WWE Money in the Bank 2019 - LIVE Discussion

On May 19th there's the next PPV/Network Special offering, Money in the Bank.

So far there's two Becky Lynch matches on the card, defending each of her titles in one, and then Styles vs Rollins and Reigns vs Elias.

No participants for the two ladder matches announced as yet.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I feel like they should have focused on getting people into the MITB match after Mania ended, BUT in light of the superstar shake up, I'll give it a pass.

Hopefully Becky retains both. I like that they're letting her hold both belts instead of unifying them.

Given that this is for another, what, three weeks of TV, they've got bags of time to sort it all out.

I've read that WWE has 'big plans' for whoever wins MitB this year, probably because they've cocked up two winners in a row now by putting the case in the hands of Corbin and Strowman only to give them embarrassing losses by roll up and by no contest inside Hell in a Cell, which still blows my mind.

I say give it to Strowman again and rebuild him properly. McIntyre feels more likely to me, though.

The Brain
    Worth mentioning (though it's old hat at this point) that the case rarely elevates anybody even when they do win the title, so it may be a moot point. I'm sure the matches themselves will be fun car crashes as always though.

Looking forward to Rollins/Styles most.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Updated card:

1. Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lacey Evans WWE Raw Women's Championship
    2 Seth Rollins (c) vs. AJ Styles WWE Universal Championship[16]
    3 Braun Strowman vs. Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Baron Corbin vs. Ali vs. Finn Bálor vs. Andrade vs. Randy Orton Money in the Bank ladder match
    4 Natalya vs. Dana Brooke vs. Naomi vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley vs. Mandy Rose vs. Ember Moon vs. Carmella Money in the Bank ladder match
    5 Roman Reigns vs. Elias
    6 Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte Flair WWE SmackDown Women's Championship
    7 The Miz vs. Shane McMahon Steel cage match
    8 Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Kevin Owens WWE Championship

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Well, I am going with Drew Macyntire to win the men's money in the bank match at this point. Not sure who would win the women's. Maybe Bayley to set up a future heel turn for her as she cashes in on Becky? Lol wishful thinking on my part.

Out of that group, though, I'd be tempted to say Bayley is the best placed to win the case. Nobody else there has done anything in the past year or so.

Probably be Mandy, though.

Yeah, but then again, they could use the briefcase to build someone up like Ember Moon.

If I remember correctly, the briefcase holder can only cash in on the champion from his brand? If so, that's kinda lame.

Lol at using the briefcase to “build someone up”. When has that ever happened in the 14 years this concept has been around?

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Lol at using the briefcase to “build someone up”. When has that ever happened in the 14 years this concept has been around?
    Seth Rollins in 2014.

Also forgot about CM Punk twice!

I would argue that second briefcase was really Punk's ascension. The first honestly failed. Simliar to how Jack Swagger was champ for a bit then back to midcard/tags

The Brain
    Some have definitely benefited but I think it's not a stretch to say the results are mixed at best?

Edge 2005
    -Definitely successful, the most successful the case has ever been.

RVD 2006
    -RVD was already elevated in the eyes of the fans but WWE actually framed the title match well so I'll say it helped him.

Kennedy/Edge 2007
    -Didn't end up helping Kennedy and Edge was already at the same level.

CM Punk 2008
    -Definite failure.

CM Punk 2009
    -Definite success, though it was more the Jeff Hardy feud/SES stuff that elevated him than the case itself.

Jack Swagger 2010
    -Huge failure.

Kane 2010
    -No effect.

The Miz 2010
    -Some success, I guess? Your mileage may vary.

Daniel Bryan 2011
    -Not really successful, Bryan eventually got over but for reasons that had little to do with cashing in or holding the case.

Del Rio 2011
    -Failure.

Ziggler 2012
    -This seemed successful for a hot minute but looking back it didn't really work out in his favor.

Cena 2012
    -No effect, obviously.

Sandow 2013
    -Huge failure.

Orton 2013
    -No effect.

Rollins 2014
    -Somewhat successful, I guess? Rollins was already elevated by all the Shield stuff and the way his title reign played out arguably hurt him in the eyes of some fans.

Sheamus 2015
    -Big failure.

Ambrose 2016
    -No effect at best, Ambrose seemed to be getting less popular from what I recall by the time he was cashing in the case compared to earlier that year.

Carmella 2017
    -I actually have no idea. People don't seem that interested in Carmella so I don't think this was very successful.

Baron Corbin 2017
    -Definite failure.

Alexa Bliss 2018
    -Forgot this happened. I wanna say no effect but I could be wrong?

Strowman 2018
    -Huge failure.

So even going by the most generous definition, I feel like the case has only helped elevate someone 6 times out of 21.

Will say that the Case winner isn't always in the position to be elevated; Its just done for whatever reason in some cases... like I think Kane won it so he could drop the title to Taker in their last feud? My memory on that is hazy.

If say Almas won it, I would call that case of trying to elevete him but at the same time, if they don't do anything as an act for months ,its hard to see them as bigger stars just because they eventually cash in.

Guys like Drew and Finn shouldn't need the case to be in main events. Finn considering how over he is should already be there.
    Last edited by LK3185; 05-07-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Transgender Terror
    Kane dropped it to Edge. He consistently kicked The Undertaker's ass in that feud.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Kane dropped it to Edge. He consistently kicked The Undertaker's ass in that feud.
    He did win their first bout in that feud clean. The following two times was by crook though (Paul Bearer's interference in the Hell in a Cell match and Nexus interfering at Bragging rights). At least kane got a relatively meaningful world title reign at that time to redeem him from the travesty that was his wwe title reign in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Daniel Bryan 2011
    -Not really successful, Bryan eventually got over but for reasons that had little to do with cashing in or holding the case.
    I agreed with most of your assessment, mizfan, but this is one where I found myself immediately taking issue. Bryan winning the case, and specifically cashing it in, was definitely the genesis of his groundswell of support. I'm sure you can argue that, given how he went over the next year or eighteen months into Mania 29, it did nothing for him immediately, but:

- Bryan doesn't win the case and cash in, he doesn't start the 'yes' chant
    - Bryan doesn't start the yes chant, you don't get the fan support he had into Mania 28
    - Bryan doesn't get the fan support at Mania 28, you don't get the backlash against the 18 seconds thing
    - Bryan doesn't get that backlash, he's not kept in high profile through the Team Hell No work
    - Bryan loses that high profile, fans cool off on him and the SummerSlam main event doesn't happen
    - Bryan loses the SummerSlam main event, and he doesn't get the run to WM30 and all that came with it

The case was the jumping off point, in my opinion, for Bryan getting to where he did come WM30.

So wait, that was not a title match?

Weren't the USOs on Raw as per the shake up? Why did the commentators say they were Smackdown superstars? Screw this wildcard rule. Just end the brand split already.

And Joe jobs to Mysterio in less than 3 minutes......

EDIT: I was about to rage over Becky losing the title to Charlotte, until Bayley cashed in. I am okay with that!
    Last edited by LifeLostInRewind; 05-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Transgender Terror
    Lmao Lesnar

Staying away from WWE until he is gone for good.

Helluva swerve!

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Well now we know how they are going to get Lesnar on Smackdown.

YEAH, MY GIRL BAYLEY WITH THE BIG WINS!

First ever Female Grand Slam champion. Suck it, Charlotte. Fuck you, Two Belts.

Greatest PPV ever.

P.S. Yo, WWE, run Sami vs Brock for, like, 8 minutes on a PPV, yeah?

Transgender Terror
    Not until I get Brock vs Roman.

We had that twice already.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    We had that twice already.
    Actually, four times :]

Which is more than Rock/Cena, so what is with TO?

Transgender Terror
    AEW would give me what I want.

AEW does not want Cena, Rock or Lesnar, so good luck.

Jericho made that very clear with some of his tweets:

“Awesome to see @BrockLesnar win the #MoneyInTheBank match…even though he wasn’t officially entered! Brock is the future of the biz and this perfect example of genius booking shows why @WWE will remain on top FOREVER! #GoBrockGo”
    “Hey @wwe, @ringofhonor & @IMPACTWRESTLING … I love watching you push all your randoms, But just know that we are interested in maybe 6-8 of your talents total. We don’t need you! @AEWrestling”
    “Intimidation and fear goes a LONG way in our business guys. But let’s be honest, @BrockLesnar needs to pull up his pants and lose the gut… the dream is over dude. I don’t play by the script… @wwe @AEWrestling”

Jericho's such a perfect hype guy for AEW. Knows exactly the audience he's playing to and plucks them like a fiddle.