Thread: Luke Harper

Luke Harper

Luke Harper has requested his release.

Good. His match with Dijak(ovic) was apparently really good, although I haven't checked it out. But Harper has always been far too talented for the role WWE put him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Luke Harper has requested his release.
    See that one is really too bad. He's a guy that I would have assumed WWE would have done a lot more with. Playing second fiddle in a stable and never really being given the opportunity to get over really didn't help.

But I could see Vince not being fond of the look that Harper got called up with and just sort of writing him off. He's big enough that he'll look like a monster on the indies and should fill that Elgin role as the giant white guy in NJPW. Give him the Brody treatment.

The Brain

Luke Harper

Just read that instead of granting Luke Harper's release, instead WWE found a way to keep him even longer. Pretty shitty if true.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Just read that instead of granting Luke Harper's release, instead WWE found a way to keep him even longer. Pretty shitty if true.
    That's shitty. He needs to not drop it. He needs to push this publicly. It's like I said around Sasha, Harper has the power here. They can tell him to show up to TV and lose to Kalisto, and as long as he shows up and loses to Kalisto he's done the job he's contracted to do. But he's on live TV. If he stinks up the joint, phones it in or starts doing ridiculous high spots and flips with Kalisto, what are they going to do? If they won't let you quit, force them to fire you.

You think going a bit off script would get you fired? I mean I believe that's possible but also I'm not sure why WWE would put him on TV for any reason unless they had to. WWE can just make people sit at home. I believe Harper was healthy for awhile, had that Axxcess match and was probably told we'll call you when we need ya..

Which makes it even more curious why they wouldn't grant his release. I'm on Sasha's side but at least in her case, she would still be working regularly.

If they don't put you on TV, kick up a stink. He has 466k followers on Twitter and the wrestling media on his side. So make it public. Plead your case. Don't stay quiet like Neville did, don't pout and hope to get your way like Sasha. Make a scene and force them to fire your ass. Go on Jericho's show (now that WWE wrestlers aren't allowed on there anymore) and, without burying anyone, speak honestly.

If they think you have value to anyone else then they won't let you go no matter what. We all saw Harper's statement on asking for his release; the dude couldn't have been any more complimentary to WWE than he was for the opportunities they gave, and they STILL decided after that to not only not release him but to add time on his deal. Being civil and amicable won't work. Being angry and requesting your release behind the scenes, like Sasha did, won't work. Neither Harper nor Sasha will be booked on TV any time soon so you can't make a scene there, and I'm not sure rallying support online or going on a podcast will help either; if anything I think it would just make Vince want to weather the storm even more. This is the same company mind you that is going to continue to go back to Saudi Arabia despite what happened to that journalist last fall and the 37 beheadings that just happened this past week to people for false terrorism charges. I get that's for a lot of money but if they're going to stand firm on that, they'll be more than happy to withstand any backlash they get from two people wanting out, especially if it keeps them away from places they don't want them going.

The only recourse I see for Sasha or Harper is to go the legal route. That's not necessarily a great idea either unless you get a lawyer pro bono, as it will cost a shit ton of money and WWE will likely delay the proceedings as long as possible. But it's the best course. We've seen with Brock Lesnar, CM Punk, Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio (who merely used the threat of filing a lawsuit to get out of his first deal) that WWE will back down if they think a lawsuit will lead down the road to shattering the independent contractor status. Perhaps Sasha, Harper or both can find a lawyer pro bono, can team up to pay a lawyer or get a lawyer through someone else (less we forget, Sasha is related to a very rich man in Snoop Dogg who could probably help her out if needs be) to fight this. It may not work even then, but that's frankly the only way out immediately that I see. Otherwise I think WWE is more than happy to just let them stew, and unfortunately there's nothing they can do about it, no matter how loud the people scream for them to be let go.

The Brain
    Someone on twitter asked if you could get out of your contract by repeatedly violating the Wellness Policy. I wonder!

Transgender Terror
    Why not shoot Stephanie McMahon?

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    You think going a bit off script would get you fired? I mean I believe that's possible but also I'm not sure why WWE would put him on TV for any reason unless they had to. WWE can just make people sit at home. I believe Harper was healthy for awhile, had that Axxcess match and was probably told we'll call you when we need ya..

Which makes it even more curious why they wouldn't grant his release. I'm on Sasha's side but at least in her case, she would still be working regularly.
    Wasn't it rumored that Becky went off script when she pinned Ronda at Mania? Or was that theory debunked?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Wasn't it rumored that Becky went off script when she pinned Ronda at Mania? Or was that theory debunked?
    I hadn't heard that theory, only that the ref screwed up the finish, not that anyone went off script.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I hadn't heard that theory, only that the ref screwed up the finish, not that anyone went off script.
    I saw it on the main page I thought. Weird.

The Brain
    I thought the finish got screwed up because Ronda broke her hand?

Any update in this case?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Apparently a fan suggested to Bray on twitter to bring Harper to the "firefly funhouse" and Bray said "I'm working on it", so who knows at this point?

The Brain
    Big grain of salt, of course, but the story goes that Haper was planned to work with Sami Zayn when he returned, but Vince scrapped it at the last minute and doesn't want to do anything with him. The weirdest part is supposedly Vince is hung up on the fact that he can't do a southern accent. Considering how much Vince has loved booking southern hillbillies in the past, it's not a stretch to believe there's some truth to it.

Pretty petty of him, tbh.

You gotta love Bray Wyatt thinking the best way to be a friend to Harper is to fight for him to be a bit player in his new gimmick and not, you know, speaking out on the fact that the WWE is pretty much holding Harper hostage because he dares to want to work elsewhere. I get you don't want your friend to leave and all but if being your lackey did him no favors for the first half of his WWE career, what makes you think it'll start doing so now?

Like I said in the Sasha Banks thread, if Harper wants out he needs to seek a legal avenue. That is unfortunately the only way considering what WWE is doing to him. It's obviously easier said than done and costs a ton of money, but it's really the best course unless you want to a) sit out and lose a year or b) go back to a job you clearly don't want to be a part of anymore. See if you can find a lawyer and fight this. We've seen in the past with Punk, Del Rio and Lesnar that WWE can be vulnerable with the right legal case. Perhaps this is one of those instances.

The Brain
    Trying to give Bray the benefit of the doubt, if Harper's going to be stuck anyway he may prefer to at least have something to do instead of sitting at home. Does seem like a situation where at least saying nothing might have been more appropriate though.

It's funny when you watch something a few weeks after the fact.

Percy Watson: "You can hear the fans cheering his name, you can tell these fans know how capable and how dangerous Luke Harper is, and they are happy to see him back in the ring!"

Maybe not the message he's going to be told to put out there right now.

Just posting this - taken from another site since the bulk of the discussion in here.

We were told the match itself was a disaster to put together and execute, and that Luke Harper wasn't happy that Braun Strowman both forgot his spot and that Ali ended up hurt in the match. In addition to that, Braun hit Harper with a stiff kick just ahead of that. Harper, in an effort to protect Ali during his elimination, hurt his back and/or shoulder trying to keep him from flying out of control. Afterwards, we're told that Strowman didn't think he had done anything wrong, which caused a little more frustration.

A source close to the situation spoke of the Harper vs. EC3 match and said that Vince McMahon himself seemed to have a long-term issue with Luke Harper and that whatever happened wouldn't have mattered anyway, going as far as to say that McMahon "decided to hate anything he was involved in long ago."

It's worth mentioning that Harper has had a few good runs with WWE, including the original trio with the Wyatt Family, and Intercontinental Title reign, and a dominating stint along with Rowan as a member of the Bludgeon Brothers. Injuries completely and repeatedly derailed almost every version of the Wyatt Family along the way.

I don't think the Intercontinental title reign was good, tbh. It seemed very short lived.. I think his brief face turn had potential, though.

Well, apparently this could all be coming to an end - fair few reports he'll be back on the road with WWE soon.

Those reports have been refuted; when WWE was asked about it they had no idea where that came from. For now he's still sitting out till his deal is up, though that can always change.