG. However Ring of Honor has shown on this show that it is a company floundering creatively and that it is a company that has a completely different vision for pro wrestling to New Japan.

As a New Japan fan I pay to watch because they take the art of pro wrestling seriously; their matches are incredibly athletic and well put together, their creative process is well thought out, has long term vision and respects the people it is telling the story too. ROH may have once been similar but on the biggest night in the company’s history they decided to use their platform to show off a sensationalist crash TV direction that would make Vinny Russo proud.

If this is the bait they are putting out there to grab new viewers I am not biting and if this is the line in the sand pointing to where the company is headed then New Japan needs to get away from that company before they are caught in the collateral damage ROH is doing to itself.
    So I believe your problem was with people such as myself contributing to a bit of a ROH negativity pile on while not acknowledging the good things they did do and not being a fan of their weekly show.

Firstly I will concede that my own opinion I put forward in the column does lack nuance. The idea of the column itself was to do a few quick takeaways and so it doesn't go into detail and mention that I did very much enjoyed the Roosh & Dalton Castle angle, I liked the women's match before the ending, found the hardcore match a whole lot of fun and thought the ladder match was really good even though it had the wrong winner. Of course this is a failure of my own writing and on reflection could probably have been rectified with just one sentence saying "while they did some good stuff such as the ladder match and introduction of Roosh to the roster..... blah blah blah"

However I stand by my broader opinion as the problem is that for me all of that good stuff they did was completely overshadowed by the bad taste that was left in my mouth with the usage of such a historic stage to debut The Beautiful People in the way the did, the ridiculous worked shoot angle with Enzo & Cass & to a lesser extent the ending of the Honour Rumble. I think you guy actually agree that most of that stuff was silly but you were able to look past it whereas for me the negative aspects represented the genesis of a creative direction that ROH has decided to go in that is completely opposed to the creative direction of NJPW.

Honestly I don't care a lot about ROH by itself, I only watch them when they have joint shows with NJPW, they can go full Vinny Russo and I wouldn't care except that a show I do watch and very much enjoy is currently tied to a company that seems to be moving in a completely opposite direction to them and has adopted a creative approach that I personally do not care much for. The title of this part of the article is 'NJPW needs to run from ROH' and I guess I can't say that I'm not slandering ROH however what I am trying to get at more is that in the show they came off as two very different organisations and that NJPW should be looking for ways to remove itself from that partnership as it is no longer as mutually beneficial as it once was.

Yes this show wouldn't have been possible without ROH (which I do say) and its very possible that NJPW wouldn't have grown so much in the west without ROH however they no longer need them and are possibly now being weighed down by them. Once again this isn't something I mentioned in my column so fair enough, that is on me.

Overall outside of those three glaring problems it was the show of the weekend for me and is a true achievement for them to sell out MSG.

On a completely different topic I'd love to suggest a couple of Kenny Omega matches or hear about your journey discovering Omega. I'm not one for saying someone is 'the best wrestler in the world' definitively because it is so subjective and there are so many different criteria that could change the answer however I would certainly say he is 'one of the best in the world'.

I would say that Mizfan's characterisation of him being 110% of everything is very accurate, the way he moves around the ring has such lightning quickness to it and his moves have incredible snap to them which I love. He also exagerates his bums and I would be cofortable saying no one else I've seen bumps quite like him. If you compare him to Ibushi, they do have a lot of similarities and he lacks the grace and the effortless flow of Ibushi (or Okada for that matter) I would say makes up for it in pure athleticism. I think he is also better at conveying story of the match through his expressions than Ibushi.

Omega also has a very cinematic vision for how matches should play out and as Mizfan said he has a propensity for drama bordering on melodrama which I love but is a matter of taste. As an example of this cinematic storytelling and drama, when he won the G1 in 2016 he pulled out the finishing moves of the previous leaders of The Bullet Club as well as Ibushi before hitting his own as a way of simultaneously paying tribute to the people that got him to the point of winning such a prestigious prize but also showing how he had surpassed them. Another smaller example in a match you are familiar with, the Pentagon one, is that he hit the One Winged Angle using left arm because Pentagon had targeted his right arm, the arm he usually uses.

If I could recommend two matches with him in it that aren't too long and show what he has become I would chose:
    - Omega v Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 11. This was the first match I saw of his and is the one I suggest to anyone who hasn't seen him before. I think the two have had better matches afterwards but this is the starting point for them and in my money the best jumping in point. If you enjoy it I would highly recommend the other three matches in their series, particularly two and four however they are quite long.
    - Omega v Naito, G1 Final 2017. As good as his chemistry with Okada is he may have better chemistry with Naito. This is just a damn fun match.

Of course you are welcome not to watch these but I just thought I'd jump in as someone who really enjoys Omega's work.

Wow, that ended up being quite a bit longer than I thought it would be.

Let me know what you think though.