The PEN15 Memorial Horror Thread

I liked the name of this on the old board so I thought I'd get it up and running with the same title.

I'm going to have to leave it to the serious horror-heads to sustain the thread, but I thought I'd mention that I saw a Stephen King adaptation is in pre-production. Another version of Pet Sematary, due out next year. Presumably Tasha Yar won't be in this one.

I know it's only just been announced, but I am excited to see how the new Jordan Peele movie shapes up.

Announced as a 'new nightmare' the other day, the movie is called 'Us'. The only people linked to it have been Lupita Nyong’o, Elisabeth Moss and Winston Duke, and set for release in 2019.

The Brain
    After Get Out, I'm ready for anything Peele can put together. I'm afraid a target will be on the back of the film though, there was already backlash from some about Get Out being nominated for an Oscar for not being "the right kind of film".

I'm down for a better version of Pet Sematary, I didn't dislike the more famous version but I think a better one can be done. What I want most is for it to include the scene where the protagonist goes back to the burial ground on his own and encounters that nightmarish creature in the mist. Actually, what I want MOST is for a Stephen King Cinematic Universe to exist, something that connects his films the same way many of his books have subtle connections.

I am so sick of Hollywood remaking films that do not need remakes. No need to remake Pet Semetary. Just come up with a new idea. I am going to see A Quiet Place tomorrow. Hopefully it is good.

How are the horror fans feeling about the remake of Suspiria, now the trailer is out?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Never heard of it, but a little googling has piqued my interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    How are the horror fans feeling about the remake of Suspiria, now the trailer is out?
    Uggggghhhh. Whhhhhhhy? It's like when a band covers a Led Zeppelin song, you just know it is completely impossible for them to match or top the original.

Widely regarded as one of the single greatest horror movies ever made, by a legendary horror director. This remake has no hopes but to be a cheap knock off. And it kinda makes me sad that they're even trying.

I'm most looking forward to Hereditary. I'm hearing some eye opening reviews from some very respected horror critics.

The Brain
    The original is that good? I'm gonna have to put it on my list!

Yeah, Hereditary is something I'm definitely gonna have to try to see. Upgrade looks like it might be good too.

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Halloween movie trailer now that it has been released?
    Last edited by Nodqfan; 06-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.

The Brain
    Gotta admit, I didn't watch it. Was put off by the Rob Zombie films and at this point I'm leaning towards leaving the memories alone. Might give it a look eventually but my hype is not that strong right now.

I see there's another one coming out, so what do people think of The Purge movies?

The Brain
    I've never seen one, but at some point I'll probably give them a look. Would be curious to know if they are more survival/thriller style or just lingering shots of people being tortured in horrible ways with no hope of escape.

The Purge franchise is remarkably good. The first one was original and pretty damn good.

Purge 2: Anarchy was effective and expanded on the original, but not as good.

Election Year also was good. Again not great, and explained more, but was effective as a third part of the series.

The First Purge looks interesting, and I think it will be more political than the other three.

So.... anyone watched Babadook? Wanna get philosophical with me?

The Brain
    I really liked that movie!! What've you got to say about it?

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, watch it! It will make you do a lot of thinking after the credits. Arguably one of the better horror movies to come out in the past couple decades. The way it character builds, the nuances, sounds, pacing are all superb. There are a couple goofy shots (like the CGI filled bedroom scene) but they are very few and far between, which is great considering they worked with a much, much smaller budget than most Horror films do. The experience alone makes it a must watch for anyone who claims to be a fan of the horror genre.

SPOILERS

Okay. So I know what the ending/overall meaning of the movie is supposed to be. Though left open to interpretation, it is the physical manifestation of grief. Though I picked up on an alternate meaning, and it seems almost too fitting to be a coincedence. I wonder if they left the movie open like this in spots specifically to draw parallels like this, but the end made me think that the woman was actually suffering from Schizophrenia, and killed her son.

There is a scene right at the end, and I have to watch it again to confirm what I thought I saw, but in the garden, as she is planting, the first split second of that shot is underground, and it appears to very briefly show small human remains. This is the shot right before the magic trick at the end.

If you notice, after the final showdown in the house, when Babadook retreats to the basement, every scene after that is shot with a seemingly different lens than all the scenes before- almost a glossy, light capturing, dream sequence lens. It is most noticeable in the shot of her picking up her son from the neighbor ladies house, and the final shot, the magic trick scene. And if you look at her face while she is hugging her son at the very end, you can see that she is a mixture of happy, unhinged, and almost remorseful. That fits for both endings, but it works too well within the schizo narrative. Like she was almost relieved to know that he was dead, and she only had to revisit him in her memories, as if she blames everything wrong in her world on that poor boy. Like she can finally look back at him fondly now that she doesnt have to deal with him anymore.

And her face. People say she looked happy, I say, considering that scene is supposed to be in the midst of the most peaceful/happy moments of her life since her husband died, she looks pretty ragged still. Bags under eyes, puffy like she was crying, she still looks burnt out and stressed. Like the demon is definitely still there, and perhaps she only took back control of herself and her life when she killed her son, which we as the audience mistake as the moment when she protects her son, and drives Babadook away. Babadook only lessens because she finally killed him. Babadook was her anger and resentment towards who she thought ruined her perfect existence. Her son.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the parallel between her gardening where she was, collecting the worms, and then feeding Babadook in her basement. It is almost as if she annually digs up her son to keep her anger at bay- a physical representation to prove to her own inner demons that her son is gone. Then she goes to the room filled with her husbands stuff in that moment to think back fondly on her husband- a time where finally she can think about him, a time that cannot be tainted by her son any longer. She dares not ever enter that room while her son was alive. Now that he is dead, she can finally do so (relatively) peacefully
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 07-21-2018 at 04:52 AM.

A Quiet Place- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I just watched this, and all I'm gonna say, is a parent didn't write this.

As a parent the suspense is completely ruined. Numerous times. Tons of plot holes. Some good moments, but if you're a parent this is more comedy than anything.

P.s. babies cry....

A lot.

P.p.s toddlers suck. Loudest beings in Earth's history.

So.... (crickets) anyone else like horror movies?

I watched 2 within the last 5 days or so, The Descent and IT.

Descent was pretty damn good. The suspense was awesome, character development was a bit lacking, but the creatures were done really well. Only a few ugh moments. It seems every movie now, especially horror, has one cringeworthy CGI scene. This movie was no exception, but overall this movie is 100% worth watching as a horror fan. Edit: I will say though, I've only seen the US ending, as apparently there are two endings to the movie. I will say the US ending is disjointed and not great. I'll have to check out the other ending, as I've heard it is as the movie was intended originally.

IT. I was really, really skeptical of this remake. I LOVE Tim Curry, so seeing them remake anything he was in is asking a lot. Having said that I loved this movie. Minus the above mentioned awful CGI scene, this movie exceeded expectations big time. Tim Curry was a much better Pennywise, however Skarsgard did a very good job making the clown his own. And the movie overall is great. Highly recommended. Though as a warning to parents, this movie will touch on some of your biggest fears. I look forward to the sequel for sure. I hope they jump ahead 30+ years and have the characters reprise their roles as parents.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 08-14-2018 at 11:53 PM.

The sequel to IT will jump 30 years into the future, with the kids reprising their roles.

Also Slender Man was terrible, do not waste your time.

I saw they are calling this house with a clock in it's wall things a 'starter horror movie'. Thoughts?

No way. It looks like a Goosebumps Movie but not Goosebumps. The trailers are geared at kids from 8-14. Both of my daughters who are 11 and 13 want to see it. It is NOT in any way a starter horror movie.