Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre

A thread to discuss the oldest wrestling promotion still in existence, formerly EMLL and since the 1990s the World Wrestling Council, or CMLL.

I'm sure there'll be some videos in here before too long, if history is anything to go by!

The Brain
    Big fan of CMLL, there's way too much for me to watch all of it but I make a point to cherry pick some of the most interesting looking stuff. My favorite guy running right now is El Barbaro Cavernario but you can't go wrong with a lot of the top guys. I know Cult will stump for Soberano who is quickly growing on me, and you'd do yourself a favor if you look up guys like Volador, Valiente, Dragon Lee, Hechicero, Ultimo Guerrero, and of course the all time legend Negro Casas, just to name a few.

Never have watched any wrestling from it but I give it respect just on the strength of it being the oldest promotion around - even predates WWE by 20 years (1932 to 1952).

Twitter: @libsuperstar

I've have put money on their being about six videos in here by now!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Monday and Tuesday show's both sucked, what do you want from me?! This and the AAA thread will be more active on Friday because they'll be going head to head, with CMLL holding the Gran Alternativa Final while AAA has their first show since Konnan's return as head of creative last month. Both look really good on paper.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I've have put money on their being about six videos in here by now!
    Any requests, Pete? Did you ever watch that Azteca/Dandy match from the old thread?

He may want to keep up with the new stuff first! I'm happy to report that LA Park returned to CMLL last night in a surprise angle and that, barring an unfortunate occurrence, the main event of the 85th Aniversario on September 14th will be a mask vs. hair match between Park and Rush. You know, the guy Park had this match with a few years ago.

I'll have more to say after I actually watch the whole show but for now, REJOICE FOR THE CHAIRMAN HAS RETURNED!

The Brain
    That's a hell of an awesome thing!! I saw their match from last year but not the one you posted, so gonna have to watch that ASAP. Awesome pick up for CMLL, things seem to be going great in lucha libre right now!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Any requests, Pete? Did you ever watch that Azteca/Dandy match from the old thread?
    Can't say I did, thanks for reminding me actually. Afraid I fell hard down the rabbithole of 1988 NWA/WCW and between that and keeping up with the stuff the mrs wants to watch (I KNEW IT WAS A MISTAKE GETTING HER INVOLVED!) it takes up pretty much all my wrestling time. Now you've put it back on my radar, I will get around to it, though!

Surprised Oliver hasn't been in with all the Parka mentions...

By the way, do we think it's worth sticking this thread to the top of the board? I know it won't get the traffic of an LU thread but it seemed to go pretty well last time...

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Here's the match again, for you or anyone else who wants to watch it! I'll say again that it's honestly my favorite lucha match of all time, so hopefully people find some enjoyment out of it.

I know Cult and others are absolutely loving the LA Park return to CMLL. I'm gonna try to make time to check it out for myself this week, I've really enjoyed Park's stuff with Rush in the last couple years and this'll be their biggest stage yet. He's not exactly known for sticking around in any one place for long (by choice or by circumstance) but I do hope he sticks around CMLL long enough to have a few more big matches. Something with Negro Casas would be awesome.

Stickied or not, I feel like the traffic will be about the same, but feel free to try it if you like Pete!

I think being the oldest promotion in the world and the second biggest promotion in North America secures its stickiness. Well that and the fact that LA Park is going to put 10K in Arena Mexico two weeks in a row.

The Brain
    I did seek out the link for the LA Park return show yesterday, absolutely gonna watch the match this weekend! Feeling very hyped about it! CMLL has an awesome (and huge) roster but seeing guys from outside come in and freshen things up is awesome too. Cult, did I see that guys like El Satanico, Solar, and Fuerza Guerrera have made recent appearances too? Or did the internet lie to me?

Did anyone else catch that CMLL show? That was some serious top notch Lucha.

Last night was one of the best shows I've ever seen and probably the best CMLL show since the 81st Aniversario. Unbelievable. LA Park vs. Rush was right up there with Omega-Okada for me and it's only going to get better once they do the mask vs. hair match. That would've been more than enough but almost everything else was terrific too! Fenix, Hijo de LA Park and Volador vs. Cavernario, Negro Casas and Mr. Niebla was somewhat sloppy but was overall a lot of fun and the Panthers vs. Dragon Rojo Jr., Hechicero and Polvora would've been the best match of almost any other CMLL show this year. 57 YEAR OLD BLUE PANTHER DID A CROWD DIVE! What a show. There is nothing better in wrestling right now than CMLL on Friday nights and no one even knows it!

That dive shot for LA park is awesome

The Brain
    Absolutely loving the LA Park stuff in CMLL. Incredible that he's suddenly the king of lucha again, he never stopped having great matches but all of sudden he's on top of the world and he deserves it.

I haven't been online much because my father had a fall and he broke his back. So I've been helping him out. But while I'm back home, my wife and I went to San Diego for a little trip. I'm not saying I bought a LA Park mask, but I can't deny that a LA Park mask is in my trunk right now. Dude has be on fire and when I have a chance I'm catching up on everything.

The Brain
    Sorry to hear about your dad, LWO, I hope he's on the road to recovery. Surely he was part of what turned you on to wrestling as a child, you could watch some LA Park together and feel the healing effects of the Chairman!

So Penta and Park have met before... but would they ever team up to fight Los Ingobernables??

The Brain
    That looks awesome!! Gonna slap that right on my to watch list!

Also, I am all about a ninja skeleton team facing off against IG.

It would print money!

The Brain
    It seems like they already are! I heard they hit record attendance for the year to date with 12,500 recently. Adding Penta in seems like it will only bring more amazingness.

CMLL is really catching fire. I'm going to catch up on the last 3 weeks I missed with being in California with my dad's injury. Everything I've heard the last 3 weeks, I am so hyped!

The Brain
    Yeah, I just made a list of must watch matches from recent weeks, including Fenix/Cavernario and Rush/Park, plus gotta catch Penta's debut!

The Brain
    So, I heard that the August 3rd CMLL show is gonna have the Briscoes and Rush against LA Park, Fenix, and Pentagon. I'm not wild about the Briscoes but I can't deny that they could fit right in with a lucha-style brawl, and with the Lucha Brothers officially on board with Park against Los Ingoberables I'm feeling even more hyped that before! Plus Volador/Taven II and the Negro Casas' 40th Anniversary match, he with Atlantis and Blue Panther against Octagon, Fuerza Guerrera and El Solar... that's one hell of a show!

They are making my dreams come true!

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO CMLL?!

...can you not see the picture of Okada?

The Brain
    Haha, it did not load for me for some reason. Very cool!!

Amazing! CMLL is killing it right now.

We lost Villano III today. I know he's not well known in the US but in Mexico Villano III is considered to be one of the greatest luchadores to ever live and the best worker in one of the greatest wrestling dynasties of all time (Los Villanos). He was also involved in what I feel to be one of the three greatest matches of all time (along with the recent Okada-Omega match and Can-Am Express vs. Kobashi/Kikuchi), when he lost to Atlantis in 2000. An absolutely must see classic.

You will be missed Villano III. What an awful day.

The Brain
    I remember seeing him at Triplemania a few years back, in the much maligned match with the Clowns. Obviously not his best work but it was good to see him regardless. I had no idea he was in bad shape, I imagined him like I imagine so many other great luchadors, quietly working awesome matches in random places until he's 70. RIP indeed.

A sad day. I didn't know he was in poor health. I pray for him and his family, and the Lucha world lost a true giant.

Hey guys! This is late notice but CMLL's 85th Aniversario is tonight! Yes it's still very disappointing that LA Park vs. Rush won't be happening but the card does look pretty good overall. Here it is if you're interested.

La Jarochita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit vs. Dalys, Metálica, Reyna Isis
    Ángel de Oro, Audaz, Niebla Roja vs. Felino, Mephisto, Negro Casas (this will be Casas' 27th consecutive appearance on the Aniversario)
    Atlantis, Mistico, Soberano Jr. vs. Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
    Ciber the Main Man (Cibernetico), Scharly Rock Star (Charly Manson), The Chris (El Zorro) vs. Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Ultimo Guerrero for the CMLL World Trios Championships
    Caristico (the original Sin Cara), El Hijo de LA Park, LA Park (original La Parka!) vs. Diamante Azul, King Phoenix (Lucha Underground's Fenix), Pena El Zero M (LU's Pentagon Dark)
    Matt Taven and Volador Jr. vs. Cavernario and Rush in a hair vs. hair match (both members of the losing team lose their hair)

The show should begin around 9:30 and will be available on Internet Pay Per View for $10 (you can get it here) or at Honor Club if you're a subscriber. It'll also be available on demand at Honor Club as well. If you can't watch, never fear; I'll be doing a live review of the show at my own site so you can follow along there! Here's my preview if you're interested.

The Brain
    Very disappointed about the Rush/Park situation, but still looks like some really good stuff on that card. Fenix and Penta across the ring from Park in this setting is exciting in and of itself!

I thought it was a good show overall; not my usual cuppa, but not a bad change of pace for me. Best match was the semi-main with a fantastic third fall and the main event was pretty great, as well right up to the finish. Like Cult, I am very perplexed by Taven's actions. Thought he was the best I have ever seen him, though. He worked his ass off.

Bah Gawd he's done it again! LA Park went to Arena Puebla tonight and together with his son (Hijo de LA Park), Ultimo Guerrero, Rush, Cavernario and Rush's hanger on dad had another instant classic that you need to see (LWO and Heisenberg, if that's his real name, will back me up on this!). Start at 1:29:45 (fair warning; the entrances take a bit) and let gravity do the rest.

How can anyone beat Park in the PWI 500 next year? He’s on another level right now.

Yes, PWI is a work and will go to Kenny again. Blah.