Netflix Recommendations

So a thread for stuff to check out on Netflix if you haven't. They seem to be dropping originals at a rate of knots these days.

One think I love on Netflix is Santa Clarita Diet. Second season dropped recently and it has absolutely fantastic language. Best since the Inbetweeners for me!! Plus Drew Barrymore is always a delight.

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    I haven't seen that yet, will have to have a look.

For me there are few shows as dramatic and powerful as Thirteen Reasons Why.

When I watched it I saw myself, people I knew and situations I had been in during my high school years in every single character and story.

Bloody intense stuff but a very powerful story that says a lot about the way we treat each other. Season 2 is about to start in a weeks time so it is a pretty good time to get into it if you haven't seen it.

The IT crowd and Peep Show are my go tos on Netflix. They're British shows, so possibly not as well known over the pond, but definitely recommended. It Crowd especially, probably the best sitcom in a long time, and it's not exactly recent itself!

The Brain
    Anyone who hasn't watched Bojack Horseman is really missing out, I think. The first few episodes are a bit generic but by the end of the first season it really finds it's voice as a dark comedy that gives voice to some deep truths about the struggles of broken people, while still remaining incredibly clever and very funny when it wants to be.

I'll add Rick & Morty to the list of animated comedy. Very fun and most of the episodes work on a number of different levels.

Navigating Netflix is such a shit, this is a great idea for a thread. Think I'm going to stick it to the top of the board.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Currently watching "Suits" Season 7. Not the best show in the world, but this is one of the "wife's turn to pick a show" shows.

It's good and all, but actually quite bizarre watching Meghan Markle, what with her having a certain wedding coming up next week.

Speaking of royalty, we recently watched The Crown which was very good. Bit of a slow burner, but worth the watch. And I'm not even a royal family mark at all.
    Latest podcast - click the pic for the link.

Are Suits and Rick and Morty on Netflix? I'm not seeing them anywhere.

Not sure about R&M, but Suits definitely on the UK version at least.

The Brain
    Suits is on Hulu in the US, no go for Netflix.

Finished Suits on Friday night. (The night before the female lead in the show shoot married a prince - how's that for timing.

I'll be starting Safe tonight. Starring the guy who played Dexter in... Dexter. Anybody seen that?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I just finished Safe this evening! I enjoyed the mystery at the heart of it for sure, though I didn't think the story was very skillfully written, in terms of how the plots of episodes and actions of characters play out.

Watch Dark. Thank me later for recommending one of the greatest shows in television history.

We don't get Rick & Morty, or Suits on US Netflix. I've heard UK Netflix is waaaaaay better.

Avoid The Rain, the show starts well enough but slowly falls apart, where by the end of the last episode of the season you just sit there dumbfounded, wondering why it went in the mind numbingly stupid direction it did.

And avoid Titan (Netflix movie) as if your life depended on it. I am not kidding when I rank it as the single worst movie in cinematic history.

Oh and Miz is right, Bojack Horsemen is excellent.

And Trailer Park Boys is hilariously awesome as well. I'm almost done with season 9 and the show just seems to get funnier with each season.

I just finished the second seasons of Thirteen Reasons Why and it did some very interesting stuff. Haven't binged watched a show in quite that manner in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Watch Dark. Thank me later for recommending one of the greatest shows in television history.
    Dark is indescribably good.

Evil Genius is really good. 4 part documentary about a bank heist and various other crimes. Crazy and true story

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I just finished the second seasons of Thirteen Reasons Why and it did some very interesting stuff. Haven't binged watched a show in quite that manner in a long time.
    I heard it kind of glamorizes suicide. True or false?

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Mrs Clive & I have 13 Reasons Why up next on our to-watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    I just finished Safe this evening! I enjoyed the mystery at the heart of it for sure, though I didn't think the story was very skillfully written, in terms of how the plots of episodes and actions of characters play out.
    I'm exactly half way through. Hoping to catch 2 episodes tonight. Yeah I know what you mean. It's got something of a shock soap opera / whodunnit feel to it. It's not going to change the world, but I am enjoying it for what it is.

One big plus from me is that I am so wrapped up in the mystery of it all, that at times when the camera is panning to someone off camera or to another big reveal, I actually find myself craning my head in the same direction as the camera, willing the camera to hurry up. A daft thing I noticed myself doing, but it's a sign that I'm gripped.
    Last edited by 205 Clive; 05-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I heard it kind of glamorizes suicide. True or false?
    Hell no. Paints it in a pretty grim light I felt. The scene where she actually does it is brutal in a very disgusting way and the fallout scene where her parents find her is utterly horrific (amazing acting from the mother in particular though).

The Brain
    Maybe glamorizing is the wrong word... I guess what I heard is it's very explicit and the wrong person watching could almost use it as a how-to guide, at least that specific scene. Sounds like I might have gotten the wrong impression though!

Yeah a certain watching of it could be: this is how I can make people see how much I hurt and the suicide scene is absolutely very explicit and graphic, very disturbing scene to watch. Both times we watched it my wife has left the room and I have fast forwarded once the razor comes out.

I watched the entire documentary The Keepers. Highly recommend that one. So many layers and some hard hitting stuff.

The Brain
    Been watching the US version of Shameless recently and really enjoying it. Can't compare it to the original but William H Macy does a great job and it's a really strong ensemble cast overall.

Finished Safe last week and it was not bad. I called the end twist which I rarely ever do. Was quite chuffed with myself!

Started this 13 Reasons Why last night. Not bad so far. Still to see what all the massive fuss is about, but I'm willing to give it more time.

I've started watching Luke Cage season 2. Unlike most, I wasn't crazy about season one. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. And I have to say that I thought the first two episodes of S2 were dreadful. Ep 3 was an improvement in spite of some awful dialogue in one emotional scene in particular. Now on episode 4.

I don't know why people have loved Cage so much. The use of music in season one was cool, but has been really overegged this time around, and Coulter is a bit of a wooden actor quite frankly. Misty is awesome though.

Like Cage season one was ok until [spoiler]. Those who watched understands what I mean.

One show that didn’t let up at all was Punisher. That one was a crazy ride from start to finish. Kept me at the edge of my seat.

Currently just started season 3 of Dexter. I highly reccommend this show. It is very, very well written, very well acted, and is a beautiful blend of suspense and intrigue.

Way more gratuitous sex then I like in a show (Im no prude, but I find sex scenes without true value to the plot as the absolute lowest common denominator in cinema- a cheap trick by hack directors.) This show is brilliant though, despite that. Dexter is an amazing character. Watching the layers peel in his character development is truly awesome.

Dexter is a good show. I struggled in the first season, but came to love it and the characters. I thought seasons 4-6 were incredible.

Watched first season of Salem over last couple of weeks, and safe to say I won't be continuing. A very drab, wooendly acted show. Considering the subject matter, I was very disappointed in how lacking in stakes and atmosphere it was.

The Brain
    !!! I rarely hear anyone praise Dexter after season 4! I actually really enjoy the whole run and think the ending is overrated, though I do think it's more consistently good in the first half (though not perfect). I thought season 1 was one of the best though, surprising indeed!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, so apologies if it has, but I watched the first two episodes of Dark the other night, a German sci-fi / horror thriller type deal. A TV series, about 13 episodes in or something I think. It was really very good. Excellently written, compellingly directed and the music was fantastically moody. I thoroughly recommend it. Everything's wrapped up in some kind of weird time-travel deal, but mixed in with some good ol' Spielberg / King style teen adventuring.

When I started watching it, it was dubbed, but I'd recommend switching to the original German audio and just using subtitles. Something always gets lost in translation with dubs, I find.

Wait, you can do that?

Much more inclined to give it a go again now. Struggled with the dubbing the first time around. Someone definitely mentioned it before the reset though.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Yeah, when you have the menu that lets you select an episode there should be a settings or audio option at the bottom of the list (can't remember what it is called exactly) but that's where you can swap and change the options.

Pretty sure it was Kleck and Eddieg who were talking about it and brought it up. It really is a throughly great series. Believe there is a season two planned but not sure if it is going ahead. Would be a shame if it didn’t.

And ’Plan is right about it getting lost in translation. I find that to be true no matter what you watch. I’d rather have it in the original language and just have English subs. Drives me mental when the words don’t match up with the actors mouths. In regards to changing the audio if you’re watching on your phone it’s just the button up the top right that looks like a square and has writing in it. Just click on that for the audio settings for what language you want it in and the subtitles. If you’re watching on a laptop or tv I believe it’s the third from the right on the tab. Should be the same image I believe and next to the one where you can see the upcoming episodes.

Watched The Sinner the last few days. It was on USA this past year but I missed it. Good mystery show, 8 episodes long with Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel. Quite enjoyed it.

I remember there was a French parkour action film called District 13 in the mid noughties. The copy I had was overdubbed, and it really took me out of it. I found the subtitles on the DVD and they weren't much better. Mind you, for anyone who's seen District 13, does the story matter one bit?