View Poll Results: Which decade has the best music?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1950s

0 0%
  • 1960s

1 12.50%
  • 1970s

0 0%
  • 1980s

2 25.00%
  • 1990s

2 25.00%
  • 2000s

3 37.50%
  • 2010s

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Music's Best Decade

Let's get a bit of action going around this bit of the board with one of our polls. These things always seem to go down well, and this time it's the ultimate question.

Taken as a whole - so you can consider anything you like - what decade has the best popular music?

If you pick 'other' than please specify by replying.

I love sludge metal, groove metal, nu metal and grunge so I'm gonna go with 90s.

For me it is very hard, in terms of influence on the music I love it is hard to go past what the 60s did for rock. The 70s also gets a shout out for that reason too. However when I actually look at the music I listen to most it keeps coming back to the 00s. It is of course the years I was in my teens and very early 20s so it is a little stereotypical to pick that era of your life but I just can't go past it when it comes to my personal favourites.

Everything in the 80s sounds awesome to me. Every other decade I am dictated by a genre or two.

I nearly picked the 80s just for Thrash Metal e.g Metallica, Slayer etc but there was also some really, really bad pop music from the 80s I can't forgive.

Although if I'm looking at it that way, all the boy/girl bands from the 90s make me wanna puke.

It is funny how in the popular version of music history as told by the the big music history chroniclers like Rolling Stone & VH1 that after the creativity of the 60s and 70s the 80s were largely filled with over produced music that was toppled by its own hubris. According to that version of music history it wasn't until Nirvana and grunge in the 90s that music got back on track.

Not something I agree with but what you guys said certainly shows how flimsy that popular narrative is.

I do love me some cheesy pop!!

If I was going specific genre wise I'd be looking at Soul/Motown in the 60s and 70s.

The 90s I was aged 10-19 so it's prime memory music. Obviously got caught up in the Brit pop scene a bit and love me some 90s R&B however the pure stench of dance music through the decade kinda sets a general tone that brings it down. Although I will admit to buying 2 Ace of Base and 2 Vengaboys CDs back in the day
    Last edited by Mazza; 05-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.

A tough one to pick. I started getting in to rock in the 90s, but really found the majority of the bands I identified with the most in the 00s. And so many albums in that decade that have made me just not like modern music that much.

I must be getting old....(32)
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

This has just a couple of weeks left on the poll.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Tie between the 00s and 80s that is VERY surprising to me, the oh so important general narrative as put forward by a number of music commentators is that the 60s were the greatest decade and then the grunge movement in the 90s saved music from the excess of the 70s and particuarlly the 80s and the 00s are when they started putting pop stars in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Not saying I agree with them at all but interesting that given our small sample size these are the results.

Lol, I think the conventional narrative has the edge here. Can make some sort of case for the eighties but I can truly only put 2000s doing so well down to sample bias.

I think the 80s is very underrated because it created some very memorable cheesy pop and the hair metal boom was also pretty cheesy, however there is some truly groundbreaking music from that decade, not to mention the birth of rap msuic and the formation of those 90s grunge, britpop and indie scenes that get a lot of love.

I'd also say there was a lot of innovation around the synth and digitisation of music which are two very influential pieces of progress.

I think most of the groundbreaking work - including in electronic music and hip-hop, actually - was really done in the 1970s, to be fair. But I do still think you could make a case for it anyway. It is the decade where a lot of things that had been just underground were brought into the mainstream.

Ultimately it is nearly impossible to mount a serious argument for anything other than the 60s. So much was going on then, so much of what music even to this day is built on was put in place then. Even something as fundamental as the popularisation of the imperfect but authentic singer has got to be right up there in terms of game changing.

I'll go with 90s, but it's a close call. My knowledge is very genre based pre-80s (Soul/Motown basically). I'm not really a keen Rock fan, be it original Rock or any sub-genres from it. But can appreciate it's place and importance in the 70s and 80s.

90s just had it all, and mostly good. Was born in 1990, so perhaps a factor too.

I find that while 00s were good to decent, there was also a lot of trash and I'd say maybe quite a bit of copycat artists/songs. I'd theorise that is due to the explosion of the Internet, but I'm not sure.

Music this decade has been shit by and large. Hardly ever like more than a dozen songs released each year.
    Last edited by Gooner; 06-28-2018 at 12:10 PM.

The Brain
    I'm sample biased as hell but I picked the 00s because that's where a lot of my favorite music came from. So there!!

Ha, I actually meant the forum was sample biased because of the average profile of our membership, but good of you to admit it!