Words from a Gooner #1: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Hello, my name is Gooner.

I want to first thank everyone who read my initial column and posted feedback. I’m starting out on a new writing journey and I was ecstatic to receive that feedback. It shall push me on to continue this column writing malarkey! My initial target was to do twelve columns in 2019, one for each month. With this being my second column in mid-March, I'm a little behind schedule, but rest assured I shall meet that goal! I am also aware that I need to leave feedback too for other columns on LOP, and I shall be doing my best to improve this as we move forward (it’s hard to find the time!).

If you did happen to read my previous column, you will have noticed I’m not too high on the current product that the WWE is putting out. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Well… I know it. The Wrestlemania build so far this year has been decidedly mixed, with what feels like a lot of filler thrown in with some strange swerves. I won’t be going into detail about that today, but suffice to say that, at different times, the WWE seems to have positioned 3 different matches as the main event. And they’ve messed up at least two of them already with their build, so hopefully they’ll nail the third one. Rooting for you Kofi!

However, this is nothing new. The Wrestlemania builds for the last few years have, in my opinion, been sub-par. Wrestlemania 30 is probably the exception to that rule, but that was 5 years ago! Honestly, off the top of my head, I can’t remember the build of any Wrestlemania after Daniel Bryan’s moment in the sun. They all phase into one big blob of jelly that’s been sitting in the fridge for too long.

Thus, I have come up with 7 treatments that could help cure Wrestlemania season for all of us. Before we begin, a word of caution; there are many problems with WWE as a whole, some of which are related to Wrestlemania directly and thus will be discussed shortly. But I shall not be discussing issues that affect the WWE outside of Wrestlemania (so, for example, 3-hour Raw shows or elevating the championships, which are constant problems). OK, let’s get to it!

1. Use Part Timers… But Sparingly!

What’s wrong with it? Obvious right? The use of part timers has become a running joke across many wrestling fans over the years, but it is one that does not appear to be stopping any time soon. Let’s look back to Wrestlemania 24, an underrated event in my book that accomplished everything it set out to do. Let’s see how many part timers took part in the show:

Jim Duggan
    Floyd “Money” Mayweather

Two part timers! Just two! Mind boggling, right? Let’s now look 10 years later into the future, at Wrestlemania 34:

Kurt Angle
    Ronda Rousey
    Triple H
    Stephanie McMahon
    Undertaker
    John Cena
    Shane McMahon
    Brock Lesnar
    Kane
    Rhyno
    Nicholas*

Not counting Nicholas (he's a... well, one-timer?), that’s ten part-timers across five matches. That’s an obscene amount. I’m tempted to not count John Cena, but truth be told nowadays he does spend more time outside the ring than in it these days. His time is most certainly not now!

Treatment? Again, obvious, I know. Time to reduce that total way down, at least by half. Better yet, have them take part in less matches, and always away from titles. The mixed tag match from Wrestlemania 34 and the Undertaker vs Cena match would have been a perfectly acceptable amount of part timers on the show. I do actually like having the odd part timer or celebrity take part as it does add to the sense of nostalgia and treats Wrestlemania as bigger than any other event. But they have become a focal point of the show and that’s simply unacceptable. It’s time to bring the focus closer to home and give the rub to those that are out there in the ring 200+ days a year. They deserve it more.

Likelihood of happening? It’s not happening any time soon, that’s for sure. We currently have six part-timers scheduled, with possibly a couple more to be announced in the coming week. Two (Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey) in very high profile title matches too. The struggle is real. (2/10)

2. Reduce number of matches to a maximum of 10+2

What’s wrong with it? There are rumours that this year there will be a total of up to 17 matches on the card. Try counting to 17 now. Go on, I dare you. Done? Took a bit longer than you expected right? Now take into consideration that for each match, they’ll be entrances, pre-match promos, fallout as well as the matches themselves. Then there’s the musical performance. The promos. The Wrestlemania host… It’s just too much, even with a pre-show. This PPV could legitimately reach 8 hours in length. Here in the UK, that means the show starts at around 10pm and won’t end until dawn. I have actually taken a day off work in the past couple of years because of this. I’m sensing some very short matches, out of necessity, but then what’s the point?

Treatment? Less matches, kept to a maximum of 10 with two on the pre-show. NO musical numbers (unless they are part of an entrance) and in-ring or backstage promos limited to one or two. People like to see every title defended at Wrestlemania and while I understand that point of view, logistically that is a nightmare. There are 10 WWE championships in circulation at the moment (discarding NXT), they simply can’t all be defended. I’d reduce the number of titles to 5 and unify them, but that’s a topic for another day. I’ve also heard of the idea of having Wrestlemania happen over two days during the weekend, but personally I think that would be overkill. You’re also quite likely to then get two 5 to 6 hour shows back to back. Yikes.

Likelihood of happening? I do think we are reaching a breaking point; they can’t get any longer, surely? Thus, I think it’s possible that this may happen in the not too distant future, but we’ll have to get past Wrestlemania 35 first. (6/10)

3. Get rid of Fastlane, but keep Elimination Chamber

What’s wrong with it? There’s two PPVs between the traditional opener of Wrestlemania season, the Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania itself. This year, there’s 10 weeks between those two events and WWE have once again gone ahead and presented us with two PPV events. I’m legislating a motion to remove one, specifically Fastlane. It serves next to no purpose whatsoever. It exists solely because of it's name and gives Michael Cole the excuse to say "We're on the Fastlane to Wrestlemania!" every goddamn year. It’s usually the most predictable PPV on the calendar and I also believe that the quality tends to be a little subdued, mainly due to the WWE superstars not wanting to get injured so close to Wrestlemania. Removing the event means you have one less PPV, which can only be a good thing when there’s about 56 each year. I like the idea of Elimination Chamber, it allows WWE to set up some intriguing matches and is generally a good followup on from the Rumble. But please go back to calling it No Way Out. Like seriously…

Treatment? Simple. Remove it and place Elimination Chamber in early March.

Likelihood of happening? Money talks. No, not Shane McMahon. They’ll keep the PPV in the schedule. (1/10)

4. Be bolder… and less predictable

What’s wrong with it? This could relate to WWE at any point of the year, to be fair. But it’s especially true during Wrestlemania season. Now granted, Kofi Kingston’s elevation is certainly new and exciting. Becky Lynch and the women’s division has been a breath of fresh air and has a genuine chance of main-eventing Wrestlemania, or at least did before they kayfabe suspended her multiple times. But overall, across both brands, the product is predictable and even a little boring. The mid-card is floundering with talent, who are not being used to their full potential. Braun Strowman is feuding with some TV host on another show. I can’t even remember who the Raw Tag Team champions are (I looked it up, when did The Revival win them?!). The stories that WWE are telling right now are just flat-out poor.

Treatment? I’m going to give three current storyline threads a bolder look:

Seth Rollins vs Brock Lesnar – Have Rollins destroy Lesnar week after week, curb stomping him each week to legitimise his finisher. This would lead to Lesnar having an existential crisis and have Heyman start to truly doubt Lesnar. At Wrestlemania, after a gruelling back and forth match, Rollins does indeed emerge victorious, after ONE curb stomp, not 15. He now goes by the moniker of Beast Slayer, in a more tweener role. Lesnar rides into the sunset. Heyman switches sides. Bold.

Women’s Division – Asuka is currently doing nothing in particular on Smackdown and is getting overshadowed Becky Lynch, Charlotte and Ronda Rousey. Having grown tired of this, she intervenes at Fastlane and costs Becky the match by attacking Flair. Flair vs Ronda at Wrestlemania is set. Asuka vs Becky Lynch at Wrestlemania is set. But wait! Mr McMahon wants his marquee Wrestlemania match dammit! Have a tournament and unify the championships. Semi-finals happen the week before on Raw and Smackdown, the final as the main event of Wrestlemania. Bold.

Kurt Angle retirement match – Baron Corbin? Seriously?! This is tailor made for John Cena. His first match was against Angle, so it would be fitting that Angle’s last match is against Cena. Make it fun, built on the respect they each have for each other. At Wrestlemania, have Cena come out in tights just like he did back then. OK, maybe that's too much. A nice short match ending with Cena getting the upper hand after an FU, renamed solely for this occasion. Bold.

Likelihood of happening? Well, I mentioned that they are at least trying to be bold and different, but it’s the mid-card that’s hurting the most. And I don’t hold too much expectancy of that changing. But I could be wrong. (4/10) (EDIT: As this was written before rumours of a change with Angle’s opponent, possibly even Cena, I’m bumping this up to (5/10))

5. Change the Hall of Fame

What’s wrong with it? On the surface, nothing. Look deeper though, and you’ll find problems with not just the ceremony but the overall placement of the event and surroundings. With NXT Takeover a firm fixture during Wrestlemania weekend, the Hall of Fame suffers from a lack of importance overall. What’s not helping is the length of the ceremony and some of the behaviour from the fans on the night. This should be a special occasion for those inducted. Goldberg, one of the most over wrestlers in his heyday ever (and my first ‘favourite’) and headliner on the night, gave his speech in front of a sparse crowd due to time constraints. That’s unacceptable. Not having a physical Hall of Fame is also long overdue.

Treatment? Move it away from Wrestlemania. Other than tradition, there is really no other reason why it happens in early April. Move it to the build of one of the other big PPVs, such as Survivor Series which is fast becoming less and less. This bumps up Survivor Series whilst also putting more of a spotlight on the inductees. Now that I mention it, have less inductees each year, maybe a maximum of five. And for god's sake, build a physical Hall of Fame at long last. It’s a guaranteed money churner all year round.

Likelihood of happening? Undecided. The physical Hall of Fame will surely come around at some point, but I think the ceremonies will continue on happening in April. (5/10).

6. Move the Money in the Bank back to Wrestlemania

What’s wrong with it? Confession time. I actually love the Money in the Bank PPV. It’s a great reason for a PPV, with a legitimate prize as the winner is almost guaranteed to win a world title. It’s one of three PPVs I stay up and watch here in the UK (along with the Rumble and Wrestlemania) But I can’t help but feel that Wrestlemania misses out on this as an attraction. Since MITB moved to the summer, Wrestlemania has since used the Andre Memorial and Mae Young Battle Royals as it’s multi-person match, but there’s no tangible prize other than the trophy itself. And it’s chock full of jobbers. MITB matches at Wrestlemania had a better build, a prominent place at the beginning of the event… and who doesn’t love a ladder match at Wrestlemania! Plus, MITB winners get a full year to cash in, right? If those 365 days goes from one edition of Wrestlemania to another, it creates more intriguing stories. Imagine two cash-ins on the same night! The current holder cashes in, wins or loses and then the newly crowned MITB winner earlier in the night cashes in there and then! At Wrestlemania no less! Book it Vince!

Treatment?Obviously, moving MITB to Wrestlemania is not as easy as it sounds. We have two MITB matches now, one for the women and one for the men. I fully believe you can’t have one without the other, but the two on the same night in an already crowded Wrestlemania card could be tricky. But it can be done if it’s creative. You could space them out over the course of the evening, one as the opening match and the second opening the third hour. As for the MITB PPV, swap it for King of the Ring. Simples.

Likelihood of happening?There’s a chance of a one off MITB happening at a Wrestlemania. But it’s one of the best PPVs of the year, and the WWE knows this. (2/10)

7. Move NXT Takeover to the week before

What’s wrong with it?Pound for pound, NXT is probably the best thing WWE has going for it at the moment. Fantastic match-ups, loud audiences and great stories. Now, I’m certainly not going to suggest that NXT Takeover overshadows Wrestlemania as a whole, not in the slightest. But the wrestling product that NXT Takeover presents does. NXT wrestlers are seemingly given more time, more creative freedom and are better positioned to knock their matches out of the park. Whereas at Wrestlemania, at times I get the impression that matches have been rehearsed to death and are very much streamlined. Not always, but often. Since Wrestlemania 32, the wrestling product has been better at NXT Takeover than at Wrestlemania. Fact. That doesn’t help Wrestlemania when the so called ‘little league’ is outperforming the ‘big league’.

Treatment? Simple, move the event to the previous week. There needs to be a small separation between the main roster and NXT, this would help achieve that. Let NXT have complete focus one weekend, then onto Wrestlemania for the next.

Likelihood of happening? I could actually see this happening. The weekend as a whole is bursting at the seems and it would make sense. Cities bidding for Wrestlemania would surely be tempted if the event as a whole lasted a week instead of just a weekend? (7/10)

So, there you have it. My 7-step guide to improving Wrestlemania. What do you think? Am I right? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Let me know in the comments below. See you around.

Last edited by Gooner; 03-22-2019 at 01:24 PM.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Hello!

I didn't see your first column, but this one was so high-quality I may have to go back and find it. Loved the structure of both the concepts and individual sentences, very well-built and readable.

I agree with most of your points, and some of them are intertwined. Using 10 part-timers naturally increases the number of matches and run time of the show. Cut that down! And yeah, Fastlane, as a "Regular" aka non-gimmick PPV, just has no place being a month before THE non-gimmick PPV.

But...

Gotta disagree on a few points, or at least counter-argue a bit:

Physical Hall of Fame - I think I just read WWE is selling the Titan Tower, so I can't imagine they'll buy/operate another physical building. Really, who would visit it anyway? WWE has 1/1000th the fans of the NBA or MLB, which do have physicall Hall of Fames, and there's still no way those make money. So here's a wild idea; BUILD a temporary HoF for WrestleMania weekend, near the event, then pack it back up in the warehouse until next year. Your most hardcore fans are already at the location for the weekend, that gives them one more WWE-related activity, and keeps costs WAY down.

Money in the Bank - This is the ultimate double-edged sword. MitB provides unpredictability, excitement, and the opportunity for surprising contenders to be pushed at a moment's notice. That's great! MitB made Edge, Punk, Ziggler, and others into legitimate stars(some more temporarily than others). However, it also creates an expectation of a cash-in after EVERY match, hell, every segment, the champion is in. And if there is no cash-in that night? The crowd leaves disappointed. It also means we have to listen to Michael Cole say the same dumb platitudes about the contract holder every time he walks down the ramp. MitB is important enough, and exciting enough, that it can be one of the non-title matches at WrestleMania, but again, you've now created the expectation that the winner of that match will immediately challenge the winner of the main event. Double edged sword. Maybe alternate years between the men's and women's MitB matches, so only one exists in WWE at a time?

Push NXT Takeover A Week Back - Vehemently disagree on this, though at the same time I wouldn't REALLY care if they did. Is that weird? I think having badass Takeovers the night before the Big Four PPVs pushes the main roster to be even better, and the idea of a "WWE Weekend" with two PPVs and other events is really fun to me, even if I've never gone to one in-person. I think it also leads to LESS WWE fatigue, because you can say "Well it was a WWE weekend but now there's no other weekend event for a month" as opposed to spreading them out and having more weekends touched by WWE content. There are good reasons to move it, as you outlined, but I think WWE fatigue would increase even more if they did so, plus having the NXT show the night before a Big Four event just makes NXT feel more special by proximity.

Great stuff!
    Last edited by Burn11nMyLight; 03-23-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Hey, thanks very much for your feedback! To be honest, I kinda expected some counter-arguments (in a good way!). I certainly don't have all the answers, just a set of ideas that i think could make it better overall.

I'll just address those three points you raised:

Quote Originally Posted by Burn11nMyLight View Post
    Physical Hall of Fame - I think I just read WWE is selling the Titan Tower, so I can't imagine they'll buy/operate another physical building. Really, who would visit it anyway? WWE has 1/1000th the fans of the NBA or MLB, which do have physicall Hall of Fames, and there's still no way those make money. So here's a wild idea; BUILD a temporary HoF for WrestleMania weekend, near the event, then pack it back up in the warehouse until next year. Your most hardcore fans are already at the location for the weekend, that gives them one more WWE-related activity, and keeps costs WAY down.
    I think what I meant (and I agree I didn't make this very clear) is more of a museum that details the history of the WWE, with a specific hall of fame wing. The location would probably have to be near Stamford, but imagine if they put it in New York City, which is near anyway? Millions of tourists every year there would surely see a steady footfall?

Money in the Bank - This is the ultimate double-edged sword. MitB provides unpredictability, excitement, and the opportunity for surprising contenders to be pushed at a moment's notice. That's great! MitB made Edge, Punk, Ziggler, and others into legitimate stars(some more temporarily than others). However, it also creates an expectation of a cash-in after EVERY match, hell, every segment, the champion is in. And if there is no cash-in that night? The crowd leaves disappointed. It also means we have to listen to Michael Cole say the same dumb platitudes about the contract holder every time he walks down the ramp. MitB is important enough, and exciting enough, that it can be one of the non-title matches at WrestleMania, but again, you've now created the expectation that the winner of that match will immediately challenge the winner of the main event. Double edged sword. Maybe alternate years between the men's and women's MitB matches, so only one exists in WWE at a time?
    The expectancy of a cash in is usually down to wrestlers always threatening it by walking down after each title match and then changing their minds. Think back to Edge, people mostly forgot he even had the MITB briefcase because he didn't keep presenting it on TV. I think that could be one way to combat that aspect of it. Good story telling could help too.

Push NXT Takeover A Week Back - Vehemently disagree on this, though at the same time I wouldn't REALLY care if they did. Is that weird? I think having badass Takeovers the night before the Big Four PPVs pushes the main roster to be even better, and the idea of a "WWE Weekend" with two PPVs and other events is really fun to me, even if I've never gone to one in-person. I think it also leads to LESS WWE fatigue, because you can say "Well it was a WWE weekend but now there's no other weekend event for a month" as opposed to spreading them out and having more weekends touched by WWE content. There are good reasons to move it, as you outlined, but I think WWE fatigue would increase even more if they did so, plus having the NXT show the night before a Big Four event just makes NXT feel more special by proximity.
    WWE fatigue would fall under more of a problem with WWE as a whole, not really with Wrestlemania, but I do see your points. In a perfect world, we would only have 6-8 WWE PPVs and the current 4 NXT ones a year, so a special week of two PPVs, each one a week apart, would possibly work. It's interesting to think about.

Thanks again!

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    A couple of thoughts on each...

1. Use Part Timers… But Sparingly!
    Totally agree with this. Some years are better than others, but the constant addition of the Title to a part time match that doesn't need it only serves to show the once a year fan that the current roster isn't as good as the guys from 20 year ago.

2. Reduce number of matches to a maximum of 10+2

Definitely. I never watch pre-shows, and even at 5 hours WrestleMania is too long. 3 hours for a regular PPV, 4 for the Big 4.

3. Get rid of Fastlane, but keep Elimination Chamber

Maybe have the option of an Elimination Chamber match at a PPV called Fastlane? I hate having PPVs named after Gimmick matches (Survivor Series & Royal Rumble excepted). Use things like the EC, HIAC, TLC etc when needed, not when the name of the show dictates.

4. Be bolder… and less predictable

Generally improve the creative department and add logic to storylines etc. Using the Women's match as an example, unless you predicted that they'd fuck things up beyond all purpose I think they've been anything but predictable on that one.

5. Change the Hall of Fame

My biggest problem with the HoF show is much like WM itself. It's too long. New York is definitely the right place for a permanent WWE attraction though, be it a museum or HoF or both.

6. Move the Money in the Bank back to Wrestlemania

Or just scrap the concept altogether? It ran it's course a long time ago, since Edge & RVD the only good cash in has been Rollins.

7. Move NXT Takeover to the week before

This one I definitely disagree with. Having them on consecutive nights allows the 1,000s of fans to get a weekend away and see both shows. Having them a week apart forces the fans to have a whole week's holiday, so I believe this would actually reduce attendance at both shows.
    Last edited by DynamiteBillington; 03-25-2019 at 08:08 AM.

FACT or FICTION: Ladies and Gentlemen, Elias.
    PM me to get involved.

Since I finished reading a few days ago, I wanted to feedback this column! Great writing Gooner, you mention pretty much everything that feels so wrong about WrestleMania these days. I also really appreciate the way you separated each point into questions to answer each one of them! I guess, I loved the format!

Just a quick note, I went to two WrestleManias with Travel Packages, both time. When there was no NxT and stuff, the weekend was not too full. Axxess on the weekend, Hall of Fame on Saturday, WrestleMania on Sunday, Raw on Monday and Smackdown on Tuesday. I truly think that, as a fan, you get exhausted from consecutive hours sitting at a show, not consecutive days of WWE. 8 hours in ungodly long, but I still have a little hope that if we get 17 matches, most of them will be short matches packed with action. This year, I don't think I could sit through eight hours in the MetLife Stadium (which was my 2nd WM). We had a little rain before the show began and it was pretty cold outside!!

Now, with NxT being added to the weekends, they could move the Hall of Fame to another time. Perhaps skip the March PPV like you suggested, do a 2-day event with Hall of Fame on the Saturday and an event with NxT on Sunday, to showcase both the old and the new wrestlers, as a passing of the torch moment. Do as they do now and just bring the inductees out during WM. Everyone would be happy with that, to salute a career that you have already saluted the night before!

I'm also going to SummerSlam this summer, and what I look forward too the most is NxT and 205Live (never seen either one live yet). I would be PISSED if they moved NxT to another weekend, as I couldn't attend it. For PPVs and especially Big Four PPVs, WWE needs to consider how many fans in attendance will travel to these events vs the local fans. The bigger the event, the more travelling fans they get...

The Brain
    Welcome back Goon, glad to see you! I'll hit you with my own thoughts here:

Part Timers - Definitely agree! I think back to the good old days (for me, at least) when a part timer meant someone like Shawn Michaels or Undertaker working 6-9 months of the year instead of the full 12, and guys like Foley showing up for a 3 month stretch to give 110% and put over someone huge. Now we've got... whatever the hell this is!

Fewer Matches - Probably smart. I think there could be some value in doing a 2 day event if they could keep the length of both reasonable. I also think there is some value in having some of the matches go shorter, as long as they do it strategically to create unpredictability instead of just stiffing the regular roster guys.

Fastlane - Like you say, there's little likelihood of this, but who knows? I think it CAN work just fine if they book carefully, but I won't hold my breath for that.

Book Bolder - This is the one I'm most mixed on, because it's so subjective. You could say they booked "boldly" by complicating the Becky/Ronda stuff until it tied itself in a knot. Instead of this, I would say the lesson should be "go with what's hot". If something's working, great, if it's not, then take a chance on something else. Too often we see hot angles cooled off for no reason and cold ones sticking around for ages despite nobody seeming to want them.

HoF - Wrestlemania attracts such a traveling crowd that I think it's probably best to leave the Hall the way it is. I also think it probably matters the least out of all of these, all things considered.

MITB - The only change I'd make to MITB is removing the ability to "cash in" on a moment's notice, which is such a tired and counterproductive gimmick. I kind of like it having its own PPV.

Takeover - I actually think this is the least likely by far, and again it's all about that traveling crowd that Mania attracts. Part of the reason WM has been able to move back to giant stadiums is they now offer a whole weekend of activities, not just one night of fun. Putting Takeover a week away means that fans will have to choose to go to one or the other instead of both, which is a big hit to WWE's bottom line for the weekend. I see where you're coming from, but no chance of this!

Good thoughts man, really like the structure too! Looking forward to the next one already!

Feedback time.

For everyone, as it seems each person has had the same opinion re: MC=XT Takeovers. I think I may be coming from it at a different angle, that being the international audience that attends Wrestlemania, not the domestic US audience. If I were to travel from the UK all the way to New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago... and attend Wrestlemania, I wouldn't be going for 3 or 4 days. I'd be going for at least a week, but more likely two. Spreading the events out to two weekends means I would get to enjoy the city I'm in during the week too. As for watching the events on TV, similarly at least for me, I simply can't watch two PPVs on consecutive days, especially knowing that the second one will reach 6 hours. But, that's just my two cents!

DynamiteBillington - Thanks for the feedback, valid points overall. I'd only disagree with the MITB as I think it's become one of the more cherished concepts, akin to the Royal Rumble.

cathe67 - Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it! I agree, 8 hours sitting down anywhere is harder than it looks, especially when the seats are uncomfortable and with everyone fidgeting. I'd love to do Wrestlemania, I'm expecting to do it hopefully in the next couple of years, sounds like you had an awesome time.

mizfan - Cheers mizfan, hoping to stick around more this time! Yeah, I think the WWE has this year been a little bolder, but I sometimes find some characters and story arcs to be so predictable that they lose my attention. I have a theory that this may be down to me being overloaded with wrestling years behind me where story arcs are recycled and there's less originality in modern day story-telling. But, I'll leave that for another day.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    I agree MITB had the potential to become a cherished concept, I don't see that it's succeeded though. Too many of the cash ins have been wasted on people who either weren't ready or who WWE weren't ready to pull the trigger on. Maybe you're right and it could be saved by getting it back on the WM card, but one thing I do definitely agree with - it's better than the Battle Royal we currently get at Mania.

FACT or FICTION: Ladies and Gentlemen, Elias.
    PM me to get involved.

Wow, there is some great feedback on this thread. Gotta say that it is well earnt this is a very solid column: well structured, didn't go for too long but still explored the points it was making. Good stuff on a relevant topic.

As to the points of contention I won't talk about all of them but just a few:
    -firstly I agree completely about part timers, I think the WWE actually has to almost be banned completely from them because they can't control themselves (as we've seen in recent years and as you pointed out).
    - Completely agree with card length, being on Mania should not be a right for every wrestler but a privilege.
    - Story telling being bolder is absolutely something I can get on board with. I actually think they have somewhat lost the art of telling original stories and can only rehash old ones like 'the authority' or 'reality' or 'part timers v full timers'. Creatively it is very lacking especially when you have a feud like Brock v Seth where they do have so much back story.
    - With Takeover I actually think they could go a little more radical and make Mania two nights and include nxt bouts on each night. Would be a good chance for nxt wrestlers to be exposed to the larger audience and would recognize that at this point nxt isnt really a developmental brand but a legitimate third part of the company.

DynamiteBillington - I'd say that would be more down to the way WWE books the winners as opposed to the match itself. But yes, definitely better than the Battle Royale!

SirSam - Thanks for your feedback! My concern with a two-night Wrestlemania is that one would be treated as the "lesser" night, though of course this could just be me. Perhaps a Raw WM and a Smackdown WM, mixed in with some NXT? I dunno... In any case, the length of Wrestlemania as a whole is a major concern for me, so adding more matches (albeit across a second night) seems counter-intuitive.