Slammiversary XVI

We're around a couple of months off from Slammiversary XVI from Toronto. So here's a thread to discuss the event, which I'm sure will get busier as it gets closer.

Definitely feels like there are more eyes on Impact now than in the past, and a much higher percentage of what I hear is positive.

The Brain
    This was up on Wikipedia, so hpoefully it doesn't count as spoilers (or flat out lies)!

I see right now Aries vs. Moose is booked. I'm down with this and I'm inclined to say Moose should walk away with the victory. I think he's a (relatively) home grown guy they can really build around. He has some name value and a lot of raw talent, so I'd like to see them give it a real try with him.

I also saw Su Yung booked against Rosemary. I'm a big fan of Rosemary and thinks she deserves a big spotlight. I haven't seen Su Yung in years, didn't think much of her as a rookie but she's clearly transformed herself and gotten a lot of positive attention lately, so I'm all about her getting a spotlight as well. The KO division has been sort of a revolving door in recent years but they generally seem to have a talented core of people involved, which is a major positive.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    I just got my ticket from secure box office, I think the show is now completely sold out so that's a good sign that there will be actual TNA/Impact! fans attending although based on the most recent BFG in Ottawa, I don't know if they're appealing to a "smart" Toronto crowd. Based on what I've seen thus far I wasn't aware Pentagon Jr. lost the Championship so quickly to Aries, but with the way Moose and always have interacted, I'm not surprised they're facing off. Actually dissatisfied with that being the main event however I'm looking forward to seeing the new LAX tear up the ring against Zema Ion and that other guy (can't remember) unless they hotshot the belts back or move forward with another team.
    Im not up to date with spoilers but I would love to see an ultimate x match or a King of the Mountain ladder match live.

I thought for sure in late 2016/early 2017 that TNA was done and I'm pissed i never got to see a TNA show in company history so this is me making up for it now. Ao help me God if they book a shit card....

The Brain
    Definitely a bummer that Penta lost the title so fast. A misstep honestly, but I guess not a big one as they seem to still be doing alright.

Match quality hasn't reached it's prime again but they are using most of the rosterpositively. I'm not looking forward to a Fallah bah versus KM match or a tag team run either. Su-Yung feels like the literal embodiment of Jimmy Jacobs 'zombie princess' gimmick and despite how I feel about the triangle storyline between rosemary, Allie and Yung, I am looking forward to the women's match. Gonna catch up on Impact this weekend but for a cheap plug, I'll bring a Lords of Pain to the show. Section 312 Row E seat 9.

It is worth mentioning that Rebel night club is pretty high end and is more of a EDM dance scene with expensive bottle service but with the occasional concert here and there every month. I don't think they've ever held a wrestling event before but it's one of those dress appropriate places with shitty parking so I don't know if I should wear plaid shirt and denim jeans or my funeral attire?
    Last edited by CanadianCrippler; 06-01-2018 at 02:02 PM.

I think that's fair. I don't actually really get into very many of the matches I see (certainly not when compared to 2010-2013) but there's a sense, at least, that the people in charge now actually know how to sell something to you.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know for sure who had the book in TNA - especially from the end of the Immortal angle, through Roode and Aries, to the start of Aces and Eights?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Hogan & Bischoff still held power through that whole era, but I'm not sure they did much week to week booking. I know Dave Lagana did a lot of work during that time but I don't think he was technically the head guy. Bruce Prichard, maybe? I know he was head of creative for at least part of that period, not sure who was before him.

That last episode that aired on the ith was bullshit. The X-Division tag matches were pretty good, especially the opener. Eli Drake's segment was the highlight of the show but it was used to transition from Scott Steiner to a feud with Moose. I not looking forward to that, myself but it helps Moose build up to compete against Aries. But it is still unfortunate how they handled Pentagon's short reign. He should have gotten a PPV to PPV run if they were just making him a paper champion. I'm not sure if the Edwards/Callihan match is lasting until Slammiversary but I really hope it doesn't. The fuckin' Unsanctioned Match between the two to close the show was horrendous and makes me regret buying a ticket!

Enough that i checked out ShopImpact and to nobody's surprise the show isn't souled out by any means hahaha. Debating on giving my buddy the cheap seat and just buying second row. still very cheap but tax included if you pay the right way.

The Brain
    Eli Drake vs. Moose doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, though hopefully Drake isn't just going to be run over to build up Moose. As I've said, everything about the Sami/Edwards feud I've seen has been a dud to me, so... yeah.

I see they've added Sydal vs. Cage to the card, which could actually be extremely fun. Not likely to be a pychological masterpiece, but if they make the right call to let them go full Reseda, or close to it, I think people will dig that one a whole lot. I'd be down with Cage as XD champ and I think he should probably get the win here before he runs up to the main event down the line.

Also saw they're having Johnny Mundo (Impact) back on, as well as Ishimori. Both are great talents to have on, though they don't have opponents yet. Should be interesting to see how the card continues to shape up.

Looks like Killer Kross was just introduced on Impact Thursday as the "mystery X attacker." Wonder what his role will be at Slammiversary. He's also apparently a big part of LU this season as well

Actually tuned into Impact Wrestling last week for the first time in many months.
    Decent episode. I'm excited for Moose to be doing so well. What's up with Eddie Edwards? Looked like he's on the verge of a psychotic break...
    Interesting seeing Madison Rayne playing a Gail Kim-like role at this show. Wonder if she'll win and then retire?
    Check out all the Cool Points columns here.
    LOP's resident nXt guy
    CF since 2013

I hope Madison does not win at Slammiversary. I'd rather see her fail and give Su Yung the rub.

The Brain
    I haven't thought much of Madison Rayne pretty much this whole decade. Definitely see her putting over Su Yung, if the company knows what's good for them.

It has been a long long time since watching Impact. Is Bound For Glory still their biggest card of the year. Slamiversary seems to have some sort of a ring to it.

The Brain
    BFG is a bit like Starrcade, in that it's importance fluctuates a bit depending on the year. It's still their biggest on paper but it's not unusual for Slammiversary to be a bigger deal.

I heard something that Jake Strong (Jack Swagger) might show up this Sunday. I don't know if it's true or not, but if that's the case, I'd like to see him put in a feud with Eli Drake.

I'm very surprised that Eli Drake isn't on the card, to tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    I heard something that Jake Strong (Jack Swagger) might show up this Sunday. I don't know if it's true or not, but if that's the case, I'd like to see him put in a feud with Eli Drake.

I'm very surprised that Eli Drake isn't on the card, to tell you the truth.
    Impact and Drake just finalized a contract. Without that set during their tapings they were just treading water with him. I would assume he'll be in the Title picture again very soon now that he is locked up long-term.

The Brain
    Am I the only person who finds Swagger just as dull now as he was from 2010 to whenever WWE released him? I know he looked like a hot prospect in 2009, but that was a hell of a long time ago.

Slammiversary is officially sold out. Does anyone know what Rebel holds? I would guess about 3k but I have no idea.

I read that they set it up for 2K

The Brain
    Very cool that they sold out, even in a bit of a small venue. At some point I'll check them out again, I think I'm officially over being put off by them last year. Now it's just a matter of fitting them into my schedule!

Read on the MP that Swann is a doubt for Slammiversary now?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Read that he was in the hospital with a concussion.

Luckily, the 4 way match Swann is in doesn't have any storyline behind it. It's just a cruiserweight style curtain jerker to get the crowd going. They could make drop it to just the three guys left and be fine.

***Impact! Global Heavyweight Championship
    (c)Austin Aries vs. Moose

Who Should Win: Austin Aries
    Who I Want to Win: Austin Aries

I'm going to spend my spare time before the show trying to get as many people as I can to go along with chanting "Goose" instead of "Moose" just for my own personal amusement. Not even joking. I feel like it's a subtle rib that'll translate well on your tv screen. I've followed Moose's career since ROH but fail to see what makes him worthy of this PPV main event match.

***Mask (vs) Hair Match
    Pentagon Jr. vs. Sami Callihan
    Who Should Win: Sami Callihan
    Who I Want to Win: Pentagon Jr.

I feel like Sami should get the win just because I haven’t seen him defeat anyone other than Eddie Edwards in recent memory. Now that I ponder this, maybe the wretched heel doesn't need it, regardless of if he's against a star like Penta[Insert names]gon Jr.

***Impact! Knockouts Championship
    (c) Su Yung (vs) Madison Rayne
    Who Should Win: Su Yung
    Who I Want to Win: Su Sung

I've actually never been a fan of Madison Rayne personally. Just never liked her voice, her heelish attitude, her babyface personalities or much of her in ring work. That being said I also dislike Su Yung's character... Fuck it, I'm getting drunk tomorrow.

***Impact! X-Division Championship
    (c) Matt Sydal vs. Brian Cage
    Who Should Win: Matt Sydal
    Who I Want to Win: Matt Sydal

Brian Cage is quickly becoming TNA's next Samoa Joe but, he fuckin' shouldn't be. Sydal needs the win more so to elevate his own status and maintain the credibility of the X-Division. I really appreciate Cage's work thus far but here's hoping for a successful title defense.

***Triple Threat Match / Fatal Four Way Match
    Fenix (vs) Johnny Impact (vs) Taiji Ishimori / (vs) TBA
    Who Should Win: TBA
    Who I Want to Win: Fenix

Fenix is my favorite wrestler going into this (perhaps fatal four way) match although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Impact! sent out a replacement for Swann to get the upset victory. It's just a matter of if and whom? (Guessing Tyson Dux)

***House of Hardcore Match
    Eddie Edwards vs. Tommy Dreamer
    Who Should Win: Eddie Edwards
    Who I Want to Win: Eddie Edwards

I loved Dreamer as much as the original ECW mark's did, but seriously Eddie Edwards is gonna go wolverine on his ass.

***"5150" Street Fight
    Santana and Ortiz (vs) Hernandez and Homicide
    Who Should Win: L.A.X.
    Who I Want to Win: L.A.X.

I've been watching old TNA BFG's so I nostalgically want the L.A.X. of old to win this.... However I haven’t seen either man compete since that God awful Beat Down Clan stable and I think Hernandez wasn't even allowed to wrestle then. Unless the OGz pull out a performance from 10 year's ago, I'm giving the win too Santana & Ortiz

***Tessa Blanchard vs. Allie

Who Should Win: Tessa Blanchard
    Who I Want to Win: Allie

Allie is adorable and Canadian.
    Last edited by CanadianCrippler; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:59 PM.

This show's been nuts.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    Callihan should never, ever beat Pentagon, under any circumstances.

Awesome show. Show of the year contender

I only happened to catch it in the middle of the main unfortunately. My only note is that the fact that Aries can do a stalling brainbuster to Moose is nuts.

Oh my God that was a fucking awesome night! I was in the second row across from the raised ramp so I got too see most of the show with the exception of outside spots. The guys around me were so dissatisfied with Petey bein the replacement for Rich. Wasn't a fan of any of the entrance music for the first match, sounded very generic. Same goes for the second match. Wasn't looking smooth from my point of view but, shit Blanchard's song sounds awesome live. At this point I was getting pretty buzzed so the rest of the show is remembered barely but spectacular.

I marked the fuck out when Sydal's legs caught the ropes! Holy shit that looked bad! Alot of people (myself included) didn't even pop or register for Cage's victory because of stereotypical Canadian concern for Sydal's health. Moving forward from that, I was really happy to get to see OGz wrestle together since starting the BFG column series. It didn't hold a candle to Pentagon (vs) Sami but a very fun garbage brawl. Fuckin Hernandez doing that over the top rope dive coming right at us was amazing.

I noticed as we entered that most of the crowd in attendance were guys in there thirties and I would argue that was why everyone was so hot start to end. It felt like I was around several hundred hardcore indy wrestling fan's and it was really jokes that probably 4 times everyone broke out in "Impact Wrestling" chants. . . That just doesn't sound well. But I respect that everyone was responding too everything. I mean literally everything!

match of the night was definitely Pentagon (vs) Callihan butmy only complaint was that they had two video trons for promos and video package's, but they never had a live feed going for any of the matches, which would have really helped with the hair cutting segment. Speaking of which, those video package's were done phenomenally. Made every match feel so much more important. Well fucking done.

Finally Su Yung's theme song is just awesome as fuck to hear live, the match was pretty good but nothing memorable other than what looked like a struggle cuddle finish. My man, double A cutting an awesome tweener promo before that great video package. I really enjoyed there match, crowd was split the entire time because Moose was booked to be a grand babyface, where as Aries is just the greatest man that ever lived. Loved how Aries is a fighting champion that decisively proves why he deserves to be the top guy.

I respect Moose for his effort, I think that was his best match he ever competed in and Aries sold great for him. Definitely recommend anybody else who has not watched this show to check it out, whether by hook or by crook. Definitely time well wasted.
    Last edited by CanadianCrippler; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:01 AM.