Kenny, Cody and the Bullet Club

It's a key angle not just in New Japan but across a bunch of other promotions, and I thought it'd be good to have a thread for how people think this is going to play out, what opportunities are thrown up as a result, and what it means for other wrestlers such as the Young Bucks, Chase Owens, Kota Ibushi, not to mention people like Hangman Page or Marty Scurll.

I'll be honest I think this needs to explode in a big way, and if it just ends up being the Bullet club carries on much the same as it was before but with one of them in charge it'll be a bit of a let down. I like the idea of one of these huge factions splitting up and all the little interpersonal dynamics coming out. I think you could do something that'd get a lot of people talking, and also something that would be really complex and interesting. Good for the casual fan, but good for the serious devotee who'd pick up on the nuances too.

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    This one has certainly sucked me in in a big way. I love how they have used youtube to build it with Being The Elite. Some of the episodes of that have played out like episodes of Game of Thrones with Cody Rhodes being the Little Finger like manipulator, using lies and flattery to turn people against the noble Kenny Omega who is trapped by his own feeling and sense of duty to his past promises.

You say you would like to see it blow up in a big way, what would that look like PT? A Big faction split? The destruction of the Bullet Club? The Bullet Club truly turning heel on the western audience that currently cheer it?

I haven't sat down and plotted it out, but it'd roughly mean the end of it as a group. Two factions who are outright hostile, and then everyone else who is in the group in a kind of weird no mans land. Some caught in the middle and being courted by both of the main groups. Some trying to play the resulting situation for their own gain. Some even trying jump ship and landing up in LIJ or Suzuki Gun. Basically, I guess it'd be an extension of what they've already done, but like a nuclear version of it, where the hostilities are more outright and it reaches the point where even the group can't pretend they are a coherent entity anymore.

That's sort of what I'd envision.

The way they played it at Dontaku suggests that it might be as simple as either Kenny or Cody leading the group going forward.

I'm not super keen on that route either, in all honesty, but I feel like whichever route they take it in now it might not be completely satisfying unless, as you say Prime, they go for the full nuclear option of just disbanding the whole faction or spearinng it into two completely. But then my concerns are that we get an nWo Hollywood and nWo Wolfpac situation.

Funny you mention it, because what I'm thinking of is what that NWO split should have looked like, rather than what we got. Obviously there is a risk that it could end up going that way. Hell, they've ripped everything else off about it, why not the shitty ending?

I'm still catching up on Dontaku to be honest. Starting threads does have problems when you're always behind the times, but hey ho....

It does stink of NJPW looking after its big merch seller and not wanting to rock that boat too much by blowing up the group. It is a bit sad given a lot of fans are turning to NJPW because it has a perception of being more creative than the WWE.

The feud has been put on hold for now because of the Okada-Omega conclusion at Dominion. And that's the point because the result I've long believed for Dominion (Omega finally winning the title and ending Okada's reign) is going to set up the next Kenny-Cody match and the next chapter. The booking is all there; not only did Cody beat Kenny at Supercard of Honor in April but he's since beaten Kota Ibushi and my guess will probably beat him again at Dominion (both guys need something to do for that show after all). You only do that if you're setting Cody up for a big title match and as the interest is more so in a Kenny-Cody rematch than a Okada-Cody rematch. So to me it all spells out that Kenny is winning at Dominion, Cody then causes a scene after the match be it in front of the crowd or backstage during the press interview and we're rolling into the Cow Palace with Kenny-Cody II for the title as the headliner. From there the story will continue, I presume with the Buck and Kenny finally reuniting, though I could see that happening at Dominion as well with them and Ibushi helping to will Kenny to victory.

The Brain
    I'm 100% with Cult in terms of having Omega win the IWGP title from Okada and incorporating the Cody feud in with the title as the struggle continues.

I'd be ok with this ending up with The Elite vs. The Bullet Club, in whatever set up that looks like. I think Pete is right that, if done right, this could be the split that the nWo should have been but never was. I think the end game can be Omega reclaiming the Bullet Club in the end but that can be literally years down the line if they play it right.

Cody has been announced as Kenny's first challenger as IWGP Champion at Cow Palace.

Surely they wouldn't crown Kenny after all this time only for him to drop it at the next PPV.

Cody will not be IWGP Heavyweight Champion. I think it might end up as simple as the Tongans, Yujiro, and Bone Soldier being the Bullet Club, The Golden Elite being their own stable, with Cody, Hangman, and Scurll going their own ways. Either that or Page emerges as the leader with The Golden Elite separate and Cody being the odd man out.

The Brain
    Yeah, no possible way Cody becomes champion any time soon, and honestly probably ever. The NJPW title scene is so tightly locked up.

I bet Omega and the Bucks will get the Bullet Club moniker back in the future, but yeah for a while Cody will probably just run it with his own guys.

I loved on the episode of Being The Elite he was ready to admit defeat to Omega but just couldn't bring himself to do it. His character work has been absolutely outstanding.