RIP King Kong Bundy

RIP King Kong Bundy. He was fun to watch in the 80's with his one moment on top of the world in a cage match in the main event at Wrestlemania 2 against Hogan, with a special cage designed to support his weight.

As Gorilla Monsoon loved to call him: A Walking Condominium.

Tonight on Smackdown, they should ring the bell 5 times for him, as that is always how he wanted the count.

Moving this one out to General Wrestling. Mainly because it was diving around watching his stuff elsewhere that gave me a whole new appreciation for him, and I imagine that people might want to talk about Mid South or World Class when they want to talk about the memories of the guy.

RIP indeed. Always had the sense that he doesn't have the enduring reputation that he deserved.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Growing up in the 80s and totally believing in kayfabe at the time, Bundy was well appreciated. I remember the build to WM2 and all of the Bundy/Hogan stuff. Bundy was "feared".

When Bundy came down on SNME and interfered in the Don Muraco/Hogan match, and then Bundy avalanched Hogan in the corner with Muraco holding Hogan's arms 3 times, then Bundy splashing Hogan with Muraco "pushing him down" twice...you really believed that Hogan was hurt.

Bundy could have been a really dominant heel, but in the 80s he was fed to Hogan.

Here is the video of that match....

The Brain
    Sad to hear, definitely got appreciation for Bundy. A surprisingly quick big man in an era of mostly lumbering giants. That attack on Hogan is a great one, really heated up the WM2 main event. The attack on Andre was also a classic. It's a damn shame Vince torpedoed his career after he did those commercials. Someone feel free to link some of his non-WWF stuff that you like, as I haven't seen much of that.

The Andre attack:

Which lead to probably my favorite Bundy singles match in the WWF:

Super fun bonus match, the Heenan Family (Bundy, Studd, & Heenan) vs. Andre & Hogan:

RIP to Bundy. Enjoyed calling him on WWF: TLS. He was on top just before WWF really hit their stride, but he and Hogan lifted it halfway there in their feud.

The Brain
    Even that might be underselling it, '86 was HUGE for the WWF expansion and Bundy did great business with Hogan, who rode that to an even bigger wave of business with Orndorff and then of course the record breaking Andre match.

RIP Bundy. I wouldn't even have thought I was going to hear Bundy's death in 2019. 61 Years old just seems so young to die, and I've heard nothing of health problems. Sad. My first PPV watching was Wrestlemania 2, and I'd rent that VHS every time we went to the video store. To me, Bundy was a monster, and until Wrestlemania 3, I didn't think Hogan could beat anyone bigger. RIP.

You don't take your name from just anyone. This one hurt. Rip.