Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Brain
    Ah, fuck. I'll see if I can find them again later.

Sadly... I wasn't terribly impressed with the fake Kenta (that always messed me up when I was searching KENTA matches back in the day...) in some of his matches I saw from ROH, (against Samoa Joe... and I think AmDrag?...), so I'm not looking forward to those. (Although... I've heard amazing things about Misawa...) Fuck it... I'll watch the two Kenta Kobashi matches. (And I'll give drunk reviews again...) The other 2 matches have been pulled, though, due to copyright infringement or whatever.

Fuck it... need to get some more beer, and then I'm going to watch to watch the Kobashi/Sasaki match. Seeing as how you said it was "worth my time to check out".

(I guess you responded while i was editing my post... so it made mostly a double post, I guess?)
    Last edited by meandi; 01-29-2019 at 01:45 AM.

mizfan... just watched that Kobashi/Sasaki match. I was... I dunno. I've got 4 1/2 pages of notes on the match, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I will go into this saying that I'm a huge fan of KENTA and loved his matches with Marafuji, so when you recommended a tag match with those guys on the opposite sides plus someone that I had seen in Ibushi plus someone I had heard/read about in Ishimori... my interest was peaked. I've seen Kenta Kobashi matches before, and they bored the shit out of me. I was willing to give it a shot, though. Just like the last review... bullet points

-I'm not sure who the first guy out is, but he reminds me of Rusev Day!

-oh, wait... the second one out is definitely Kobashi. I've seen him before. Hope this doesn't bore me like his ROH matches did.

-<btw...I'm rooting for Not-Rusev>

-why do the announcers say the last name first and the first name last? Imagine if the 'E did that... Baaaaaalllloooooorrrrr, Finn. Or Rollllllllllliiiiinnnnnns, Seth. What would they even do with Big E or Cesaro or Sheamus? Imagine Paul Heyman having to say "Lesssssssnaaaaarrrrr, Brock.

-the bell just rang, and I must say... these are probably the two largest Japanese guys I've seen square off. Back in the day, I was always watching the smaller guys in Japan... your KENTA's, Marafuji's, Ibushi's or even smaller white boys (Hey there Finn Balor... how you doin'?) Crowd is wild, though...

-Not-Rusev with a quick suplex, and I already popped. (Told you I was cheering for him...)

-apparently I wrote "I'm very drunk, and it's getting difficult to write coherently" in my notes. Good thing I type better than I write...

-meh... look at that- a chop battle that wound up with a suplex. As much as I love the hard hitting nature of Puro- it always turns out the same

-they showed a slow motion replay of a clothesline... after less than 5 minutes into the match. The KENTA/Ishimori vs Marafuji/Ibushi match I just watched/reviewed had exactly zero replays because it was fast-paced with no down time whatsoever

-both guys standing outside the ring yelling at each other to get back in the ring. They finally do... and the crowd pops for a knuckle-lock test of strength? Huh? Is this real life?

-cool kinda jumping northern light suplex from Not-Rusev to Kobashi out of the knuckle-lock. I guess. I'm already bored with this match. (Only thing keeping me going is calling Sasaki "Not-Rusev"...) Will the big boys start please start to beat the shit out of each other?

-Kobashi is boring the shit out of me just like I remember from his ROH matches. Yeah, cool... you've got a vicious chop. Do something to impress me, though...

-I'm only 1/3 into this match... hope it picks up, yo

-blah... doing yet another chop across your opponent when he's laid out on the apron isn't cool Kobashi. It's pretty fucking lame, truth be told. (R-Truth showing up right now could be pretty cool. At least he would make me smile and giggle a little bit...) Like, for real (Truth...<R-Truth>...), the DDT on the outside didn't help

-okay... the slingshot plancha was cool. However... someone your size shouldn't do that. You'll probably kill someone someday doing that.

-the headbutt in the corner from Not-Rusev followed by the chop/clothesline/chop/clothesline followed by the Frankensteiner... I did enjoy that... followed by a top rope diving clothesline

-Not-Rusev with a diving cross body/plancha off the top rope to the guy that bores me to tears on the outside! Quite impressive for Not-Rusev.

-Somehow they're both outside, and Not-Rusev is yelling at the boring guy to get back in the ring

-Not-Rusev does an extremely mediocre bulldog out of the corner. (I for real rolled my eyes and asked aloud "Where is Rick Steiner when we need him? My pup looked at me like I was somewhat retarded.)

-However... the 13:40 mark... those chops!

-90 seconds(ish) of a chop battle was fucking awesome. The crowd popping... watching the sweat fade away off their chests... I've finally woken up for this match

-going back and forth in the corner with the chops... I remember when Sting and Flair did that back in the day, but it was four, maybe five, chops each? Not-Rusev and The One That Bores Me are laying into each other at least, 15, maybe 20 chops at a time?

-the above almost reminds me of AmDrag/Cena from SummerSlam'13 whenthey were slapping the shit out of each other whilst they were on their knees. (Except ramp it up by a multiple of at least 5)

-so, back to this match... the stiff chops were cool. It's become a bit much now, though

-and... the chops are still going on. I'm getting bored again. (I really need a "duck the chop and dump him on his head suplex" spot right about now. Please and thanks)

-nope... not even the elbow to the throat helped out

-Not-Rusev climbs the turnbuckle and The One That Bores Me climbs up (he slightly botched...) and there's a weak-ass superplex. However...

-The One That Bores Me hits a bad ass half-nelson suplex, and not only does the crowd pop... I remember I'm actually watching this match, and I pop as well. (Even though I want Not-Rusev to win...)

-And... another half-nelson suplex, and I'm fully awake at this point

-Not-Rusev somehow wound up outside and TOTBM is on the apron. (Don't ask me how... I was still in the midst of waking up...) Not-Rusev catches TOTBM with... it's not quite a Michinoku Driver. It's more like Al Snow's "Snow Plow", but TOTBM was on the apron and Not-Rusev was on the floor. The more I think about it... it was more like a fisherman's buster. That's what we'll call it. Definitely got an "Oh, shit" pop from me, though... whatever you wanna call it.

-Not-Rusev rolls into the ring first while TOTBM is still outside

-And... apparently there's a 20 count instead of the traditional10 count. (Didn't ROH still this concept now that I think about it?)

-Not-Rusev hits an impressive tiger suplex whilst TOTBM is reaching for the ropes

-I can't even give him the fake initials anymore... Kobashi hits a most impressive lariat

-and then they both decide to hit stiff brainbusters and no-sell them only to get up and do a double clothesline spot that knocks them both the fuck out... won't even lie...I liked that spot. I've now decided Kobashi only bores me in the first 20 minutes of his matches. I can get down with the endings, though.

-Kobashi sinks in a sleeper and turned it into a suplex, and I need to pick up my jaw

-so, I'm an atheist... but even i can say "Oh, my Jesus"... those elbows that Kobashi delivers in the final seconds. Wow.

With all that said, though... still underwhelmed like I was with his ROH matches. Give me more KENTA (please?!?!?!), Marafuji, and pretty much any of the lighter guys. Fake Kenta, AKA, TOTBM doesn't do much for me.

The Brain
    Haha, got it, not a Kobashi fan. Seems like he won you over at least a little bit though, I always remembered that huge chop battle and how it just kept escalating.

Here's that '15 match with Minoru Suzuki against your boy Marufuji, hopefully this one doesn't get yanked:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q2v4j

And that '17 match, Cage vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima, who is another lighter guy you might like. Direct to you from sketchy Russian youtube!

https://rutube.ru/video/5fd7e3948ed0...a8e5f80026eeb/

And bonus match, it's KENTA teaming up with none other than Katsuyori Shibata against one of the biggest veterans of the promotion Akira Taue, and his partner Go Shiozaki, from 9/9/06. Not as good as the '07 match but a really fun and interesting one.

EDIT: Oh, and in Japan they always give the surname first, proper name last. Not sure why!

Susuki/Marufuji was pretty good, even though it never really got out of first gear, imo. (The ending picked up a bit, but still only second gear.) Susuki has some nice chops, and Marufuji's kicks and knees were stiff as fuck. Again, this is what I think of when I think "strong style", and I'm still wondering why Nakamura is considered the king.

I've read good things about both Shibata and Shiozaki. Looking forward to this tag match with KENTA and Taue. (Can't remember ever reading or seeing his name, so I'm intrigued about his inclusion in this match...)

So... Taue... seems to be maybe a legend based on the crowd response in the first few minutes?

Yeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That KENTA/Shibata vs Taue/Shiozaki tag match is exactly what I want out of Japanese wrestling. Never a dull moment, and all 4 guys got to shine just perfectly. It was stiff; it was beautiful; it flowed perfectly; there was even an attempted Crane Kick. Love that one. Thank you for sharing that one, sir.
    Last edited by meandi; 02-10-2019 at 08:07 PM.

The Brain
    Yeah, Nakamura as "King of Strong Style" is pretty much just a gimmick. Doesn't really bear any resemblance to reality.

Yup, Taue is a major legend of the 90s, one of the four pillars of All Japan. Really glad you liked the tag match!

Pretty sure Iíve made it quite clear that I love me some KENTA, so anything with him in it is gonna pique my interest. Quick question, though... was he normally a heel? I donít understand the commentators, nor do I know any of the back story to these matches, but from the crowd responses... it seemed like he was the heel in this match. (And Iím trying to remember the matches against Marufuji from back in the day, but it seems like Marufuji was the face in those matches, as well.)

The Brain
    I'm actually not sure, I believe he was on the heel side of the Taue match from the way he was going after the legend so viciously, but I don't know off the top of my head if he was usually on that side of the equation.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    The other day I spotted a huge ad in one of the more crowded subway stations here in Osaka promoting the finals of Noah's N-1 Victory tournament, which will be held here. I'd never seen such a large ad for any pro wrestling show here, which was interesting. Seems like they're going all out on this event because just yesterday they announced a special match, where the GHC Heavyweight Champion Kaito Kiyomiya will team up with All Japan's Jun Akiyama and Wrestle-1's Keiji Mutoh on a 3-on-3 match (the other team is TBD). I bought a ticket to the show because I've never seen Mutoh wrestle live so this will be one of those rare chances to do so since he mostly seems to wrestle only in big shows in Tokyo, never in Osaka.

I also checked out the N-1 Victory tournament bracket. Despite having just ten competitors total (two blocks of 5) it does look a bit interesting. They have a few people from other promotions participating.

A Block:

- Naomichi Marufuji
    - Takashi Sugiura
    - Go Shiozaki
    - Masa Kitamiya
    - Alex Hammerstone (MLW)

B Block:

- Katsuhiko Nakajima
    - Shuhei Taniguchi
    - Kenoh
    - Masaaki Mochizuki (Dragon Gate)
    - El Hijo de Dr. Wagner Jr. (MLW)

I haven't been following Noah at all, but on paper it seems that they're really struggling since they've had to bring in outside help to fill a lot of gaps for the tournament and special attraction matches. I know other companies do this as well but for a ten-man tournament you would think they'd have enough talent on the roster to fill things out.

The Brain
    Deg, please come back and tell us how that show is!! Sounds like you'll get to see some really cool stuff. I have heard very little about NOAH this year so I suspect they aren't doing great but they do have the occasional highly acclaimed match still.

I just got back from the Noah show that I mentioned about a month ago. It was fun for the most part. Like I mentioned, the main reason why I went to the show was because Keiji Mutoh would be wrestling and it would probably be the only chance ever I could see him performing in the ring. He was part of a six man team along with GHC Heavyweight Champion Kaito Kiyomiya and Jun Akiyama, and they faced the team of Naomichi Marufuji, Shuhei Taniguchi, and Dragon Gate's Masaaki Mochizuki. It was my favorite match of the night.

Mutoh wasn't in the ring a whole lot, which is to be expected considering he recently just had knee surgery I believe and is almost 60 years old. But he did manage to do surprisingly well, pulling off some of his array of moves like dragon screws, his quick-twitch flash elbow, and even a few Shining Wizards. But he looks to be in rather rough shape, having some difficulty even walking to the back when the match was over. His knees and back look shot, kind of like Hulk Hogan moves around these days. Everyone did really well in the match, with one of the subplots being Akiyama and Taniguchi always beating each other up like they held a deep grudge for some reason. The ending of the match saw Akiyama hit Taniguchi with the Exploder Suplex, followed by Mutoh's Shining Wizard, followed by Kiyomiya's suplex finisher (however it's called) for the pin.

One surprise I wasn't expecting was seeing former GHC heavyweight champs Kenta Kobashi and Takeshi Rikio come out to do commentary for the second half of the show. It was cool seeing Kobashi in person, and he sat to do commentary just a few feet in front of me. I will always mark out over moments like that.

The rest of the show was decent. The first half of the show was passable, at best. Lots of tags, and since I hadn't watched a Noah show in years I really didn't know anyone so I wasn't really that invested in it. One thing I liked was seeing Rhino wrestling here, which I didn't expect, although it's not surprising given their current relationship with Impact Wrestling (they also promoted Impact's Bound For Glory match between Marufuji and Michael Elgin). The second half was solid. Besides the six man match I mentioned, there was a GHC Jr. Heavyweight match that was pretty good, and the main event to determine the winner of the N-1 tournament was also solid (won by Kenoh).

My overall observation of Noah is kind of mixed, though. I liked the show, enjoyed a lot of the talent, and had fun overall. But it's kind of like they have no identity right now, nothing to distinguish them from other big companies. New Japan is the top dog now by far in every aspect. All Japan still has that old-school wrestling vibe. Dragon Gate's mix of styles makes them stand out. DDT's comedic side is one of their main distinguishing features. Noah has nothing like that, from what I saw tonight. Their talent is good but nothing that makes them stand out, to be honest. I don't know if it's because I really don't follow them, but I just felt like it was just an normal wrestling show, nothing I would go out of my way to seek.

The Brain
    Yeah, at the moment NOAH seems to be a less successful version of AJPW, which is doing somewhat better but is nowhere near their peak either. Still, you can expect a fun show and it sounds like you got just that. Awesome that you saw Kobashi, that's incredibly cool!!

One thing I did forget to mention about the Osaka show is that it was held in the main floor of Edion Arena, the same place where New Japan does most of their big shows here (like New Beginning, their G-1 tournament stops, and Power Struggle). For some reason I thought it was going to take place in the smaller floor downstairs. Surprisingly, the show seemed to have drawn well enough. They did do a lot of local advertising so it looked like it helped. After all, that was how I discovered the fact they were holding that show, by seeing a huge banner ad at a train station near Edion Arena.

The second floor seats looked at least 70% full from where I was sitting, which was better than I would have expected. The first floor arena seats were also about 70-80% full in my estimation, but they used less than half of the available floor space for seating so the capacity was far less than any New Japan show. I was trying to find attendance stats but couldn't find any. I'm guessing they drew something similar to what All Japan did last year for their big summer show which was about 2500 people.

The Brain
    Hey, that's actually not too bad! Glad they drew ok, always rooting for a wrestling company to succeed. I saw they also had something going on with MLW, which is interesting in and of itself.