Quentin Tarantino

With the trailers out for the next Tarantino movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I thought it might be worth starting a thread.

So, thoughts? Anyone seen the trailer? Or has anyone got a favourite, or a particular appreciation for QT?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I will have to check that out. Love Tarantiono's style, he just has such an incredible ability to styalise and emulate different styles.

This may seem like a very vague notion but he just has a way of making things seem cool too be it by the way he shoots, the costume choices, the dialpuge or the music his characters stick out as 'cool' characters if that makes any sense.

The Brain
    I'm a huge fan of the guy as a director. Death Proof is one of my all time favorite movies and most people don't even talk about it!

Trailer looks sick, will defo watch it in the cinema.

I like his films, but I can't point to one in particular that I find astounding. The closest is probably Inglorious Basterds for me.

That said, he's one of the few directors where you can start watching the movie without knowing and say - this is a Tarantino film. Very distinct style

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Trailer looks very slick, a lot more flashy than The Hateful Eight which I kind of loved in its subdued nature.

I'm a big fan of all of his films. Death Proof was hurt by coming out with Planet Terror in my opinion. I freaking loved Planet Terror.

The Brain
    Ah, I couldn't get into Planet Terror. So much testicle stuff, it just got weird to me. Definitely agree they both suffered from coming out together.

American release date on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is next week. We get it in the Uk a couple of weeks later, in mid August.

Anyone going? Got tickets already? Fed up with Tarantino?

I’m hoping to see it Saturday. It’s got great buzz. I’m interested in seeing Luke Perry’s last role too. I heard he’s got a decent part.

I really liked the movie although it probably could have been trimmed by 30 minutes at least. I don’t feel it ever dragged though.

Leo and Pitt had fantastic chemistry and it’s one of the better buddy duos in recent memory. Both had some fun material to work with and I thought Pitt was awesome in his role. He definitely has an Oscar nom in his future. The ending was batshit crazy too, in a great fun way.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I really liked the movie although it probably could have been trimmed by 30 minutes at least. I don’t feel it ever dragged though.
    That’s how I feel about most Tarantino movies.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I think it's true for most Tarantino movies! There's no more self-indulgent filmmaker going. Once Upon A Time isn't out here yet, and I'll go see it, but I see it with trepidation. I think the man peaked with Inglorious, and I've struggled to really enjoy any of his work since then.

I revisited Kill Bill vol. 1 just the other night. I hadn't seen it for years and recalled really enjoying it - but I found the revisit, frankly, as something of an empty and unsatisfying experience. I've never dug Pulp Fiction and I find Reservoir Dogs to be ok but nothing I'd call special. The less said about the abhorrent Death Proof the better.

Jackie Brown is the one film of his I haven't seen, but I have heard some call it his best. I keep meaning to check that one out.

Ultimately I do think the man has become increasingly indulgent the longer his career has gone on and the more success he's been met with. And the vanity of the whole "the fourth film by Quentin Tarantino" schtick, spare me.

The Brain
    Death Proof is one of my absolute favorite films. Not sure what would make it abhorrent.

Really disliked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the first Tarantino film I really haven't liked at all. It's hard to miss the feet in Tarantino films but he seemed to go out of his way to shove every woman's toes up the audience's noses this time. I didn't see any appeal in Brad Pitt as a pointlessly perfect superman who beat up a bizarrely clownish depiction of Bruce Lee and then heroically bludgeoned two women to death in the climax in strangely comical detail. I thought DiCaprio at the very least did a great job but the film was so long and disjointed that didn't get it very far in my book. Can't say I was a fan, and I typically really enjoy Tarantino. It was a big miss for me though.

Tarantino can be hard to put your finger on. The question, I think, comes down to how much you like what he does or not.

Generally speaking, the more you like what he does the more you're going to be drawn to the 'peak artist' Tarantino, which is the early days. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are the moment where he's doing something a bit out there, and is at his most ambitious and culturally 'relevant', for the lack of a better description. I like those films, but then they were important movies that were only a few years old at an important time for me getting into film. I will say, 'Plan, that if you don't like those two, the odds are you won't like Jackie Brown. What those movies do in terms of a postmodern reworking of their genres, Jackie Brown does for a lot of the blaxploitation tropes of the 1970s. I think it's great, personally, but if you don't like the other two I wouldn't expect this one to be wildly different.

I never saw Death Proof so can't comment on that but I generally got less out of what came after those three I just mentioned in the last paragraph, though I was entertained by Kill Bill, Part One. I actually thought Inglorious Basterds to be the least memorable and interesting of the lot, personally, but I find it tends to be the one that people who don't really like Tarantino latch on to best of all. I think possibly because it's the least "art house" of his films, the one closest to a pretty conventional Hollywood release.

I've enjoyed the two western films that he's done more, since they seem to have returned to the self-conscious playing with tropes of his early films. And I like westerns, so as a fan of those early movies and a fan of westerns, I'm kind of the peak target audience, right? That said, they both are waaay too long and I agree with that point above. And I mentally check out of both when you get to the silly Tarantino bloodshed, and I'm left wondering who actually likes those bits. Self-indulgent isn't even the word anymore, it's way beyond that. But even so, in both cases the length and those silly bits at the end just take the shine off the apple rather than completely ruin it for me.

Not sure what to think of this newest one, based on all I've heard, but on my way to see it today.

What you said about the “silly Tarantino bloodshed”, Prime, is my exact thoughts on Django Unchained. I was super into the entire movie until the last little bit, and it has to do with that final shootout and the ludicrous nature of it. I haven’t watched it again since the initial viewing only because I don’t want to watch an entire movie that I enjoy and cut it off at the end when it gets silly.

Yeah, sounds like we had a similar experience on that one, then.

The thing is, Tarrantino uses blood to such an extent on purpose as a psychological effect on the viewers. It's the red. It's why Dario Argento's Suspiria is considered a horror movie masterpiece. Colors set the tone for the movie, by having the audience essentially build up sentiment or reaction to each scene based on emotional/psychological reactions to certain colors, before the actual plot even comes into play. Red is the most evocative. A little bit of red doesn't evoke as much of a reaction (either on the conscious or subconscious level), but Tarrantino is essentially polarizing violence in his movies, because humans typically obsess/perseverate over violence, anger, hatred more than most other emotions. An overreaction symbolized via an overabundance of blood. His movies are essentially a commentary on the human psyche.

For me, Django and Death Proof are my favorite movies of his. I am as surprised as Miz to see anyone react so negatively to Death Proof. At the least, it was the first horror movie I can ever remember in which the typical "victims" essentially completely flip the script. It sexualizes women, but then empowers them greater than most any horror movie ever has. Not to mention that it seemlessly replaces most of the lead characters halfway through the movie- while still building up audience sentiment. That's no small feat when you think about it. And imo this movie has some of his better dialogue, which tends to be my one big hang up with Tarrantino flicks.

Django I just loved. It was stylistic, and just a tremendous adaptation from the original western. If anything, the blood in that movie has the biggest symbolism in any of his films, breaking free from oppression after being fed up- a violent fury to freedom. So many layers of meaning up for interpretation. I thought it was a very powerful, and plain fun film. (My favorite Samuel L character in Tarrantino films as well.)

I'd say Inglorious was my next favorite. Not so much for any deeper meanings so much as it was simply stylistic, fun, and had the most comedic dialogue of any of his films. That and Christoph Waltz is just so freaking amazing in that movie. His performance alone hooks me in every single time.

If you notice, in most of his films, the main character is often a "minority", or disenfranchised/oppressed gender/race. That plays into the amount of blood he uses. It seems silly at first, but you start to see that his intent is to show the audience that it often takes a shock to the system to make true change.

I really admire that aspect of his storytelling/narration.

Ive heard a lot of bad things about this new movie, which makes me sad. The source material is incredible. This should have been an easy homerun for him. I'll reserve judgement until I watch it, but the press has not been good.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 5 Days Ago at 01:07 PM.

The Brain
    Kleck, my man!! Good to see a fellow Death Proof fan. I can understand if it's not for everyone but it has some great strengths that I think are hard to deny, which you laid out perfectly, not to mention what is inarguably one of the greatest stunt scenes every put to film.

My ratings are, without fail, pretty eclectic, but I'd go thusly purely on my personal taste:

1. Death Proof
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Kill Bill 1
    5. Inglorious Basterds
    6. Kill Bill 2
    7. Djano Unchained
    8. Hateful Eight
    9. Jackie Brown
    10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I'll say that even Jackie Brown I liked quite a bit, though I didn't think it was as stylistically interesting as his other movies. Hollywood was a big shock to me, I really thought I'd enjoy it but even with some good elements I was overall turned off from the film.

Oh I know Tarantino's got his reasons for using blood to that extent, and I've taught classes where I've had to dive into some of that stuff above. But of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to go along with those reasons. I still think it does more harm than good, personally. I'm not pushed into one camp or another by it at that kind of level, but I honestly just switch off, and I think that's a way more common reaction than what is being aimed at.

I wonder if you two ranking Death Proof so highly has to do with your being pretty big horror fans? People's rankings of his films do, in my experience, track to the sort of films they already like - me going with the westerns, martial arts fans going with the Kill Bills, etc.

The Hateful Eight was an interesting one for me, because I've done a bit of work in that period and it was one of the only ones that didn't really come off as historically superficial. I don't know if that's by accident or design or not, but there's generally not really any of that stuff by design, but in this one knowing a little bit about the nineteenth century was actually really helpful.... y'know, until the objections raised above, anyway. But yeah, thought that was unusual for one of his movies.

Didn't get to see the new one yesterday in the end, will try for the weekend.

The Brain
    The kind of film Death Proof is could definitely have something to do with it.

Interesting take on Hateful Eight, I didn't think about it that way but I could see it. The only thing I remember disliking in that movie is the sudden switch to narration to start spelling some stuff out for the audience 2/3rds of the way through. Such a random device to suddenly start using and really going in the face of show, don't tell. He repeats the same thing in Hollywood too, seems like a lazy technique, and I thought there was a lot less good in Hollywood to help me look past it.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I'm as surprised to see people calling Death Proof his best as you guys are at seeing me revile it. I just think it's rubbish, and a painfully obvious example of something that was once a shorter half of a double bill needlessly padded out with unnecessary dialogue scenes to create a movie that 'had' to be released on its own and, I'm sure entirely by coincidence, make ol' QT a whole bunch more money than it would've made him being half of a Grindhouse two-for.

But it could be worse. It could be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I have now seen and would consider his worst - by virtue of being his most undisciplined and indulgent - movie yet.

The Brain
    At least we agree on that last part, Plan!

But I will say, surely "unnecessary dialogue scenes" is one of Tarantino's biggest calling cards? One that I actually quite enjoy, in most cases anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sure I disagree with 'Plan on the whole, but slick dialogue really for it's own sake is pretty much the whole point when it comes to Tarantino.