{KOTC R1} My WORLD: You're Not as [Jonathan] Good as You Think You Are!

Greetings, LOPites! My name is TheLAW and I am here to tell you a story; a story about one of the most overrated wrestlers in the history of the World of Wrestling and Entertainment! Are you excited? I know that I am not because this is going to be extremely painful, for you.

In the past few weeks, many have placed this false profit upon the very same throne that a Punk used to sit before he got his face punched in, twice. Excuse after excuse has been brought to the mat regarding why his effigy will not be etched into professional wrestling's Mt. Rushmore. What you may fail to realize, is that this story is not going to have a happy ending. Sometimes, you have to bring the cold hammer of truth to the world and show the people who someone really is. This is going to be a tragedy!

I say it is tragic for many reasons, but the most tragic of tragedies within this great tragedy is that most will not see it for the tragedy that it tragically is. This series of events that I am going to regurgitate in cyberspace will leave many of you weary, weeping, or wreaking havoc within the asylums of the backsides of your minds. I apologize in advance; for the truth sometimes hits with all of the forced momenta of a rebound clothesline awkwardly set up between the ring ropes. Let us end this beginning and get on to the story. Dean Ambrose is an overrated tool!

Oh, and before I forget... Welcome back to My WORLD!

In 2012, three men emerged from the masses to seek justice on John Cena, The Ryback, and all of us for... something. The Universe was in awe of these hounds. An Architect, a Big Dog, and a Lunatic had come to tear the machine to the ground. At first, and only at first, it appeared that The Lunatic was guiding The Shield in their every move. He was the first member to win a singles championship, the US Title, while his cohorts flanked him with tag team gold. It would seem, in hindsight, that the weight of the United States was the first of many squandered chances handed to Dean. Can any of you name one match during this time frame that involved Dean Ambrose, that wasn't a six-man tag, that was even remotely worth watching? Anyone? Yes, you, Sir. In the Back?

"What about the match with the Undertaker?!"

Let's talk about that match, shall we? Old Dean-o was handed a one-on-one encounter with the man they call Phenom. What should have been a highlight of the young Lunatic's career, became all but forgotten by the time I obliged to retell the tale, and though no fault of the G.O.A.T. The Undertaker can usually get a good to great match out of any opponent, but Ambrose was the exception. Sadly, this was not the last time he would show how overrated he truly was.

As brother turned against brothers, the first time, it was the Big Dog who would ascend the ladder and chase the Universe's grand prize. The Lunatic was left with behind to fight The Architect in a battle he would never truly win. The initial blood feud between the former Shield brothers was wrought with one great fight, and several mediocre to decent matches following. This story may be a tragic tale, but even I won't retell the hot tragic garbage that was hyped as a Human Cage. The final blow came during The Heist of the Century, when Rollins, not Ambrose, would ascend to the upper realms. The Lunatic would remain on the fringe. This was but the first, of a series of unfortunate main events to befall the best over-the-counter Roddy Piper knock off in the Pre-Ronda Rousey Era.

Left without a target, laziness began to creep into the mind of No Good Dean. He entered into a wasteland feud with Bray Wyatt. During this time, it became painfully obvious that the man once known as Moxley didn't bring his mic skills with him when he entered the universe. Only Dean Ambrose can make a Bray Wyatt promo sound coherent. That, my friends, is a true tragedy. I almost forgot, for you poor souls keeping track, he lost that feud too.

He would enter round two of Ambrose v. Rollins, this time for the World Heavyweight Championship, and he would fall short yet again. This was becoming a pattern almost as repetitive as his move set. At this point, he had proven several truths that most people don't want to admit. He was boring in the ring, he was confusing on the microphone, and now he was about to get destroyed by Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 32. Speaking of someone who had good to great matches with EVERYONE before Ambrose! He lost, again, in the worst match in Lesnar's return to the company to that point. A fact he would later blame on Brock because there's nothing like buying into your own hype when you've seen the lights more than a certain brawler from the North East.

Ambrose was given yet another chance to show us something that would make him stand out. The Asylum Match, with Chris Jericho, is, unfortunately, a thing. Pete, the fucking potted plant!? He had a gimmick match named for him and couldn't deliver with Chris Jericho. After that travesty, he landed with the WWE Championship and was moved to Smackdown.

"Finally, Dean is going to show us what he can do!!"

Nope!! He held the title for four months, a long four months of nothing defenses that you can't remember and I don't want to look up. He would drop the title to AJ Styles. A REAL Champion!

During this time, Dean made the biggest mistake of his career and effectively sank the Steve Austin Podcast on the WWE Network. When Stone Cold says you're lazy, you're lazy. He pissed and moaned through that whole interview and showed the world that he was an overhyped, lackadaisical jack monkey in a wife beater.
    Somehow, Dean Ambrose is a Grand Slam Champion in the WWE; so there isn't a person out in My World, or this Universe that can tell me that they never gave Dean a chance. They gave him hundreds of chances and he squandered all of them. Many of you will be quick to blame the creative team and the booking, but let me remind you of something. It is the Talent's job to pop the crowd. It is the Talent's job to make people care, and Dean Ambrose walked into an arena with 40 thousand people in it and you could hear him walk.

How does it feel, Dean?! How does it feel to know that so many people invested their time and their money into you with little to no return over the past 7 years? How does it feel to know that your complacency ruined your push and not mythical creative team overlords that were holding you down? How does it feel to know that you were given every opportunity to set yourself apart from the pack, and to be the Lunatic your t-shirt claimed you to be? Better Question! How does it feel to know that Becky Lynch is better at being Dean Ambrose than you are?! Alas, now, like that bitch CM Punk before you, you are going to leave with your tail between your legs! Good riddance to piss poor lunatics!

It comes down to this, folks. The entire reason why professional wrestling exists in 2019 is that fans like us want to escape that shitty reality of life sometimes and get lost in a world where the characters can do what we never could. It is the characters and their athletic talent that allow us to suspend our disbelief for a few hours and allows us to forget about our problems. Dean Ambrose doesn't have a clue how to make the fans believe that he is a real person, with real motivations; and if he doesn't give a shit, why should we? I don't believe in you, Dean. The worst part is, that even when they gave you the world, you pissed in the face of someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO DRAW A CROWD IN THE PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING BUSINESS!!!

Damn, I really need to cool my Tito impersonation, speaking of overrated...

Dean Ambrose has/had every tool that you could ever need to be successful in the WWE along with ample opportunity to succeed. Sadly, Dean doesn't have the heart to give it everything he has like his peers do. That is why Dean Ambrose is overrated. He wasn't lunatic enough to be The Lunatic. His Wrestling skills are limited at best, and downright sloppy at their worst. Fans everywhere will always remember him for everything he could have been.

Jonathon Good just isn't good enough.

Dear TheLAW

FUCK YOU

Sincerely

Sir Sam

P.S. This may actually be the best piece I've seen you write on here. As much as vehemently disagree with you (see my main page Ambrose column for my thoughts) this is quite well laid out and well verbalized.

Doesnt excuse the fact you're so wrong it isn't funny.

P.P.S.Fuck you again

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Overrated? Possibly, but that depends how highly you rate him.

In another time, in another era, maybe he could have been something special. In this time and era though? We currently have the most talented roster in history, unfortunately it's combined with the least talented creative department.

Dean is a victim of this. With better booking and a bit of freedom he could have been great in the second tier main event role, the guy you get through to get to the championship.

However, because the main event has been so far above the bulk of the roster for a couple of years now, there has been no spot for him to fill. He's drifted into a role where all aspects of his character are outdone by others.

Apparently he's leaving wwe soon though. I'm not convinced that will happen, but if it does it may help him rediscover what works, so when he inevitably comes back he can focus his character and finally find his place on the roster.
    FACT or FICTION: The Future of Smackdown
    PM me to get involved.

You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
    Definitely the best piece you've written here. Nicely done.

This was an extreme take, but you hammered home your points well, and it didn't feel like you were necessarily reaching so far into an alternate reality that it was totally ridiculous, instead simply presenting a very harsh alternate viewpoint. Not that it matters to the kind of grading we're doing for the competition, but this is the kind of piece that create a stir on the main page; that kind of thing always resonates with yours truly. Writing was good, the flow was nice, you nailed the topic, and it was very engaging.
    Author of The WrestleMania Era book series, author of The Doctor's Orders columns on LOP since 2010, LOP Columns Hall of Famer, former host of The Doc Says podcast on LOP Radio (2013-2018), former LOP Raw and WWE PPV Reviewer (2006-2007), and former LOP Smackdown Reviewer (2004-2006)

Gotta echo SirSam, I emphatically disagree with the premise but appreciate the forceful argumentation throughout!

I echo Sam's sentiments about the FU part considering Ambrose is my favourite wrestler hehe.

With that being said I clearly disagree with what you said here but it damn sure was engaging. This was a great column and it was clear to see that the points you made here you believe.

Fantastic work and good luck!

F2f Time!
    Dear TheLAW

FUCK YOU

Sincerely

Sir Sam
    Love you too buddy! I warned you that you wouldn't enjoy it!.

In another time, in another era, maybe he could have been something special. In this time and era though?
    -Dynomite
    Could he really though? He's working for the same Vinny Mac that gave us Austin, Pillman, and Mankind in top form. Vince can book crazy. Dean just doesnt have the chops to exceed expectations, in my oppinion.

Gotta echo Sir Sam... - Don Franc & R-prof
    Much appreciated fellas!

Definitely the best piece you've written here. Nicely done.
    Thanks Doc! (And Sam for the same sentiment)

I had a hard time with the word count, this wouldve been a lot longer if I could've posted the original, but I'll take less is more for this round.

Jeremy! I'm coming for you! Haha

I, like you, gave Ambrose many chances to prove himself. He just didn’t work out for me. He shown some flashes of brilliance with his band of brothers, beyond that, he’s just so disinterested, and uninteresting.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLAW View Post
    Could he really though? He's working for the same Vinny Mac that gave us Austin, Pillman, and Mankind in top form. Vince can book crazy. Dean just doesnt have the chops to exceed expectations, in my oppinion.
    They were all during a time where the booking was generally outside Vince's comfort zone. The current era is (presently) completely within his comfort zone. Dean just doesn't fit that.
    FACT or FICTION: The Future of Smackdown
    PM me to get involved.

@JWG: I think that is what really got me going in this directiin when I wrote this. He really doesnt care, so neither do I. It amazes me that guys like him and Ziggler could work so hard to get to the dance, and then be so complacent while they're there. I'm sure if he does leave, the door will be open for him, like it was for Mcyntire. But at what point do you just say enough. 7 years is a lot of wasted time.

@Dyno: I can grant you that the creative team and Vince are definitely an issue with the shows, but Becky Lynch doesn't seem to have the problems stetching that comfort zone.

I mostly agree. People love Dean because he was in the Shield, but he has been super sloppy, and mostly unmotivated since then. And I don't buy the whole 'he's unmotivated because of booking'. If you aren't professional at a job you don't like, you'll find a reason to be unprofessional at a job you love. He is great on the mic when motivated, but as you said, he is an average in ring wrestler, at the very best. I also don't think he would fair better in a different generation.

I like him, but he is vastly overrated imo.

Solid column, Law.

@Kleck: was kinda funny watching the twitterverse this morning and evryone talking about deans promo last night. Funny how no one was talking about how he got jobbed out to EC3 and is in the middle of the Enzo/Nia storyline. If he doesn't care, I'm certainly not going to. Sloppy and unprofessional are perfect adjectives.

I’ll start with the content of the column – hard disagree from me. You are pretty harsh on Dean’s SummerSlam 2014 match directly and his Battleground 2016 triple threat and Backlash 2016 title defenses indirectly, and I find all three of these to be exceptional wrestling matches. You mention that Seth ascended to the upper realm as of WrestleMania 31 (and that Reigns did the same earlier, though he hadn’t yet won the WWE Championship), but Dean Ambrose being in multiple PPV main events far before Seth or Roman had won the big one wouldn’t qualify as being in the upper echelon?

Next, I want to dissect the approach to your stance. I’d recommend being cautious with extreme statements like, “Can any of you name one match…that was even remotely worth watching?” Sure, going to the extreme more emphatically states your position, but they’re often just so much easier to poke holes in. If you softened things a bit to something like, “Ambrose held the championship for nearly a year and had far too many underwhelming matches for a champion of that ostensible caliber”, it still drives the message of him being overrated while not setting a ludicrous claim. For the record, Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler at Night of Champions 2013 is “remotely worth watching”. If you say, “Ambrose’s matches are underwhelming”, you have room to argue while still providing a pretty harsh bullet to his reputation. When you effectively say, “All of Ambrose’s matches are shitty”, it really only takes something marginally above shitty to wipe out that argument.

I also find your approach to the argument to be a little one-dimensional. Boil a good chunk of this column down, and you ultimately get a Wikipedia of Dean Ambrose’s WWE career prior to 2017, and you saying that every step along the way is awful. Give me something more to sink my teeth into; give me something more substantive. Also, the emotion behind your argument creeps up a little too often (going FULL CAPS and overusing the ‘?!’ are indicators). Feels more like you have a personal beef with Ambrose and it’s clouting your judgment more than a fair assessment.

On the structuring side of things, I think your intro went too long. You could honestly cut out everything after “…this is going to be extremely painful, for you” and everything before “In 2012, three men emerged…” and have a much cleaner approach to the column than the drumroll that stretched out too long. Personally, I wouldn’t do that exactly – more of a revamp heavy on culling – but you get my point. This is especially important in a setting where the word count is already restricted.

There were quite a few errors in this as well, notably on the writing side. I spotted false “profit” where it should’ve been “prophet. I noticed a number of commas creeping up when unneeded (“This was but the first, of a series…”, for example). Also, the semicolon after “I apologize in advance” would need the section after it to have the ability to act as a standalone sentence to warrant the semicolon. “Jonathon” is misspelled in your closing line when you had it right in the title. The next thing is more of a personal preference, but the number of “tragedy” or “tragic” variations in close proximity grated a little bit. I get what you were going for – the intentional overuse of a word for clever effect – but it didn’t work for me.

Sorry, guy. This one was a swing and a miss for me.

So I'm going to both disagree and agree with Skul on this one.

Hot take- I agree with you on Ambrose. I've never liked him and I really don't get the appeal. He's average on the mic. He's clunky in the ring. He's a C-Grade Stone Cold. I just don't get it. In terms of title reigns, if you were to stack him up against Roman and Seth I don't feel his relevance even comes close. The thing is, Dean works best as part of a group like The Shield where his flaws can be hidden by the others. Set him apart in a solo realm and he just doesn't hold up as strongly. He has fans though, and he'll be fine when he leaves the WWE, but in terms of your take on the topic I agree with you.

As for what I agree with on Skul, while this is by far one of the best things you've written in the CF, your actual writing still needs some work. These types of contests are just the thing to make you think long and hard about things like periods and commas and where they belong and while I'm not as harsh a critic on those things, others will be. BUT, it's still quite the improvement so I applaud you for that.

This is another battle that I think is very close. Good luck and congratulations. You sparked a hell of a lot of discussion, which as Doc said is always one of the main goals to achieve.
    Last edited by Rob S.; 02-07-2019 at 12:49 PM.

@Skull: Much appreciated on the constructive end! I also noticed some of grammatical errors. Shitty part is I only noticed them after I had posted. I didn't want to take the editing hit, so I relied on hopefully causing enough discussion on the topic to hide the negatives. I almost got away with it! Lol.

To your point on the "Can anyone" section, I dont feel like those matches in particular do anything to wipe the argument out. I feel like it they do more to spure the debate further. Since this was the goal, I will say that I couldn't remember the NOC match with Dolph if I tried.

You might be surprised to find out that before Sam wrote his Dean column on the MP, my original target was going to be Ziggles. Lol. That's good irony.

I thoroughly appreciate your points on the writing. And would love to discuss with you further why Dean is a pile of monkey garbage.

@Rob: Thank you for following Sam and Doc with the much undeserved ego boost! Having the three of you say that this is the best outing I've had thus far means a lot.

On the grammar stuff, please see above. I think typing this out on my phone first, then editing on the laptop really hurt some of the more obvious mistakes. Also, I hate that there are different ways to spell Jonathan. There's no spell check that wouldve caught that lol.

I really wish I woyld have thought of the "better in a group" mentality when I was writing this. I probably could've ran pretty hard with that. Especially because it's an accusation most often hurled at the Dog of Biggness.

Thank you again to you both! And let me know where to send the bribes! Lol

The Brain
    I do think this is one of your better columns you’ve ever done. I too share concerns about Dean, though you may be overstating it a little. You’re doing it to good effect though, and I like some of your turns of phrase (watch out for wrong words, “profit” instead of “prophet”. The rebound clothesline is indeed horrible. You’re letting Lesnar way too much off the hook for stinking up the join at ‘Mania though. And old man Jericho, for that matter. And WWE creative. WWE has a lot of wheels that don’t turn quite right, is what I’m saying. Maybe got too emotional for me towards the end, and you’re not accounting for how overwhelming popular he was at one point. Great effort overall though, can tell you put a lot into this and it paid off.