Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Brain
    Cavernario vs. Titan from 2/22 is my Mexico MOTY so far but I'm excited to check Virus/Metalico out to see if it tops it! LOVE Virus, don't know much about Metalico but all I've heard is he went all out for his last showing.

You're gonna have to update your Mexico MOTY list mizfan. Hell you're gonna have to update your worldwide MOTY list period. See the AAA thread!

The Brain
    I love your lucha enthusiasm as always, Colt!

Just sharing some quick thoughts about a few CMLL I watched recently. All matches were discussed on The Global Revolution, which I highly recommend to listen to for additional thoughts on them as well.

Metálico v Virus
    CMLL 05-31-2019

https://youtu.be/n0MgEkbf6Tg?t=2174
    I know nothing about CMLL or it's wrestlers, and I don't really speak Spanish nor Mexican (luckily it's pretty close to French so I still can grab some words). So, understanding storylines is not that easy. These overhead camera shot are so nice, you can get a different perspective from moves that you can't get any other way. My favorite thing when I see wrestling live is to look at the things the camera doesn't show me on tv! Back on this match, lucha wrestling just showed that older wrestler doesn't necessarly mean slower matches like I was used to in WWE. These two can still go at it, and obviously by the end of the fight, the pace has slowed. I also enjoyed the big chops they exchanged, they had a purpose, not only time filler. The match felt highly emotional from the wrestlers and the crowd, as I think I understood it was a career match, where the loser was going to retire. I could be wrong... There is no real break in the match from either man to catch their breathe, the match feels really fluid and well thought out. For a while, Metálico has the upper hand but I had no idea who was going to win the match in the end. It's some good back and forth wrestling. In the closing stage, that suicide dive was almost a complete splat on the floor. outch! The crowd really was into the match and made it much more enjoyable for me to watch in a foreign language. Nice submission at the end!

Místico v Cavernario
    CMLL 05-24-2019

https://youtu.be/8-PaL2HSIdc?t=6529
    This match starts with a classic from lucha wrestling : attack on the mask. While it has no consequence in WWE, here the unmasking results in a DQ. Good thing to know before I dive more into it. We get some really nice sequence of mat wrestling, which is, when done well, really a good way to start a match. I got warned by Mizfan a while ago that in 2 out of 3 falls, the first fall often comes quickly. It was the case here. Even after the first fall, Cavernario keeps going and allows no time for Místico to rest. When they fight outside the ring, there is quite a lot of room and to be fair, WWE cameramen are better at rolling up their cables lol. Shortly after that, Cavernario loses the second fall by DQ for unmasking Místico. Up until that point, Místico has had literally NO offensive moves at all. That was distracting for me, how am I supposed to believe he can win the 3rd fall when he has done nothing to attack his opponent. I'm really not a fan of that. Suddenly though, Místico gathers a bit of momentum when he does an impressive dive over the top rope. The overhead camera also gives an impressive shot of the dive. Really liked Cavernario character work and how rough around the edges he felt. Impressive win for the smaller lucha, even though he only won one fall (the other one was DQ).

That's it for my thoughts on the 2 CMLL matches that were discussed, the third match can be found in the AAA thread!

Until next time,
    Cathe

The Brain
    Really enjoy getting an outside perspective on these matches and how they translate! Though if you keep checking out matches like these, you won't be a lucha outsider for long. You got it right that Virus/Metalico was a career vs. career match, and what's more one wrestler was 49 and the other 50. God bless the lucha style which protects the bodies of the workers! There are more awesome old guys in lucha than in any other style, for sure. Interesting point on the Mistico/Cavernario match that Mistico got so bulldozed early on that it was tough to believe he could make a comeback. I think I actually dig that because a lot of matches in 2019 seem to be about 50/50, so watching one guy get a huge advantage can work well, especially if it's Cavernario and he's putting out some amazing offensive moves. I appreciated that Mistico took some big risks to get the upper hand again, if he didn't pull out the stops he couldn't have recovered. Really liked the post!

I bring sad news. For those who missed it yesterday, CMLL's owner and president Paco Alonso passed away at the age of 67. He had been running the promotion since at least the mid 80's and was best known for being a really reclusive, loyal owner and for being the longest enduring power figure in wrestling besides Vince McMahon. It's expect his daughter Sofia will take over his position, though that isn't confirmed.

The Brain
    Very sad news, and also a bit unexpected from what I gather since he wasn't that old, but as private as he was I guess it's not totally shocking. From all I've seen his booking wasn't perfect, but few if anyone has kept a promotion in a consistently good position for 30+ years the way he did.

I do wonder if some of his rules about who not to book will now loosen up further, they already brought LA Park back once after all. Will be a potentially interesting transition.

Paco was less a booker and more active on the business front, though he did contribute creatively here and there. So he's really not been in charge of the booking CMLL has done recently; that's been a committee that includes a bunch of retired luchadores and MAYBE Blue Panther and Ultimo Guerrero (who I know do have input). I expect that committee will start to see different faces once we get past the Aniversario in September.

It was officially announced today that Paco's daughter, Sofia, will be the new director of CMLL and is in charge of the promotion. She's 28 years old, has been in charge of marketing for CMLL over the past few years and has generally been CMLL's public face for the past few years, appearing at certain ceremonies and even representing the company in Japan during FantasticaMania. She's also a HUGE lucha fan; not only have I seen her in the front row of several CMLL shows but she's been known to attend several indie shows, including a few at IWRG's home base Arena Naucalpan. I anticipate she'll be more hands on than her father, for better or worse. Either way, this move makes her one of the first women to ever be in charge of a promotion (Marisela Pena has power in AAA but is largely a figurehead while Dorian Roldan and Konnan run the promotion) and I would say makes her the most powerful woman in wrestling. A cool moment, though it's a shame what led to her gaining that power.

A sad moment is wrestling history. I can't say that it didn't seem like CMLL was preparing for this moment, as 67 is young, maybe Paco was preparing to retire or be even more hands off in his older age. I don't know. They have a system in place which is good and it will be interesting for the near future. Like all changes, there is uncertainty, but Sofia I think can be called the most powerfully woman in wrestling. She takes over the oldest promotion in the world, and one of the top 4 global brands in wrestling. I'm interested to see what comes of this.

A lot has happened since we last chatted in here. We can talk more about the CMLL power struggle going forward but for now, STAR JR. HAS MADE THE LEAP!

The Brain
    Really happy for Star Jr, I haven't seen him much but he clearly seemed more talented that many other stuck in the CMLL death slot. Glad they can figure out how to push someone every now and then!