Pro Wrestling NOAH

Here's a brief summary of last night's NOAH results, from the EDION Arena in Osaka. Naturally SPOILERS follow.

(1) Yoshinari Ogawa & Junta Miyawaki vs. Hajime Ohara & Hitoshi Kumano
    Winner: Kumano (12:42) with an Argentine Backbreaker on Miyawaki.

(2) Akitoshi Saito vs. Masao Inoue vs. Cody Hall
    Winner: Saito (4:55) via pin-fall on Inoue.

(3) Muhammad Yone & Quiet Storm vs. Maybach Taniguchi & Mitsuya Nagai
    Winner: Taniguchi (11:09) with the Maybach Bomb Zwei on Storm.

(4) Atsushi Kotoge vs. YO-HEY
    Winner: Kotoge (10:08) following the Kill Switch.

(5) Kenoh vs. HAYATA
    Winner: Kenoh (8:01) following a Diving Foot Stomp.

(6) Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Masa Kitamiya
    Winner: Kitamiya (7:43) following a Saito Suplex.

(7) Takashi Sugiura, Daisuke Harada & Tadasuke vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Hi69 & Minoru Tanaka
    Winner: Hi69 (18:53) with the Stuka Splash on Tadasuke.

(8) Go Shiozaki vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima
    Winner: Nakajima (17:47) following the Vertical Spike.

Apparently a lot of this is building up to their Korakuen Hall show at the end of the month.

The Brain
    While All Japan has rebounded a fair bit this year, it's my impression Noah is still in sort of rough shape (I look forward to Pete pulling up attendance statistics that prove me completely wrong on that). At the beginning of the year they got some hype around the Kenou vs. Kaito Kiyomiya feud, which I thought was pretty good but not great. Their roster really doesn't grab me that much at the moment I guess, they've got a couple good guys but they really feel lost in the mix of a lot of Japanese feds that are out performing them on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    (I look forward to Pete pulling up attendance statistics that prove me completely wrong on that).
    Really not sure I can. Short version, I think they're on the up, but it's in a relatively small way compared with All Japan so it's harder to verify. If you can imagine the kind of slow building work AJPW have done over the last couple of years, I have the feeling that NOAH are basically right at the beginning of that process and you're only seeing the result in the odd improved attendance here and there. But as I say, it's a lot harder to prove.

I wonder if going back to Sugiura is an attempt to try and recapture some of the mood of the previous decade.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I feel like that's kind of his whole deal? I did really like his stuff with Minoru Suzuki a few years back, but that's Suzuki so of course it's going to be brilliant. The whole Suzuki-gun invasion was pretty great from what I saw, and it's since New Japan pulled him back to the fold that they've been seemingly struggling. I thought Nakajima might pull them back up but that didn't seem to do much, and more recently Kenou seemed like the hot new hope but I'm not sure they'll go all in on him.

The next title defence on the 29th is against Marufuji. Quality no doubt, but certainly not indicative of a brave new world.

The Brain
    Yeah, they don't seem to be on a path to return to success the same way AJPW is right now.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I didn't catch the show last night, but Takashi Sugiura defended the GHC Heavyweight title against Marufuji. Two title matches for Marufuji in a span of a week, no wins. At least he won the Champion Carnival.

Based on what I read, after the match Kenoh and Kaito Kiyomiya both challenged Sugiura, so in one of the upcoming shows they both will face each other to determine the next in line to get the GHC Heavyweight Championship shot.

Also on the show, Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya lost their first GHC Heavyweight Championship title defense again Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya.

I honestly don't know half of the names here as I haven't been following Noah, so I'm not sure if anything that happened here should be something to look forward to during the summer.

The Brain
    Kind of figured Marufuji would fail on both title shots. A bit weird if you get beat by one champion and not by another in such a short span, it'd look like you were making a statement that one company was better than the other.

Kenoh (Kenou? I always see his name written differently) and Kiyomiya created some buzz with their feud back in January, so a rematch should be interesting. I think both guys have potential to be that fresh new guy for NOAH the way Kento was for All Japan, but only if they commit to one of them. I think I'd go with Kenoh personally but either one could be a good option, they're both pretty talented.

I thought Nakajima might be their guy for a while but it feels like that window may have passed. Those tag teams look kind of random to me but I like everyone involved. Masa Kitamiya in particular is an under the radar great talent.

Just coming up on the Misawa Memorial show now. I hear they're running something out there where it's the people old enough to remember Misawa against a new generation or something like that?

The Brain
    Wild that it's been 9 years since he passed. Don't think NOAH ever really recovered from that, even yet.

Been confirmed in the past couple of days that "Sugiura will defend the GHC Heavy belt against Kenoh on June 26th at the Korakuen Hall."

I guess this is a rematch of the one I saw where Sugiura won the title back in March.

The Brain
    Hope Kenoh takes it back! Really feels like they need to go all in on someone fresh. Sugiura's good but NOAH really needs to build that new generation up.

Dunno man, he did too many of those fighting spirit spots that ruin things for me, and they were pretty obnoxious ones even compared to the NJPW guys. So dunno if I can get on that train.

The Brain
    It's NOAH, so I feel like they all do that. It's just the house style, so might as well go with someone fresher doing them.

I perhaps don't know enough but in that match it seemed Sigiura was less offensive with it!

But yeah, speaking from a position of not much knowledge here.