Thread: Sasha Banks

Sasha Banks

Sasha Banks wants out. She either quit or tried to quit WWE this past weekend and has now been given a few weeks to see if she'll change her mind.

Just read that. If it's true in terms of reporting, it seems she may have been upset about losing to the IIconics and Mania. Which seems extremely petty.

Also on the way out - Road Dogg has stepped down has head of creative on the Smackdown side, and Archibald Peck has quit as a writer. Not clear whether Road Dogg has just left his role or quit/been fired. Both are reported to have left due to conflicts with Vince directly, Peck possibly over writing the speech Bret gave at the HoF where he mentioned Vince, which is apparently a big no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Just read that. If it's true in terms of reporting, it seems she may have been upset about losing to the IIconics and Mania. Which seems extremely petty.
    It'll doubtless seem that way to a fan of the IIconics. If you put yourself in her shoes for a minute it's easier to follow.

Imagine you're not happy with... pretty much anything, about the way you're being used. Now say you get given a new title, and you are allowed to believe that you'll be able to hold on to the belts for a good run and will be entrusted with building up those titles to give them some prestige. Then imagine you're told at the last minute that you're going to lose them to a team that most people see as no more than a comedy act.

Put in that way, and seen as a 'straw that broke the camel's back' rather than a sole cause, I think it's a lot easier to understand where she's coming from here (if, indeed, the reported story is true).

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I'm with Pete, I can't really blame Sasha if she's frustrated and wants out. She was poised more than once to be the biggest female star of this generation and keeps getting shoved to the back of the line. I'm not even the biggest Sasha fan, honestly, but it's clear they're leaving a lot on the table with her. Hope she finds a place where she'll be satisfied and able to maximize her potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I don't know what reports you're reading Ollie but the only thing the IIconics have to do with this story is the fact they were involved in the match. Both Meltzer and Sean Ross Sapp have made it clear Sasha (and Bayley's) frustrations have nothing to do with dropping the belts to the IIconics; in fact if you do a bit of research you'll find that Sasha is not only friends with both of them but stated that they were the only other team worthy of winning the titles first. The issue here is that WWE told both Bayley and Sasha they would be holding the titles for awhile in order to establish them and would be allowing them to defend the belts on RAW, Smackdown and NXT. This is all after Sasha and Bayley campaigned for these titles mind you. Then either a day before the show or even right before their match they get told their plans are changed, followed by the next night WWE booking them to lose to Alexa Bliss in a handicap match. After all that, not to mention all the curious booking Sasha has endured already, I'm kind of surprised there's even any wiggle room for her wanting to return.

So no; this has nothing to do with the IIconics. It has to do with yet another broken promise to Sasha by WWE and her just having enough of it. I expect they'll find a way to keep her, if only because her contract may not be up for awhile (there were reports she signed an extension last year, although it was from an unreliable source so who knows?). But there's definitely been a breakdown in that relationship that WWE is going to have a difficult time fixing, if at all.

Did they pinky swear with sprinkles on top too? I highly doubt they promised her anything. I can't picture Vince promising anything. She may have been told that's the direction they were going, and then it was changed like oftentimes happens.

I hope she leaves when her contract is up because she deserves much better, but enough with the hurt feelings. This is business.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 1 Week Ago at 12:26 PM.

Vince doesn't make promises. He'll drop a lot of "what if's" and people take that to mean that's definitely the real plan for sure, but until it is finalized in a booking meeting it's no a "promise".

The difference I'm seeing in people is hilarious. So many fans are trying to take WWE to task for the fact that she doesn't like her booking and she had that title stolen from her when she deserves to still have it. But the workers only Facebook pages that I'm on are full of "It's work Sasha, if you take it this personally, you're in the wrong business."

Reminds me of this one time a girl I know won a belt and came back through the curtain in tears. One of the boys -- this is one of the most travelled and in-demand guys in Canada -- turns to me and asks if she's hurt. I tell him no, and he says, "Oh. She knows it's a work? Someone should really smarten her up."

Just made me chuckle.

Seriously though, I've long believed Sasha to be not very good, so if she wants to leave then let her go. I think she's sloppy and willing to take stupid bumps, cries when she achieves anything and is "So Passionate™", so it's managed to convince people that she's great. But she's not. So let her walk. Give Mia Yim her favourable positioning.

EDIT: I have to give credit where it's due. I think that The Iiconics are bad. Like, actively bad. Not just "not good" but aggressively terrible. But they were everywhere they needed to be at Mania. They held their own, they didn't botch anything, they didn't look out of their depth, they did great. I hope that they're motivated to keep that up.

EDITII: While I'm here putting over the Women, Bianca Belair deserves a lot of credit. She's going to be one of the greats. She's just over three years since the first time she stepped into a ring, and she gets it. There was this one moment in the NXT match where she was waiting to catch either a moonsault of or cross body. She was a second or two too fast on being into position and rather than stand there looking like a fool ready to make the catch -- like a lot of wrestlers would have -- she kept her sell going, dropped to a knee and fed back around into position a second time. That's some veteran shit you don't see a lot of people doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Vince doesn't make promises. He'll drop a lot of "what if's" and people take that to mean that's definitely the real plan for sure, but until it is finalized in a booking meeting it's no a "promise".

The difference I'm seeing in people is hilarious. So many fans are trying to take WWE to task for the fact that she doesn't like her booking and she had that title stolen from her when she deserves to still have it. But the workers only Facebook pages that I'm on are full of "It's work Sasha, if you take it this personally, you're in the wrong business."

Reminds me of this one time a girl I know won a belt and came back through the curtain in tears. One of the boys -- this is one of the most travelled and in-demand guys in Canada -- turns to me and asks if she's hurt. I tell him no, and he says, "Oh. She knows it's a work? Someone should really smarten her up."

Just made me chuckle.

Seriously though, I've long believed Sasha to be not very good, so if she wants to leave then let her go. I think she's sloppy and willing to take stupid bumps, cries when she achieves anything and is "So Passionate¬ô", so it's managed to convince people that she's great. But she's not. So let her walk. Give Mia Yim her favourable positioning.

Coach, you know you're my guy and I know you're a promoter as well as a worker so you're going to have a different outlook. It doesn't change that this post is rubbish.

Yes, maybe Vince McMahon never explicitly said "I promise you this Sasha!" and all that noise but Vince is also the same guy who has said "do this for me and I'll owe you pal!" to superstars before. Am I really supposed to get mad at a worker for then not being happy when the asshole then doesn't keep his word? Especially when it's happened millions of times before. This is what everyone, including you, seems to be forgetting. This isn't because Sasha lost a title over the weekend. It's about how, ever since she came up from NXT, her run has been the following; being stuck in a dead end stable with Naomi and Alicia Fox, playing hot potato with Charlotte over a title for no logical reason other than just to do it, disappearing into the nether, beginning a feud with Bayley that was so terrible WWE restarted it seemingly fifteen different times to diminishing results each successive attempt, starting a tag team with Bayley when there was no women's tag division to speak of, winning the tag belts and then losing them not even two months later after a forgettable build to a forgettable match to a team that, by your own admission, sucks. And after all that they then told her to go out there with Bayley and lose to a woman who hasn't wrestled in months in a squash. How is anyone supposed to smile and just take all of that after a prolonged period of time?

And here's the other thing your missing; we can sit here and judge how good Sasha is or isn't all we like but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. What matters is how over you are and how much business you move. Sasha has been over since she debuted on RAW; I distinctly recall her getting loud "We Want Sasha!" chants back when WWE was doing didly squat with her. I know for a fact her feud with Charlotte a few years ago were very strong ratings wise. Many people report that Sasha is one of the highest selling superstars when it comes to merchandise. So with all that in mind, quite frankly, I don't give a shit if she's the greatest thing since kingdom come or is so bad she makes Billie Kae look like Fenix doing a double jump springboard arm drag (and she's nowhere near that bad). She's over, she can be a draw and she can move merch. It doesn't matter how or why, it just matters that it's so, and unlike Roman Reigns it didn't take WWE just pushing her nonstop to make it happen. And yet despite all of that, all they've done with her booking wise since she's left NXT is given her a few short, meaningless title reigns and long extended periods of nothing to do. If it were me, I knew I was over and I believed I should be doing more, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves as well.

So don't bring in this whole "she does know this a work, right?" bullshit, "Vince McMahon doesn't make promises" bullshit and all this other stuff that doesn't really apply to this situation. The booking doesn't lie. The other stuff doesn't lie. Whatever Sasha Banks is as an in ring worker means nothing when she's one of the most over people WWE has and yet hasn't been booked as such. That's all that matters, and as such I don't blame her at all for not taking that shit anymore.

Sorry, I spoke poorly - my point wasn't that Sasha had an issue with losing to the IIconics, just an issue with losing the titles - which, I mean, it happens, right? That's wrestling. But I can totally see it as a straw that broke the camel's back moment, especially only 6 weeks after winning. And the explanation around it from Cult up there makes a lot of sense, in a way, and if I was Sasha or Bayley I'd be super disappointed with how my main roster run has gone.

When I watched the Rumble the only person to get a pop even close to rivalling Becky's was Bayley, with Sasha just behind her. That comes from a Bayley fanboy perspective, completely, but seemed true on the night. I can't believe they haven't tried to position her as at least the number 2 face on either roster by now, if not the number 1.

I'll be stunned if the IIconics are nothing more than transitional champions the the Sky Pirates of Shirai and Sane, by the way. That's who I fancy as being Paige's team for next week.

You know, I don't even really see those two positions as really mutually exclusive (maybe you have to dial parts back a bit, but in their essence). The way I see it, it's perfectly possible to think that Sasha isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and that Vince is entitled to change up his plans for his business as he sees fit, and at the same time to think that if Sasha is unhappy and feels undervalued and then has the one thing that made her have some optimism taken away, that she's perfectly entitled to ask to leave and see if she can prove that she can do all she feels she can somewhere else.

There's also definitely enough here to bring this out into a thread of it's own.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think Sasha will ask for her release. She feels justifiably slighted in every way. During Mania I remember Graves stating that Sasha has never successfully defended her titles. I'm sure that was Vince in his ear taking shots at Sasha.

She should ask for the release. It is clear that Charlotte is the golden child. Becky had to fight her way to the top, but Vince will inevitably squander her and end up having Becky drop the title to Lacey who is the next chosen one. AND Vince still loves Nia and Bliss, so Sasha will probably not get another shot at the title.

She should get released, wait her 90 days, and then sign with AEW.

Man, I think I just got Powder bingo:

- Charlotte disparaging
    - Vince squandering opportunities
    - Vince loving someone
    - Someone to leave and sign with AEW

Pretty sure that's a full house, can someone check for me?

Sasha has reportedly told WWE she's not turning up for work this week.

If the shoe fits for me and Vince...

She just tweeted out about the show tonight and the report of her not showing up was by Brad Shepherd, who isn't exactly a reliable inside. We'll see but my guess is she'll be there tonight and things have either been smoothed over or she's just going to work through it.

At the end of the day, as much as I would support her leaving to go wherever, I just have no idea how that would happen. We've seen with Neville and the Revival (who did want out by the way) that WWE will not let you go without resistance and that was before there was another promotion run by billionaires getting TV deals with TNT. Assuming she's signed on for the next few years (there were reports she signed a multi-year deal last year, but those are from unreliable sources as well), her giving her notice and going home will just mean she sits at home for a long time because I just can't see WWE willingly releasing her in this wrestling landscape. Her only recourse would be to fight it legally and who knows how that long would take. So even if she was trying to get out (and I'm dubious now after that tweet), I just don't see how it would be possible. One way or another she's stuck and has to make the best of it.

Her tweets and IG posts yesterday and today don't seem to line up w/ the rumors. I'll bet she's fine.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

I don't see WWE just letting her leave. A star the level of Sasha, at the stage Sasha is in, could really add a lot of legitimacy to AEW and at least Triple H knows this. She's only 27, and has at least another 4-5 years of prime performance. Even though many women leave earlier than men to start families in wrestling, that's usually not until their early-30's. Looking at the division right now, Charlotte, Becky, and Ronda are all 32, and even if Becky and Charlotte don't want families, they can't keep fighting each other forever. You'll need to elevate other women in the division, and Sasha is a perfect candidate to do that. She is more valuable now that at anytime since her main roster debut.

I think that Sasha Banks is a lot of things. I think that she's not very good. I think that she's somewhat of an entitled brat who's bought in to her own NXT hype. I think that she's emotionally not tough enough for the pro wrestling industry. I think if she does leave she's going to be an Austin Aries who quits every other company she's in the second things stop going her way.

BUT, I don't think she's stuck in WWE. If she wants to leave and it's going to make her happier, I'm all for that.

And I sometimes think that wrestlers are either too scared to quit, or don't realize the amount of power they truly have. And when I say quit, I don't mean go to Vince and ask nicely or her release. I mean fucking quit.

Funny enough, I worked a TV taping this weekend for a national network that has to remain nameless for the time being. A friend of mine had a dispute with the promoter about, among other things, the lack of a substantial pay boost for working a national TV taping. The promoter wouldn't hear his concerns, so he went out and had a match that could never be used for TV. He flipped off people in the crowd, he cursed right into the roaming camera, and was otherwise a cock (keeping in mind that this is completely on brand for his character anyway). He put on one hell of a match that ensured every person in that crowd would want to see him wrestle again, but now that promoter is out 20 minutes of time on his TV taping.

At the end of the day, wrestling is a live performance. If she, or Neville or The Revival wanted out of their contracts so badly, what's to stop them from going out on live national TV and quitting? What's to prevent skipping their pre-rehearsed entrance with all of the carefully timed camera cuts and just marching to the ring, putting on whatever match they want, regardless of what the agent has put together for them, and marching to the back when all is said and done? They don't have to get WWE fined for swearing on TV, and they're still technically doing the job they're paid to do, but they're saying fuck it to the promoter. If WWE sends Banks home, she can call Wendy Williams back and go on her show to tell the world, straight up, that she wants out of her contract but WWE won't let her. Shit, she has almost two million Twitter followers to publicly lament to.

I don't agree with Sasha's mindset. But if anyone wants to quit and WWE won't let them quit, then all they have to do is QUIT and eventually WWE won't have a choice. Are you burning that bridge? Are you going to make other promoters nervous? Maybe. But if you think you're a big enough star to command top money someplace else, then take a gamble on yourself.

We have to disagree, because I am all for Sasha's mindset. If you feel you are worth something, get your worth, you feel you need a promotion, go out and get your promotion. Get your worth and don't settle. To think of her as an entitled brat is interesting because she's been in WWE for a while and no one has reported her being a brat. And we'd know if she's a lockerroom problem. Hell, her and Bayley took pictures with the IIconics after their match. I'm sure her beef isn't with the lockerroom at all, and more with the front office.

Oh, I don't think her mindset of wanting what you believe you're worth is a bad thing. I think her mindset of reportedly essentially throwing a fit and threatening to quit because she didn't get the title reign that she felt they were supposed to get is stupid.

There have been reports of her, and Bayley, very passive aggressively "speaking loudly" about how unhappy they were about losing the titles and "laying on the floor in protest"(?). That's shit my sisters would have done in high school and ANYONE in ANY other workplace would have been Uncle Phil'd the hell out of the building.

EDIT: But seriously, if you want out, get out. Don't give them a choice.

Someone needs to get a gif of Jazz getting tossed now.

Oh, I don't think her mindset of wanting what you believe you're worth is a bad thing. I think her mindset of reportedly essentially throwing a fit and threatening to quit because she didn't get the title reign that she felt they were supposed to get is stupid.

There have been reports of her, and Bayley, very passive aggressively "speaking loudly" about how unhappy they were about losing the titles and "laying on the floor in protest"(?). That's shit my sisters would have done in high school and ANYONE in ANY other workplace would have been Uncle Phil'd the hell out of the building.

That's shit that happens all the time in the lockerr ooms in wrestling. We hear about it all the time after the fact. Bottom line was they were professional with the IIconics afterwards, maybe they had a moment, everybody has a moment. Michael Cole was reported to be yelling at people. It's stressful, people's attitude is short, and at the end of the day, what seemed like some passive aggressive shit might have been brushed off by others in the lockerroom if it was any other day. But on WM, other women might have looked at it like, these women are crazy to do this now. Whatever happens, happens, but to judge them based off that day is stupid.

Editted to add this video. I have to agree with Solomonster.

Last edited by LWO4Life; 5 Days Ago at 01:27 PM.

After all the reports by Dave Meltzer you've taken with a grain of salt you choose to believe that bullshit by Ryan Satin?! For one it wasn't even a report; Satin lacked confidence in what he was told to the point that he just released it in a serious of tweets and then today tried to walk back on it by insinuating he wasn't suggesting they were complaining. Two, no other reporter, including Meltzer and Sean Ross Sapp (who both corroborated each other's story on Sasha) heard about this or reported on it. If this had happened, one or both of them would've absolutely heard about it and the only other "dirtsheet" to corroborate Satin was WrestleVotes, one of the most unreliable news sources in wrestling. Three, Satin himself admitted that he didn't even reach out to the sources; they all reached out to him. Any wrestling reporter will tell you that is highly unusual activity and a high sign that someone is looking to push an agenda; in this case that Sasha and Bayley were crybabies. And finally, all the WWE wrestlers who spoke out on this "issue" (most notably Mike Bennett) defended Sasha and Bayley and gave no indication that this thing happened.

There's no sign that Satin's story was credible, and that's before I get into the fact that Satin himself isn't all that credible. There are rumors he has falsified and stolen stories before (hell some say that's why TMZ fired him) and based on personal experiences I can believe it. Myself and the website I report on have dealt with him; back in February we leaked information to him about a big lucha star that he reported on, with a deal that we'd then release other details of the situation later. No sooner did he post his initial story, Satin then decided to renege on our agreement and post the story himself to get all the credit; we were fortunate to already have the jump on him and beat him to the punch (it wound up being one of our first big exclusives I'm happy to say). That's the type of guy he is. He can be a good reporter but he will not keep his word and he cannot be trusted with many situations. This is one of them. I don't know if this was him trying to twist the narrative, if he was fed faulty information by sources intending to humiliate him or what, but I can tell you that story cannot be trusted in the slightest, especially if you don't trust more reliable reporters to begin with.