Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cricket Thread

Kind of shows my point about being able to fight back in ODI if you are in a tight spot. England have done very well.

Also shows the class of England, there was a similar kind of moment in Australia's last match against Bangladesh where Finch & Warner got off to a flyer. When Kawaja came in he was just able to easily kick on, Warner also hit the accelerator and then Maxwell came in to score 30 off like 10 balls. Australia ended up on 380 and the game was over, instead when Finch & Maxwell got so well in England were able to up the pressure and have now really dislodged Australia from that great position they were in.

I do see the point about ODI but I also feel like it's so in the middle that it kind of pleases no one. There's none of the epic sweep of a test match that appeals to me, but similarly I can imagine it not being fast enough, or having the impetus to the big hits, for the T20 fan.... that said, I give both of the shorter forms about as much attention as each other.

Good score if you want to make a game of it from Australia. Not un-gettable, but certainly enough that England will have to play better than we've seen so far.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The evolution of the 50 over game has been so remarkable. 286 used to be considered a pretty high score in the format, I feel - now I look at it and think it's probably below par.

Bit wary of saying that, given England have yet to bat...

Root gone, I'd say that's probably that.

Haven't seen the dismissal yet, was thinking poor technique for Vince but if they're falling like skittles you wonder if it's the conditions and 280+ is actually pretty decent.

Wow that was a nice surprise to wake to.

Australia’s biggest strength for a number of years has been its bowling and boy did that show this match.

I imagine warning bells are ringing in the England camp now. How are the local press taking it?
    Last edited by SirSam; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.

I think there's some recognition that it's not an awful result because of the qualities of Australia, but that England were poor, and they've left themselves with everything to do. There's a feeling that they aren't incapable of winning both games and progressing, but at the same time.... there's big clamour to get Roy back into the side.

But yeah, we bowled poorly early on and then you bowled well, and we never looked like dealing with it. Worthy winners in the end, and it wasn't close.

England have just kept their tournament alive with a huge win over India.

.... and they make the semi-finals for the first time since 1992, with a big one over New Zealand.

Tournament saved, I guess.

Amazing catch by their guy to get rid of Eoin Morgan though.

Bloody hell. New Zealand beat India. Australia three down quickly. What the hell is happening?

That was perfect from England. So, naturally, they'll get hammered by NZ...

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Eeeeeennnngggggg-er-llllllaaaaannddddddd!

Huge slice of luck and a massive technicality but who the fuck cares.

Interesting to hear that apparently there was a bit of a cock-up in the scoring, and that England probably shouldn't have got the draw. But not a lot you can do about it now, I suppose.