Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Just stopping by to bless anyone who hasn't listened to episode one of the Arn Show. I'm halfway through, only cause I'm savoring every moment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UingBZ0nI4&t=2397s

Great show. I never herd the story of how he met Flair. I thought it was something. Watching WWE Network of Arn, Ole, Tully, and Flair in Crockett 85 and then them coming together is something special.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 09-29-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

I haven't gotten that far, but he has the voice for this show. I love how much he loved pro wrestling. It's almost a disciples following Jesus moment, where he works 3 shows as nobody, quits his full-time job with stability, and doors just keep opening. Appreciate how mindful he is of the people who gave him opportunities. We are currently living in a world where the NWA shows an empty studio with the title "blank canvas" and Arn Anderson is telling his story through podcasts. Again, I can't believe we lived long enough to see some of these things.

The interview gets better and better. Arn hates using the internet and thought a mouse was just a rodent, but because so many people asked him to do this, he wants to do it badly. I have more respect for him than ever. It's hard to believe how much less experienced he is than the rest of the horsemen though. I remember reading his career vs. Flair's years of experience back when I was young. Arn was the youngest of the crew. He should have never let anyone take his fedora away
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Definitely agree about the years. You only know he's inexperienced if someone breaks it down by numbers. Hearing that Ole "made him Arn", named him, created him, tells you a lot. He pretty much said "I'll be whoever you want me to be." He wanted to be this guy from 8 and he went out and did it. Got to respect that. I feel you on the technology part, too. He says something at the beginning about how they are sitting in front of all that technology, as if the inability to DDT or Spinebuster it leaves him without a third idea. He is cleary intimidated, but he's also Arn from a different day, so he says he's "excited" and even nods to his voice will change as he feels more comfortable, but he doesn't allow himself to say he's nervous.

It's so good. He is one of the best ever, and it simply begins with how sacred he saw his calling.

The Brain
    Ah, I almost never listen to podcasts but you guys might persuade me to check this one out. I've been watching a lot of '95 WCW lately and the absolute best portion of that has been Arn as Television Champion. He is unquestionably one of the greatest ever and I might just have to see what he has to say.

Still haven't finished but further. Ted DiBiase comes off looking wonderful. He was at the very top and Arn the very bottom. Yet, he took an interest, watched his matches, and advised him. When Arn left, he told him, "One day, when you see a new talent who has potential, do for them what I did for you. Arn did that, even professionally after his career, and one of those guys was DiBiase's son. Heck of a story on what you do and how it might come back for good or ill, especially in a small community.

Listening to part two now. Arn is a real sweet spirited guy. Love listening to him. Not a bad thing to say about anybody

I'm excited to finish part one and get to the second.

Just got internet at my apartment for the first time since I moved here. First thing YouTube showed me was a video of Cody attacking Jericho. Not sure if I will ever be able to support AEW for a number of reasons, but I'm not unsure of how I feel about Cody as a performer, along with MJF and Jericho.

Not to mention Dustin Rhodes...so far im digging it

The Brain
    There's definitely a lot that I'm liking. Feels like we may get some kind of War Games type match between Cody and Jericho, since both are now amassing friends and allies, and I would be very much here for that.

Anything less than a War Games that includes Cody, Dustin, and MJF is just malpractice.

I don't do much for fun in my life, but this was for fun. Audio messed up my energetic beginning, but it picks back up after a few seconds. :-)

The Brain
    My god! I'll have to watch this later.

If you ever want a commentary partner, I've always been curious to try my hand.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the encouragement. I have a feeling our paths will cross again down this wondrous road we travel.

Currently in the catalog now:

Aldis vs. Tim Storm
    Aldis vs. Marty Scurrl
    Aldis vs. Cody Rhodes (All In)
    Last edited by Mystic; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:53 PM.

In which I defend Kamille's right to remain silent and tell "Journalist Joe" to kick rocks.

The Brain
    "Can you imagine how good it would be if Bobby Roode was here?"

Testify, oh my brother!

He'd be so good. Which got me thinking on my knock against James Storm. Some of your NWA thread comments have had me thinking. I think Storm is really good in a singular way. He's got one delivery, one style. But that's all one. Not much variety outside the gimmick and delivery and not much nuance within it. Even Eli Drake, who I've probably seen five times, has demonstrated nuance to me. So, I don't think I'm as anti-Storm as you might be, but I give him a very hard ceiling with the title he has or the tag title. Never should he be a world champion, in my opinion.

I'm interested now in thinking about different people and how they excel either with variety outside a single character (Jericho is an example, in all the ways he reinvents himself) or nuance within a character (for instance, I think Bobby Roode has a singularity about his gimmick, but I think there's layers and layers of nuance within it).

The Brain
    He actually had a period in Impact that I liked well enough, where he turned heel and acted a bit differently, recruiting underused guys and brutalizing them into his followers. But then one day he essentially walked out to say he didn't like being a heel anymore, and you can imagine what I thought of that.

Then he trapped Bobby Roode into a lifeless, insufferable Beer Money reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post

Then he trapped Bobby Roode into a lifeless, insufferable Beer Money reunion.
    No truer words, my friend.

I've now commentated the last 3 major PPV matches from Nick Aldis. Some folks can impress you from moment one (and it sometimes can fade over time). Aldis, however, impresses me the more I watch him. Even the same matches, again and again. There's something to be learned.

The Brain
    Great opportunity for me to revisit the match as well!

Should it interest anyone, I am beginning a series from 2017, paying tribute to the champion who was champion before the champion who put me back on to NWA: Tim Storm. He worked the NWA for 20 years, became a world champion at 52, and the was the man who carried the belt when the 10 lbs of Gold videos began. He helped the NWA trend upward.

The Brain
    I know vaguely about Tim Storm but I don't think I saw him actually wrestle until the first episode of Powerrr, so this should be an interesting thing to check out!

It was a good time to follow Tim Storm 2017, as last night centered on Tim Storm. Here I analyze Journalist Joe, Tim Storm, and Eli Drake, then commentate the Dawsons vs Storm and Drake. NWA Power, ep. 3, for those who can't get enough of the National Wrestling Alliance!

The Brain
    Tim Storm has been one of my favorite people on the show thus far. Definitely the best guy I didn't know about before.

I really like his consistency. That is sort of who he is to me. Even when he started his potential retirement promo thanking Nick Aldis. I was expecting it, but I was thinking, That is so Tim Storm. He is a good stabilizing force. He knows who he is. A good balance to the younger stars who still need to rumble the ground to get where Storm has already been.

Back with week 4 coverage. I analyze the promo that starts the show, commentate the main event, then sum up my thoughts.

Im looking foward to getting caught up on these.

Really good analysis on Eli Drake. He is playing a specail role. Where do you hope it leads. Personally, O want to see Aldis heel and Drake and Storm faces. Of course I'm a Storm fan, so I can't say too much on the Storm hate . lol...Not big on Cobana.. Enjoyed the show you got here.Who do you want to see be Aldis first big opponent?

Thanks for watching! They are booking Eli Drake *just right* right now, and he has the range (it seems) to pull it off. I prefer Aldis as heel, but I get his being more the representation of the company right now (than straight babyface). I'd love for Aldis to make them ALL look like heels for a long time, only, in the long run, for it to be Aldis that *made* them seem that way, as he was the heel all along. (Almost in a way that a movie twist makes you re-examine every cue and clue you got along the way.) In the real world (balancing storytelling and the need to make money) I wouldn't be shocked if we get Aldis-Drake in December, but I'd love to see it held off into 2020.

If the world was ideal, Martin Scurll's contract thought to be up in November, I'd love for him to do a tour of NWA before reuniting with his dead friends in AEW. (I doubt he would, but this is ideally.) Aldis-Scurll set up a rematch before NWA-RoH split. Love for them to have that at Into the Fire, with Aldis framing it as if he doesn't have an opponent in the company (but truly he is ducking the guys who pissed him off by saying he was ducking them).

The Brain
    If I recall Lagana was part of the creative team that put together the Bully Ray turn in Impact a few years ago, that led to him winning the title. The way that was put together was fabulous, even though fans suspected it in advance there were many moments you could look back on and view in a different light based on what happened later. If they can put together something in that vein, I'll be more sold on this version of the NWA than ever.

That Bully Ray reign was TOP SHELF.

As was the Aldis-Storm segment this week. Such an exercise in knowing your characters, letting them be (and be consistent), and letting character drive a long-forming plot. Nick Aldis is, it seems, a current babyface (despite Journalist Joe and the evidence there that points to Aldis not being the "nicest" guy). Aldis was the leader of the team that won Colt Cabana a title shot against the heel James Storm, for example. Nick Aldis is praised by Tim Storm (a babyface), and even Storm says the title shot (and condition on it) was legitimate and even generous from Aldis.

And I believe Aldis respects Tim Storm as the only other NWA champ of this era in the promotion, and I think he could praise Tim Storm and mean it.

B

u

t

Do you know what babyface, representative of the NWA Nick has done these last five weeks?

Well, coming into Power, he had 3 major challengers for this belt: Tim Storm, James Storm, and Eli Drake.

And, sure, he wrestled Tim Storm (an outlier in the narrative I'm forming), but he also wrestled him in a way that meant, should Aldis win, he would NEVER have to face the only other NWA champion in the company again.

Fast forward: James Storm and Eli Drake are both (seemingly unbeknownst to Aldis….though lol) saying they've sought a title shot with Nick and that he's ducking them.

One week later, Nick Aldis--with nothing but thoughtfulness for Colt Cabana--forms a six-man tag in order to help Colt get a shot at James Storm. They win. Suddenly, James Storm, number-one contender and man who claims Aldis is ducking him, has been turned around to defend his title and to focus on Storm, not Aldis.

Then, Nick Aldis comes out to check on Tim Storm after he teams up with Eli, and gives Eli a look as if he were responsible for Tim Storm on the mat. Which leads to this week, where Nick Aldis pulls Tim Storm over to the side and says something not usual from Aldis: that Tim Storm is as responsible for NWA and NWA Power as Aldis. It's the two of them and they have a club, it seems. And while it's Journalist Joe who keeps questioning Tim Storm, Aldis says not to let people like Eli Drake get into Storm's head.

It seems Aldis may have positioned Storm to go after Eli Drake and, if he has, Aldis has now eliminated all 3 challengers in 5 weeks. The final two without even firing a single one-on-one match shot.

It's brilliant and he is a mastermind and a masterclass in being world champion.

The Brain
    If that's the storyline they're going for (and signs are pointing to yes), they're doing it with pretty brilliant subtlety! Keep unearthing that stuff, Mystic.