Thread: MLW

MLW

Anybody watch or follow MLW?

I've heard that they've had Schiavone and Cornette on there in the last year or so, which kinda makes it sound like a bit of a JCP throwback (though I can't imagine that's how it'll be in practice). Also hear Konnan is involved in the backstage area somehow.

Anyone got any knowledge to add?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

All you need to know about MLW is that they have LA Park and Teddy Hart. They're a top five promotion on that and that alone.

The Brain
    I've watched the first several episodes of Fusion, which started last year on youtube, and I've enjoyed it pretty well. Oddly I actually enjoy Schiavone more on commentary than I ever really did in WCW, he seems much more relaxed and is reacting to how wrestling has changed in real time while bringing a bit of an old school mindset to it. It hasn't blown me away but it's been pretty enjoyable overall, and they book a really wide range of talent to put on matches others aren't, while still telling some continuous stories with their core talent. My fear is with everyone getting signed to exclusive contracts they may get left in the dust, but they'll have a fighting chance to replenish with new talent just like anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I've watched the first several episodes of Fusion, which started last year on youtube, and I've enjoyed it pretty well.
    So here's my million $ question.... we've talked quite a bit over the last few years, do you think I'd enjoy it?!

The Brain
    You'd like it much more than your average indy, but ultimately I think you'd be lukewarm on it at best Pete.

Huh, OK. Might watch one at some point to see how I get on but I won't rush out or get my hopes up, then.

The best non-WWE promotion, in my opinion. This past week's Fusion was tremendous. I love how they are using Contra Unit, particularly how their logo/screen pops up randomly on the show without any rhyme or reason. Mid-match between Ace and Wolf match? CONTRA UNIT.

The Brain
    Still very slowly catching up to the modern stuff, still in 2018 somewhere. Based on that I do honestly think they have an argument to be the best televised promotion in the US, at the very least.

Just announced that MLW is planning a PPV in the fall for $19.95. Other than live event tickets or the WWE Network, I don't think I've spent money on watching wrestling in 13 years, but I'll pay that for sure.

Current major feuds include Austin Aries chasing Teddy Hart's middleweight title.
    Hart Foundation as tag champs feuding with MJF's (of AEW fame) stable the Dynasty.
    LA Park has essentially their version of a Money in the Bank contract.
    MLW World Champ Tom Lawler is feuding with a stable named Contra Unit, who are easily my favorite stable in wrestling today. They are led by Jacob Fatu of the Samoan Fatu family, nicknamed the Samoan Werewolf, and is likely their top prospect and most likely to be picked up by AEW or WWE in the future. He's basically a mix of Uso athleticism and Umaga's intensity. He's also very much what a heel Roman Reigns should be.
    Tom Lawler also has the backing of 2 Von Erichs who have been learning their craft in Japan and seem to have a good future ahead of them.

I feel like Dave Meltzer, the unofficial spokesperson of a non-WWE promotion. The difference is that I'm not a regurgitating BS artist, and there are not friendships between me and anyone in MLW. Just a big fan of their promotion and program structure.

Between Pillman Jr. and the Von Erichs, there's a lot of surreal second/third generation talent. Hopefully, the sadness that has plagued these wrestling families can be made right. I always enjoy what I see from Kevin Von Erich. Hope his sons have something specail in store.

I liked the Von Erichs work in the 6 man tag a couple of weeks ago on Fusion. I didn't read the spoilers, but during Kings of Coliseum the announce team (MLW's biggest weakness, as Rich Bocchini is f'n awful) mentioned the Von Erichs being in Israel to do promotional work. Seems like a work, so maybe they were at the tapings, but if they weren't, it might be a month until we see them again.

I dont follow MLW religiously but watch you tube matches here and there. One I saw with the Von Erichs saw them with filthy Tom in a texas tornado tag...pretty cool touch given the WCCW's history with the tornado tag match...Marshal really stands out. He's billed as 6'4. No shoes like his dad...his partner may have to do more to single himself out...The iron claw is back. Glad they have a place to do that.

Cornette was ok on commentary. Like Tony when he's there, but doesnt sound like we'll see as much from him.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 07-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.

If anyone has seen the Davey Boy Smith Jr. /Thatcher match, Id love to read your thoughts.

I loved it. Hard hitting and technical, a style I don't find often enough in the promotions I watch. It was my first time watching Thatcher, and I'm an immediate fan. I also find it was some of Smith's best work in MLW, which I have found to be be average for the most part. This was very impressive.

Man, it felt like wrestling, like two people trying to beat each other. Thatcher had some great facial expressions. The only spot I didnt like was the trading forearms, but Thatcher saved it with the agressive face when they pressed their heads against each other.

Good match. Tony did a fine job calling it...felt like some true Hart magic...but oddly enough seemed Thatcher brought it out.

I think Smith needs to the right opponent to really stand out. I know that's a common fact for most wrestlers, but some can work with multiple styles of opponents. Smith JR seems to be very average unless he's with a very particular opponent, like Thatcher. His NJPW work gets reviewed highly, and I wonder if it's not just the opponents, but the fact that he worked heel. As a face, he's not that captivating.

I agree that the bad guy edge spices him up. Maybe, it's because the reputation he has agrees with it. But I'd heard he improved quite a bit. This had been a long time since I've seen him in tbe ring, and I was impressed, though he worked baby face.

Thanks for the recommendation Ben, watched that match and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Other than NXT, MLW is the show I get the most regular enjoyment out of (last night's SD was pretty damn good, but it's not routinely good unfortunately).

Has anyone seen this opera cup tournament they're going to have?Teddy Hart, inspired by the names on the trophey, lent it to MLW for use. Stue Hart was the last winner in 1948 , I think they reported.

Could be interesting.

Fall of 2019 is the time to bring back dead tournaments

From what I've seen MLW has a way of using the past to do some interesting things in the present. If the presentation is good, it could be a way of getting someone to another level and allow for some good matches on the way.

So who better Cornette or Tony?

Also, can anyone understand anything that comes out of Teddy Hart's mouth?
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Teddy is a complete waste of TV time. He's as degenerate as they get, yet he's a babyface. It's hard to like the Hart Foundation with him in it.

I prefer Cornette for the entertainment value, Tony is better at the actual storytelling part.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Teddy is a complete waste of TV time. He's as degenerate as they get, yet he's a babyface.
    It may have something to do with the fact that he's one of the most over guys in MLW. I'm not going to get into any argument over Teddy as a performer because I get he's polarizing, both in and out of the ring, but it can't be denied how popular he is with that MLW audience. Every time I watch his matches I'm always amazed at the reaction he gets. And it's not like MLW wanted him, Harry or Pillman to be babyfaces; they were positioned as heels at first when they had Pillman betray Kevin Sullivan, but they were so popular that MLW just went with it. I think that's a pretty wise move all things considered. But I also think Teddy is fascinating as a performer (maybe not as a mic worker as Button pointed out) and watch MLW when I can largely because I want to see his stuff.

His reactions are no better than those for Mance Warner, Tom Lawlor, Von Erichs, or anyone else aimed for a real main event title spot. Teddy is a midcard guy with a midcard title, and midcard reactions.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    So who better Cornette or Tony?
    In 2019 I quite prefer Tony, though that wouldn't have been the case in the 80s or 90s. Cornette can be very clever but he can also grate on me, whereas Tony has been surprisingly refreshing in the booth.

What I like about this site is you can always get different opinions on every question.

I like Tony better in the main events, especially the Thatcher/Davey Boy match. But since he's come back, he's been quieter. That's a down because the less he and Cornette talk the more that other guy does. I hate when that guy talks. In short, I like Cornette's recent energy more, but I like Tony in the big fights.

I don't mind that Teddy sucks on the mic, because its humorous. His in-ring work against MJF in this last match didn't impress me much. He was just throwing his body around like a weapon. MJF looked better, dropping Hart across the guardrail and working that body part. Good match for MJF.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Teddy Hart is a hack. A very gifted and athletic one, but he's not a good wrestler. He's like a less talented Jeff Hardy. If anything, he seems to work harder to prove that his strengths make up for his lack of any real wrestling ability, and it makes him look like a fool. That's why his tag work is best, much like Jeff Hardy. Sure, he can get the underdog babyface stuff, and sell, but all they offer as offense is dumb stunts, and no wrestling. So let him be the fun tag, while his tag partner does the actual wrestling. I haven't watched the MJF match yet, but if Hart keeps the title, I'm looking forward to Aries taking it from him.

Bah.

LOL

The Brain
    I'm not the biggest Teddy Hart fan in or out of the ring, but I can also see why Colt likes him so much. He does bring some worthwhile stuff to the table.

Spots. That's it. There is literally nothing else he brings to the table.