Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shinsuke Nakamura Thread

The place you can talk all things The King of Strong Style

I'll start off by saying that I personally think that his character since his facade dropped at Wrestlemania has been just fantastic. Everything about the character from his mannerisms, to his facial expressions, to even just his hair cut makes him a top quality prick.

I do hope he picks up the WWE title at some point the story seems to be aiming towards that but you just never know with the WWE. He also hasn't had a truly great match since he debuted on the main roster, which is now over a year which can't really be helping his cause.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-10-2018 at 07:58 AM.

I've loved the tilt in his mannerisms, the brashness, the music change; plus his overall demeanor has always been more suited towards the arrogant heel - although with his popularity he was always going to be brought in as a face.

I do think we will get that 'great match' in his run with A.J, and they are building towards it. Their match at Backlash with an extra 10 minutes and different finish I think would have reached those levels. Come MITB, I think we will get something great from the pair.

I think a lot of people are expecting these two to really light a fire, but the audience they're playing to here is so much different from the NJPW audience that it's not quite working yet. They're also being a bit hurt on time, and I'm not sure if that's the agenting or just the pair of them getting sudden hurry ups handed down to them.

They're essentially giving, every time so far, the first 15-20 minutes of an NJPW match and then doing a really quick finish (or non-finish). Give them a bit more time on it and I do think you get a finishing sequence to build on the rest of the match.

The Brain
    I've loved what I've seen of his heel turn in terms of character work, but I do wonder at this point if he maybe hasn't coasted so long in the ring that his days of great matches are over. Seems weird as I'd rate him one of the best big match wrestlers in the world just a few years ago, but at what point does a total lack of great matches become the norm? Big Nak fan but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

I think he can still do it, all three of his matches with AJ have had the foundation of something but they just haven't found that final gear yet and I think the finishes they have been told to go and do haven't helped.

I liked that at GRR AJ snapped and stopped caring about winning but just wanted to hurt Nakamura however the double dick kick was just silliness.

Can he still do it? Because the first match they had at Wrestlemania was played 100% clean and it was merely "good" compared to what people expected (and I don't want to hear the "it was just the start of the feud" or "Nak wasn't a heel yet" excuses; it's Wrestlemania and Nak has proven capable of doing face vs. face matches before. They had their shot and missed the mark). And even if Nakamura can still deliver it I'm not sure if a) he'll be allowed to considering how WWE has booked the last two finishes and b) if anyone will care because those two finishes were as poorly constructed as humanly possible. There's several people I know now who thought this would be the feud of the year and now they don't even care to see the third match. That's what's so mind blowing about this whole AJ/Nakamura business; the WWE had the easiest angle and series of matches in the world to make great and instead they've turned it into three underwhelming (if still decent) matches with terrible finishes and diminishing interest. It's pretty wild, and also a reason I'd caution people about getting expectations to high for anything else, like Miz vs. Bryan. If they could blow this layup, they can screw up anything.

There's a small part of me that thinks WWE has willfully screwed them over by cutting time and/or giving them screwy finishes, simply because of the NJPW connection.

I mean, was anybody really hyped for the Mania match based on what WWE did with the two of them in the lead up? I don't think so - the hype completely came from this one match they had two years previously in a completely separate company.

Do I think WWE could be that petty? Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Do I think WWE could be that petty? Yep.
    It shouldn't even be a question anymore that they could be. Whether they are is a whole other thing. Personally I think simple mismanagement is a more plausible explanation, mind. It's not like they're doing loads of great stuff and this is the one thing they're getting wrong, after all.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time
    It shouldn't even be a question anymore that they could be. Whether they are is a whole other thing. Personally I think simple mismanagement is a more plausible explanation, mind. It's not like they're doing loads of great stuff and this is the one thing they're getting wrong, after all.
    I err on the side of simple mismanagement. Just based on what Bruce Prichard and others have said WWE tries to fit stars from other promotions into its formula. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't as we see from the terrible gimmicks wrestlers have gotten.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Any guesses what he is going to pick for the match type with AJ at MITB?

I think it was the TRSOP boys that suggested a cup on a pole match.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    I'd guess I Quit or Last Man Standing? Either one could work with the dick obliteration theme of this feud.

Shinsuke has apparently been referencing Eddie's 'Lie, Cheat, Steal' gimmick in his work lately.

The Brain
    That's not a connection I would have made but now that I've heard it, I can kind of see it. Seems to beat what he was doing before, if nothing else!

There is certainly the aura of untouchable arrogance and a glint of charisma.

@Sir_Samuel

I would go with a falls count anywhere match. If it's an "I quit" match, I don't see AJ Styles losing. When has a face lost an I quit match legitimately (besides HHH in 1998)?

Falls count anywhere would be the way to go if they want to build off the last few matches that had a countout and DQ ending.

I really just hope they get to blow off the feud. If the final match has a proper climax it will actually turn the series into something pretty decent.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    I think it's already cemented itself to be remembered as a big disappointment, sadly. Expectations were probably too high. It would be nice if they could finish on a high note though.

On a larger note, is anyone else tired of these Smackdown main event feuds which are just the same match repeated over and over again? I guess that's sort of WWE thing in general these days but it seems especially prevalent on Smackdown lately, just the same match/feud stretched over 4 months without much happening to differentiate the start from the finish.

It's been the way on Smackdown, certainly since the brand split. Very strange, I do think.

My only concern is that the LMS match ends with a double dick kick ten count.

I think the idea is they're epic rivalries that will be remembered. Unfortunately only The Miz's feuds have ever lived up to that. The Miz/Ziggler and a few of Ambrose's feuds have gone on forever and been great. But most of them sink, and then the writers flog a dead horse.

The LMS match sucks, for me. It involves a lot of rest break while people count to 10. My greatest hope is Nakamura does something despicable to win the match and get heat....

Knew it would be last man standing given last match finish. Fine with it because I know the story will finally be over. I'm not a fan of the match type and hope we get no counts until the last minute of the match. I'm sure it will end a nut shot too. If anything, it protects AJ in a loss. Usually the face in this situation only loses these matches if an outside force comes in.

Also, doing it at this show, pretty much guarantees no one is cashing in.

Count me in the party that doesn't like LMS matches either. They (generally) have memorable spots, but the work before gets hampered by the regular ref counts. If they deployed that a bit less, I think they'd be quite good.

The Brain
    I don't mind LMS matches, though I don't know if it'll be the thing that finally gets them to repeat their level of quality from 2.5 years ago.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but my favorite idea I've seen bandied around would be a title changes hands on a DQ stip. That's not one I usually like but it'd be a fitting payoff to the whole low blow thing if Nak fooled the ref or baited AJ and got the title through underhanded, non "wrestling" means.

Just when you thought Nakamura's theme couldn't get any more epic:

@Sir_Samuel

So, what next for Shinsuke?

Rough first year on the main roster, even though he was perpetually around the main event he never really got a look in as the title holder. I think he could be a much better mid card champ than Hardy but they also have Almas on Smackdown who is ready to tear the midcard up.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    So, what next for Shinsuke?
    Being bit by a dog, apparently.

It seems that the US title is a consolation prize for being bitten, then.

I am so bored by him. And now they have a truly WTF moment with Orton.

Nakamura low blows Hardy and wins the US Title in seconds...clearly the work of a huge heel.

Orton surprises everyone and slowly comes to the ring, seemingly to attack Nakamura and to avenge the face Hardy.

Orton attacks Hardy and low blows him again, stares at Nakamura, who also looks completely confused.

Then on Smackdown, Nakamura is still clearly a heel, with his interview and match against Hardy. During the match with Orton stops Hardy and attacks him in the heelish way possible, then telling him and us that "We have to wait to fins out why".

Nakamura from the ramp looks confused also.

What the hell? What is the WWE doing with Nakamura, Hardy and Orton? If Orton is turning heel, then why involve Nakamura?

No sense.

I don't think they are involving Nakamura. They just wanted to get the Hardy/ Nakamure rematch out of the way, pivot to Orton/Hardy and then they will give Nakamura someone else. possibly Rusev.

I don't believe there's an Orton/Nakamura stable.

I wasn't implying a stable, just the look of confusion on Nak's face, made it seem like he was turning face.

Was Orton supposed to tell Nak what he was gonna do? Not all heels are friends lol.

Oh I get that, but when one heel attacks a face, the other heel usually joins in on the beat down or cheers on in support.

It is a bit curious as to what is going on with Nakamara. On one hand, I am liking him as a heel and I feel it is too soon to turn him face again, but on the other hand the WWE universe keep singing along with his song even when the WWE tried to prevent that so maybe the WWE is giving up on Nakamara being heel?

There also aren't really any faces for a heel Nakamara to feud with. He's suffering from the same problem Almas is. A lack of faces on Smackdown to feud with. Rusev hasn't turned face yet so if they're going to have Rusev feud with Nakamara, someone has to turn soon.

I agree with Powder that usually the other heel would join in or cheer, especially in Nakamara's case because him and Orton have a history of teaming together during late 2017.

Orton and Nakamura's are going to be a permanent tag team, called KingSnake, and their whole purpose for existing is just going to be dick punches.

Before Hardy left the WWE years ago, was he ever in a feud with Orton? Because if Orton is attacking Hardy for something from back then would be awesome. It would be similar to when Punk had the feud with Orton when Punk called back to when Orton attacked him and kept him out of the Scramble title match.

Orton/Hardy had a few matches in 07 or 08 I believe... At one of the Rumble shows when Jeff was getting his first big singles push.. (then he got suspended right after only to get the big push later) I remember being at the Raw where Hardy jumped off the cage onto Umaga cause Orton was on the outside.

But i think it ties to Hardy basically stealing Orton's spotlight when he was drafted to SD and they wanted to turn Orton.... who clearly has more fun as a heel.

Does it need to be any more complicated than "You beat me for my title when I was working through injuries, I had to go and have surgery afterward and you weren't even man enough to be able to keep the belt until I came back and could have my rematch."

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Before Hardy left the WWE years ago, was he ever in a feud with Orton? Because if Orton is attacking Hardy for something from back then would be awesome. It would be similar to when Punk had the feud with Orton when Punk called back to when Orton attacked him and kept him out of the Scramble title match.
    They feuded for the WWE title at the start of 2008, I believe. Orton came out of that feud on top so there would be no reason for Orton to go after him for something from 2008.

Do you know I can't remember the last time I heard anyone mention Nakamura now. I know I'm not following but it seems telling that I'm not picking anything up in the background noise.

He honestly has no storyline going into Hell In a cell, which is weird.