Thread: Final Fantasy

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar

Final Fantasy

So as a long time casual fan of the series I figured it worth making a thread for the Final Fantasy franchises - surely one of the most prolific RPG series' in gaming history, right?

Historically FFX is my absolute favourite, I totally adore that game and must have played through it about twenty times in my life. I have a lot of affection for VII as well, of course, though admittedly only ever got to like, disc 2 or some such. Still, I know enough about it to know I really like it! XIII is started to get into at one stage, but never got far into it before life started making demands.

Otherwise, I've not much exposure to the franchise. As I say, I'm really just a casual fan.

But what spurred me to post was that I recently downloaded IX and VII on the Switch, when they got released this month. I've never played IX before but am quite enjoying it. Hasn't grabbed me quite like X or VII did when I first played them, but it's still fun. It does look fantastic with its HD upgrade, mind - at least on the portable screen. I'm now trying to surge my way through it so I can get onto giving VII a proper end-to-end playthrough though - the completionist in me won't let me start VII till IX is done!

Anyways, thoughts on the franchise? On the Switch releases, or other releases? Memories, that sort of thing?

FF VII is my favorite, in large part because it was the first I ever played. There is something about the time in the slums, pre-world map, that just puts me in a special place. The story surrounding Cloud is fantastic and Sephiroth is a boss of bosses. I also appreciate the game is so intense that you need an amusement park where your characters can go to blow off steam.

FF IX meant a lot to me, as I was an old-school JRPG fan from 8-Bit Nintendo onward, and IX was a throwback at a time where you knew it would never be like this again.

I never got into VIII like I wanted, but I truly believe I could if time permitted.

FF VI is Final Fantasy VII for some people, as far as it being *that game* in the series. I didn't feel that, but I enjoyed it when I played it. There is another one I enjoyed. IV maybe?

My only advice is take your time on each one. One underrated thing is having great entertainment that is still in front of you.

I've played IV, VII, XIII and tried VI but didn't get into it too much.

I will play the remake of VII, probably my favourite out of the three I've finished. I was a Nintendo guy growing up so I didn't get much exposure to Final Fantasy. I personally prefer the Tales series, but I can imagine the remake of VII will be brilliant.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I've played IV, VII, XIII and tried VI but didn't get into it too much.

I will play the remake of VII, probably my favourite out of the three I've finished. I was a Nintendo guy growing up so I didn't get much exposure to Final Fantasy. I personally prefer the Tales series, but I can imagine the remake of VII will be brilliant.
    Not going to get off topic here, but I just want to say that the Tales series is my favorite JRPG series of all-time, and it's rare to hear/see someone else giving it high-level props.

I won't mention it again, as this is a Final Fantasy thread after all, but Tales of Symphonia deserved much more attention than it got when it came out. Probably put in over 100 hours into that game.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone played XV? Any good?

The Brain
    I played X as a teen and loved the story, the visuals, the music. The gameplay itself was a bit of a grind for me at times but still it remains one of my favorites.

Just this past Christmas I played VII for the first time and ended up loving it even more. It had a story (and music!) just as good as X, and while the visuals were more basic they were still fantastic for me. I even liked the gameplay more, which I didn't expect since I'm typically prefer turn based combat in an RPG.

Those are the only two I know, but I loved 'em both! My friend played (some of?) XV and seemed to enjoy it, but the game was so large I think he lost interest well before completing it, or at least he stopped updating me about it after a while.

I won't mention it again, as this is a Final Fantasy thread after all, but Tales of Symphonia deserved much more attention than it got when it came out. Probably put in over 100 hours into that game.
    Around 2004, I went through one of the most difficult times in my life, a time that I was not equipped to handle back then. I am someone who finds a way to enjoy life or to have meaning even in sorrow, but for about a year-and-a-half, I had no joy and no meaning, not even in sorrow. Then I played Tales of Symphonia, and I'm not sure what it was--the colors, the characters--but it was so lighthearted yet engaging that I smiled and laughed and felt and engaged for the first time in 18 months. It woke me up again. That is my favorite game of all-time for that and what put me on the path to claiming Tales above all other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post

Just this past Christmas I played VII for the first time and ended up loving it even more. It had a story (and music!) just as good as X, and while the visuals were more basic they were still fantastic for me. I even liked the gameplay more, which I didn't expect since I'm typically prefer turn based combat in an RPG.
    It makes me very happy to know you played and enjoyed VII. Any favorite parts of the game, locations in the game, or characters from the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Around 2004, I went through one of the most difficult times in my life, a time that I was not equipped to handle back then. I am someone who finds a way to enjoy life or to have meaning even in sorrow, but for about a year-and-a-half, I had no joy and no meaning, not even in sorrow. Then I played Tales of Symphonia, and I'm not sure what it was--the colors, the characters--but it was so lighthearted yet engaging that I smiled and laughed and felt and engaged for the first time in 18 months. It woke me up again. That is my favorite game of all-time for that and what put me on the path to claiming Tales above all other brands.
    It's certainly in my top 10, I think the only misgiving I could find is that the plot did get a little convoluted, but I'll play it once every few years and revisit it.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    It makes me very happy to know you played and enjoyed VII. Any favorite parts of the game, locations in the game, or characters from the game?
    Unfortunately I knew coming in of the most famous story moment, but that didn't stop me from connecting with Aerith and using her liberally for as long as I had her. She's the one I ended up on a date on, and I was just fine with that. Barret is another one I used a lot, he had the guts to go out and do something in the face of hopeless odds. He emerged from tragedy with a purpose. After Aerith died I found myself using Yuffie a lot, I was attracted to her spirit, mischievous though she may be. When I think back on the game I always think of flying the airship across the word, particularly hunting for the flying weapon that almost destroyed Midgar. When I had to stop the game (it was my brother's copy and my vacation was over) I was trying to work out how to beat Emerald Weapon, but I never did quite take that beast down (I didn't even try Ruby!).

It's certainly in my top 10, I think the only misgiving I could find is that the plot did get a little convoluted, but I'll play it once every few years and revisit it.
    I'd make no argument with that. The plot is usually lower on my list for Tales games. Not that I don't like them, but they can be repetitive and/or convoluted. They make up for it in hybrid battles and awesome flippin' characters though. First time I played a Tales where they talk to each other throughout the world map, joking, arguing, dev. character, I almost couldn't play the next non-Tales RPG: "What?! You guys only talk in towns! You don't speak in battle, on maps, or in dungeons?! Really?!" When a series exposes something like that, my hats off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Unfortunately I knew coming in of the most famous story moment, but that didn't stop me from connecting with Aerith and using her liberally for as long as I had her. She's the one I ended up on a date on, and I was just fine with that. Barret is another one I used a lot, he had the guts to go out and do something in the face of hopeless odds. He emerged from tragedy with a purpose. After Aerith died I found myself using Yuffie a lot, I was attracted to her spirit, mischievous though she may be. When I think back on the game I always think of flying the airship across the word, particularly hunting for the flying weapon that almost destroyed Midgar. When I had to stop the game (it was my brother's copy and my vacation was over) I was trying to work out how to beat Emerald Weapon, but I never did quite take that beast down (I didn't even try Ruby!).
    Even the language you use reminds me of the weightiness of that game. I think that's the one where all the party members are invited to go home and reassess before agreeing to the final dungeon/boss. That's some shit. I didn't know the word "trauma" when I first played it but it's an exercise in trauma studies.

Was a big fan of this series when I still had the time to play them. I've got a save of the remastered X going that I need to get back into at some point, and then I've got X-2 to work through which I've never actually played, so there's an incentive to get through it.

Played VII, VIII, X, and XIII. VIII is probably my favourite, perhaps because I played it first.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."