Thread: MLB Season 2019

MLB Season 2019

No one started a thread for this as yet? I figured there'd be a bit of Mets talk if nothing else, giving they are doing pretty well this time out.

Bizarre-o world in the AL East after last year, with Boston dead last and one of the worst records in the American League, and Tampa Bay running the show.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Padre's early season form? They're intriguing me a little bit at the moment, though I'm no expert by any means.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Transgender Terror
    Punkass slumping Mariners, btw. Get my hopes up, will they?

Slumping? They are the best team in the MLB right now, with a dinger in 20 straight games!!!!

Transgender Terror
    Five losses in a row though. They're the reason I have a collection of vodka bottles in my bedroom right now. They're turning me into Serena van der Woodsen (I had to fit that in sonehow).

Okay not really, but...

What on earth is a Serena Van Der Woodsen? Is it related to James Van Der Beek?

Just logged into my twitter to a video of Xander Bogaerts hitting a grand slam.

Another tough season for the reds but at least they are nt so far off the pace as last year

We are a quarter of the way into the season, and so far Peter Alonso has been everything the Mets had hoped he would be.

But I know how MLB works. If we ended the season today, would he be the NL ROY?

My guess it is between Alonso and Verdugo of the Dodgers.

Splits:
    Alonso: Games 47, .260/16/36, .951 OPS
    Verdugo: Games 47, .318/4/23, .884 OPS

Yes Verdugo has a higher average, but Alonso is much more productive.

Quick glance at the bookies and seems the current favourites are the Dodgers, Yankees and Astros.

Who you got?

Nothing, huh?

Anyone want to explain to me the turnaround at the Giants?

Just looking at their recent results - 2/3 against the Cubs, 3/4 against the Mets, 4/4 against the Rockies, 2/3 against the Brewers, 2/3 against the Cardinals, 3/3 against the Padres... I mean basically they haven't come off worse on a series over the past month.

They brought in some young talent like Dickerson and Yastramski and that combined with Sandoval playing well, that ignited the team's offense. Nor sure it will last but its taken trading Bumgarner off the table.

Some of the facts about the NY Mets run since the All Star Break.

1. 21-6 record for a .778 winning percentage
    2. They went from 10 games under .500 to 5 games over
    3. They are currently .5 games out of the wild card, after jumping 10 teams at the ASB
    4. They are 14-1 in their last 15 games
    5. They are the hottest team in baseball

I'm blaming you for the loss, Powder. You couldn't wait one day to ruin it with this post? lol.

It was 2 bad calls by the home umpire. The Juan Soto non-strike out, and the JD Davis Strike out. Both calls against the Mets changed the game.

Errors happen, but 2 blown strike calls...unacceptable.

Well the missed calls are acceptable cause they happen every game. Lol hopefully robo umps in near future

Mets aren’t doing anything against good teams if Diaz continues to be trash

I'm probably going to get the details of this wrong but sounds like Chris Sale just got 2000 k's in fewer innings than anyone else has done it....

You are correct sir.

What a weird sixth inning that was in Red Sox/Orioles.

So Alonso has this ROY thing all wrapped up, huh.

48 dingers and 111 RBIs, .946 OPS to date.

Monster year.

NL Cy Young should go to DeGrom once again, take a look:

Innings Pitched: 204 second in NL
    SO: 255 NL leader
    ERA: 2.43 second in NL by .02 RPG
    Hits allowed: 154, 1 less than Ryu in 30 more innings
    WHIP: .97 NL leader
    opponents OPS: .580 NL Leader
    WAR: 7.3 NL Leader
    SOP9I: 11.25 4th in NL
    HRP9I: .838 2nd in NL

it will. Nice of the Mets to waste two years like this. Went a total of 28-36 in Degrom's starts the last two years which is crazy.

Yup. They do not score runs for the guy.

We are hoping that the Wilpons do something this off season. Like look at Rendon. Give that guy a 4 year $120 million contract.

Just imagine having McNeill, Rosario, Alonso, Conforto and Rendon in the same daily lineup. But we know that the Wilpons will not open their wallet.

They still have Cespedes, I believe Wright and Cano money to pay. I would try to sign someone like Puig to a short term deal (i think he would love NY and play well under the bright lights) and stick McNeil at third. Also give Wheeler a new deal. The issue for the Mets is they don't have a plan beyond next year and a weak farm system so you might as well go all in for next year... yet it will be half measures again.

I can't see how they pass the Braves who are run way better and have young talent that win games. Also Callaway should be gone but I bet he'll stay cause they don't want to owe him money.

Getting to a wild card game is nice but that still is gonna take 90 wins at least and frankly that shouldn't be the major goal. Winning the division should be.
    Last edited by LK3185; 09-26-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Cespedes will always be a question mark, but his money is still on the books so it is what it is.

Wright's money is off since he retired, and also yes, adding Cano to potential lineup is even better. He can drop to 6th or 7th in the order.

i agree to giving a new contract to Wheeler, but we need a true 3rd baseman. I would honestly keep McNeil in right, and Conforto in center if we can get Cespedes back and healthy, and adding Rendon.

Possibility...
    1. McNeil
    2. Rosario
    3. Alonso
    4. Rendon
    5. Conforto
    6. Cespedes
    7. Cano
    8. Ramos
    9. Pitcher

That would be pretty formidable.

i do not want Puig. He is a head case, that would add nothing to the lineup.
    Last edited by Powder; 09-26-2019 at 10:09 AM.

playing Conforto in Center means we wouldn't have a true CF. Something the team would need if you're playing Cespedes in a corner spot. Honestly, they should have signed Lorenzo Cain years ago.

Not wrong, but you have to make do with what you have. How many runs would Conforto and Cespedes give up in the outfield vs how many runs will they produce is where you have to make a decision, and I would lead towards the producing runs. The two of them would potentially create more runs then they would let up defensively. They would not have errors, but maybe let up a few more doubles. besides Conforto is not that bad, but who knows what Cespedes will be next year.

Fucking Nationals won.

I am only upset b/c they are one of my Mets' rivals. But the best part is that Harper said no to their offer last offseason and they went and won without him. Now let's see what happens with Rendon, who already turned down a 7 year $210-215 million contract offer. Why, that is 30+ million a year until he is 36-37 years old? No one will give him more or more years. And Strasburg. Apparently he is going to opt out of his remaining 4 years at $100 million. Again why? He is 31, and will be guaranteed $100 million until he is 35. No one will give a 31 year old pitcher a 7 year deal any more.

I do not understand either player. 210 million is hard to turn down and Strasburg will not get more than 25 million a year from anyone else, especially since Gerrit Cole is 29 (2 years younger) and likely to win the Cy Young and is an UFA.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-31-2019 at 10:11 AM.