Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Iken, my mutter, you know they’re going to pull a CMLL.

The Brain
    Love the idea of more MSG shows for other promotions! Although yes, there's plenty of time for stuff to go wrong. Here's hoping though!

Cool to see my story on AAA drawing 5.4 million viewers on the main page here. It's legit too; 5.4 million viewers on Good Friday for the Lucha Brothers vs. Young Bucks match.

I have my issues with AAA, have for almost a decade. But putting the belts on the Young Bucks was one of the best business decisions they ever could have made. It's laughable that people thought this would kill AAA. Who's take was that, dumb white people who only know lucha through Lucha Underground?

So with AAA getting 5.4 million viewers for the Young Bucks vs. the Lucha Bros. which is more viewers than any WWE TV in a long time, Should WWE be worried?

It was a group of people who only follow AAA through Botchamania highlights or didn't follow them at all and just decided to talk out of their ass because they hate The Young Bucks. I still can't get over that whole thing. These people had the gall to say the Young Bucks winning some tag titles was going to ruin AAA and not, you know, the 2016-early 2018 period when AAA was unwatchable, the Jeff Jarrett Mega Championship reign and countless other atrocities. It just clearly showed these people making those claims either only paid attention to AAA when they appeared on Botchamania or didn't pay attention at all. What a shame because AAA has been the most entertaining promotion in 2019 and has had, by my money, the best show of the year (their February 10th show in Tepic).

Come on LWO; if there's one thing WWE is used to over the past twenty years, it's being clowned by AAA in some form. Remember when they were outdrawing WWE in the states in the 90's?! Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    It was a group of people who only follow AAA through Botchamania highlights or didn't follow them at all and just decided to talk out of their ass because they hate The Young Bucks. I still can't get over that whole thing. These people had the gall to say the Young Bucks winning some tag titles was going to ruin AAA and not, you know, the 2016-early 2018 period when AAA was unwatchable, the Jeff Jarrett Mega Championship reign and countless other atrocities. It just clearly showed these people making those claims either only paid attention to AAA when they appeared on Botchamania or didn't pay attention at all. What a shame because AAA has been the most entertaining promotion in 2019 and has had, by my money, the best show of the year (their February 10th show in Tepic).
    Yeah, if AAA couldn't kill themselves for a while, then the Young Bucks wouldn't... LMAO.

They've been better. I just get so confused when people hate on them. Hey, I was there since the 90's, back for Los Gringos Locos (A brake when I moved to MN because I refused to pay extra for Spanish TV, and didn't watch until they got on Twitch). I can bitch about AAA the same way everyone else bitches about WWE... LOL. 5.4 Million people though... that's HUGE.

Come on LWO; if there's one thing WWE is used to over the past twenty years, it's being clowned by AAA in some form. Remember when they were outdrawing WWE in the states in the 90's?! Great times.
    I remember AAA selling out the LA Sports Arena, and the largest crowd WWF got in 1994 was 7,000... LMAO. (I didn't know the WWF's numbers until now, I had to look them up. But I will always remember that LA event for AAA, it was a HUGE deal back then in Southern California for wrestling fans.)

It'll be a huge deal again soon. After they're done with MSG AAA is planning on returning to Los Angeles this fall. I believe it'll be in the Forum.

It's funny, because for as long as CMLL has been around, and no matter how bad AAA got in the mid-2010's, the amount of fan capital AAA built in the 90's was so great, that fans in California just know to always check for AAA. I fully expect the LA to sell out very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    So with AAA getting 5.4 million viewers for the Young Bucks vs. the Lucha Bros. which is more viewers than any WWE TV in a long time, Should WWE be worried?
    I would say no. Based on the fact that their Mexican market share has been the shits for years, it's to be expected that AAA would outdraw them. Didn't they have to bring Taker in on a series of house shows a few years ago just to have a decent turnout?

Mexico is not WWE territory and it never will be. The people there like a completely different style in-ring and overall presentation.

Good for AAA though, I'm glad to see them doing big business.

You might say no, but you know which upstart promotion with money behind them, a buzz about it, and a US TV deal is lining up a Lucha Bros/Young Bucks feud and match?

Not suggesting that AEW will do anywhere near similar numbers, but I think it suggests the draw that just those four might have to a section of wrestling fans. Double Or Nothing could potentially do really big numbers.

It's a draw to a section of wrestling fans, yes. But you have to put this in context. Mexico eats up professional wrestling. It's part of the culture unlike anything in the US.

AAA is making in-roads into the US, but they are still very much Mexican. They are in the same position in the US that WWE is in Mexico. In the right markets with the right stars on the bill, they'll do good business. They'll probably sell out MSG and I hope that they do, but let's be real. If "The World's Most Famous Arena" was in Louisville, KY they wouldn't exactly be packing 15k people in there.

The business is in a boom period. I hope we can get back to that 60s/70s/80s level where fucking 10 promotions could put 5-10,000 people into buildings every week. It's not like the US is lacking in population centres.

But it's like you said, it's a section of the overall mainstream wrestling crowd. Neither The Young Bucks or The Lucha Bros have been putting tens of thousands into buildings to this point, and unless AEW is like The Grateful Dead people aren't always going to travel for their shows.

I was impressed with All In. I'm impressed that Double or Nothing sold out. But as far as the promotion as a whole goes, if it's something where their regular becomes 1500 people for weekly TV tapings, then they're another indy. They're TNA in 2008. Double or Nothing will probably do well, but keep in mind that Neither ROH which had The Bucks nor Impact which had The Lucha Bros were doing millions of viewers a week. There is an appetite for readily available non-WWE professional wrestling on a big stage. The question is just how big that appetite is. I estimate, based on my own experiences in wrestling and dealing with a variety of fans every week, that it's less than some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    How big of a jump is that from AAA usual numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    How big of a jump is that from AAA usual numbers?
    Their highest recorded number since joining Azteca 7 earlier this year was 4.4 million, which had occurred three times (April 5th, March 8th and February 15th). There's a rumor their debut episode did over 5 million viewers, but the info has never been released so no one knows for sure. Overall the viewership generally stays between 3.5 to 4.4 million, so this past week going to 5.4 million is a big deal. Some of it is definitely the work of Pentagon and Fenix (who are draws in Mexico), some of it is Psycho Clown (AAA's ace who had a cage match featured earlier in the show), some of it is the fact it took place on a holiday when everyone was home and yes, some of it is because of the Bucks. The match featuring the Bucks that was shown this past week was taped on March 16th (for AAA's big Rey de Reyes show, another factor in the rating being high), so people knew this was going to be shown on TV. It wasn't the primary factor, but it definitely didn't hurt and it'll definitely help the Bucks going forward when they return to Mexico.

Really it's just more great news for AAA, which was already getting great news because, again, the ratings are generally between 3.5 and 4.4 million each week. And while Azteca 7 is a huge network in Mexico, it's only in about 44.6 million homes, nearly 50 million fewer homes than RAW is here in the US. In other words, AAA is drawing higher ratings than RAW and Smackdown each week (and this past week did more than both shows combined) despite being in a country with a lower population than the US and being on a station in fewer total homes. AAA is, as we live and breath, the most watched wrestling promotion in North America. Coach is definitely right that them being based in Mexico (which is crazy for lucha libre) helps but it's still pretty fucking wild.

Their highest recorded number since joining Azteca 7 earlier this year was 4.4 million, which had occurred three times (April 5th, March 8th and February 15th). There's a rumor their debut episode did over 5 million viewers, but the info has never been released so no one knows for sure. Overall the viewership generally stays between 3.5 to 4.4 million, so this past week going to 5.4 million is a big deal. Some of it is definitely the work of Pentagon and Fenix (who are draws in Mexico), some of it is Psycho Clown (AAA's ace who had a cage match featured earlier in the show), some of it is the fact it took place on a holiday when everyone was home and yes, some of it is because of the Bucks. The match featuring the Bucks that was shown this past week was taped on March 16th (for AAA's big Rey de Reyes show, another factor in the rating being high), so people knew this was going to be shown on TV. It wasn't the primary factor, but it definitely didn't hurt and it'll definitely help the Bucks going forward when they return to Mexico.

Really it's just more great news for AAA, which was already getting great news because, again, the ratings are generally between 3.5 and 4.4 million each week. And while Azteca 7 is a huge network in Mexico, it's only in about 44.6 million homes, nearly 50 million fewer homes than RAW is here in the US. In other words, AAA is drawing higher ratings than RAW and Smackdown each week (and this past week did more than both shows combined) despite being in a country with a lower population than the US and being on a station in fewer total homes. AAA is, as we live and breath, the most watched wrestling promotion in North America. Coach is definitely right that them being based in Mexico (which is crazy for lucha libre) helps but it's still pretty fucking wild.
    AAA was all over everything last time I was in Mexico. Masks in store windows and all over roadside markets, I bought a hand made ring that was all decorated in AAA stuff. This wasn't even kitschy resort bullshit, this was in a major city. Wrestling is to Mexico as hockey is to Canada (hockey is regularly the most watched thing on TV in Canada averaging 1.8 million viewers in a country of 30 million people), it's a part of the culture. And AAA is the major brand (although I got a big kick out of watching CMLL on TV).

I think that's also why fans there are so forgiving of sub-par quality lucha. Like, the 16-21 hockey team here will put 5,000 people into an arena and while it's good hockey it's decidedly not professional level hockey. But it's the sport we were raised on so we're happy to go and buy a ticket and support as these guys develop even if it's not NHL level.

TV also isn't great in Mexico. Last time I was there I didn't have a satellite with 16 billion channels available, but even on digital cable my options were shitty stuff, more shitty stuff, Spanish dubs of The Simpsons, infomercials and wrestling. Yes it's a smaller population, but it's a major TV network with less competition in the market. For the record, I found what I can only assume is Mexican MTV and Spanish music videos are my favourite thing.

It's HUGE for AAA and I am sincerely glad that they're doing big business in Mexico and making in-roads into the US again, but it's not happening in a vacuum. Like I said, I hope we can get to that 60s/70s/80s level of multiple promotions filling arenas several times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    AAA was all over everything last time I was in Mexico. Masks in store windows and all over roadside markets, I bought a hand made ring that was all decorated in AAA stuff. This wasn't even kitschy resort bullshit, this was in a major city. Wrestling is to Mexico as hockey is to Canada (hockey is regularly the most watched thing on TV in Canada averaging 1.8 million viewers in a country of 30 million people), it's a part of the culture. And AAA is the major brand (although I got a big kick out of watching CMLL on TV).

I think that's also why fans there are so forgiving of sub-par quality lucha. Like, the 16-21 hockey team here will put 5,000 people into an arena and while it's good hockey it's decidedly not professional level hockey. But it's the sport we were raised on so we're happy to go and buy a ticket and support as these guys develop even if it's not NHL level.

TV also isn't great in Mexico. Last time I was there I didn't have a satellite with 16 billion channels available, but even on digital cable my options were shitty stuff, more shitty stuff, Spanish dubs of The Simpsons, infomercials and wrestling. Yes it's a smaller population, but it's a major TV network with less competition in the market. For the record, I found what I can only assume is Mexican MTV and Spanish music videos are my favourite thing.

It's HUGE for AAA and I am sincerely glad that they're doing big business in Mexico and making in-roads into the US again, but it's not happening in a vacuum. Like I said, I hope we can get to that 60s/70s/80s level of multiple promotions filling arenas several times per week.
    My push back to this is that well Lucha is important to Mexican culture, just 5 years ago a lot of writing on Lucha was asking about how it fell. AAA was trying to commit suicide it seemed and television sucked. Also CMLL lost a lot of talent to WWE and both were down. Lucha has the roller coaster viewership too, and honestly, AAA is pretty hot right now because of Psycho Clown. I may miss my lucha of the 80's and 90's, but it's on fire in Mexico right now and that's great. But it isn't always like this, so to say it's culture or whatever is to write off the truth. AAA is able to capture fans, and WWE can't. And WWE has to worry because AAA is spreading into the US market, with shows in NY and LA (and they've been known to draw close to 15,000 in LA). If AAA can get the same foothold it had in the SouthWest that it did in the 90's, then WWE is endanger of having a whole demographic that they've cared about for 2 decades start to lose interest in them.

Transgender Terror
    Poor Silver King. RIP.

The Brain
    Really sucks. I've always liked his stuff in WCW and I know that's his lesser work.

There were huge, and I mean HUGE, Silver King chants during the AAA main event last night. Dr. Wagner Jr., who is Silver King's brother, has been paying tribute to him at pretty much every show the last month (his gear has at least one Silver King related thing on it) and when he got rolling last night the crowd just went delirious for both him and Silver (the show even ended with Silver King chants as it faded to black). Was a really great moment that unfortunately had to come out of a tragedy.

Last night's AAA show on the whole was outstanding. I know I bring it up often in this thread but the best show I've seen all year was the February 10th show AAA ran in Tepic; last night in Monterrey was, at worst, just as good and I'd say probably better because it featured what was undoubtedly the best match I've seen in 2019 between Laredo Kid and Hijo del Vikingo. It was better than anything on Dominion earlier in the day, it was better than anything WWE, New Japan, CMLL, AAA or anyone else has produced this year; hell it was the most innovative match I've seen in quite awhile. You have to see it. The tag match prior to Laredo-Vikingo, which was Australian Suicide and Villano III Jr. vs. Golden Magic and Myzteziz Jr., was outstanding as well and will unfortunately get lost in the shuffle because of how good the singles was. Villano III Jr. has every chance to be the star his father was, and keep in mind his father is one of the greatest luchadores to ever live and had the greatest lucha libre match of all time. That his kid is already this great is wild.

The Brain
    Definitely gotta check out that Vikingo/Laredo match! Saw a few gifs which were super impressive, and with the Cult stamp of approval I know it's gotta live up to the hype! Great that such love is being shown to Silver King as well, even just the little bits of him I've seen from WCW showed me he had a whole lot offer.

Here is the match on YouTube!

Just sharing some quick thoughts about a AAA match I watched recently. This match was discussed on The Global Revolution, which I highly recommend to listen to for additional thoughts on it as well. My thoughts on the other 2 matches discussed on the podcast can be found in the CMLL thread. Let's go!

Laredo Kid (c) v El Hijo del Vikingo
    AAA World Cruiserweight Title match 06-09-2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4Is5Gy8kw
    When the mystery partner for the Lucha Bros was announced for AEW's Fyter Fest, I sent a message to Mizfan to ask him if I was excited by the fact it was gonna be Laredo Kid. He told me "sure" and sent me this match he was going to discuss on The Global Revolution. First, I really love when a wrestler's name fits his gimmick. I was quite served with El Hijo del Vikingo. The match starts with a great sequence of twisting lucha wrestling. The fluidity is really great and adds a lot to my enjoyment of a match. Both wrestlers are wrestling a clever match, when Laredo Kid moved to avoid a dive, El Hijo del Vikingo readjusted his flight to still catch his opponent. I really don't appreciate when you take your opponent for a stupid dude, of course you should look if your rival is still there before jumping (it's different when someone moves during the execution of the move, obviously). Both wrestler are doing great flips and just great wrestling in general. I watched it twice already, the first time I was really wondering why I wasn't really paying attention to Laredo Kid as my eyes were constantly drawn back to El Hijo del Vikingo. On the second viewing I paid more attention to the way the match was built and how they interacted together. I agree with a comment Mizfan and Jeff made during the podcast about the raised entrance. It allows for some clever and different moves to be performed. At the same time, the match doesn't need to lose momentum when the wrestlers continue their fight outside the ring. The crowd was amazing during this match and really kept me engaged both time I watched it. I'm a sucker for a Spanish Fly, that move pops me every damn time. I can't wait to see one done live in front of my eyes!!! Right before the ending sequence, El Hijo del Vikingo did a pin attempt on Laredo Kid, which Kid broke by grabbing the rope. But El Hijo del Vikingo wasn't paying attention to him, he was listening to the referee's count and when the ref stopped it, El Hijo del Vikingo had NO idea why. The look he gave the referee without realizing there was a rope break was heartbreaking and so painful. He was so sure of himself, and he had me convinced. That's some awesome character work that I really enjoy, these little details that take place in wrestling are golden.

Well, this is it for now, thanks for reading!

Until next time,
    Cathe

The Brain
    Cult will be very pleased that I got somebody to watch this match for the first time! I'm out here doing the lucha god's work, Iken!

Now this is forum content I can get behind! I'll be doing a write up on Laredo Kid for the site either today or tomorrow as well. He has a terrific story on how he got to Fyter Fest this weekend and I intend to tell it.

What's this cropping up in my twitter feed about Konnan and Cody on a AAA show?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Konnan cut a 100% worked promo on Cody this past Thursday at a show in Aguascalientes that I guess some people have thought was a shoot? I'm not sure how that all came about but having watched the promo (which was great) live it was very clearly a continuation of the issues Cody and Konnan had back in March, where Konnan told Cody anything he does in AAA has to go through him and Cody responded by calling Konnan a powerless employee.

Only a few days till Triplemania! I expect all of you to be here for the show, or I will send the Steinerbot on your ass.

Well, I will be watching the show, it looks like some solid matches on the card. I really don't know much about AAA, but I've enjoyed the shows/matches I've seen so far!

You can call off the Steinerbot, Cult!

That pre-show match was excellent, the Copa Triplemania was fun for once, THE PARK FAMILY, the lasses TLC match with motherfucking AYAKO HAMADA, Cain Valasquez delivering a better MMA to wrestling transition than Ronda Rousey, THE PARK FAMILY, Omega vs Pentagon getting confirmed (after a tepid six man affair, it must be said), Demon vs Wagner (!!!!!), Tirantes being the worst referee in the business as ever, and of course THE GOD DAMN PARK FAMILY.

Probably the best major event I've watched from a company this year.

You know what the funny thing is; not only was this show par the course for AAA this year, but I'm not sure it was even the best AAA show of the year! There are two shows, a February 10th show in Tepic and a June 9th show in Monterrey (which features the now mythical Laredo Kid-Hijo del Vikingo match) that I thought were just a bit better. None of which takes away from the fact that Triplemania was a resounding success and definitely featured the best performance from English commentary ever. I can only hope it gets more people to watch AAA for the rest of the year so people can see that AAA has been as great as I've been hyping them to be all year.

Guess who's going to AAA in the Hulu Theater this weekend? THIS GUY!

The Brain
    Dude that's awesome!! Can't wait to hear about the show!

You can watch it on FITE apparently, though it's costly. But no one will watch it. TOO MANY FLIPS! NOT ENOUGH 1980's STORYTELLING!

The Brain
    I mean 1980s storytelling is awesome, but flips can be too!

It was great. The best part was when Pentagon did his Cero Miedo routine and then said stuff about Western Canadian wrestling legend Sydney Steele that I will not repeat here for our more sensitive posters! We'll see if its leading to a match!

In all seriousness, best show I've ever attended. I expected it would be a good show but it was somehow even better than that. Wagner vs. Demon was unfortunately pretty weak, especially compared to the Triplemania match (my theory is, because the New York Athletic Commission is very strict on how violent matches can be, AAA decided to do a tame match in order to avoid issues) and Taya-Tessa didn't grab the crowd, but everything else was exceptional. The opener with Mascarita Dorada (El Torito!) was a lot of fun, the Impact-AAA match was strong despite Impact inexplicably winning, the four way was great, Cain Velasquez exceeded expectations yet again (in another great match) and the Lucha Brothers/LAX match was the best match I've ever seen in person. Crowd was unreal as well aside from Taya-Tessa (and they were still good there, just not great); completely old school to in that there were no modern chants, just pops, chants for the wrestlers and such (AAA never gave them a chance to turn on the show either by not having anything bad on the show and by keeping the show at a brisk 2 hours and 30 minutes). A complete success.

The Brain
    Really glad the show went so well, that's awesome for AAA and for all of wrestling. I admit I was a little worried when it sounded like they were having some issues setting it up but sounds like it came off quite well in the end.