Detective Comics

I kinda liked learning about some comic book stuff in the previous version of the board, so even though it went quiet towards the end there I'd like to try and get that going again.

Was recently playing a Lego Batman game and came across some characters, Hawkman and Hawkgirl. We didn't know what was going on there. Anyone who can tell me what they're all about, it'd be appreciated.

No comics fans posting huh? Makes me wonder how the old thread became the most popular thing in that part of the board....

Oh well.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Where's Rob to explain all the comics lore that exists? Loved hearing him talk about this stuff in the old thread.

Rob getting super busy with work has definitely been felt, for sure.

OK, well it all depends on which timeline you want to follow.

The original is that Hawkman and Hawkgirl are from the planet Thanagar and they are a race of "people" that have wings, and they are also extremely powerful.

Then there is the ret-con where both are ancient creatures who get constantly reincarnated everytime they die, but always seem to find each other.

You can read up on them online, but they are confusing.

In the Batman Metal story arc they are the latter.

I have no idea what Batman Metal is.

I'm a Marvel guy, always have been. But now, instead of spending $30 a month or so on comics, I spend $10 a month for Marvel Unlimited. I love it, but it does keep me 6 months behind what's going on; kind of makes it hard to discuss things, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    OK, well it all depends on which timeline you want to follow.

The original is that Hawkman and Hawkgirl are from the planet Thanagar and they are a race of "people" that have wings, and they are also extremely powerful.

Then there is the ret-con where both are ancient creatures who get constantly reincarnated everytime they die, but always seem to find each other.

You can read up on them online, but they are confusing.

In the Batman Metal story arc they are the latter.
    That’s also the version they used on the show Legends Of Tomorrow.

In other news, apparently DC started a new “mature” line. In a recent issue of Batman: Damned, it shows Bruce returning to the Batcave and stripping down completely naked. There’s a panel that shows full frontal nudity, and now some woman that leads a “genital rights” advocacy group is making all kinds of noise because Bruce is circumcised. Her thing is how that equates to “child sexual violence/abuse” or some non-sense like that. I wish I was making this up.

These comics ain't for kids anymore lol if they're showing frontal nudity and people are upset over whether Bruce is cicrumsized or not? yikes.

Just another attempt to sell issues. I stopped reading about a year ago after the 147th reboot of both Marvel and DC. Just can't leave well enough alone

I don't care about the reboots but the need to have crossovers/events every month is so overwhelming for a casual fan like me.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    That’s also the version they used on the show Legends Of Tomorrow.

In other news, apparently DC started a new “mature” line. In a recent issue of Batman: Damned, it shows Bruce returning to the Batcave and stripping down completely naked. There’s a panel that shows full frontal nudity, and now some woman that leads a “genital rights” advocacy group is making all kinds of noise because Bruce is circumcised. Her thing is how that equates to “child sexual violence/abuse” or some non-sense like that. I wish I was making this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    These comics ain't for kids anymore lol if they're showing frontal nudity and people are upset over whether Bruce is cicrumsized or not? yikes.
    I read Damned, and it was a faint outline of his penis in the shadow. Go online and look for yourself. it is not that big of a deal, no pun intended. Ans yes, it was an attempt to sell comics. The Bat-cock is only being printed in the first run of the issue, any/all subsequent runs will not have it, neither will the digital issues. The book was already up to $50 on some sites and over $100 on others.

lols but why are they showing a dude's penis in a comic?

Because it’s the new “mature” line, duh.

oh.. I think i missed that part lol.

Here if you really want to see the Bat-cock.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Always figured Bruce would be hung like a horse.

I don't know if Rob is still checking this thread or not, but if he or anyone else who knows the Green Lantern has any recommendations for things that might be worth picking up, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'm kinda biased towards either classic era stuff (so collections of old things might be good) or things with a more grown up animation style - and no, I'm not referring to kind of 'grown up' stuff in the posts above, before anyone asks!

I haven't read much Green Lantern, and not even this entire run, but Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern in the mid 2000s (Starts with Hal Jordan's Rebirth) is considered to be one of the best Green Lantern runs.

Someone with more expertise should help you out though. I like looking around the net to find out about the good runs and go from there.

I haven’t read them, but I’ve heard amazing things about Blackest Night followed up with Brightest Day.

FYI The Batman Who Laughs is getting his own title in December. Awesome, as he is one of the best new characters to debut in years.

Also if you haven't read Damage yet. Pick it up. Another awesome new title. Only 9 books so far. And my bet is that there will eventually be a confrontation with Superman which result in Supes losing the fight.

Finally pick up Heroes in Crisis, newest crossever event. Another really good start to a DC Universe changing event.