Netflix Recommendations

So a thread for stuff to check out on Netflix if you haven't. They seem to be dropping originals at a rate of knots these days.

One think I love on Netflix is Santa Clarita Diet. Second season dropped recently and it has absolutely fantastic language. Best since the Inbetweeners for me!! Plus Drew Barrymore is always a delight.

I haven't seen that yet, will have to have a look.

For me there are few shows as dramatic and powerful as Thirteen Reasons Why.

When I watched it I saw myself, people I knew and situations I had been in during my high school years in every single character and story.

Bloody intense stuff but a very powerful story that says a lot about the way we treat each other. Season 2 is about to start in a weeks time so it is a pretty good time to get into it if you haven't seen it.

The IT crowd and Peep Show are my go tos on Netflix. They're British shows, so possibly not as well known over the pond, but definitely recommended. It Crowd especially, probably the best sitcom in a long time, and it's not exactly recent itself!

The Brain
    Anyone who hasn't watched Bojack Horseman is really missing out, I think. The first few episodes are a bit generic but by the end of the first season it really finds it's voice as a dark comedy that gives voice to some deep truths about the struggles of broken people, while still remaining incredibly clever and very funny when it wants to be.

I'll add Rick & Morty to the list of animated comedy. Very fun and most of the episodes work on a number of different levels.

Navigating Netflix is such a shit, this is a great idea for a thread. Think I'm going to stick it to the top of the board.

Currently watching "Suits" Season 7. Not the best show in the world, but this is one of the "wife's turn to pick a show" shows.

It's good and all, but actually quite bizarre watching Meghan Markle, what with her having a certain wedding coming up next week.

Speaking of royalty, we recently watched The Crown which was very good. Bit of a slow burner, but worth the watch. And I'm not even a royal family mark at all.

Are Suits and Rick and Morty on Netflix? I'm not seeing them anywhere.

Not sure about R&M, but Suits definitely on the UK version at least.

The Brain
    Suits is on Hulu in the US, no go for Netflix.

Finished Suits on Friday night. (The night before the female lead in the show shoot married a prince - how's that for timing.

I'll be starting Safe tonight. Starring the guy who played Dexter in... Dexter. Anybody seen that?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I just finished Safe this evening! I enjoyed the mystery at the heart of it for sure, though I didn't think the story was very skillfully written, in terms of how the plots of episodes and actions of characters play out.

Watch Dark. Thank me later for recommending one of the greatest shows in television history.

We don't get Rick & Morty, or Suits on US Netflix. I've heard UK Netflix is waaaaaay better.

Avoid The Rain, the show starts well enough but slowly falls apart, where by the end of the last episode of the season you just sit there dumbfounded, wondering why it went in the mind numbingly stupid direction it did.

And avoid Titan (Netflix movie) as if your life depended on it. I am not kidding when I rank it as the single worst movie in cinematic history.

Oh and Miz is right, Bojack Horsemen is excellent.

And Trailer Park Boys is hilariously awesome as well. I'm almost done with season 9 and the show just seems to get funnier with each season.

I just finished the second seasons of Thirteen Reasons Why and it did some very interesting stuff. Haven't binged watched a show in quite that manner in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Watch Dark. Thank me later for recommending one of the greatest shows in television history.
    Dark is indescribably good.

Evil Genius is really good. 4 part documentary about a bank heist and various other crimes. Crazy and true story

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I just finished the second seasons of Thirteen Reasons Why and it did some very interesting stuff. Haven't binged watched a show in quite that manner in a long time.
    I heard it kind of glamorizes suicide. True or false?

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Mrs Clive & I have 13 Reasons Why up next on our to-watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    I just finished Safe this evening! I enjoyed the mystery at the heart of it for sure, though I didn't think the story was very skillfully written, in terms of how the plots of episodes and actions of characters play out.
    I'm exactly half way through. Hoping to catch 2 episodes tonight. Yeah I know what you mean. It's got something of a shock soap opera / whodunnit feel to it. It's not going to change the world, but I am enjoying it for what it is.

One big plus from me is that I am so wrapped up in the mystery of it all, that at times when the camera is panning to someone off camera or to another big reveal, I actually find myself craning my head in the same direction as the camera, willing the camera to hurry up. A daft thing I noticed myself doing, but it's a sign that I'm gripped.
    Last edited by 205 Clive; 4 Days Ago at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I heard it kind of glamorizes suicide. True or false?
    Hell no. Paints it in a pretty grim light I felt. The scene where she actually does it is brutal in a very disgusting way and the fallout scene where her parents find her is utterly horrific (amazing acting from the mother in particular though).

The Brain
    Maybe glamorizing is the wrong word... I guess what I heard is it's very explicit and the wrong person watching could almost use it as a how-to guide, at least that specific scene. Sounds like I might have gotten the wrong impression though!

Yeah a certain watching of it could be: this is how I can make people see how much I hurt and the suicide scene is absolutely very explicit and graphic, very disturbing scene to watch. Both times we watched it my wife has left the room and I have fast forwarded once the razor comes out.

I watched the entire documentary The Keepers. Highly recommend that one. So many layers and some hard hitting stuff.