Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    A little feedback time!

I totally agree with your points about the Dark Order, the promos are nicely entertaining, but the lights out is getting a bit tired (and take too long to set up). I feel like AEW are trying something different with them and they failed. Aren't they allowed to make mistakes, I think they are!
    It's also the same thing with the librarians, they are trying something, and it looks like it's failing... There was a lot of shushing in that segment, but many wrestlers try to silence the crowd before landing a hard hitting chop to the chest... I feel like Bates and Avalon are still trying to do their best with a gimmick that they aren't owning at the moment. But that's just my feelings, and how I felt it on the night. I can be totally wrong.

Overall, I didn't really appreciate the few rants about WWE. No idea why it bothered me this time. I decided to stick with AAAE because it was all about something else than WWE. I felt judged, as a fan, for still sticking with WWE and I am fairly certain this wasn't the intention.

About the Heyman/Bischoff/McMahon... WWE are doing the same thing as AEW: they are trying things and most of them fail. The McMahon royalty came out late December to address the critiques from the fans and they claimed to want change. They are trying, I honestly believe it, and stuff don't work. They had Sami Zayn sit on an electric chair and answer questions straights from the crowd (and the people were so genuinely bad that they weren't planted there). They tried to dim the lights in the 3rd hour and make it more edgy, with black and white graphics. They tried and failed. Bringing back those 2 men is another try. I am patient enough to give them time to see if things change.

I watch wrestling in a closed circle, either with my Mom or with my bestie. I am the one bringing new things to the table, not them. If I only watch WWE, they only watch WWE. See, I don't seek out new wrestling out of nowhere, if someone isn't there to show it to me, I won't be watching (Well that changed now, but from 2003 to April 2019, I wouldn't google wrestlers or events or promotions or else). WWE is still the most accessible wrestling to watch on tv, I am that old that I still have cable and watch my wrestling on it. I haven't see anything regarding AEW tv deal in Canada, so I'm still not sure if I'll be able to watch it legally or not.

AEW has claimed, from the start, that they were inclusive, to all and for all, that for me includes comedy wrestling as well. The 2 shows AEW have produced yet have no real continuity through the show (WWE kinda does, sometimes), each match can be taken separately and be enjoyed fully on it's own. They put forward a diverse wrestling, that includes comedy, and Joshi, and Hardcore, and Special Guest, and Tag matches, and gimmick matches, and Short/Squash matches, etc. There is something for everyone (that should be on their logo!). Did I like Nakazawa ? Not really no, but pouring oil on himself and escaping a hold is "believable". The underwear stuff, not for me... But hey, if others enjoy it, who am I to tell them they are wrong! I heard someone on a podcast say I'd rather watch a hot and cold show rather than a lukewarm show. I think that's exactly what AEW is aiming at, and for me it works.

MJF is pure gold. You had a great analysis of his character and I love Mizfan's passion for him. Regarding MJF's relation to Cody, MJF comes across as very self-centred and of course he would do anything to be on top. Aligning with Cody is his strategy for the moment, and I can accept that. Please note that I don't know much about his character beside AEW world. On the other hand, Cody is getting older and probably sees a younger version of himself in MJF and wants to be his mentor. Can't wait to see what is next for him.

Regarding the use of social media to further storylines... I would use it as part of a character rather than something everyone does. At the moment Drake Maverick is posting the most hilarious videos of his honeymoon with the WWE 24/7 championship. He's been using Twitter to campaign for his desire to be champion before that and it is all very well done. It also depends on the demographic you are aiming at in the end, Youtube is great, but Twitter gives it a more immediate feel.

Darby Allin is a gem, plain and simple. He and Cody told the best story I have seen in like forever. Allin has a way to bring you in and never let you go. And well yes, it was a REALLY weird way to end the match. Allin deserved something more, he deserved to shine after the match but Spears had other plans. I have been a Tye Dillinger fan since the first year he entered the Royal Rumble with WWE. He connected with me at a time where I had no favorite wrestler. Why? I don't know, I liked his move set, liked his persona. I saw him live a few times, and looking at that crowd react to him was really cool. I was in Ottawa last year, not a great wrestling city by any means, and when the first chord of his entrance played, I yelled FUCK YEAH (got big eyes from the dad and his 2 kids in front of me) and I was standing up, throwing 10s into the air. Everyone around me was WTF is going on, who is this guy. So no, he wasn't that over with the crowd, I don't know the meaning of 10 for him (beside being 10/10 and perfect). Is he the best wrestler I ever saw, clearly not... but still, I connected with him, he was fun, he worked hard, he was never given everything easily, and that was enough for me. That's just my personal take on that, and I can accept that others don't feel the same way toward him.

I am excited for Fight for the Fallen!

The Brain
    Good alternate take on Spears, it's worth remembering that there are plenty of fans who like him for what he is and not just for his gimmick or chant. I still want to see more from him but I'm trying to keep an open mind (not always easy when you get set into a narrative!).

I honestly don't remember what we said specifically about WWE. I do try to be respectful of anyone's fandom, the last thing I want is to ruin someone's good time when they are genuinely enjoying themselves. There are things about WWE that get under my skin but everyone has their own perspective, their likes and dislikes! It's a good point that AEW has yet to do one of our favorite things in wrestling, and that's create a story-thread that goes through the night. I hope that'll come with TV, it's one of the best storytelling tools available.

Love the love for MJF and Darby Allin, they really are the future of wrestling I think.

Appreciate the long feed as always, Cathe!

Nick Aldis is shrewd, backing Marty onto his heels. Excited to see what the decision will be. Would love to live in a moment where Marty Scurll and Alex Shelley are the challengers for the world titles.

The Brain
    That would really be something. What a strange but fun time to be a wrestling fan.

Maybe there are inside ball reasons for why AEW is better off alone, but I can't help but think how crazy good it could be right now if they were working with NWA, Roh, NJPW, etc.

FFTF coming up. It will be hard to read much big picture from it, as far as approach, as I think someone said it would be more serious because of the gun violence angle. So I don't know how much it represents things to come. I'm interested in the Jericho promo. I hope they don't use him as a stand in for the fans who oppose some of AEW's approaches. Other than that, it's just nice that they are having SOME STORY, SOME PROMO, built in. If Jericho finds a way to make Hangman hot and All Out work and/or he becomes a very successful first world champion, I think we are talking about legacy stuff and moving up in the greatest of all time list.

As for the official card, it went from my least interesting to a very compelling card: DO NOT SLEEP ON LB VS. SCU. I'm not seeing anyone talking about that, but that one could steal the show.

Dustin and Cody put some metaphorical foots in the YB on the latest R2. I'd like to see them beat the shit out of the Bucks at this point.

One more thing that's not being talked about enough that I've had my eye on for some time. WWE and AEW are both bidding on LAX. If you want to have the greatest tag team division (and have personalities and presence and not just flippy shit and huggy shit) you need to win bidding wars for guys like LAX. Got my eye on that one.

The Brain
    My dream is for all promotions to be able to share talent and put them to their best use... farfetched and we are only getting farther from it as exclusive contracts come back in vogue, but that's my dream!

I'm also really pleased there's a Jericho promo on the show. So much of the first two shows was continuous wrestling, which I know some people prefer but I want it to be broken up just a bit more. I've no doubt Jericho will add something of value, but can he create buzz around the Hangman where there currently is none? That's a heavy test indeed.

I'm looking forward to LB/SCU but my concern is it'll continue in the vein of the last few Lucha Bros matches, which are impressive and fun but not as compelling to me as other styles. But I'll be watching with interest to see what we can see. The six man tag with MJF and Shawn Spears on the same team may be my most anticipated match, I'm dying to see how MJF reacts in real time to whatever may happen.

LAX does feel like they would fit in well with AEW, especially with the Konnan/AAA connection already in place. I'd love to see them come in with Konnan but shed some of the LAX trappings, I think they can hit an even higher level than they have before.

Agreed on Jericho mixing up the show a little bit. Will be good for them.

LAX and LB had some real good stuff in Impact, but that included Konnan.

I just ordered one month of Honor Club, so I can see Marty's decision to Nick, who ends up facing Nick at Summer Supercard, and to see Shelley challenge for the Roh title at Summer Supercard.

I'm guessing I will end up disappointed on all 3 accounts.

Though it could be cool to see PCO or Brody challenge Nick (something new and they would have won the Crockett Cup and challenged for the NWA title in the same year), I wish they had just gone straight Aldis-Scurll 2. Maybe even tried a different kind of match. Wonder if he will pick a member or himself to face Nick. If he picked himself, I wonder if we are in a slow burn to his losing his group.

Then, of course, Shelley gets the winner of next weekend's match between Taven and Jay Lethal. Shelley match will be in Toronto during SummerSlam weekend. He should do 'em so good they forget about Kawhi Leonard. Least that's what I'd say.

Trying to watch Honor Club right now, but Ring of Honor's aesthetic depresses me. Cold and makes me feel like I'm the only one watching it.

Oesprey and Scurll doing back and forth stuff getting back and forth chants.

If I was a heel I'd scream Make up your minds!

Then in promo I'd lecture them that I don't want to be 50% of a decision you cannot make. Either choose me or keep my name out of your mouths!

Feel like I called it with the Darby response, plus his lack of respect for the Perfcect 10 name. Gold.

https://lordsofpain.net/darby-allin-...er-head-shawn/
    Last edited by Mystic; 07-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.

The Brain
    Hope we get a chance to talk more about the NWA stuff on air. I've got some sense of what they're up to but I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the latest stuff play out. I do think Scurll has to lose his group at some point, his departure date may have been extended but ou've got to believe he's still going.

I really wish only the best for Shelley. I hope he reminds those cold ass fans of exactly who he is.

That's a perfect modern heel waiting to happen right there... something MJF might say, perhaps, and that's a great thing.

Definitely dig Darby's response. Elevates my interest in that six man tag even more. It's all about the follow up!

NWA
    NWA
    4 days ago (edited)
    QUESTION OF THE DAY | If you were Marty Scurll... what would your decision be?

nate grey
    nate grey
    4 days ago
    Go to AEW.

NWA
    NWA
    4 days ago
    @nate grey maybe watch the video before answering?

(lol)

NWA needs to embrace AEW. Cody said after FFtF that he wanted to do MORE as NWA champion but politics didn't allow it.

The Brain
    Nate Grey has the right idea in my opinion... I think there's richer potential for NWA to ally with AEW than with ROH.

I agree. Never going to pretend there might not be behind the scenes issues that would change my way of thinking, but it just feels so damn obvious.

holy god. Just started ep. 1 of Road to All Out and I just saw maybe a top 5 classic sighting, up there with a raised ramp: Tony Schiavone and a control center.

CLASSIC. God, that's good. Good on them.

Edit: HOLY SHIT. Hangman Page just gave me the promo I've been begging for.

Edit 2: Very nice conversation (not interview) with JR and Spears. We are back to DON heat. AND SPEARS BROUGHT A MENTOR............................................ .................................................. ....!

Edit 3: If you didn't know wrestling, and I played a trick on you, and showed you this AEW video as one promotion, WWE as another, IMPACT, MLW, and Being the Elite. You might tell me that the two "wrestling promotions" that seem the most in opposition of each other are this video (AEW) and Being the Elite.

This video is an A+, but there's about 1/4 to 1/3 of the roster that I couldn't see in a video like this.

Oh well. That wasn't like NWA/WCW. It sorta was NWA/WCW.

Edit 4: Am I the only one who wants to see Dustin get into righteous anger for Cody and go face to face with the fella that Spears brought out? Or. Am I the only one who wants a War Games match with Cody, Dustin, MJF, and Darby Allin on one team?

Lord

have

mercy.

Last edited by Mystic; 07-17-2019 at 09:40 PM.

The Brain
    Just reading that post is getting me hyped for AEW all over again!! I gotta check out that video. That War Games match sounds sublime. Trying to think of who they'd oppose... Spears obviously, since he has heat with all four of the other guys, but who else? AEW needs more jerks creating grudges. I'll say one thing for Spears, at least he did something that made a statement and established what he's willing to do.

I like that comment for Spears. Got to go get yours one way or another.

Tully signed a multi-show deal, so maybe it will be limited, but if they want to give longterm legs to this (and to Cody while he's outside the title picture), I think I would ultimately make this about Tully, rather than Spears. Maybe Spears being a first of many corrupted against Cody. Done right it could be a non-gimmicky, non-sucky version of Hogan vs. Sullivan.

CM Punk appearing at Starrcast, so there will likely be no end to the rumors through All Out and maybe beyond.

Things are moving. We must be approaching a PPV that costs money. :-)

Feel like neither NWA nor Roh is ready for primetime.

Pretty sure Scurll was to make his decision about the NWA title at Manhattan Mayhem, yet we're almost three days removed and I can't find it. Don't know if they did it away from arena and it will air on NWA or they haven't done it, but you can't announce something and then make it outside finding.

Meanwhile, Shelley returns with no build to challenge for the world title and, in his first match back, a tag match against Taven, he is wrestling Taven in Taven's hometown. Don't know if this impacted the crowd. Just reading what a reviewer stated.

Still hoping Summer Supercard will be worth the watch, but any confidence I have is with the performers rather than the companies.

I have listened to the latest show and enjoyed the passion for the things liked and disliked. I have things I enjoy and things not so much, as well. But overall I think they're still new and Im happy with them.

Seems the most legitimate shared gripe amongst everone in the universe is the length of the matches and overly done big spots. While Cody wants everyone to do as much as they want, I think the shows could use some producers to protect big moves so that they're not overdone and to help gear the wrestlers in being confident enough in the stories they're telling in the ring so that they don't overdo it.

You guys have been consistent on calling out Brandi and Cody's incosistency...I think as a viewer, I was put off most by that...The biggest thing Im hoping for is structure for how they do their baby faces and heels. On one hand, I dont have a problem with Cody playing a sort of heel role in a match with Darby, but coming out and doing over the top heel antics here and baby face there doesnt work for me.

One good point made by you guys was this show didnt have the mega three main events. I think this did make the length worse.

Overall, I liked the fight for the fallen, just thought it needed to be cut down to really be better...One thing I disagree with people on is Hang man not doing anything to look better for the main event he's approaching...I did come off more impressed with him and the way he keeps selling that leg.

Another good show. Was pleased to see it on the main page...lookin' fwd to some WWF legacy!
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 07-24-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks for the feedback.

We are in a bit of an uncertain period. We won't be airing again until we cover All Out. I won't predict the future for us one way or the other. Mizfan is on vacation, and I will soon be moving, starting a new job, and figuring out quite a bit. I'm hoping around September we will have firmed up what is going to happen going forward.

Thanks for all the support. It's time AEW stand on their own feet for a bit anyway. :-)

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    One thing I disagree with people on is Hang man not doing anything to look better for the main event he's approaching...I did come off more impressed with him and the way he keeps selling that leg.
    Ah, it just killed me that he took a break from selling the leg to do a moonsault to the floor... the curse of modern wrestling, I guess. I liked the promo he cut on Road To All Out a lot more than any of his other stuff in AEW so far.

Excited for September to see what we can do next!

Button and I got to chatting last night after R2AO 3 dropped.

1. If they turn MJF on Cody this soon they can all get fucked. (Mystic's feelings.)

2. It may be farfetched, but I would love to see Tully form a stable to go against Cody longterm. Turn Spears into the first guy but not the main guy. Who would I like to see as the main guy? Nick Aldis. Maybe NWA wouldn't go for it, but it would be exactly a year after All In and it's one of the great rivalries in twenty-plus years. Tully should really, over time, bring accusations against Cody, Dusty, their legacy, and what they do (and who they impact) to get where they are. Who else could identify with that more than Nick? It could also open up some AMAZING programs. Nick-Cody; Marty vs. any and all of them; Nick-Marty vs. Cody-MJF; Marty-MJF. I know NWA is wanting to start their own show (be it on YT or elsewhere). What better way to highlight the NWA title than to work with an actual promotion that's not buried under a rock. Speaking of. One thing doesn't make sense about the NWA-Roh split. It's supposedly on good terms, but it caused the already-planned Nick-Marty match to disappear like it was never booked. So what happened? What's the urgency? Why couldn't the match take place? Like I said, this is probably farfetched, but the only drawback to the NWA working with AEW is that the NWA title division might shame the AEW title.

Alas. However it goes, they better fuckin' not turn MJF this early. This hatred of Cody, from Tully and Spears, could potentially get at something that is wrong in the Rhodes DNA (shown too much already by Cody and Brandi). Those are the kinds of angles that move digits. When even the one you like is legit called on the carpet, not in some cheap heat way, but in something buried deep in their character, you got something. Tully could be one of those guys. Lord knows what he could tell us (or claim) about Dusty. Spears was a friend of Cody's but thought it better to wrap a chair around his head. We can shit on Spears, but what kind of friendship is that easily thrown away? The strange thing is the truest character witness for Cody (other than Dustin, but that is a new development) might be MJF, and that witness does as much damage as it does good. I think Nick would be perfect here. Why did we never see Cody-Nick III? Cody said it was politics, but why did the NWA, who could benefit from Cody, see it best to get away from him? Also, if Marty comes back choosing Nick (Or choosing neither), that's another friend who cannot vouch for Cody.

I know it's likely not to happen, but that really could be the best quality and substance angle for a LONG time to come.

Very good stuff, man. What an addition, if used right, Marty and Aldis can make. Man that Blanchard is wicked good, too.

The Brain
    Would be very interested in seeing Tully and Jericho be allied at some point. I think they would hate each other's guts but they could hate Cody even more and use each other to get what they want. Faces and heels but with nuance and individuality. That's really all I want.

I like the idea of faces and heels with nuances...its such a simple concept but it'll enhance my enjoyment for aew. Jericho and Blanchard's chemistry would be interesting, together if only paired for a certain kind of match....Hope they stay off each others street corners for awhile, though.

Id hate to advocate for more belts if a promotion is trying to be conservative, but at what point will they need a second singles title?....lot of mens single talent with them.

They need another belt, for sure.

Billy Corgan has announced NWA will tape for weekly viewing beginning on Sep 30 and Oct 1. Doesn't say where or how it will be distributed, but it's said to be studio like 1970s shows.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=iae2t4y7P-c

He said all the right things: personality, anarchy, chaos, unscripted, uncensored, make you care.
    Last edited by Mystic; 08-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.

The Brain
    The Nick Aldis stuff blew away my expectations the more I watched it. If they can bring that touch to a larger product, it could be a true winner.

They keep talking studio and production. I really hope it simply feels like an entirely different kind of show. That and some level of engagement with the characters, stories, titles, is my current bar.

Meanwhile, I have 0 idea what's going on in AEW. Been completely off the grid and sadly haven't had any interest in really finding out. Not even a knock, just that's where my interest has been.

The "road to all out" shows have been quite good...cant say the same for being the elite.

Looks like Tony's on board with AEW, too.

4 man booth, anybody?

The Brain
    Can't imagine watching Being the Elite regularly. Just not my thing!

Hoping they move Marvez to the back, if he's meant to be a stats guy or what have you he can do segments from there. I'd be fine with Tony, JR, and Excalibur, I think that could actually cover all the bases pretty well.

Absolutely only joking about a 4 man booth! Give me a two man booth.

Thing is: even the Tony nobody liked (pre-rehabilitation tour Tony) recived praise for one thing: being better than most at running a 3-man booth. His secret was laying back, letting others shine. Jim Ross can't do that. If they are set on 3, they'd be stupid not to try Tony in the middle, JR to one side repping the old school, disenfranchised fan, and the mask on the other repping the modern Indy, AEW fan. Then everyone serves a purpose and maybe they stop stumbling all over each other.

Worth adding to the point above that JR's best '3-man booth' work was in almost precisely the role you've given him here, adding to what Vince did with Lawler rather than being the PBP guy.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Vince mention is apt. Both Tony and Vince are very matter-of-fact with what they do, which allows those around them to know their boundaries and shine as personalities. JR can sometimes be one of the least affable people in the world, which doesn't help. Plus he's insanely good and locked in at what he does, which will sometimes trample what others are trying to do.

I don't know how they will use Tony, but they are OUT OF THEIR MINDS if they don't open camera the first night on TNT with an announce team that has Tony in the middle. For all the petty shade they've thrown at WWE, these are the true transformations (indirect) that make AEW matter. When WWE purchased WCW they also eventually put them on the Network. So, if you want WCW, want Tony, you have it, in the past, through the Network. That image of Tony in the middle, without a word spoken, shatters that whole reality WWE set forth. You could then go to TNT to watch Tony and AEW. That, for the disenfranchised like myself, is not nothing.

Glanced that Eli Drake might be on his way to an NWA title shot. Another interesting challenge for Nick Aldis. Drake is easier on the mic than Aldis and they sort of present a similar vibe. I can see how Aldis might be threatened by Drake, and I'd be interested in what he tries to do about that.

The Brain
    Never thought I'd say it, but I actually do dig the idea of Tony in the middle to kick off Dynamite. They've done well at tapping into the once forgotten yet numerous positive WCW associations, and it'd be an ideal next step. Tony is obviously much better equipped to lead the booth than JR as well. Do Tony and JR get along? I can't recall, hopefully there isn't some old friction there to gum up the works.

Drake and Aldis feels like a must for the NWA, if for no other reason than I'm not sure who else they have available after splitting with ROH. Fortunately I think that feud alone could be good enough to bridge the gap towards their show, or whatever they plan as the next step.

Honestly, for a 3 man booth to work--really work--I think it takes two color commentators....a heel and face...There are no heel commentators anymore...Graves could be a good heel but he seems to cheer who he likes.

One of the aforementioned booths had Bobby Heenan, the other Jerry Lawler...one had Dusty Rhodes...

I'm not saying you need a heel voice but if you dont have it, cut out the waste...a one man or two man booth would be better than three guys who either agree or squabble without a built in the cake stance.

I definitely take the point, though, that JR doesnt always play well with others. When he connects with someone, like Lawler or Heyman, it can be magic but he doesnt always connect. Still, it seems he's doing his best to give that 3 man booth they have now purpose, trying to give roles to each person...i think the age will benefit he and tony both in their relationship with themselves and others.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:57 PM.

The Brain
    I love how well JR and Heyman connected in 2001, one of my favorite teams ever. Compare to when they did commentary together in WCW for a stretch, Ross would barely talk to Paul and no sold his comments at every opportunity! Definitely helps a lot if JR likes the people he's working with.

Just sent to mizfan, but I won't be able to jump back into podcasting for the foreseeable future. I want to, but I think it will take time to get used to this job. I feel wasted at the end of each day. I'm putting in 10-12-14 hour days right now and I'm expected to be "on" socially, which wipes me out. I'm thinking/hoping it's a process and eventually I will just get used to it, but I have to manage that aspect of my life before I can add back in hobbies, even the super fun ones like ranting on the internet.

The Brain
    I'm expected to be "on" socially
    This has also become the hardest part of my job these days... they should given hazard pay, for god's sake!

Look forward to resuming down the line, whenever and whatever that may be!

I agree with you, mizfan. Weeks later, and it's still the hardest part of the job. Not even an ounce better feeling right now.

Jim Cornette will be calling NWA. That and a recent statement from Billy Corgan has me very curious about this product.

Bob Caudle is still kicking...He must be 120 but I drag his ass in
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    The 80s continue to reassert themselves, and that's not necessarily a bad thing!

The upcoming NWA show definitely has me curious. What was Corgan's recent statement?

It wasn't much specific, just a desire to tap into some old-time chaos or rough around the edges project. Mostly makes me curious that they seem to be acting specifically outside the norm. How much will be budget reasons and how much will be true vision is still to say, but they at least have me curious as to what they are trying to produce and why.