The PEN15 Memorial Horror Thread

I liked the name of this on the old board so I thought I'd get it up and running with the same title.

I'm going to have to leave it to the serious horror-heads to sustain the thread, but I thought I'd mention that I saw a Stephen King adaptation is in pre-production. Another version of Pet Sematary, due out next year. Presumably Tasha Yar won't be in this one.

I know it's only just been announced, but I am excited to see how the new Jordan Peele movie shapes up.

Announced as a 'new nightmare' the other day, the movie is called 'Us'. The only people linked to it have been Lupita Nyong’o, Elisabeth Moss and Winston Duke, and set for release in 2019.

The Brain
    After Get Out, I'm ready for anything Peele can put together. I'm afraid a target will be on the back of the film though, there was already backlash from some about Get Out being nominated for an Oscar for not being "the right kind of film".

I'm down for a better version of Pet Sematary, I didn't dislike the more famous version but I think a better one can be done. What I want most is for it to include the scene where the protagonist goes back to the burial ground on his own and encounters that nightmarish creature in the mist. Actually, what I want MOST is for a Stephen King Cinematic Universe to exist, something that connects his films the same way many of his books have subtle connections.

I am so sick of Hollywood remaking films that do not need remakes. No need to remake Pet Semetary. Just come up with a new idea. I am going to see A Quiet Place tomorrow. Hopefully it is good.

How are the horror fans feeling about the remake of Suspiria, now the trailer is out?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Never heard of it, but a little googling has piqued my interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    How are the horror fans feeling about the remake of Suspiria, now the trailer is out?
    Uggggghhhh. Whhhhhhhy? It's like when a band covers a Led Zeppelin song, you just know it is completely impossible for them to match or top the original.

Widely regarded as one of the single greatest horror movies ever made, by a legendary horror director. This remake has no hopes but to be a cheap knock off. And it kinda makes me sad that they're even trying.

I'm most looking forward to Hereditary. I'm hearing some eye opening reviews from some very respected horror critics.

The Brain
    The original is that good? I'm gonna have to put it on my list!

Yeah, Hereditary is something I'm definitely gonna have to try to see. Upgrade looks like it might be good too.

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Halloween movie trailer now that it has been released?
    Last edited by Nodqfan; 06-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.

The Brain
    Gotta admit, I didn't watch it. Was put off by the Rob Zombie films and at this point I'm leaning towards leaving the memories alone. Might give it a look eventually but my hype is not that strong right now.

I see there's another one coming out, so what do people think of The Purge movies?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I've never seen one, but at some point I'll probably give them a look. Would be curious to know if they are more survival/thriller style or just lingering shots of people being tortured in horrible ways with no hope of escape.

The Purge franchise is remarkably good. The first one was original and pretty damn good.

Purge 2: Anarchy was effective and expanded on the original, but not as good.

Election Year also was good. Again not great, and explained more, but was effective as a third part of the series.

The First Purge looks interesting, and I think it will be more political than the other three.