Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WWE Money in the Bank 2018 - LIVE DISCUSSION

Some people might say that after the reception Backlash got, and - the rare thing - an actual noticeable dip in the ratings afterwards, that the WWE have got something to prove in their next PPV offering in June, from the Allstate Arena in Chicago.

I'm already resigned to thinking it'll suck, personally. That might sound unfair but the givens in life are not death, taxes and Scurll beats Ospreay, but death, taxes, and Prime hates multiman ladder matches. So it ain't going to be for me. Such is the life nowadays though.

Anyway, discussion leading up to and about the MITB event here.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 05-14-2018 at 05:40 AM.

The Miz is winning.

I think the TV this week, post-Backlash, has shown a marked improvement. And if that continues maybe we get something good at MitB?

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but do we see Strowman win the briefcase and announce a cash-in ahead of time to set up a title match with Lesnar at Summerslam? Or do all roads lead to Reigns/Lesnar again?

Sadly, most likely the latter, right?
    Last edited by Pringle; 05-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Vince is pretty stubborn when he wants something. He's been wanting Roman as the new Cena for a while now. Usually it takes an act of GAWD to get him to realize something isn't working.

If it were me, Miz or Rusev would be winning that match. MITB only realistically works when you know you can cash in at anytime. We all know Brock won't be at RAW or most PPV's, so seeing a RAW guy win would be a long waiting game.

The Brain
    MITB has been a consistently strong event so, unless you hate multi-man ladder matches as a rule (and I get why you might), this will probably be fun. Chicago means a guaranteed hot crowd too. For sure like the idea of Miz getting the nod!

I hate the idea that the MITB contract needs to make a champion. In mostly every case it has been used to make a new champion for the first time. Why can’t it be used to further a story line, not create a new one? The only case that I think this happened is when HHH turned on Bryan and grave the title to Orton. But that is only hindsight, as the plan was not for Bryan to get into the main event at Mania, nor win the title there.

So my idea of having the Miz win to eventually win the title to set up Bryan’s long overdue Rumble win and match is nearly a perfect scenario.

The Brain
    I agree, much better to tie the contract in with an existing storyline. Miz/Bryan is a great one, though I'm still not sure they will have the patience to wait until 'Mania. It could even work at Summerslam though, if they really wanted it to.

Count me in for wanting to see Miz win the briefcase. It would be cool to see him actually have an earned match and beat the Champion, but let's be real with that for a second, a MITB cash-in to drop it to Bryan a few months later might be the best he gets.

The Brain
    Wecome back, Coach!

Honestly, I think I'd be ok with that too, though I think they'll be smart to build it up as much as possible.

OR, imagine Bryan wins the title first, then Miz cashes in on him right away to win the belt away, then spends his reign running from a Bryan rematch. Could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Wecome back, Coach!

Honestly, I think I'd be ok with that too, though I think they'll be smart to build it up as much as possible.

OR, imagine Bryan wins the title first, then Miz cashes in on him right away to win the belt away, then spends his reign running from a Bryan rematch. Could be awesome.
    So a rehash of the last time...no thanks. I want The Miz to be the champ and Bryan challenge outright, nothing more needs to be be added to this.

I kind of want Braun to win it and then just haul his arse off to Brock's Saskatchewan farm with a referee to beat him inn a field or something.

I'd actually be down with the plot mizfan is laying out - it's fine to say that nothing needs to be added to it, but you can add things and they bring the belt prestige. Plus, I think there is a definite plan afoot already to play a long game with Bryan - you only need to look at his match results to date to see that.

I'm a tad apprehensive about MITB already sadly. Don't get me wrong, MITB often have good matches and occasionally have the right winners, but what we need to remember about this event is that it's turned into "Chicago Weekend" rather than just a main roster. In fact, you have NXT Chicago, MITB, and the UK KOTR event on the following Monday & Tuesday. The first UK Tournament special was quite the cult success.

So already, MITB is sandwiched in between two events that the more hardcore audience will stubbornly prefer anyway.

With that in mind, I think they need to hit it out of the park regarding the MITB winners.

Glad to see the forums are up and running again. Too bad I didn't save my sig from the prediction contest. RIP.

So how would you feel if they go ahead and have a Tag team MITB match?

I am forced to reasonably inquire: can the victor, recipient, and occupier of the case that is brief not demand his title shot regardless of whether the crowned champion is present thereby winning the title of The Universe by forfeit?
    Last edited by NoMan; 05-12-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    So how would you feel if they go ahead and have a Tag team MITB match?
    From a story standpoint, I think it would be interesting. There doesn't seem to be much competition at the moment on the Raw side, so something like that would be good.

I was asked a question in work recently. What about a Cruiserweight MITB match? On the pre-show for instance?

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    As much as I loathe ladder matches, and as much as I would expect a cruiserweight version to bring out the worst habits that make me hate ladder matches in the first place, i'd actually be quite up for seeing that. The varying in-ring styles you could have involved would be tantalising, and 205 Live is a haven for character development so you can bet there'd be plenty of material on that front for them to create something outstanding!

But only if Itami wins it. How that man isn't at the heart of this show but the likes of the bland Alexander and pointless Buddy Murphy is continues to astound me. Same with Ali too.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    As much as I loathe ladder matches, and as much as I would expect a cruiserweight version to bring out the worst habits that make me hate ladder matches in the first place, i'd actually be quite up for seeing that. The varying in-ring styles you could have involved would be tantalising, and 205 Live is a haven for character development so you can bet there'd be plenty of material on that front for them to create something outstanding!

But only if Itami wins it. How that man isn't at the heart of this show but the likes of the bland Alexander and pointless Buddy Murphy is continues to astound me. Same with Ali too.
    Gran Metalik.

He's the worst handled guy on the whole roster. Top 5 in ring talent in the company if they just allowed him to work...

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

I hate mitb...we're a long way from the boyhood dream coming true and into randomly run down, hand in a briefcase and beat a tired man....just is anti climatic to what a world title win is supposed to be...

The Brain
    I still enjoy the actual ladder matches, but I would love for WWE to adopt the LU rule that you have to announce at least 1 week in advance. I've had enough of cheap title wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    Pretty sure it's because Itami is held together by duct tape and prayer at this point.

it also doesn't help that Itami injured guys with his GTS. Punk had the move for years and never did.

Edit:

Ronda Rousey vs. Nia Jax at Money in the bank for the title. lol.
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:03 PM.

They didn't waste any time putting Ronda in a title match, did they?

Dumb, dumb, dumb, unless it is a complete swerve with run ins galore.

It'll be interesting if they put the belt on Ronda off the back of, essentially, no build. I mean, they couldn't even do anything with them on Raw because they were in New York.

I mean, they have another month, so it's not urgent that they build it last night. But before now they've only had a very brief glance up and down each other segment. So I don't really get it. And the whole time before Mania she was talking about not getting special treatment and now whoops, here's a title match, straight away.

And, bless her, Nia isn't exactly a workhorse who's going to make Ronda look great.

I think they either play off Nia being dominant and have her beat Ronda - which sounds silly, given that it's Ronda, but they could then have the story be that she needs to build herself up to get title opportunities - or put the belt on Ronda. Then, though, you have to have Ronda on pretty much all the shows.

It's either that or some extraneous bullshit. Maybe have Nia beat Ronda so bad that Nattie throws in the towel for her?

After thinking about it, the only way they can do this now is to have Ronda lose via Nattie shenanigans. It's not because Ronda is green, its because you just did an undefeated gimmick with Asuka and if Ronda wins the title, she's not losing it anytime soon.... so she's gonna run thru the all raw division just like Asuka pretty much did? Just to set up a Charlotte match at Mania where Charlotte wins another big match? No thanks.

No, the smart play since its happening is for Ronda to lose via Nattie, then you can drag the Nattie feud out, have Ronda win that and then set up the title run when you have other girls built up. Plus it would give Nia time to lose the title to someone else and make that the big title match for Ronda... where she's in there with a better worker.

She has to win. Even if they have her lose via shenanigans, interference or the works you're still at the end turning Rousey, who right now has been used perfectly and feels special, into just another member of the roster. The exact opposite of what they want Rousey to be, especially at this stage of the game. It's not ideal that she wins either (I agree it's too soon), but if you put her in the match and do anything but give her the title then, unless they have the greatest plan in the world, they're diminishing Rousey. The right call is to not do the match at all, have Rousey win a couple big singles matches before winning the title at Summerslam from whoever, and going from there. I don't know why they didn't do that.

The simple answer to that, Cult, is that they wanted something big to announce at the NBC Upfronts ahead of TV contract renewal negotations over the next 3/4 months - at least, that's what has always been rumoured as a timeframe for negotiating the new TV deals.

WWE is no longer it's own master and needs that TV deal to be big money for them. This is pretty much the only way they can get general public hype now, with the Lesnar train having derailed and no other household names on the roster because of years of failure to buiild stars. So the only way to get the general public talking about what WWE did at the NBC Upfronts, and subsequently go into the negotiations with some level of hype behind them because they have Rousey. It gives them an extra leg to stand on in negotiations.

This match has a 99% chance of ending in SUDDEN NATALYA which is basically 99 reasons to not have the match happen in the first place, let along all the rest of it.

^Bingo!

The Brain
    The TV deal stuff definitely feels like it may have played a role in how rushed this feels. I don't know if it's going to end up being a mistake long term but it does feel like it has the potential to be just that.

Seems like they're doubling down on booking themselves into a corner by adding Asuka vs Carmella, to me.

Any thoughts on the stipulation for Styles/Nakamura? I've seen two rumours flying around, one a last man standing match and the other an ironman bout. The latter interests me far more (especially if they do a half hour one) as it adds a bit more of a sense of urgency which I feel has been missing from all but their Smackdown TV bout.

The Brain
    The only other idea I had was an I Quit match. How many kicks to the dick does it take to get a man to quit?

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan
    The TV deal stuff definitely feels like it may have played a role in how rushed this feels. I don't know if it's going to end up being a mistake long term but it does feel like it has the potential to be just that.
    I strongly believe that's what played a role in this. Wasn't it a NBC-related event the challenge was made at?

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Results now while the deals are being made, worry about the rest later.

Re the Naka Styles stipulation, the Last Man Standing stip just feels stupid to me. Both men were felled to the count of 10 before. What is there to make me believe that isn't a possibility again? I know it most likely won't be, but it's still an odd decision nonetheless.

The Brain
    It'd make great sense... if Nak was already the champion. :/

Well we can't have sensible booking in WWE. That's not allowed!

Count me in on the 'Miz should win the MITB' train as well.

It's probably the toughest MITB to call in a long time. An argument could be made for everyone in it to win, and an argument could be made for just about everyone about why they don't need it.

-Braun could win, or could beat Brock at the next PPV, you never know
    -Finn has never had that Universal Title rematch...but might never get it without MITB
    -Miz has a beautiful built in angle with Bryan and a sneaky title win would add to that but doesn't necessarily need MITB to with the belt on Smackdown
    -Rusev could get the briefcase...or two weeks of consistent booking since he's over enough to have a title match on PPV anyway
    -Roode is probably the lowest guy on the totem pole but if they wanted to strap a rocket to the guy there's no better way
    -KO doesn't need it but it would work so well for his character to have
    -Samoa Joe is probably in that same boat, doesn't need it but the constant threat that he might cash in and murder a Champion is great for him
    -Hopefully Big E is the pick from The New Day, and it'd be really nice to see him win it and call his shot and get a legit run as a top guy

It might be the best MITB line-up ever in that every single guy could win it, and there's not one that I'd be upset if they did.